+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kenny Chesney...here to stay!

Kenny Chesney...here to stay!

Since Garth seems to think Chris Gaines is a good idea, singers like Kenny Chesney are moving right up trying to take his spot at the top (with George Strait). Kenny's last 2 albums are amazing and his run at #1 with "how forever feels" was very impressive. Look out GB, Kenny is on the rise.N

oh please,thats funny.....<P>aRiN
    Today...at this moment...it's a good day. . .

-

' I've conquered my past
    The future is here at last
    I stand at the entrance
    To a new world I can see
    The ruins to the right of me
    Will soon have lost sight of me '
    --U2

-

I really like Kenny's music, but I dont think he can be compared to Garth :oN

thejaymoney, I could not agree with you more. With Garth taking a break from country music newer artists such as Kenny Chesney are finally able to make their move to the top of the charts. Kenny is having an amazing ride with his current album and it doesn't look like the ride is going to stop any time soon. His live shows could rival Garth's any day. I love Garth and can't wait to see him in concert again but I'm really glad that Kenny is finally getting the success that he has worked so hard for. He definitly deserves it. When Garth does come back (other than Christmas albums) he will have to fight Kenny for the #1 spot. Remember Kenny did keep George Strait out of #1--that says alot!N

I totally agree with Shannon, but I don't think it will be a problem for Garth to remove Kenny from the top :D<P>BrianN
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    COME ON! Let's Join Up!
    Let's rise out of this dirt
    Escape from this oppression this anger and this hurt
    The ignorance, intolerance, stupidity and lies
    That's spreading like a virus and ruining our lives
    All we need is honesty to push away this night
    Lets hang on to our innocence and hold each other tight
    ~*~*~Die Toten Hosen~*~*~

I would have to argue and say that Tim McGraw is the hottest male act right now. I'm talking about career wise, but some of you ladies might feel he's hot in other ways, too :) His new album has consistently been selling above everyone except Shania and the Chicks and no one has had more success on the radio song in, song out over the last 5 years, no one. That came straight from Billboard. After all, he did win Male Vocalist of the year at this year's ACM's, TNN/Music City Awards, and the CMA's. That says something, too! And, he has the best selling catalog right now, even over Garth. So I don't know what else he has to do to prove that he is the hottest male act right now. But I would say that currently, Kenny Chesney is hotter than Garth. If you look at their carreers, Kenny is still a mouse compared to Garth, but Garth's last single didn't do so well on the charts, and Kenny's last 2 singles did go to #1, and his latest is burning up the charts as well. But Kenny still has a long road before he can compare to Garth career wise. I don't think Garth can be the king of the mountain again until he focuses all his attention on country music, which might not be for another couple years. N

ya know.. even if Garth is never "King" again..<P>It will take at the very least 5 years for ANYONE to be as big (career wise) as Garth is right now.<P>That goes for Kenny, McGraw, or any other Male COuntry artist.<P>Your opinions may very...<BR>...but this one belongs to:<BR><B><I>Jason</I></B> :)N

Even Mr. Strait?N

t.m. yes even Mr. Strait...<P>let me explain.. Ask Brian how "popular" Mr. Strait is in Denmark.. or for that matter anywhere other then "North America" :)<P>so yes.. even Mr. George Strait.<P>Your opinions may very...<BR>...but this one belongs to:<BR><B><I>Jason</I></B> :)N

I love the song "How Forever Feels". I like Tim and George too. But NO ONE will be as big as Garth. :PN

Well, George Strait, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney.... are unfortunately not very popular here :(<P>It's easier to write the ones they DO play every now and then :)<BR>GB <BR>Faith<BR>Shania is played ALOT<BR>The Chicks is played ALOT<BR>Vince Gill<BR>Trisha<BR>Travis Tritt<BR>Marty Stuart<BR>Billy Ray<P>That's some of the artist who are played here in Denmark, but you have to be very lucky to hear them, except with the Chichs and Shania :D<P>BrianN
    COME ON! Let's Join Up!

LOL! Thanks Brian :)<P>Point proven :)<P>*runs*<P>JasonN

For some reason, I think <B>Chris Gaines</B> is going to be more popular than <B>Kenny Chesney</B> :) Just a matter of time. Although Kenney has quite few good songs, but they are not nothin' compared to Garth's.<P>TommyN
    "Life is like a piano--play to its fullest"

"A good start is half the job!"

"When we free do love anyone we choose... WE SHALL BE FREE" by Mr. Brooks

To the special man in my life: Shnuggie.

I forgot to mention the real stars here in DK :)<BR>Waylon<BR>Kris <BR>Johnny <BR>Kenny<BR>Dolly<BR>Emmylou<BR>etc.etc.<BR>ALL the "Old" stars from the past :)<P>Jason! Who are you running from? :o<P>BrianN
    COME ON! Let's Join Up!

<B>Tim McGraw</B> is good too, but I think he has surpassed his peak. Garth has surpassed too, but at least both artists are WELL KNOWN and VERY POPULAR. <P>TommyN

You guys are forgetting one very important thing. Garth himself was relatively unknown until "No Fences" came out. For some reason that album flew off the shelves.The same<BR>thing can happen again at any time. It could happen for anybody. There are so many talented artists waiting to get some recognition. Wow, where do you start--it could be Dixie Chicks, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Collin Raye, Diamond Rio, Lonestar, John Michael Montgomery, newer artists like Andy Griggs, Brad Paisley, Shane Minor, Jason Sellers. Any of these artists could easily come out with an album that EVERYONE had to have. I highly doubt any one knew that "No Fences" was going to be as big as it was. In fact I beleive after all the controversy over "The Thunder Rolls" even Garth thought his career was over. You can never say that "it will take five years" for any artist to get to Garth's level. Granted they are not going to be able to sell 100 million albums in 1 year, but they don't have to to be at Garths level. All they have to do is have one BIG album and a great tour. Sure it will take a while for any artist to have a tour like Garth's last world tour but it doesn't mean that it's not going to happen. When I first replyed I tried to keep it on the topic of Kenny. However, if you asked me to put money down on "who could be the next Garth" if you believe such a thing is possible I would have to go with the Dixie Chicks. Their debut album already sold 8 million and their sophomore effort is doing just as well. Like Garth they are country but pop fans like them as well. That's what it takes to be big. But trust me whomever has that really big album will be heard all over the world in a matter of weeks. So regardless of who they play in Europe now it could be anyone in a year or two. <BR>I have a question for you Brian--When did they start playing Garth on the radio over there? I'm willing to bet it was after "No Fences". N

Anon... but your forgetting one thing..<P>we was talking about male artists.. so the Chicks don't qualify :)<P>JasonN

Anonymous!<BR>How did you know that?? :o<P>It was after No Fences, but I have to say that Billy Ray Cyrus opened the door for him with Achy Breaky Heart :)<BR>It was a MAJOR hit here :D<P>Since that song we have been listening to more and more country music :)<P>BrianN
    COME ON! Let's Join Up!

Chris Gaines,<P>Personally, I've never put too much stock into international sales and popularity. Why they play Faith, Garth, Shania, etc. overseas and not Tim isn't the fault of Tim or his music. Perhaps the former mentioned have music that would be considered here in America as "crossover" music. Many traditionalists as a result dislike these crossover artists such as Garth, Shania, Dixie Chicks, etc. But if people overseas don't like Tim McGraw, it's probably because they haven't heard a whole lot of him. But people in the U.S. have, and I personally don't know anyone who doesn't like any Tim McGraw songs. But it's impossible for me to know how popular each artist is in the 194 countries, so I just focus on the U.S. Personally, I don't think there will be "another Garth". He is a very unique individual with unique songs and concert performances. He has wrote his page in the history books of country music, and music in general and won't soon be forgotten. Country music traditionally hasn't been about flare or vogue, it's been about truth, and having messages people can relate to. Some of the most popular artists today might not be around too much longer since they have become so trendy. When I see artists like George Strait, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, even Kenny Chesney, artists who make music that they love and believe in, not necassarily what they think will sell 10 million records, those are the artists that will leave deep roots in country music and whose songs will be revered 50 years from now. I hardly think songs like "That Don't Impress Me Much" will still be popular 50 years from now when Brad Pitt isn't so handsome anymore.<P>P.S. to Honky, what makes you say that Tim McGraw has already peaked? It's WAY too early to make such statements when he is coming off his first ever CMA male vocalist of the year award and his second straight Album of the Year. And if you've heard his new album, you'd know that he still has several huge hits left. N

<B>t.m.fan</B>,<P>Well, I said that is because he is selling lesser than his previous ones. When I said "peak" it doesn't mean his stuff is not good or whatever that was fausely implied. <P>Take a look at George. He had won 3 Male Vocalist of the Year before Tim won this year. But do you think George hasn't reached his peak yet? Oh yeah, I would say he has passed his peak long time ago. <P>Everyone has a different level of <I>peak</I>. Tim just seems to have a higher peak than some other artists. He is still making big impact to country music, and he is known by millions. But again, it's very hard for Tim to sell another 6 millions like his previous one. It's great to see him with Faith because they, together, might be able to create another peak ;) It's the "TIME" that counts.. so if Tim is able to stay in this industry like Geroge for more than 15 years, then this is better than "at the peak of his career" for just a couple years. It's like one-hit wonders..LOL Those people have one or 2 huge hits, but they can't stay in the industry for long. Those people also passed their peak, but it's a shorter scale compared to Tim's. <P>TommyN

Honky,<P>You are correct in that so far, Tim has sold less and less albums with each successive album. But who hasn't? Look at Garth, his first sold 9 million, then 16, 14, 8, 8, 6, 6. Look at Brooks & Dunn their first sold 5, then 4, 3, 2, 1. I think their's just a general decline in country sales overall. But Tim McGraw's new album debuted at #1 on the pop charts! Garth Brooks is the only other male country act to do this. Tim hadn't done it before. Also, his album has only been out 6 months and it has already sold 2 million in the U.S. and there have only been 2 singles released so far! He's got at least 4 or 5 more to go. And many people wait until an album has 3 or more songs they really like before they buy an album. I know I do. And, he has 2 absolutely fabulous songs called "Somebody Must Be Prayin' For Me" and "Carry On" that are sure to grab a lot of people's attention. So like I said, give him another year or so and then we'll see. Besides, "Everywhere" sold 3 million, "All I Want" sold 3 million, and "Not A Moment Too Soon" has sold 5 million. I think the last one sold so many because of the song "Don't Take The Girl". Besides, I don't see too many other male country acts outselling Tim McGraw. Maybe for a couple weeks, but Tim's album is still going stronger over the long haul and it isn't too far behind his other albums. I think it's just more of a decline in country overall, not necassarily in Tim McGraw albums in proportion to other male acts. N

<B>t.m.fan</B>,<P>Interestingly, the country selling was strongest LAST YEAR :o With Garth's, LeAnn Rimes, Shania Twain, country has sold 12% compared to overall selling in the States :D But again, country in gerneral has GONE DOWN :( Stars selling for Reba, Alan Jackson, George, and Brooks&Dunns all dropped. I think Tim is the only one who is keeping up the pace. I guess you're right, the album has only been released for 6 months, maybe there is a great potential later. <P>Garth's selling has gone too, but considering the fact that he has been out for more than 10 years now, so it's no surprise that the selling is relatively low compared to his previous mega success. But hey, if Garth could stick to 2~3 millions for the next 10 years, HE WILL BE THE KING OF ALL MUSIC GENRE!! :D <P>TommyN

i know i may be a little bias but i don't think you can compare <B>ANY country singer to Garth</B> i've noticed that with critics too, in the early days Garth was compared to other country people but now they only compare him to pop or rock artists..... example, i really don't think any country artists could have took the top spot for "Super Tuesday" other then the G-man! and if you notice like on a big release day they talk about all the "big" releases but if a country artist releases a record on that day you will only hear that it was released by country radio or the country industry, except for Garth seeing how he had the highest profile cd.<P>aRiN

-

' I've conquered my past
    I stand at the entrance
    To a new world I can see
    --U2

-

I have to agree with tm fan that Tim McGraw is the hottest male artist right now. It took me a long time to warm up to him, but his new CD is really awesome & I heard that he was the best thing going at the George Strait concert in San Antonio.<BR>I love Kenny Chesney's music, but I'm truly sorry. There is no way he compares to Garth. Kenny will have succeed in his own right, but it would take a lot more to knock Garth out of the top spot. When he was in Austin last week doing Austin City Limits there was a spot on the news & Garth was called on the of the greatest artists in America...not even specifiying country. I think that says it all.N

I thought I'd add one more tidbit to this discussion. It has nothing to do with sales or what the media says about the artist. In an interview Playboy magazine George Jones was asked who the two best current country singers were. His answer: Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney. That says it all right there. No mention of Garth, or Tim McGraw. You've got to give him some credit for that. <BR>Also, you guys seem to have some really strong opinions about Kenny and his music, out of curiosity how many of you have one of his CDs? You will see that many of the album cuts are better than the radio releases. Problem is is that they are "too country" to be played on radio. <BR>For the record I have all of Garth's CDs and all of Tim's (except for Welcome to the Club). I think they are all great, but I think that Kenny will have more staying power than Tim. Kenny is taking his time to the top but he will get there someday. It's just a matter of time.<BR>N

no mention of Garth because he does not like Garth<P>aRiN

-

' I've conquered my past
    I stand at the entrance
    To a new world I can see
    --U2

