+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking About Numbers

Thinking About Numbers

So where does Garth go with the numbers. I know some people don't care about numbers but I don't have much to do at Dialysis with one arm taped down. Can't read, don't watch TV and my pod mate isn't to much into Garth as I am. So again, I was laying there wondering what Garth is going to do with FUN and adding to his numbers.

With the current state of the music business, with no stream to speak of as well as downloads, Garth seems to be stuck with album sales vinyl or CD. I looked at the RIAA rankings and Garth is at #2 with 156 Million shipped (and basically sold). His top shipped album is Double Live at #9 with No Fences with 18 Million and Ropin' The Wind with 14 Million.

I think Garth would like to have at least 3 and the lead in Double Diamond Awards since only Double Live is only album over 20 Million shipped/sold. No Fences and Ropin' are the nearest to 20 Million. No Fences will probably get some push to get it over 20 Million. Ropin' should be included in the next Legacy boxed set and maybe an anniversary edition. Six Million is a lot to make up but I think he hasn't updated the numbers recently. One goal to reach.

Now as for Diamond Awards, Garth is close with In Pieces, the Chase... I think he wants another Diamond Award.

As for adding to the 156 Million, he still needs to update several of his albums and collections. Both Anthology sets charted and should have their numbers added. Christmas Together hasn't been added. Some of his catalog hasn't been updated also. A chance to move up is sure to be close by.

With FUN and maybe Triple Live should also help his numbers. Triple Live has been released in Anthology 3, in Legacy 1 and I am not sure if they can count the Fan Mix through I think Amazon. With just Legacy and Anthology, he should get credit for at least 3 Million and whatever the stand alone does when it comes out.

I think a Diamond box set is sure to come out. That should help pad No Fences and Ropin' The wind. Whether it helps In Pieces and the Chase remains to be seen.

I don't have access to deeper rankings/numbers from the RIAA. But he has at least 1-2 Million with Christmas Together, ? Million with both Anthologies, potentially 1 Million with FUN etc. Well I hope he releases and pays for the update to RIAA. Sorry for boring those who don't like numbers. But like I said, I get bored sitting at Dialysis for 4+ hours 3 days a week.:-)

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I think Garth would like to have at least 3 and the lead in Double Diamond Awards since only Double Live is only album over 20 Million shipped/sold. No Fences and Ropin' are the nearest to 20 Million. No Fences will probably get some push to get it over 20 Million. Ropin' should be included in the next Legacy boxed set and maybe an anniversary edition. Six Million is a lot to make up but I think he hasn't updated the numbers recently. One goal to reach.
    that is of course, assuming there is another legacy boxed set.. I'm sure he'd like to have one, but unless he'd reveal the ins/out s of the #'s and process difficulties and positives, I don't know that we'd get an accurate count of it's success. (it's REAL success).. Would be nice to have some 'anniversary editions' but Garth's kinda missed that at the start.. (unless he released a No Fences anniversary edition this year (not on tap that I know of), and a RTW anniversary edition the next... etc...

Now as for Diamond Awards, Garth is close with In Pieces, the Chase... I think he wants another Diamond Award.
    he won't come out and say it but I bet that's a good assumption..

I think a Diamond box set is sure to come out. That should help pad No Fences and Ropin' The wind. Whether it helps In Pieces and the Chase remains to be seen.

I don't have access to deeper rankings/numbers from the RIAA. But he has at least 1-2 Million with Christmas Together, ? Million with both Anthologies, potentially 1 Million with FUN etc. Well I hope he releases and pays for the update to RIAA. Sorry for boring those who don't like numbers. But like I said, I get bored sitting at Dialysis for 4+ hours 3 days a week.:-)
    A Diamond set would definitely be an interesting release, dep. on what came with it/on it...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

The Chase was already certified Diamond on January 23, 2020.

In Pieces was certified 9x Platinum on December 13, 2019.

Fresh Horses was certified 8x Platinum on February 14, 2020.

No Fences was certified 18x Platinum on February 14, 2020.

Triple Live was certified 4x Platinum on February 14, 2020.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section

Sooooo, many of the albums you mention were just recently recertified. I'm sure he'll keep making pushes, but considering the state of the music biz and the fact that he needs a whole other million for In Pieces, a whole other 2 million for Fresh Horses, and a whole other 2 million of No Fences, I'm not sure he gets those albums to Diamond/Double Diamond status anytime soon without SEVERAL more boxed sets. And frankly, I think the wells of boxed sets of the old albums are just about dried up.

But we'll see.

As I've said before though, I wish Garth would focus primarily on New Stuff instead of trying so hard to pad the legacies of the Old Stuff. But is what it is...

I know, I hate the way he tries to manipulate the numbers now. Before I could understand, but he doesn't have the clout he use to and he barely gets a Million shipped/sold. And when they get counted he gets the numbers blocked and never shows up again. If he does sell several hundred thousand instead of a million is nothing to be embarrassed about. Honestly, very few country albums hit a Million these days. I think Traveller by Chris Stapleton has been out 3 years or more and it is around 3+ Million. I think he will either do Legacy 2 or some kinda individual vinyl release ( maybe Garth brooks, Ropin' etc. If he wants to get different, he can release colored vinyl of his albums. (I know a lot people don't like vinyl either, oh well). Vinyl as a lot opportunities for the vinyl listeners and collectors. Except for relae on Amazon and ebay and other sites, it is hard to find New Garth CDs. I know I have trouble finding CDs at the few locations that still sell them. One of the record stores I go to says they can't order any Garth stuff. Interesting. Good points but I wish he'd just get off the pot, update all numbers. While he's at it, I think he should also get Neilsen/Soundscan to release the actual sale numbers. Then start a new streak with FUN and Triple Live. :-)

Thanks Emerald Isle, My computer won't let me see to much on RIAA site. I guess with a 17 year old computer, it get spoiled. I see so many albums and singles recertified or certified almost everyday it just watching Garth not do it. I mean yesterday Whitney Houston had one of her songs certified and she's been gone many years. I agree, I think he needs to focus on new music but I think he also has to keep the old stuff out there for the newer fans. But like I said, try finding new copies of catalog CDs at a store. A lot of newer fans want the old stuff and are pointed towards the Ultimate Hits CD. I have newer fans wanting catalog albums for songs they hear from an catalog album and can't find it. So they are forced to use ebay or Amazon. Oh well, he does what he wants. But I agree with you but I sure would like him to get his goals and start a fresh with new music. :-)

+ Reply to Thread