+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garth's Annoucement Wednesday July 29th

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...nlEncejToFw5qo

I found this one funny. It was totally stupid for him to call a press conference to say he's not longer going to be in the running for EOTY. Just call the CMA's and do it without advertising it.

I’ve been quiet for a long time. Not much I’ve felt inspired to discuss. With a 2 + year delay of Fun, still no stand alone Triple Live, the long wait for Anthology 2, and still not entering the 20th century by streaming, it’s just been frustrating to be a fan. Now this!!! Seriously? I’m sure this is an unpopular thought but I think this whole stepping away is stupid. Did he really ask the CMA to bestow him with an Emeritus tag? You’ve got to be joking. And since he met with the CMA he knows they won’t remove names from the ballot. It all just feels like an attempt to look humble while it feels totally arrogant. Somehow I feel Garth is the only person who could send such a mixed message.

As I’ve said before, I’ve loved the guy since I was 12, and into my 40s now, but he doesn’t make it easy to defend him and be a fan. I tend to agree so many of these moves are just....I don’t even know what to say.

I just think this is a situation where if this makes Garth sleep better at night , so be it. It's just an award show.....he's held that honor 7 times and that's a big deal.

Social Media was brutal last year when GB won. Sure, everyone will defend their favorite artists, but it was out of control...over an AWARD...something that is supposed to be fun.

Anyone that follows GB knows he does things his way.
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I’ve been quiet for a long time. Not much I’ve felt inspired to discuss. With a 2 + year delay of Fun, still no stand alone Triple Live, the long wait for Anthology 2, and still not entering the 20th century by streaming, it’s just been frustrating to be a fan. Now this!!!
    nice summing up actually, of issues with being a fan.. I don't share ALL of them... (some of them I do) myself, but won't belittle your ideas/points here.

Seriously? I’m sure this is an unpopular thought but I think this whole stepping away is stupid. Did he really ask the CMA to bestow him with an Emeritus tag? You’ve got to be joking. And since he met with the CMA he knows they won’t remove names from the ballot. It all just feels like an attempt to look humble while it feels totally arrogant.
    still working into my recap of the show, so I don't have exact points from the show to reference, but you know? I can see how you'd say that actually... bestowing someone with an Emeritus tag..... I had a thought that there was a butting of heads, and the best thing I could say was "taking his ball and going home"... in much the same way that Stone Cold Steve Austin did back in the early 2000s from WWE when he was 'on top'.. again, I have to continue recap of show so my thoughts might change, but again- I see the point... it was something similar to what I'd thought at least partially when I heard things yesterday

Somehow I feel Garth is the only person who could send such a mixed message.

As I’ve said before, I’ve loved the guy since I was 12, and into my 40s now, but he doesn’t make it easy to defend him and be a fan. I tend to agree so many of these moves are just....I don’t even know what to say.
    he's a head scratcher for certain at times! Still as big of a fan as I have ever been, but the objectivity factor does creep in and make me less likely to 'believe the company line' as it were when it comes to Garth... at least at times
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I just think this is a situation where if this makes Garth sleep better at night , so be it. It's just an award show.....he's held that honor 7 times and that's a big deal.
    that was also one of the first things I thought- the 7.... I would stake a claim on the fact that the '7 times' has a lot to do with it, regardless of what he might say outwardly..

Social Media was brutal last year when GB won. Sure, everyone will defend their favorite artists, but it was out of control...over an AWARD...something that is supposed to be fun.
    didn't' totally follow it but did hear some of the backlash/brutality... I can imagine it was bad, esp. after Carrie didnt' win

Anyone that follows GB knows he does things his way.
    Mic Drop!! that's truth...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

And to be clear, I’m still a fan and still following. It’s just head scratching and difficult at times.

Weíve all discussed this before and I know Skywise is all in on this point. Garth is Garth and he is going to do things his way even if itís detrimental. However, I actually think Garth sometimes makes it hard to be a hardcore fan.