-

Anonymous,<P>I have Kenny's "I Will Stand", my brother has his "Everywhere We Go", and I have heard one of his other one's, the one with "The Tin Man" I think. I Don't really care for his new one, or "The Tin Man" cd, but I really like "I Will Stand". I love the accoustic version of "When I Close My Eyes". Whether or not Tim will still be popular ten years from now remains to be seen, but whether he is or not, he has already left his mark, too. He has a great personality and a great music sense, so if he isn't around, it will probably be by choice, to pursue other endeavors. But songs like "Don't Take The Girl", "It's Your Love", "I Like It, I Love It", "Somebody Must Be Praying For Me", "Where The Green Grass Grows", etc. etc. etc. will never go away. Those songs will become classics someday, just like "Friends In Low Places", "The Dance", "Unanswered Prayers", and just like most of George Strait's songs. 20 years from now, it won't be a competition anymore, we'll all just look back and relive the great music that all of these artists are making. N

t.m. fan, You know for a fact that "I Like, I Love it" will be a classic? I like Tim McGraw, don't get me wrong but I think this song dates itself easily. That's like saying that "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" will be a classic song--it's great right now but it's the most "pop-country" song that Kenny has and pop country usually doesn't have a long staying power. I don't doubt that "Don't Take the Girl" will always be around. I also don't doubt that "That's Why I'm Here" will be a classic. As well as many other Kenny songs like "Me & You" and "When I close My Eyes". Tim is cool but I think he tries to hard to pick out catchy tunes. Every song on A Place in The Sun reminds me of a song on Everywhere. I really think we've heard enough "safe" songs from Tim. I really wish he would take a chance and release a song like "Carry on" that might not be big on radio. I don't think he would though, it means more to him to be #1. So I guess we'll have to keep listening to "something like that", "where the green grass grows" and all those other ditty songs and combine them with the sappy love songs until we realize that we're bored with him. Just my opinion, but I do think that a good artist should have variety in his/her music. A radio friendly artist is not necessarily a great artist. Even Garth has had trouble getting songs played--he always pushes the envelope. I can't say the same for Tim. Just my opinion.N

Anonymous,<P>You are absolutely correct in saying that a radio friendly arist doesn't necassarily make a great artist, but I don't know of two bigger radio friendly artists than Garth and Shania. "Carry On" happens to be one of Tim's favorite songs and I'm sure they'll release it, or at least they better! And Tim didn't even plan on releasing "Something Like That" which I happen to think is in incredible song for several reasons besides the catchy melody which I won't go into right now, but radio stations played the song so much that it broke the top 30 without even being released by the record label! They had no choice but to release it! "Where The Green Grass Grows" in my opinion is just an awesome tune. It was ranked in a Garth-biased chart as the 25th greatest country song all time, the same chart that ranked "Friends In Low Places" #1. And you're right, "I Like It, I Love It" has the same sound as "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", but I think the lyrics to ILIILI make a little more sense. They can't all be slow, serious songs. I would also argue that "Everywhere" and "A Place In The Sun" sound very different. Many people were initially disappointed with the different sound, because it was just that-- different. Tim's new album is one of the most original sounding country albums I've heard. Only one song could be considered your classic honky-tonk country, and a couple might be considered on the pop side of country, but many fall somewhere else, like the title track, My Next Thirty Years, Senorita Margarita, The Trouble With Never, Eyes Of A Woman, it's all cutting edge, Country 2000. Everywhere has a much more neo-traditional feel to it. And Tim just picks out songs that he likes and what he feels suits his voice. That's all you can really ask. If anyone goes out of their way to record catchy tunes, that would have to be Shania Twain. Tim took a big chance by recording a lot more slow stuff on his new album. The safe bet is having a healthy dose of fast stuff, songs that no matter what, you can tap your toes to, like Shania's newest album. With slow songs, it's hit or miss, either touching or boring. Luckily, just about all of his songs fall on the touching side for me. This is my opinion. N

Hey keny I "love" Your songs

+ Reply to Thread