+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I rave about "The View "

I rave about "The View "

Ok-I've been reading through this site for hours now and I think I have finally mustered the courage to share my story.
    <br>Being from New York I never even knew if we had a Country station on the radio until the spring of 1993 after a pack-trip in Arizona when the wranglers convinced us city-slickers to at least try to find it and listen to the music. Well I did.
    <p>I remember clearly having conversations with my sister about how much fun the music and the stories it tells were. One imparticular that tickled our funny-bone at the time was " something about... mamma's in the graveyard and papa's in the pen?". Little did I know at the time that this would lead to an extensive love affair with the music of Garth Brooks.
    <br>I spent the next few years collecting Garth CD's and videos in addition to having children and at their very young ages introducing them to GB. Which has led to each of them being almost, but not quite, as much a fan as I am. Had the good fortune to see his concert 3 hours from home in Albany,NY and followed that with the awe inspiring Central Park. All the time learning more and more about and becoming a greater and greater fan of the music that somehow touches every emotion in one way or another and the man who gifts us with it.
    <p>Just as all true Garth fans were, I too was eagerly awaiting the release of "Sevens".
    <br>As the release date came closer and closer, Garth kept popping up on TV news magazines, interviews,talk shows... I learned to keep my ears open for upcoming appearences so I could tape them, when it occurred to me that many of these shows are produced not 45 minutes from my home in NYC. When I would hear a promo for a NY show announce that Garth would be appearing, I would call the show to find out if there was any possible way to get tickets to the show. All lead to dead ends until I called the then fairly new talk show on ABC called "The View". When I asked about getting tickets for that show I was told that they were trying to get enough Garth fans to fill the audience for a special full hour taping with Garth the week before Thanksgiving. Needless to say...
    <br>My only disappointment was that I was not allowed to bring my older(then 3 1/2 years) son who had asked for only one thing from Santa- a real guitar so he can sing like Garth.
    <p>I was determined to somehow represent my two little GB fans at the show, so my sister and I made a big yellow sign with their photos on it that read "We Love You Garth-from your two smallest, BIGGEST fans!" The sign actually made air!
    <br>We were so close to Garth in that audience. I knew I would never be able to get concert seats this close! Every oppurtunity I had, I raised that sign and hoped Garth would see it. Finally, at the end of the second segment, just going out to commercial he saw our sign and squinted to make it out. I made eye contact and waved.He waved back.(you can see him do this on air. I, of course have the show on tape). Then I threw him a kiss-from my boys?,maybe. He threw a kiss back. Then I did something I never thought I had in me. I stomped my feet and danced around like a squealing teen-ager! It was just so emotional.We enjoyed every second of the show. It was almost enough, just being able to see him and hear him perform up close. We didn't want it to end. It didn't.
    <br> To our good fortune, Garth was doing a satellite feed overseas from the set of "The View" after the show. He asked the audience if we would like to stick around for it and he would meet with us after. Would we LIKE TO?
    <p>He stayed and met with each person who wanted to just say hello or get an autograph or a picture. I wasn't sure if I would actually make my way through the crowd. My sister and I somehow got separated. I passed my sign to her through the crowd and she was able to hand it to him. He just looked at it for a moment then looked into the crowd and asked,"Who am I signing this too?" I heard my sister give my sons' names. From behind about 30 people I called out, "I'm their Mama!" Garth made his way through the gathering and headed directly for me! He asked how to spell each of the boys' names and above each of their pictures he wrote,"*****, God Bless ya bud, Love Garth Brooks". I wish I could remember if I said anything poignant to him or if I babbled like an idiot. (Most likeky the latter.) But I do remember him making me feel as though I mattered to him for that moment.
    <p>My sister and I lingered and watched as the building security kept reminding Garth that these people can't just stay here and he would say to them that he would be leaving in just a minute. But just as he said it would turn back to the group and continue taking his time to meet and speak with each one there. Suddenly I realized I couldn't bare the thought of being this close and not having a picture to show my husband and my boys. I grabbed my poster one more time and stepped up behind him. He had just finished speaking with another fan and turned around to me. Not wanting to "overstay my welcome", I asked him,"Can I be a pain?" He just looked at me with such kindness and said, "You're not a pain." He turned with me to my sister who was ready with her camera. She felt really bad but with the zoom lens she was using for great shots during the show, she couldn't frame us both in the picture. As she turned to climb up into the audience seats, Garth said, "Wait. You stay there," took my arm and said,"Come,here" and led me away onto the stage so she could get the shot. (He is taller than expected. He put his arm around me and my head fit right in his shoulder. I'm about 5'4".)As I walked away and said thankyou and goodbye, He pointed and said,"You take care of those babies!"
    <p>As the crowd dwindled, we were able to get close enough again to overherar some of the conversation Garth was having with others. A woman asked him when he was going to be back to the show to perform "Belleau Wood" for The View's Christmas Show. He explained that he had already taped that segment earlier in the day. At the mention of "Belleau Wood" my sister gasped, "I love that song. When I heard it on the radio, tears were streaming down my face." Garth just looked up at her, smiled and turned toward her and engaged her in a brief conversation about the song the he loved so much from this album. She had brought her tour book hoping he would sign the last page where Garth is alone in the woods on a horse. With it open to that page she handed him the book. Being a "horse-person" she told him, "This is my favorite picture of you." He looked her right in the eye and said,"Mine ,too." He then asked where we got he book. We explained how we went up to Albany for the show. "How'd ya like the show?" We told him how fantastic it was but that he looked very small (from our seats). Touching his waistline, he laughed and said,"Well, Good!" He handed the book back, smiled at us both and said, "Thanks for the trip."
    <p>The poster for the boys is laminated and hanging on the wall in their room. My sister had an 8x10 made of the picture she took of me with Garth and gave it to me for Christmas. It has a prominent display in the living room. My husband didn't think it funny when I (jokingly) took down our Wedding picture and hung my Garth picture in its place.
    <br> I hope you enjoy reading my story as much as I enjoy sharing it.
    <p>P.S. The following day, our names were drawn in the lottery to attend Garth's performance at KMart downtown to launch "Sevens". We both were allowed to bring a guest. We each brought one of the my little GB fans. The older one stood on his chair in the second row, played air guitar and sang every word along with Garth. Something I hope will stay with him forever.N

Peggy
    <br> Thanks for sharing your story. I totally enjoyed reading it. We are going to a concert in Las Vegas and our seats are close enough that he might see a sign. My daughter wants to hear him sing one particular song that I don't think he does in his concerts normally. So maybe we will get lucky!
    <br>DellaN

Peggy
    <br>Very cool story -- thanks for tellin it!!! Next time I play "The View" video, I'll try to catch your sign....I know what you mean about the foot stomping dance thing....I did the same thing when he noticed one of my signs at a concert requesting a song - then he played it, and like that wasnt enough to make me totally fall apart, he bowed to me when he was done....that man sure does have a way of making your day! :)N

Wow Peggy! Thanks so much for sharing your incredibly touching story, you told it so well! This is one of the sweetest Garth Encounter stories I have ever read. Seeing as how we all know where Garth's heart is, I don't know why it still surprises me so much to hear about his kindness and patience with his fans. Thanks again! I am going to Vegas concert, hopefully I will get my own Garth Moment there...or some day. TerraN

Sorry-I just wanted to bring it up top again. I have been reliving the whole experience because today and tomorrow it has been a year to the day since my Garth moment and the day I got to bring my little guys to see Garth from the 2nd row in Kmart. Wow I still can't believe I actually stood there talkin to him. He really is Very Cool! Thanks for reading! It's not often I get to share my story. Most people I know just don't get it!N

Peggy- What an unbelievable experience that must have been! Thanks for sharing it so I could bawl like a baby just reading how sweet he was to you guys!! By the way, happy Garth anniversary!!N

Nothing like beating a dead horse, right? ;)<P>I just wanted to let you all know that I finally have a homepage. And I put my Garth picture there under my Garth Fan section if ya wanna see it- I was so excited when I realized I could show my picture to you all! :)<BR>http://team.liunet.edu/~labrunaN

