+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Favorite studio over live, and favorite live over studio

Favorite studio over live, and favorite live over studio

I was wondering what everyone's thought on this.
    My favorite studio version versus live: Tacoma
    My favorite live version versus studio: The Thunder Rolls

I also think that the live version of People Loving People improves on the original.

So tell me your favorites.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 08-05-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

I totally agree on People Loving People.

I'd say Whiskey to Wine the Live version stands above the album version.
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

Whiskey to wine live over studio.

Tacoma studio over live.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    this could easily change for me, but at the moment:

Whiskey to Wine - Live over Studio (followed closely by FILP and/or TTR)

Studio over live- a lot harder than I thought it'd be to choose.. at the moment? I'd go Callin Baton Rouge
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I didn't care for Two Pina Coladas until I saw him do it live in the 90s. Besides that I'm not sure. I like his live version of all his songs better than studio I think.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I didn't care for Two Pina Coladas until I saw him do it live in the 90s. Besides that I'm not sure. I like his live version of all his songs better than studio I think.
    I think it's different for me at least, with diff songs..

thinking back more on my first answer- I do def. like Whiskey to wine better live than studio -but I also like Cold like that live better.. the extended versions better def..

for me, I think w/ the live it's the little things, the inflections in the songs, the little changes that he makes (The River, where he sings "dare to dance that tide" instead of 'dare to dance the tide", the fact that it doesn't change key in the live version... or in The Dance where he has diff. inflection/note(s) on the line "the way it all would go" in the second chorus..)

studio wise? I do like In Lonesome dove better.. but lol that's because he sings the entire song in the studio, vs. only as a snippet when done live...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

We Shall be Free I think is better live than studio, I like how hes played with the different arrangements over the years.

One Night A Day, studio over live even though I know he plays the sax, ONAD is so smooth on the record.

Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    We Shall be Free I think is better live than studio, I like how he’s played with the different arrangements over the years.

One Night A Day, studio over live even though I know he plays the sax, ONAD is so smooth on the record.
    I can't enough of any live version of We Shall Be Free. I really like it when he changes the bridge, though it's been a while since I've heard him do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I think it's different for me at least, with diff songs..

thinking back more on my first answer- I do def. like Whiskey to wine better live than studio -but I also like Cold like that live better.. the extended versions better def..

for me, I think w/ the live it's the little things, the inflections in the songs, the little changes that he makes (The River, where he sings "dare to dance that tide" instead of 'dare to dance the tide", the fact that it doesn't change key in the live version... or in The Dance where he has diff. inflection/note(s) on the line "the way it all would go" in the second chorus..)

studio wise? I do like In Lonesome dove better.. but lol that's because he sings the entire song in the studio, vs. only as a snippet when done live...
    I like how he does that with The River and when he changes up That Summer. Is he possibly the king of two worded titled songs? The River, That Summer, The Dance, The Change, etc..

I also like when he goes off extending the note on Standing Outside The Fire and Baby Jesus is Born. I remember him doing that with BBJB on one of the daytime shows. It might have been Crook and Chase but I think it was one of the shows on the major networks. Maybe Ellen?? I don't think she's had a show ranging back to the late 90s though. One of those shows anyway.

I like how he does that with The River and when he changes up That Summer. Is he possibly the king of two worded titled songs? The River, That Summer, The Dance, The Change, etc..
    Ha! good question!! I love that summer live too... I like the version/how he alters it too in 'VH1 Storytellers'.. not quite live, but.. still interesting..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I also like when he goes off extending the note on Standing Outside The Fire and Baby Jesus is Born. I remember him doing that with BBJB on one of the daytime shows. It might have been Crook and Chase but I think it was one of the shows on the major networks. Maybe Ellen?? I don't think she's had a show ranging back to the late 90s though. One of those shows anyway.
    I think he sang Baby Jesus is Born on the tonight show with Leno..

HA! I googled it, and my own collection came up.. He did perform it- on 11/26/1999

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Ha! good question!! I love that summer live too... I like the version/how he alters it too in 'VH1 Storytellers'.. not quite live, but.. still interesting..
    I LOVE that version. I wish he would release it in some for or fashion on an album.

I LOVE that version. I wish he would release it in some for or fashion on an album.
    Question is would people buy an album of ‘alternate’ versions? They did for job job I- heck maybe it would work!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I always wanted to have an album of TV show versions! I loved To Make You Feel My Love on Leno .

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    I always wanted to have an album of TV show versions! I loved To Make You Feel My Love on Leno .
    Hmm.. that's a great idea.. I'm sure a decent collection could be culled together (lol I'm thinking it prob already has been somewhere!)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread