+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has garth jumped the shark??????

Has garth jumped the shark??????

So the question is: Has garth jumped the shark? I am thinking he has become to hyper protective of concert/tv etc appearances. I liked Garth when he is raw on stage with no filters. I think he likes this being able to edit and stuff. He also likes doing the old stuff way to much. I.E. Drive-in concert. I know I have defended him in the past saying he is trying to attract the new fan etc. But he seems to ignore his recent stuff and I am sure people will disagree , I have loved his new stuff especially the MAM album. And then his decison the hold back FUN. JMHO

Forgive me if this article is a repeat....

https://www.chicagotribune.com/enter...jxy-story.html

Mixed emotions for me as well. I do wish he would promote his new stuff more. I'm listening to MAM at this moment and actually like it more than when it first came out.

Saying, that. The guy who wrote the article was critical of way too much. As if people didn't have any idea what this might be like. I would have been disappointed in the Randall King videos too. And being pre-recorded was a turn off. But I knew that before hand which is why I chose to save my $100. Especially when someone on here said it'll probably be released on DVD at some point any way..Ha! But seeing the set list, I don't think there would be anything special about that either. We already have him doing this type of performance in better settings.

I wouldn't have paid $100 for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    So the question is: Has garth jumped the shark? I am thinking he has become to hyper protective of concert/tv etc appearances. I liked Garth when he is raw on stage with no filters. I think he likes this being able to edit and stuff. He also likes doing the old stuff way to much. I.E. Drive-in concert. I know I have defended him in the past saying he is trying to attract the new fan etc. But he seems to ignore his recent stuff and I am sure people will disagree , I have loved his new stuff especially the MAM album. And then his decison the hold back FUN. JMHO
    You are so right, his performances since the comeback seems to have filters on it, I guess the cellphone thing, and people recording everything, he kindas behave himself on stage more, theres
    also the age thing I guess.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Ok, another potentially blast of posts from me, so I'll consolidate into one but reply to multiple people at once...

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    So the question is: Has garth jumped the shark? I am thinking he has become to hyper protective of concert/tv etc appearances. I liked Garth when he is raw on stage with no filters. I think he likes this being able to edit and stuff.
    a very common comment/criticism of the objective fan, actually, and one that I share actually. Garth very much so is amazing when he's raw on stage, the interactions, the no filters, the no 'controlling things' to an over abundant level. Garth absolutely is TOO hyper-protective of his appearances... It's long been to the point to where I'd say that Garth's protests/reasons have been debunked/shown to not be completely factual/on the up and up. Garth's worries about his appearance and/or production of the shows are overblown and it almost makes one facepalm, thinking that how can someone SO in tune to the music scene, SO into music and it's effect on people and bringing them together... how can they be SO IGNORANT to the connection that is there because he's REAL.. the REAL concert, the REAL performances, with all their idiosyncrasies.. that's what the fans want... that's one big way the connection is/has been made with Garth..

He also likes doing the old stuff way to much. I.E. Drive-in concert. I know I have defended him in the past saying he is trying to attract the new fan etc. But he seems to ignore his recent stuff and I am sure people will disagree , I have loved his new stuff especially the MAM album. And then his decison the hold back FUN. JMHO
    I'm still a bit on the fence about this- after all, I was one who made it through 14 years of retirement.... With no truly new music and touring (TLS ok, the Walmart deal ok, MTAM sure.. but on the whole? He was gone).. What's a few more months or year(s?) waiting for FUN.. Still, FUN would be best served perhaps being released as a surprise.. Garth's comments about people in the pandemic and money troubles being a reason for not releasing it fly in the face of his ACTIONS of the drive in theater show.. It comes down to Garth can't promote the album the way he wants, in person, and playing to talk show audiences etc.. that's my take.. He can promote it to the hilt on Inside studio G, he can go on GMA virtually, I'm sure any of his normal outlets would welcome a virtual ZOOM call type of promotional appearance...

I definitely wish there was more of a focus on the new stuff, or newer material in general, or progress/moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Mixed emotions for me as well. I do wish he would promote his new stuff more. I'm listening to MAM at this moment and actually like it more than when it first came out.
    I listened 8teen and Cowboys & Friends the other day, and really liked them a lot more than I did before.. I agree with ya garthcop- it's better now than when it first came out IMO...