Peggy:<P>What an awsome story teller you are. Reading is like living it through you! Thank you for sharing it with us. I saw the pic of you two in the other forum, and I don't blame you for replacing your wedding pic with it! :D <P>Catch y'all around the next bend...N

I was going to wait until the 23rd to bring this up because that is my Garthiversary but I just couldnt wait!<P>My story seems so "quaint" compared to the incredibly touching stories that have been posted within the past year but it's my story and its open-ended---who knows if there ever will be another Moment for me--- I hope so.<BR>I remember thinking that day on the way home that my life was complete--- I had done everything I could ever dream of---but I guess its kinda like having a small piece of great chocolate cake---once you've had a bit--- you just want more cause it was soooo good!<P>I get such a good feeling reading this over again--- GB brings such happiness--over and over again!-The gift that just keeps giving! :)<P>9-12-26, 7-2N

Peggy,<P>I'm so glad your story got brought up to the top of this forum! I have never had the fortune to get anywhere near Garth. Haven't even gotten to attend a concert :(........<BR>not yet anyway ;)<BR>Reading your touching story, and the others in this forum brings me a lot of joy. Maybe someday I'll get my Garth moment, but even if I don't, I have the lovely memories from the stories you and other PGrs post here. Thanks so much, to you, and everybody else who is so kind to share :)<P>CC<P>P.S. Can't wait for all the low - down on SNL!!!N

HAPPY 2ND ANNIVERSARY (EARLY)!!! :) :D :)<P>What a wonderful ko-inki-dink that your anniversary falls on MOC album release date!!! ;)<P>CCN

Just had to read this again while I was visiting today! Is it possible its been 7 years!! Wow! seems like yesterday!! My little GB fan who stood on a chair playing air guitar at the KMart "Sevens" release show is 10 1/2 now and almost as tall as I am!! Reading it makes me feel like I am living it again! Gives me goose bumps! I miss GB!!

PEGGY!

I have goosebumps too! I wasn't here when you posted this, so I'm glad to be able to read it now!

I have to ask - did Garth see you at the KMart performance and realize you'd gotten to bring your boys?

I'm glad you came back to the Planet.
    J.

Peggy, Great story, enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing that story with us. I am also about 5'4" so I would probably be to his shoulders. Your so lucky to have met him. Is he cuter in person?

I really enjoyed reading this again Peggy So glad you're back.

CC

Great Story Peggy, Garth is so amazing how he picked you right out of the crowd I can just picture how he did it. He is so cool I have a big smile just imaging I was there and what it was like. thanks so much for sharing you special story and day.

WOW! 7 years!

That's amazing. Thanks so much for sharing! I am so glad you had such an enjoyable experience, and I am sure you'll remember it very vividly and fondly for the rest of your life!

Yes! Vividly AND fondly!!

Producer:
    At KMart the next day he did speak to me when I asked him about the CP show and I had the boys there I am not sure if he realized I was the same person as the day before even though I had brought the same big sign we had made

HndsmGrth:
    Cuter in person? of course because his warmth and gracious personality shine right through and he makes you feel like you are the only person in the world at that moment!

I have to tell you that back in 2000 we went to Prot St Lucie for ST and he met the boys one day when I was separated from them and Hubby. The next morning as he was arriving, he walked by us and said, "Good morning, Vinny! Good morning, Tommy!" That was one of the highlights of the trip. He had met hundreds of people the day before but he remembered these two little boys and made them feel so special! What a guy!!

forgive me just had to bring it up again
    -since i havent seen any posts on this forum

OMG! its me again! for some reason I had an inkling to visit my old friends here at PG and relive my Garth Moment.

OOHHH! how things have changed in the past 13 YEARS!!??!!

except for one constant... the warm, fuzzy feeling I get from the music and teh gift that is our man, GB!

Peggy! I just read your story, made me cry! What a wonderful story you lucky dog!

+ Reply to Thread