Some of you have heard me mention Iím also a hardcore Metallica fan. They also do things their own way but it is much more geared to hardcore fans. Iíve mentioned their incredibly expansive box sets, but theyíve brought it to a new level during Covid. They have branded Monday as Metallica Monday and for 19 weeks in a row they have released a full, unreleased, pro-shot concert. These shows have covered almost every tour between 1983-2019. They are released for free on their YouTube channel. Compare that to a touched up show at a drive-in that cost $100 a car so you can see the same 20 songs heís played since 1998.

Itís just fascinating the differences. As Iíve said before I think Garth focuses on that ďlowest common denominatorĒ. Pull in as many casuals to pad numbers and profits. While other acts are somehow able to appease the casual fan but also tailor to the hardcore fans. It can be done, and you can do it without being like everyone else.

I just think about how two acts I love I feel so differently about. One is giving me so much ďnewĒ content for free I can barely keep up. The other rarely gives me anything to be excited about. An interesting contrast.

Kind of makes me want to vote for him if I could so that he can get his 8th. During this covid stuff he really has done more than most others. Carrie Underwood should get it this year, but I think maybe Luke Combs might get it. And f*** Eric Church, he's such a cry baby, hope he never gets one.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Iíve been quiet for a long time. Not much Iíve felt inspired to discuss. With a 2 + year delay of Fun, still no stand alone Triple Live, the long wait for Anthology 2, and still not entering the 20th century by streaming, itís just been frustrating to be a fan. Now this!!! Seriously? Iím sure this is an unpopular thought but I think this whole stepping away is stupid. Did he really ask the CMA to bestow him with an Emeritus tag? Youíve got to be joking. And since he met with the CMA he knows they wonít remove names from the ballot. It all just feels like an attempt to look humble while it feels totally arrogant. Somehow I feel Garth is the only person who could send such a mixed message.

As Iíve said before, Iíve loved the guy since I was 12, and into my 40s now, but he doesnít make it easy to defend him and be a fan. I tend to agree so many of these moves are just....I donít even know what to say.

Spot on and agree all the way. I have anti country friends and the things garth does is hard to explain so I quit trying.

We’ve all discussed this before and I know Skywise is all in on this point. Garth is Garth and he is going to do things his way even if it’s detrimental. However, I actually think Garth sometimes makes it hard to be a hardcore fan.
    yes he is . You're right too, sometimes it is hard to be a hardcore fan ....

Some of you have heard me mention I’m also a hardcore Metallica fan. They also do things their own way but it is much more geared to hardcore fans. I’ve mentioned their incredibly expansive box sets, but they’ve brought it to a new level during Covid. They have branded Monday as Metallica Monday and for 19 weeks in a row they have released a full, unreleased, pro-shot concert. These shows have covered almost every tour between 1983-2019. They are released for free on their YouTube channel. Compare that to a touched up show at a drive-in that cost $100 a car so you can see the same 20 songs he’s played since 1998.
    more good points, Ryan- despite the ever present thought of 'Garth won't be doing things just because others have done it.. . )you have some great points.. it would be NICE to see Garth do something like this.. He wont, but it would. certainly be nice !

It’s just fascinating the differences. As I’ve said before I think Garth focuses on that “lowest common denominator”. Pull in as many casuals to pad numbers and profits. While other acts are somehow able to appease the casual fan but also tailor to the hardcore fans. It can be done, and you can do it without being like everyone else.

I just think about how two acts I love I feel so differently about. One is giving me so much “new” content for free I can barely keep up. The other rarely gives me anything to be excited about. An interesting contrast.
    hmm... nope... well said!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Who else would have explained on his behalf why he was snubbing the CMAs? And could he trust how they would make him look? I think he did it out of respect for the CMAs and because he'll have idiots out there like Eric Church who would have tried to make him look bad if he hadn't given his thought process on it. I think it was a good thing for him to do it. And look how the media showed up. Then, we got some answers to things because he didn't shy away from the questions. It was a good day to be a Garth fan. Nothing to be dumbfounded over. We are fans of a legend who can do this kind of stuff. And, we like it deep inside.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    .....And look how the media showed up. Then, we got some answers to things because he didn't shy away from the questions. It was a good day to be a Garth fan. Nothing to be dumbfounded over. We are fans of a legend who can do this kind of stuff. And, we like it deep inside.
    dang, this makes me sound wishy washy but good points here too.. there were some good questions asked, I will say that much... not too too many were shied away from..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Amen! Release the damn music already.
    I’ve been quiet for a long time. Not much I’ve felt inspired to discuss. With a 2 + year delay of Fun, still no stand alone Triple Live, the long wait for Anthology 2, and still not entering the 20th century by streaming, it’s just been frustrating to be a fan. Now this!!! Seriously? I’m sure this is an unpopular thought but I think this whole stepping away is stupid. Did he really ask the CMA to bestow him with an Emeritus tag? You’ve got to be joking. And since he met with the CMA he knows they won’t remove names from the ballot. It all just feels like an attempt to look humble while it feels totally arrogant. Somehow I feel Garth is the only person who could send such a mixed message.

just a heads up-= unless needed/wanted, I am going to forgo the recap of the press conference- it's not long lasting news (really, if you look at it) and it'll take a while.. PM me if you want me to do it, and I will, but otherwise I'm going to hold off- I do have the press conference downloaded if needed...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

We’ve all discussed this before and I know Skywise is all in on this point. Garth is Garth and he is going to do things his way even if it’s detrimental. However, I actually think Garth sometimes makes it hard to be a hardcore fan.

Some of you have heard me mention I’m also a hardcore Metallica fan. They also do things their own way but it is much more geared to hardcore fans. I’ve mentioned their incredibly expansive box sets, but they’ve brought it to a new level during Covid. They have branded Monday as Metallica Monday and for 19 weeks in a row they have released a full, unreleased, pro-shot concert. These shows have covered almost every tour between 1983-2019. They are released for free on their YouTube channel. Compare that to a touched up show at a drive-in that cost $100 a car so you can see the same 20 songs he’s played since 1998.

It’s just fascinating the differences. As I’ve said before I think Garth focuses on that “lowest common denominator”. Pull in as many casuals to pad numbers and profits. While other acts are somehow able to appease the casual fan but also tailor to the hardcore fans. It can be done, and you can do it without being like everyone else.

I just think about how two acts I love I feel so differently about. One is giving me so much “new” content for free I can barely keep up. The other rarely gives me anything to be excited about. An interesting contrast.
    Wow Metallica has released, full, UNRELEASED concerts for 19 weeks in a row!!! Thats freaking amazing. Also its stuff they did in 1980's-90's!

Im telling, Garth recorded so many shows in 93/94, maybe one day way into the future we will get to see them!! Maybe if say 50% of the people write an askgarth asking him to do it, who knows????

Im like that ant from that Frank Sinatra song, I have high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Wow Metallica has released, full, UNRELEASED concerts for 19 weeks in a row!!! Thats freaking amazing. Also its stuff they did in 1980's-90's!

Im telling, Garth recorded so many shows in 93/94, maybe one day way into the future we will get to see them!! Maybe if say 50% of the people write an askgarth asking him to do it, who knows????

Im like that ant from that Frank Sinatra song, I have high hopes.
    Yes, you read that correct, 19 shows!!! This week will be #20. They cover all eras from 1983-2019. All but 1 was pro-shot (the other was a bootleg shot). I collect pro-shot bootleg Metallica shows on DVD. Got around over 100 and I had only seen 2 of the shows theyíve aired. They are unseen shows out of their ďvaultĒ.

They are all available, with one exception, on their YouTube page under Metallica Monday. There was one that was up for one week because they technically didnít own footage and got permission to put it up for a week. Can you imagine Garth doing this? I can answer that... NO! Ha!

Variety Article

Found this to be a very interesting read.

https://apple.news/AAbGu2UTuQeaM54-DT05Y3A

Interesting article. But again it focus on just one ot two reasons for EOY and not the complete criteria. The acts mentioned may do some things different in country but are they really pushing the music to regular fans or new fans. If they were making such a difference, an EOY award isn't needed. Sales of music, sold-out concerts of arenas and stadiums etc would be a better sign. Blaming an artist for an award is kinda lame. Plus he left off a lot of stuff Garth did. I admit Garth is stuck in a cycle (but a highly productive cycle). He is selling out shows of various kinds which is attracting new and old fans and lots of them to his shows. He also did his dive-bar shows. He released new music except for an album but he did release other music in the Anthology, Triple Live in the both the Anthology and Legacy collections. I know I am talking about this year but Anthology and Legacu were was back before this year even though Legacy seemed to be wait forever for it. (LOL) He does charitable acts, TV appearances, and really does have non-country fans talking about country music. I mean he did mentoring on the voice and has just been a constant on country music scene.
    I love Carrie Underwood. I have been a fan since American Idol. But just because they were promoting politically correct #metoo stuff doesn't make her EOY. She had a great album but her songs are hit and miss chart singles, she doesn't even pander to AI roots, I hear more about her hubby the hockey player and her than I do about country music. I am a big news reader and am basing my stuff an just what I see in the media so I apologize if I don't have a lot more information.
    Eric Church I never hear anything about except he tours like every other country act. I couldn't tell you what songs he has released or could hum one. So i can't say much about him.
    I agree with the article on some points but he seemed to be focused on touring and albums and on two artists that had a vocal fan base. Why didn't he push these new singers and what they are doing? He didn't mention the singers who are getting people interested in country. I mean Old town Road was a big record breaking hit, but didn't fit the old fashioned country market, Luke Combs and Chris Stapelton sold tons of music. Other female singers are getting airplay.
    I am a Garth fan but I see his faults also. But I also talk to people in dialysis, on the bus etc. Ask the man on the street about country music and most times they will mention Garth good or bad. A lot of people I chatted with thought $100 for a drive-in concert was whack but then Blake Shelton did it and they said the same thing. A lot of people don't like Miranda Lambert's attitude. You either like someone or you don't.
    I guess what I am saying is, I think Garth was more a factor in getting people to at least listen to country music even though most of it is catalog. I grew up listening to mostly catalog artists and over the years I would adopt new music and styles. That is happening with country music. If I hear something I like I will but it. Which brings me to my point, Garth isn't streaming or releasing new music but he is still selling lots of product. He keeps country music on people's minds. That is what I get from the criteria of the CMA EOY Award. Raising awareness of country music. If that doesn't say Garth Brooks....
    A side note. I think Garth should have not taken himself out of contention. If he wins so be it. I don't understand why he is listening to other's now yet not at other times. He always does things his way. Why stop now. If he wins 100 EOY's isn't going to make a difference their are other categories for these artists to win. Nobody complain that other acts dominate the awar categories like Brooks and Dunn did for duo etc. Why can these other artists win an award several years in a row and not get any flack. Oh wait, its Garth and he is making tons of fans and money.
    OK I am done. Just wanted to vent my feelins which are just that my feelings on that article. I mean I understand that Garth isn't perfect but like I said on the AOL Garth Board back in the 90's, he puts his pants on one leg at a time and he poops, pees and farts like the reat of us. :-)
    Last edited by gbkubfan; 07-31-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Also been quiet for years (but come check in several times a week)...but felt the need to weigh in.

Do I think the press conference was weird? Yeah...I do. The emeritus thing to me just felt...I don't know. I know Garth had good intentions...so I'll fall back on that. Just felt a little strange.

That being said...let's be honest. Go up to 15 of your closest friends today and say, "Hey! Did you hear what Garth Brooks did this week?" Chances are high that most of them will say "Nope." That's the bigger issue for me. I am still as big of a Garth fan as anybody...and will continue to be. I just wish he could figure things out. I know that sounds dumb...I get it. He's Garth. He's figured things out. However, as has been discussed on this board several times, I'm just waiting for him to be "Garth" again. I feel like since the comeback it's been this search for what works. It feels like if he would just do what he was doing before the comeback, things would fall into place.

When I say "do what he was doing before," I'm talking about the music. Songs like Dive Bar, All Night Long, etc., just haven't made me have that "there's Garth" feeling. Have there been some bright spots? Sure. I just desperately want that complete album of awesomeness that we had with every Garth release pre-retirement.

After MAM, I always kinda thought the third album after retirement would be "the one" for me. We had MAM, then Gunslinger, and I thought that next album would be it. Hearing what we've heard from "FUN" (when it ever comes out), I'm just not feeling it either. Nobody tells a story in a song like Garth. Lonesome Dove. The Night Will Only Know. Everytime that it Rains. That 'Ol Wind.

That being said...I'd still take a bullet for Garth and his music. I will be listening until the day I die. He's the reason I have Amazon Music...the reason I typically drop what I'm doing and devote time each week to Inside Studio G. I just want him to have a song/album that everybody is talking about again. I know he's got it...and I really think it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Also been quiet for years (but come check in several times a week)...but felt the need to weigh in.

Do I think the press conference was weird? Yeah...I do. The emeritus thing to me just felt...I don't know. I know Garth had good intentions...so I'll fall back on that. Just felt a little strange.

That being said...let's be honest. Go up to 15 of your closest friends today and say, "Hey! Did you hear what Garth Brooks did this week?" Chances are high that most of them will say "Nope." That's the bigger issue for me. I am still as big of a Garth fan as anybody...and will continue to be. I just wish he could figure things out. I know that sounds dumb...I get it. He's Garth. He's figured things out. However, as has been discussed on this board several times, I'm just waiting for him to be "Garth" again. I feel like since the comeback it's been this search for what works. It feels like if he would just do what he was doing before the comeback, things would fall into place.

When I say "do what he was doing before," I'm talking about the music. Songs like Dive Bar, All Night Long, etc., just haven't made me have that "there's Garth" feeling. Have there been some bright spots? Sure. I just desperately want that complete album of awesomeness that we had with every Garth release pre-retirement.

After MAM, I always kinda thought the third album after retirement would be "the one" for me. We had MAM, then Gunslinger, and I thought that next album would be it. Hearing what we've heard from "FUN" (when it ever comes out), I'm just not feeling it either. Nobody tells a story in a song like Garth. Lonesome Dove. The Night Will Only Know. Everytime that it Rains. That 'Ol Wind.

That being said...I'd still take a bullet for Garth and his music. I will be listening until the day I die. He's the reason I have Amazon Music...the reason I typically drop what I'm doing and devote time each week to Inside Studio G. I just want him to have a song/album that everybody is talking about again. I know he's got it...and I really think it will happen.
    Good points! I agree on what we've heard from Fun so far. I have adjusted my expectations and actually like it better now for what it is, and not what I was hoping for. MAM actually starting to seem like a better and better album since it's been released and I'm starting to agree with some on here who say it may be his best album ever looking back on the range of songs it offered.

You know, those first 3 albums that made his career were written in what, a 1 to 2 year period. I think that was just a magical time for Garth and then what became 90s country music. He probably felt more pressure to make them as good as they were. And the pressure he feels now is different, which is reflected in what we are hearing from him. He needed number 1s for his record label then. I bet now he's listening to and writing things from a much different perspective, obviously. But a perspective that is not focused on commercial success. Stuff he likes that he puts out there for us that we can take or leave as we like.

+ Reply to Thread