Saying, that. The guy who wrote the article was critical of way too much. As if people didn't have any idea what this might be like. I would have been disappointed in the Randall King videos too. And being pre-recorded was a turn off. But I knew that before hand which is why I chose to save my $100. Especially when someone on here said it'll probably be released on DVD at some point any way..Ha! But seeing the set list, I don't think there would be anything special about that either. We already have him doing this type of performance in better settings.
    . The setlist was definitely a drawback.. there was a golden opportunity to promote the newer songs, to show some of the fun, and to have a truly unique show, and yet (minus a few replacement songs/out of order selections) you really got almost the SAME order of songs.. AGAIN... that you've had the entire tour so far..

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    I wouldn't have paid $100 for that.
    I agree with both you and Garthcop here.. Yes, Garth can spin the '100$ a car' thing to talk about getting a bunch of friends around and going to show/splitting money making it cheaper... ok.. how smart would it have been to do exactly that? Unless you have tremendous confidence in your friends to not have been exposed to the virus by someone else.. reality is most people I'd wager gathered up their family to go to the show.. $100 per car isn't nec. Split up and thus cheaper when it's $100 a car that contains the same family members, thus the $100 is still $100 (if that makes sense)..

That was one reason I'm not upset with not having gone to the show... though Id have liked to have been there (as a fan)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    You are so right, his performances since the comeback seems to have filters on it, I guess the cellphone thing, and people recording everything, he kindas behave himself on stage more, theres
    also the age thing I guess.
    Garth's always (at least the days of double live it seems, but I'd wager it goes back further than that) been overfocused/hyperaware of any potential flaws in his productions.... To the point that he micromanages/over fixes things.... Thus taking away some of the magic and charm of the show...

Popping a surprise release could be a way to renew a level of FUN in this time... (play on words intended)... 7/7 would be a great time.. IMO
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I am that guy that rips live performances off YouTube of garth and other artist because I like them more then the original sometimes. There is an intimacy with a live performance. If any Elvis fans remember his last live version of are you lonesome tonight. He totally screwed up the talking part but it was great because it was real.

I don�t know what to say about his horrible handling of Fun. As skywise pointed out garth said he did not want to release during a pandemic because of people being out of work but then does the drive in and charges a ridiculous amount of money. He does not sing the new songs off the album to promote it at all. In the last 2 months he has been in the opry live, network TV special and drive in, more then enough audience to promote a new single, yet he does not do it.

So we have to believe it�s one of these

- Garth has ADD. It would explain why he seems to jump all over the place with projects. The anthology was the thing and then it got side tracked. Then the records thing that seems to be sidelined, still waiting on the diamond thing to be explained and now it�s a project with Chris Pratt. Someone close to garth needs to give him a hard slap and say finish what you start my man.

- He can�t get Walmart, amazon or target to pre buy a trillion copies of Fun.

- He is not happy with it and keeps looking for other stuff to put on it.

- He just likes to screw with us lol

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I am that guy that rips live performances off YouTube of garth and other artist because I like them more then the original sometimes. There is an intimacy with a live performance. If any Elvis fans remember his last live version of are you lonesome tonight. He totally screwed up the talking part but it was great because it was real.
    haven't seen that Elvis clip/event/etc, but I will say I totally agree.. "It was Real".. that's what makes the live performances so special- the interactions, the banter, the technical imperfections.... sometimes I wish Garth would see that- he has a whole other revenue stream poss... that he ignores..

....So we have to believe it�s one of these

- Garth has ADD. It would explain why he seems to jump all over the place with projects. The anthology was the thing and then it got side tracked. Then the records thing that seems to be sidelined, still waiting on the diamond thing to be explained and now it�s a project with Chris Pratt. Someone close to garth needs to give him a hard slap and say finish what you start my man.

- He can�t get Walmart, amazon or target to pre buy a trillion copies of Fun.

- He is not happy with it and keeps looking for other stuff to put on it.

- He just likes to screw with us lol
    Garth does have a bit of a 'too many hands in too many diff projects' type of aura right now.. you have to wonder, or begin to wonder just what projects have been shelved or delayed if any. maybe Pratt's working w/ the diamond series thing somehow- I doubt it but anything's possible

Fun not being released, even though I have said and continue to say things on the order of "what's a few more months"... does perplex me, esp. in light of the money issue w/ the drive in show...

I think he's "happy" with it (FUN...). that is, unless he's not telling the truth and its not 'done' as he claims. I do suppose that is a poss. as well, though I'm more likely to say it's done and I agree w/ him, just hasn't released it..

Garth just liking to mess with people? LOL now THAT's always a poss!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread