+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite Garth Concert Quote

Favorite Garth Concert Quote

Having just seen Garth twice this week in Buffalo I noticed that one of the big attractions about his concert is not only the music, but also the conversations that go on between Garth, the band, and the audience in between songs. My question, What is your favorite quote from Garth during a live concert. To start it off....<p>If you know the words, sing along. If you don't know the words...keep drinkin'!<br> Garth Brooks, Buffalo 9/25/98N

Great subject!<p>Don, I have to agree with ya on that one. I was there for that quote and it just "made the moment".<p>At the Sunday show in Buffalo he had another cool quote... "Well, because some of you have to be to work early tomorrow morning, you're free to leave now... and for everyone else, we might as well keep on playin'!! " <br>I quoted that as close as I possibly can recall!<p>Also, at the Sunday show, a person in the audience had a sign that said "Jimmy is a Sex Pot"... and during the "Jimmy skit", Garth had to ask the girl w/ the sign "What the heck is a Sex Pot?".... then Garth went on to say "Geez Jimmy, does that mean your nickname is Sex?" ... or something like that... gosh, my memory is a little overloaded after seeing Garth 3 times in 5 nights! But, I can still hear every note and see every emotion on his face!! <p>Jim from Rochester, NYN

The first one that comes to my mind happened in Amarillo at an outdoor concert in July of 1997. I was fortunate enough to be in the third row, directly in front of the stage.<p>Garth finished a song and was walking to the right side of the stage and the crowd over there just went crazy. It got the best of him, and he giggled and gave them one of those wide-eyed, crazy Garth looks. Then he proceeded toward to left side of the stage, and the crowd over there went crazy, too (of course). Then he walked toward the back of the stage; the same thing happened. Then he went to the front of the stage, and of course we were the loudest because there were more people at the front. Garth bent the front of his hat back and acted like to crowd's response was blowing him backwards. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. It was one of those things where you had to be there to appreciate it. Anyway, then he said something like, "Man, it happens no matter which way I go. I wonder what would happen if you all went off at once...?" Of course, this statement made everybody in the stadium go crazy. Garth has a way of working the crowd like this, unlike any performer I've ever seen.N

Well my favorite quote has to be from a show here in PA, in his Jimmy skit.....he says to Jimmy, Rule #1. Never wear jeans tighter than the boss! <br>Gotta LOVE those wranglers!!!! ;) N

These are mine (and I have been quoting it for weeks now).<p>Someone in the audience (Philly saturday night) had a sign that said "Jimmy, you're our sweer Tater Bridges." Garth found this so funny that he continued to make jokes about it all night. Including:<p>Hey, Mr. Bridges. Can I just call you Tater since we're such good spuds. (Insert kneeslap here.)<p>Hey Jimmy, why don't you PEEL us off another song?<p>Or to another sign for Jimmy that read "Hey Jimmy your band's got a cool lead singer." the G-man's response: Come on, you could've gotten your mom a better seat than that.<br>N

My favorite Garth quote comes from Philly. He was making fun of James' banjo, had him play a couple of notes, then, with electric guitar in hand, says, "I got the BIG Stick" and lets loose. As if that wasn't enough of the sexual inuendo, he then turns around and starts to walk to the other side of the stage, and says "Who says size doesn't matter" That would have to be the best one I've heard. I'd like to find out if its true, personally, but.....sorry, just Garthasizing again.<p>Great topic. Keep 'em comin.<p>God BlessN

Hey, THE KING.......I was at that Amarillo 1997 concert as well (my first) and was 6th row center stage, right behind ya' !!!!! <br>So, you can correct me if I misquote this but what really got to me that night was when he said, right after playing The Dance, "People have been asking me all week Why Amarillo?"...and then he went on to point out the couples dancing up in the nosebleed section and other small personal things he noticed in the crowd throughout the night, and then said....."By God, THIS is why Amarillo!!!!" Of course, the crowd went wild! Amarillo was not near the large venue that he's played other places and it taught me right then and there how important every single fan is to him, no matter what city he's in. It made me realize how humble he is and how important it is to him that each person in the audience feels what he feels when he's on stage. God Bless GB!! N

