+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: FUN- new songs, old songs, etc.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133

    FUN- new songs, old songs, etc.

    ok, taking discussion hopefully of the new songs off the ISG thread and into this one..

    thoughts on the new songs? at first listen, I agree, they have a def country sound, and a George Strait vibe for certain
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,002
    It feels like he's lost his touch. His truly great last song was More Than A Memory (Ask Me How I Know was good too). It was a ballad in a form that he excelled in. Since then, he's been afraid to dip back into that magic. He's doing fast honk tonk songs or trying to be George Strait. Remember when you had songs like The River and What She's Doing Now on the same album? Then a song like Burning Bridges never made it as a single though it was good because of how great other songs on that same album were? So whether it's song selection or song writing, it's just not there anymore for him.

    I think Garth still has the ability. He's just choosing not to go that way for whatever reason and want to make everything "Fun". So, the songs aren't bad. I just don't think they live up to what he is capable of producing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Posts
    947
    Wow I totally disagree ... these two songs are MAGIC!! I love when Garth records really country songs ... !!!
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    It feels like he's lost his touch. His truly great last song was More Than A Memory (Ask Me How I Know was good too). It was a ballad in a form that he excelled in. Since then, he's been afraid to dip back into that magic. He's doing fast honk tonk songs or trying to be George Strait. Remember when you had songs like The River and What She's Doing Now on the same album? Then a song like Burning Bridges never made it as a single though it was good because of how great other songs on that same album were? So whether it's song selection or song writing, it's just not there anymore for him.

    I think Garth still has the ability. He's just choosing not to go that way for whatever reason and want to make everything "Fun". So, the songs aren't bad. I just don't think they live up to what he is capable of producing.
    Dang I respect your opinion but I love so much of what he's put out since 2014. This may be controversial but Man Against Machine is actually my favorite Garth Brooks album, with Ropin' the Wind behind that. Midnight Train is my favorite song of his. I think Ask Me How I Know is at least as good as More Than a Memory.

    And I'm just in love with the songs off FUN so far. I'm actually listening to a playlist of all of them right now and it just has a great feel. The Road I'm On is such a fresh feeling song. It reminds me of Apple Scruffs by George Harrison in that they both feel like driving down the road with your windows down on a warm spring day and they're both about appreciating fans. Dive Bar is a classic to me. I know there have been some divisive opinions on this one but it's so fun. It also did that thing that great songs sometimes do where it becomes tied to a place and time for me. I know it's a recent song but it came out right when we saw him in Oregon last year and it was just such a great memory for me and now that we're coming back into summer, listening to the song just gives me that fun summertime feeling.

    I'm not trying to discount your feelings on his music. Mostly I just feel sad that I've been enjoying it all so much and I know you're not. It's not all like classic Garth used to be, but I'm ok with that. He has an amazing catalog of songs that scratch that itch, and it would be cool to hear some more of it, but it's cool hearing what it's like for him to explore things he hasn't done before. To me the songs he's putting out now compliment the songs he put out before and give a more cohesive set of songs that we can use to find a Garth song to fit any mood or feeling.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,850
    Both songs are now in my Fun pre-order!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Both songs are now in my Fun pre-order!
    Yah- Mine too! (downloaded em)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    man had a whole big response and it vanished... Dang... oh well.. I'll say this much- I listened to both songs ... I def. hear the country vibe.. to me, that's what Cowboys do is the stronger of the two.. However, Party Gras is good too.. they both have a strait-esque sound.... can't say that's a bad thing..

    I like em- I understnad we all have diff. opninos on things, and honestly that's ok too . I disagree in a way with garthcop (though I def. value your opinion man...) I like em better. I think Garth mAY be a bit over-reaching in production and song selection, but these are good songs..

    Garth tried the 'relevance' game with MAM and GS.. he failed (IMO) in that endeavor. there were bits of 'returning to the good' in GS (with Honkytonk somewhere and whiskey to wine) (and he really loves you has a 'mr midnight ' vibe to me, just a bit) .. Ask Me how I know- not traditional but good song.... FUN seems to be bridging a return to a semi-earlier sound

    lol I asked my 16 yr old daughter to listen to the songs and give me her opinions.. without knowing anything other than that Garth was singing.. here's what she said..

    Party Gras

    - Little old time.. Piano sounds like something you'd here when you walk into a saloon (the intro)

    Feels like something you’d hear there..

    Something you’d hear in NO.. could drive to it (it’s groovy) - It has a def. New Orleans (Cajun?) type feel

    That's what Cowboys do

    Like the fiddle..

    Sounds like singer from home free a bit (she's a Home Free fan)

    Gives me yeehaw vibes (the exclamation not the show)

    Steel guitar - Thats the country vibe….

    Nice slower song, could dance to it at a wedding

    If words were different would be a very heartfelt song (gives a heart Felt vibe)

    Similar but not the same (like honeycrsip vs Fiji apples)

    Gives same vibe as 80s George Strait…(I played her a bit of Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind)


    --- I think it has a bit of the vibe/sound of "I just want to dance with you" by Strait...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,550
    I still can't see and therefore can't download the songs. :/
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by handinhand12 View Post
    Dang I respect your opinion but I love so much of what he's put out since 2014. This may be controversial but Man Against Machine is actually my favorite Garth Brooks album, with Ropin' the Wind behind that. Midnight Train is my favorite song of his. I think Ask Me How I Know is at least as good as More Than a Memory.

    And I'm just in love with the songs off FUN so far. I'm actually listening to a playlist of all of them right now and it just has a great feel. The Road I'm On is such a fresh feeling song. It reminds me of Apple Scruffs by George Harrison in that they both feel like driving down the road with your windows down on a warm spring day and they're both about appreciating fans. Dive Bar is a classic to me. I know there have been some divisive opinions on this one but it's so fun. It also did that thing that great songs sometimes do where it becomes tied to a place and time for me. I know it's a recent song but it came out right when we saw him in Oregon last year and it was just such a great memory for me and now that we're coming back into summer, listening to the song just gives me that fun summertime feeling.

    I'm not trying to discount your feelings on his music. Mostly I just feel sad that I've been enjoying it all so much and I know you're not. It's not all like classic Garth used to be, but I'm ok with that. He has an amazing catalog of songs that scratch that itch, and it would be cool to hear some more of it, but it's cool hearing what it's like for him to explore things he hasn't done before. To me the songs he's putting out now compliment the songs he put out before and give a more cohesive set of songs that we can use to find a Garth song to fit any mood or feeling.
    Nah. You're right. Sorry to be so negative. I'm excited about what he has coming out for us. Maybe I'm still waiting for that power ballad like More Than a Memory or Ask Me How I Know to come out and take us all by storm. And, who knows, maybe it will be on Fun. I really liked All Day Long and it was a good single to start off with. I like the Garth stance on how special it can be to listen to an album in it's entirety to appreciate the songs more and circumstances have caused him to change that this time. I wasn't super crazy about the new Kenny Chesney album as it was being released song by song until it's official release. Now I haven't stopped listening to it the past 2 weeks.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Maybe I'm still waiting for that power ballad like More Than a Memory or Ask Me How I Know to come out and take us all by storm.
    I think ďLive AgainĒ will scratch your itch.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    I’m hoping live again is good, I may be in minority but It did not really grab me at all when Garth sang it as part of the music 101 part at Notre dame
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I’m hoping live again is good, I may be in minority but It did not really grab me at all when Garth sang it as part of the music 101 part at Notre dame
    But you did say the song hit you a little bit different after you heard my cover of it stripped down.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,002
    Ok, I've been listening to the songs released so far on just the Fun album. And I have to say, it's actually good. I have Party Gras stuck in my head. I anticipate a well rounded album once we hear the rest.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Ok, I've been listening to the songs released so far on just the Fun album. And I have to say, it's actually good. I have Party Gras stuck in my head. I anticipate a well rounded album once we hear the rest.
    I agree. I'm glad you like them. I hope I didn't make you feel like you're wrong for having the opinion you do about his new music.

    I do feel like this album sounds pretty cohesive so far though. It's very country in a way that Garth hasn't really ever done but it's cool to see what he does with it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    But you did say the song hit you a little bit different after you heard my cover of it stripped down.
    true- just showing how things change with the way a song grabs me. I wanna hear what Garth does on the album release of the song itself (but man your covers, and your stripped down version of this song too- are awesome !)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by handinhand12 View Post
    I agree. I'm glad you like them. I hope I didn't make you feel like you're wrong for having the opinion you do about his new music.

    I do feel like this album sounds pretty cohesive so far though. It's very country in a way that Garth hasn't really ever done but it's cool to see what he does with it.

    I don't know if it's country in a way that Garth' hasn't REALLY EVER DONE... But I do think it's def. sounding country.. there's a true bridge (I think) being built in a way to the 'earlier' times. now that could be just me, and that thought could change but as I listen to the songs, I still get that feeling.. when you add in party gras and that's what cowboys do. the feeling's just stronger

    I had my mom, and my daughters independently listen to both songs and get their feedback.. ALL of them liked them, and think they sound like older country. all 3 said they could hear TWCD on a George Strait album with "does Fort Worth ever cross your mind" on it.. incidentally, all 3 ALSO said they liked the first song better (party gras).. I like em both but that's me...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by handinhand12 View Post
    I agree. I'm glad you like them. I hope I didn't make you feel like you're wrong for having the opinion you do about his new music.

