+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kenny Rogers remarks on Chris Gaines project

Kenny Rogers remarks on Chris Gaines project

<A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/e/AP-Garth-Brooks.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/e/AP-Garth-Brooks.html</A> <P><BR>I'm starting to really worry about all the pressure this is putting on Garth. Dealing with the loss of his mother, and having to constantly defend his motives, will surely take its toll on him.<P>I can't wait for this CD to come out. The music will speak for itself. <P>~Ann~ N

Ann,<P>thanks for another great article...although some of the Rogers comments pissed me off. Everyone gets to have his own opinion though, right? <P>Mine is, that Garth is doing a great thing. Expanding his horizons and hopefully the horizons of a lot of people who wouldn't normally listen to his music. <BR>Mel<BR>N
    There are two ways to spread the light; To be the candle or the mirror that reflects it~ Edith Wharton

Valleiry, on the border between France and Switzerland.
    Ann<BR>Thanks for the link. I'm amazed at what people can say and do just to get in the news. Funny thing we haven't heard from Kenny Rogers for more or less 15 years (I think the last time was when he sang with Sheena Easton). So he will probably do or say anything to get in the news so that people still knows his around. <BR>It really pi**** me off all these people putting GB down without even giving him the benefit of the doubt. It is so easy to critesize someone else's work. But they are too sh** scared to put their as*** on the line and do something, so the put the others down to make them look good.<BR>Here in Geneva we don't get much news and I still haven't heard or seen the CG singles, but I sure hope it's a huge success just to rub the sh** in the faces of those Pi** Vinigar's who are bad mouthing our GB all the time.<BR>I bet you can tell that i'm angry can't ya :)<BR>See you<BR>Zulu<BR>N
    A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere.
    Before him, I may think aloud.

Guys... sounds this is another trash article huh? :(<P>Hey, would anyone please cut and paste the article for me?<P>Thanks<P>TommyN
    "Life is like a piano--play to its fullest"

"A good start is half the job!"

"When we free do love anyone we choose... WE SHALL BE FREE" by Mr. Brooks

To the special man in my life: Shnuggie.

I honestly believe that many of these people are jealous that they don't have half the nerve or talent that Garth has, and this is their way of getting their 'share' of the spotlight. Garth is young, Chris Gaines is just one iota of what Garth's career is and will be, and everyone knows it. Not only is he multi- talented, but he's smart, good looking, and business savvy. Quite a combination, and bound to intimidate lesser people. Just keep doing your thing, Garth- we'll be right behind ya!N

I put this article in the toilet and FLUSHED IT!!! I read the first Kenny Rogers statement and closed it out. Make or Break him? What the heck does that mean? I am so tired of this junk... :(<P>KristaN

Actually I read the article and didn't find anything that offensive. If any of us think that Garth hasn't burned a few bridges doing Chris Gaines, we are kidding ourselves. This is a huge chance Garth is taking, which is what separates Garth from every one else. He is the only one to have the guts to take this chance. What Kenny said was true. If this things becomes popular, it will make Garth the biggest star in music history. If it falls through, it will add a lot of baggage to Garth that will be tough to recover from. Believe me, Garth knows that before he chose to do this. It wasn't disrespectful what Kenny said, it was just true. Remember, in the 80's, Kenny was very similar to Garth in terms of popularity, and they are both pretty good friends. Garth opened for him for about six months when he first came out. I hope Garth proves all the naysayers wrong, but he is taking a chance.N