ILoveGarth ---<p>Girlfriend, there is definitely NOTHING wrong with Garthasizing (and I like that term !! -- "very cool" !!). You have my sentiments exactly !!<p>Whatever gets you through the day !!! :&gt; <p>P.S. Will somebody tell me how everyone is doing those cool smily faces, frowny faces, winking faces ? I do not profess to be a computer guru, so please help !!N

sandytoo -<p>If you will look in the top-right corner of the forums page, there is a link called "FAQ" (for Frequently Asked Questions). Go there and it has instructions on how to do each different face.N

garthfanatic -<p>Cool! I was talking about sort of the same thing on one of the other forums (I think the "PG Questions and Suggestions" forum). Somebody was upset that Garth hasn't been to Europe yet and I was explaining what he's been doing in the U.S. He is kind enough to play small cities like Amarillo when he doesn't really have to. I pointed out that George Strait gets nominated for Entertainer of the Year, and he only did THREE shows in Texas this last year (one in Dallas, one in Houston, and one in San Antonio). Garth played NINETEEN shows in Texas in the past year! (two in Amarillo, three in Ft. Worth, three in Dallas, six in San Antonio, and five in Houston). It is clear how much more Garth does for his fans than other "entertainers." I think most people that criticize him don't actually know how much extra he does (or they don't pay attention to it).<p>P.S. Don't get me wrong about George. I like his music okay (mostly his older stuff), but he isn't HALF the entertainer that Garth is.N

<br>theking ---<p>Thanks for the info on the smilies :), I feel somewhat embarrassed :o that I had not read the faq before. Oooops !!N

I'm wittcha, ILOVEGARTH. I was there when he said that and whatta moment it was. :) Definately one of the best!!!! :) <p>BTW ain't nothin wrong with girlies GARTHasizing! :) Just can't help ourselves....cause he's da MAN! :)<p> N

ILoveGarth - That has to be the funniest!!! I would have been in Garthfantasyland too!!! :)<p>I've only been to two concerts, but my quote is the same as Garthnutt4life. Jimmy's jeans can't be tighter than the bosses!! :) <p>By the way Garthnutt4life I'm from Pa too!!! Maybe we were at the same concert...I was at State College.<p>Okay, I don't want to sound dumb....but(if the shoe fits, right)can someone explain the story behind (no pun intended) "Tater Bridges"? I don't understand that one. :)<p>Thanks.<p>Mary LouN

Mary Lou - <p>I think the "Tater Bridges" is supposed to be "Tater Britches." "Jimmy - You're our sweet tater britches" (in reference to his tight britches/jeans/pants). I wasn't there, so I could be wrong, but that's the way I interpreted cybersadie's posting.N

I think the nicest thing that Garth said was after his performance of "Unanswered Prayers" in Central Park. God, what Garth said really showed how much the fans meant to him..correct me if it's not right..<br>He said: <br> "it is the greatest gift in my mind that you can give to somebody that does this kind of thing for a living, the greatest thing you can do for them is to take their song and sing it right back to them.. the way you did that to me..and thanks for doing it...."<p>I think only Garth can come out this kind of words. He truly appreciates his fans...N

My favorite quote from him, shows a lot about the dad side of him.<br>Standing on stage in the middle of 17,000 screaming fans he said..... the only thing better then standing on this stage singing to all of you, is holding those three little girls in my arms.N

&lt;img src="http://members.tripod.com/~gifs123/felix.gif"&gt;N

Well I have to agree with Honky on the Quote about "singging it RIGHT BACK AT YA!!!" But the one I've heard at all 7 times I've seen him and I know you all have heard it EVERY time you've seen him...<br> HELLLLOOOOOO NEW YORK!!!<br>or Spokane or Washington or Los Angeles...<br>Well you get the picture. What a way to start a PERFECT night!!!<br>DeniseN

When I went on Friday, I loved when he was making fun of Jimmy and he said (*quoting a sign) "It says Move over Garth, which is me, We want Jimmy, which is you. And the worst thing about that is that is my Wife up there"N

My favorite quote was from the Concert on Wed. night (Oct 7th) Garth was talking about what they did after the show Tuesday night, and he said that a bunch of the crew members were surfing the internet and Garth was watching them, he said he's computer illeterate, but he was checking it out cuz he wanted to see what people were saying about him, hence "Planet Garth Forums" MAYBE!!, Anyways he says and I quote "I was checking it out and everything was Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy. There was one lady, and for your sake I hope it was a lady, that wrote, That Jimmy is "ALL JEANS"! So Mr. All Jeans what do you have to say about that!" For the rest of the night anytime that he referred to Jimmy he call him Mr. All Jeans or Internet Boy!<p>ThatsummerN

This one is from a while back, but Garth was talking about meeting with a terminally ill young boy before the concert. He kept talking about how the kid would say how much he loved his parents, etc. Then he said the boy had made a private request to him to play a specific song for his mom. <br>Garth said "How about "The Dance"<br>The boy said "Nope"<br>Garth said "If Tomorrow Never Comes"<br>the boy said "no, not that one either"<br>Garth then said "Are you sure it's one of mine?"<br>The kid said "I'm sure"<br>Then Garth said "Well here's what he wanted............<p>Blame it all on my roots......"N

Hey Lou, I was at the State College show too!! We went to the Sat night one. That is "very cool" that you are also from PA! :)<p>Oh and yes in Philly the sign said "Jimmy is our sweet tater britches". I was there and theking has all the info correct. Garth sure wouldn't let him live that one down!! He called him tater britches all night!!N

Hey!<br>On Sunday night in Philly, someone had a sign saying "Hay, Jimmy, can we peel your tater?" (or something like that). He was called "Tater Britches" all of the Sunday show as well.<br>Someone else had a sign that said "Jimmy for Pesident", so he was called "Mr. President" also. I can't remember exactly what Garth said about that sign (in the bit before Jimmy's solo, that leeds into "The Fever"), but it was something like: "Let's see if you really are President, or if you've just been fooling around".<br>Maybe next time I need to take a note book with me to write all the comments down.<br>BritsN

I SAW GARTH ON SUNDAY JULY 27,1997 AT COOPER STADIUM IN COLUMBUS,OH. AND I LOVE THE SAYING<br>THAT HE SAID THERE AT THAT CONCERT HE SAID SOMETHING LIKE THIS... WHY ARE ALL OF YOU GUY'S STANDING YOU GUY'S CAN SIT DOWN.I WOULD SIT BUT MY PANTS ARE TOO TIGHT TO SIT...<p>ANGELA...N

My funniest Garth quote was in Dallas, 1993 at the free Sunday taping of "This is Garth Too", there was this lady going arounding combing the bands hair, Garth took his hat off for her to come his, and she wouldn't do it and Garth said, "I guess I don't have enough hair". I think that was also the best Garth concert I have ever been to. Actually he didn't sing, it was audio tapes of the concert and it was for close up shots of Garth and the band. That Sunday night concert lastest from 8:00 - 1:00 in the morning. That was the night that I totally fell in love with the Garthman. He talked to everyone between takes and told jokes. I found out that night just how much Garth appreciates his fans.N

<b>cocomo -</b><p>A little off the subject, but was this actually the filming of <i>This Is Garth Brooks, Too!</i>, or was it the filming of the video for "Callin' Baton Rouge"? Because I know that after they finished <i>This Is Garth Brooks, Too!</i>, the next day Garth let in a crowd of people for free to be the audience while he filmed the video for "Callin' Baton Rouge".N

theking<p>I can tell you that some of the taping from that sunday is on "Callin' Baton Rouge" because I am in it. I went to 2 of the 3 concerts, Friday night and Saturday night and Sunday was free and only 7000 people showed up, Garth was very disappointed. On the folling Monday Garth left togo the the CMA awards which was on Wednesday night. N

I saw Garth last night in Orlando. The sound was not always the best, so we couldn't hear everything he said, but the Jimmy skit was great! Garth went on and on about all the Jimmy signs in the audience, and kept reassuring him that he wasn't jealous. "Of course I'm not jealous, why should I be jealous?" He went on to say, "I guess you've got your own frickin' fan club!" He continued teasing Jimmy, challenging him entertain solo, asking if he could "take the pressure?"....the answered his own question by saying, "Well...I guess if you can take the pressure of those jeans, you can take the pressure of playing for these folks" ;)<br>What fun this group of wonderful entertainers are!!N

+ Reply to Thread