The link isnt working for me......can anyone copy it here?<P>N

Here ya go: :)<P><BR> NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- There is a long pause on the other end of the telephone line. <BR> Finally, Garth Brooks takes a deep breath and defends himself from the perception that his new album is a thinly disguised attempt to abandon country music for the glories of pop stardom. <BR> ``Can you tell me what I'm looking for that I don't already have?'' he asks in measured tones. ``Has anybody sold more?'' <BR> For the record, Brooks has sold 95 million albums, dwarfing most pop stars. His two-CD live album has sold 6 million and has been on the pop album charts for almost a year. <BR> ``Garth Brooks in ... the life of Chris Gaines'' is -- follow closely now -- a greatest hits CD of fictional singer Chris Gaines. Gaines is a character Brooks will play in ``The Lamb,'' a film expected to be released next year. The pop-rock music of Gaines was created by Brooks, in collaboration with producers Don Was and Babyface. <BR> The album has Beatles-like pop tunes, one that sounds a bit like Fleetwood Mac and some that veer toward Prince-variety funk. Nothing on the album rises to the level of those inspirations, but Brooks doesn't fall on his face, either. <BR> ``If you've ever been into a fight, or you've ever been into an athletic thing, once you're in it, you better start giving it everything you've got to survive,'' Brooks said. ``I surrounded myself with people that knew what hip and cool was, since I don't.'' <BR> Brooks will promote the new album on a television special to air Sept. 29 (8 p.m.-9 p.m. EDT) on NBC. A separate soundtrack of Gaines' music will be released next year to accompany the film. <BR> If the two albums and movie are hits, Brooks will have launched a parallel pop career alongside country music superstardom. <BR> ``This thing is literally either going to make him or break him,'' said singer Kenny Rogers. In 1980, at the height of his popularity, Rogers took a chance by recording with R&B balladeer Lionel Ritchie. ``Lady'' became a smash hit. <BR> ``Either (Brooks is) going to be the biggest thing that's ever happened in the music business, or I think he's burned a lot of bridges that are going to hurt him in the long run at country radio,'' Rogers said. <BR> Perhaps Brooks, 37, needed a new challenge. <BR>``If I'm burning a bridge with the format of country radio, I don't know it,'' Brooks said. ``And if I am, then I'll pay for that on the next thing, I guess, that I bring to them.'' <BR> Brooks ended a phase of his career with last year's release of ``Double Live.'' Critics carped that he was recycling old hits like ``Friends in Low Places'' too much. There were two hits collections and a box set in 1994. <BR> ``I can tell you, having been pretty much in the position he's in, that you get there and you realize that you're not doing anything new,'' Rogers said. ``You know you can only go downhill from there. So you step out and you take chances.'' <BR> In the film, which came from an idea that Brooks' Hollywood production company sold to Paramount, Gaines is an Australian rock star. The character is expected to be an elusive figure in the movie, seen mostly in concert performances. <BR> Gaines is ``very much like the `Braveheart' of music,'' Brooks said. ``He believes and fights for his stuff and his fans so hard that it will eventually cost him his life. That's what I think I grew to love about this guy.'' <BR> Brooks said he was reluctant when the studio asked him to do the pop-rock music for the film. ``I told them, `I don't know if I can.' They said, `Would you try?' So we did four cuts and Babyface was there to keep me from falling and so was Don (Was), and we turned in the first four cuts ... and they loved it.'' <BR> Brooks will release a Christmas album this year. He is also producing a country album for former band member Ty England. But he won't release a new album for the country music market until the fall of 2000 -- at the earliest. <BR> For now, fans have a choice of embracing Chris Gaines or waiting for Garth Brooks to return. <BR> ``It's yet another page of Garth, and if it's a page people choose to sit out on, like always, that's their choice,'' Brooks said. ``If it's a page they tune into, then I hope they find something in there that's very cool for them.'' <P>Krista<BR>N

Thanks Krista! :)<P>I thought it was a pretty good article. I loved Garth's response about "can you tell me what I'm looking for that I don't already have?" That is just so true! In terms of sales, recognition, sucess, he already has it.....and it came from country. So, for the critics that ask if he is abandoning country for the greener grasses of pop, that is just such a perfect response. <P>As far as Kenny Rodgers goes, I dont have a problem with what he said....I do think he could have choosen a better term than "make him or break him", since Garth has already "made" it. But it didn't sound to me like he was putting Garth down in any way.<P>N

Since I copied and pasted, I have had an opportunity to read the whole article. I just get angry when people say that this is the defining moment of his career. I think the defining moments were his first #1 single and his first million record sales. This whole article is not all that bad, but, I think people need to loosen up a little bit and have fun with this Chris Gaines thing. What does it hurt? I mean, let's be realistic here. How many country songs out there now are strictly country? How many have a poppish sound to them (Shania)? There is a very fine line between grass roots country and pop these days. And that is all because the newer artists know that they have to appeal to a younger audience due to the fact that more younger people nowadays contribute to record sales than do older people. I buy my share of cd's and I know all of you do, too. <P>Oh, and what about Faith Hill's "This Kiss" being played on adult contemporary stations??? Did anyone say that this could make or break her career? NOPE!!! And she is doing just fine...<P>KristaN

Krista, <P>I agree with you, alot of new country sounds more like pop than country, and I find nothing wrong with that. <P>How can this hurt Garth on country radio when they are already playing IDMTTS??<P>The comment that ticked me off is when Kenny said when your not doing anything new, you sometimes step out and take chances. Like Garth couldn't find anything new to do? Like Garth doesn't take chances anyway? What a dumb comment. He's jealous, and he just wishes he was half the man and performer Garth is.<P>LoriN

Krista, the cut and paste queen :) :)<BR>Actually, I hadn't been able to open the article, either, so thanks from me, too. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be, and although I think Kenny Rogers could've phrased his feelings differently, I don't think he meant Garth any harm, either. It was actually a pretty good article- is anyone else out there DYING to know the story of Chris Gaines? Garth is a master tease......hhhhmmmmmmmmmm...... ;)<P>lisaN

Although some people may not have, I found the comments by Kenny Rogers offensive to Garth. He's making it sound like Garth couldn't come up with any more country stuff to sing, so he went to pop. I can't believe that someone asked KR for comments about Chris Gaines before he even knew the details behind it! Why don't people put down actors for playing a character in a movie? Because it's the SAME THING!!!! People can't seem to realize that Garth is only doing this for a character IN A MOVIE!!! I wish for once, someone who writes an article about CG would actually take the time to research the project and also to get comments from someone who knows what they're talking about!! :oN

I agree with you Cheryl, and kenny Rogers :)<P>There are many examples on artists who have taken chances when they have been on the top just like Brooks is doing now, and most of them have paid big time for that :(<P>BrianN
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    COME ON! Let's Join Up!
    Let's rise out of this dirt
    Escape from this oppression this anger and this hurt
    The ignorance, intolerance, stupidity and lies
    That's spreading like a virus and ruining our lives
    All we need is honesty to push away this night
    Lets hang on to our innocence and hold each other tight
    ~*~*~Die Toten Hosen~*~*~

Not a bad article. I have a ton of respect for Kenny Rogers and I think he is right...but he could have phrased himself better. What I got from the article and Rogers is that this project has alienated a lot of folks in Nashville at a time when country music needs something big from one its established stars like Clint Black, Alan jackson and Garth..their cash cow is doing a musical project that is anything but suited for the country format. These suits realize that Garth brought a lot of listeners over to country in the early part of this decade..now they are afraid that those listeners, his fans, will follow him over to the pop stations to hear him and in turn abandon the acts on the country dial. If this project flops...Nashville will have the we told you so angle going for them and if it wins..they can say that its just what they expect Garth as far as proving the doubters wrong. Kenny Rogers just meant that if this project falls flat...Garth could suffer on radio..heck many stations are already cutting back on the amount of Garth that they play. Kenny Rogers hasn't been heard from on radio for a while because he too burnt some bridges with the music he was doing...it wasn' proper for country radio or it was too country...but I have a few of his albums and its great stuff...it wasn't until he did "The Greatest" arguably the second greatst song in history behind "The Dance" that country music realized..heck the old dogs can still sing. Garth said he's taking a year off...this is fun time for him...a new country album would be nice..but sometimes you need to just step back as an artist and try to figure out which direction to go next. In short Nashville is covering their tails on this project by distancing themselves from Garth..sought of to let him sink or swim on his own without hurting country music in the process if their biggest star doesn't meat garth-like numbers. Kenny was just pointing this out, it will either make Garth larger than he is by bringing in a whole new audience to his music or he'll be forced to come back Nashville where the suits can say its your own fault and now you want us to take you back...its politics folks..kenny just put in a nice way so as not to alienate the suits.N

Well said Garthaholic! I completely agree with your outlook.N

Very well spoken Garthaholic :)<P>BrianN
    COME ON! Let's Join Up!
    Let's rise out of this dirt
    Escape from this oppression this anger and this hurt
    The ignorance, intolerance, stupidity and lies
    That's spreading like a virus and ruining our lives
    All we need is honesty to push away this night
    Lets hang on to our innocence and hold each other tight
    ~*~*~Die Toten Hosen~*~*~

Garthoholic:<P>You said it all, and very well too!!!<P>ABF,<BR>DebbieN

I am sooo tired of this discussion the press is having about the Chris Gaines project. I have to agree it is a risk that Garth is taking but sooooo what!!! Life is a risk and it would be pretty boring to sit back and let life pass you by and think what if I did try that...People in country music want the artists to fit into some kind of a mold and if you differ from their expectations you're on the outs.I think it would be worse if Garth just conformed and pumped out some crappy country music songs just to sell albums. All I can say is "You go Garth" and enjoy the ride. As for Kenny Rogers, I really don't think Garth needs advice from someone who hasn't been heard from in 15 years. Jackie N

+ Reply to Thread