    I do feel like this album sounds pretty cohesive so far though. It's very country in a way that Garth hasn't really ever done but it's cool to see what he does with it.
    No, you didn't. I appreciate your opinion. and actually, it's good to hear someone say something positive about Garth.

    I think I'm more frustrated with the songs that I think should have been singles and may have done better like Midnight Train, 18, and Weekend. But, maybe those are gems we're supposed to find as on his albums as fans.

  18. #18
    If the rest of the songs to be released on FUN are as good as the ones already released, this album is going to be in his top five for me.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    143
    Alright, just sat down and listened to FUN all the way though and I must say Iím pretty excited for the rest of the album.

    For me, album wise, the comeback has been a disappointment. I enjoyed MAM but felt it was four songs too long (Mom, Fish, Send Em, All American). I canít get through GS in the released tracklisting and half of the song choices are atrocious. Itís the first and only Garth album Iíve been truly disappointed with.

    I didnít experience any negativity listening to FUN. I love Stronger Than Me and the lack of drums, the piano is so damn powerful. Courage to Love wasnítí as rocky I remembered. Throughly enjoyed the two new songs I just wish there was more jamming. Wasnít a fan of Dive Bar initially just because I donít care for Blake Shelton, but damn Garthís vocals are really smooth.

    I listened to the tracks straight through as presented on Amazon and was sad when it ended. Whenever this thing is released I believe it will be worth the wait. And dare I say, it sounds FUN!

    Iím sorry I had to.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    If the rest of the songs to be released on FUN are as good as the ones already released, this album is going to be in his top five for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    Alright, just sat down and listened to FUN all the way though and I must say I’m pretty excited for the rest of the album.

    For me, album wise, the comeback has been a disappointment. I enjoyed MAM but felt it was four songs too long (Mom, Fish, Send Em, All American). I can’t get through GS in the released tracklisting and half of the song choices are atrocious. It’s the first and only Garth album I’ve been truly disappointed with.

    I didn’t experience any negativity listening to FUN. I love Stronger Than Me and the lack of drums, the piano is so damn powerful. Courage to Love wasn’t’ as rocky I remembered. Throughly enjoyed the two new songs I just wish there was more jamming. Wasn’t a fan of Dive Bar initially just because I don’t care for Blake Shelton, but damn Garth’s vocals are really smooth.

    I listened to the tracks straight through as presented on Amazon and was sad when it ended. Whenever this thing is released I believe it will be worth the wait. And dare I say, it sounds FUN!

    I’m sorry I had to.
    Agreed! I think I'm one of the few around here who really, really likes Gunslinger. That said, That's What Cowboys Do is, I think, one of the strongest songs he's done in the comeback era, partly because it sounds so natural and effortless compared to some of his other recent songs. And Party Gras, All Day Long, and Dive Bar are all super catchy. So yeah, I can't wait for the rest of this album. I really hope all the attentions it's been getting from him lately is a sign that he's still planning to release it this summer. Guess we'll see.

    It's also refreshing to see some positivity around here (despite the fact that I'm often one of the more critical posters). Yeah, the release of this album has been a %#&! show, but if the rest of it is even half as strong as what we've heard, I think it'll be worth it in the end.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Agreed! I think I'm one of the few around here who really, really likes Gunslinger. That said, That's What Cowboys Do is, I think, one of the strongest songs he's done in the comeback era, partly because it sounds so natural and effortless compared to some of his other recent songs. And Party Gras, All Day Long, and Dive Bar are all super catchy. So yeah, I can't wait for the rest of this album. I really hope all the attentions it's been getting from him lately is a sign that he's still planning to release it this summer. Guess we'll see.

    It's also refreshing to see some positivity around here (despite the fact that I'm often one of the more critical posters). Yeah, the release of this album has been a %#&! show, but if the rest of it is even half as strong as what we've heard, I think it'll be worth it in the end.
    I could bit#! ALL DAY LONG...I donít know whatís wrong with me...about the release, Iím just happy to have new music and that its good!

    I donít mean to bash Gunslinger, I do listen to it every now and then...let it go.... but I would have to say its my least favorite album with some of my favorite songs. I love HonkyTonk Somewhere and Whiskey to Wine and the vibe of He Really Loves You.

    Everyone stay safe...this has always been a safe haven for me, even before I started posting. I love our opinions and how we accept and debate them. Ive always felt this site has the ultimate Garth fans because Iíve always felt love here. And I think Garth would think thatís pretty cool.

    Love all.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    Alright, just sat down and listened to FUN all the way though and I must say Iím pretty excited for the rest of the album.

    For me, album wise, the comeback has been a disappointment. I enjoyed MAM but felt it was four songs too long (Mom, Fish, Send Em, All American). I canít get through GS in the released tracklisting and half of the song choices are atrocious. Itís the first and only Garth album Iíve been truly disappointed with.

    I didnít experience any negativity listening to FUN. I love Stronger Than Me and the lack of drums, the piano is so damn powerful. Courage to Love wasnítí as rocky I remembered. Throughly enjoyed the two new songs I just wish there was more jamming. Wasnít a fan of Dive Bar initially just because I donít care for Blake Shelton, but damn Garthís vocals are really smooth.

    I listened to the tracks straight through as presented on Amazon and was sad when it ended. Whenever this thing is released I believe it will be worth the wait. And dare I say, it sounds FUN!

    Iím sorry I had to.
    while I don't TOTALLY share your assessment of GS and MAM.... lol I have to say I agree, about FUN- I do think it will be worth the wait... whenever it's released
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Agreed! I think I'm one of the few around here who really, really likes Gunslinger. That said, That's What Cowboys Do is, I think, one of the strongest songs he's done in the comeback era, partly because it sounds so natural and effortless compared to some of his other recent songs. And Party Gras, All Day Long, and Dive Bar are all super catchy. So yeah, I can't wait for the rest of this album. I really hope all the attentions it's been getting from him lately is a sign that he's still planning to release it this summer. Guess we'll see.

    It's also refreshing to see some positivity around here (despite the fact that I'm often one of the more critical posters). Yeah, the release of this album has been a %#&! show, but if the rest of it is even half as strong as what we've heard, I think it'll be worth it in the end.
    you're not the only one who enjoyed Gunslinger Emerald. I won't say its' my FAVORITE album.. there were some good points though- honky tonk somewhere was a step back to the good of country music

    looking at the tracklisting again (I have the extended/ultimate collection version to listen to..)

    the only song(s) that were not good really, or not appropriate, not fitting, you name it..

    7- bang bang.. (and that HAS some good points, just that inept 'bang bang' throughout the song..
    8- pure adrenaline- I know it was put as the SEC football thing a couple years ago- it fits there- it's not country (IMO)
    9- the FILP version w/ Strait, Aldean, Urban, and FGL... honestly if it'd been just Garth and George Strait? it'd be good- but the confluence of all the voices ruined it..

    not a bad song (at first memory) but lol I'm struggling to remember 'sugarcane' off the top of my head..

    the rest of the album is good in one way or another, and honestly I think that Whiskey to Wine is a really good duet w/ TY.. one of the best if not the best they've had... dang, I'm gonna have to go back and listen to the post retirement albums again some !
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    I could bit#! ALL DAY LONG...I don’t know what’s wrong with me...about the release, I’m just happy to have new music and that its good!

    I don’t mean to bash Gunslinger, I do listen to it every now and then...let it go.... but I would have to say its my least favorite album with some of my favorite songs. I love HonkyTonk Somewhere and Whiskey to Wine and the vibe of He Really Loves You.

    Everyone stay safe...this has always been a safe haven for me, even before I started posting. I love our opinions and how we accept and debate them. Ive always felt this site has the ultimate Garth fans because I’ve always felt love here. And I think Garth would think that’s pretty cool.

    Love all.
    Amen to that Fences!!! stay safe y'all!


    and, oh yea (to add to a prior post).. I'm listening to sugarcane now.. it's ehh... but not the WORST I've heard either
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,002
    I've found myself listening to Gunslinger a lot lately. I just skip over Bang! Bang! I do think it may have been kind of a weird album for him to put out though based on where he was in his career. It was his sophomore album of his comeback and towards the end of his comeback tour. After an album that, though many of us liked, kind of disappointed as far as selling record numbers and having number 1s. Which is probably why he described it as one of the most LIVE sounding albums he's done since In Pieces since being on the stage is where he's most comfortable at. I really thought he would have released Weekend because he mentioned it in interviews. But at least he got a number 1 from it!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I've found myself listening to Gunslinger a lot lately. I just skip over Bang! Bang! I do think it may have been kind of a weird album for him to put out though based on where he was in his career. It was his sophomore album of his comeback and towards the end of his comeback tour. After an album that, though many of us liked, kind of disappointed as far as selling record numbers and having number 1s. Which is probably why he described it as one of the most LIVE sounding albums he's done since In Pieces since being on the stage is where he's most comfortable at. I really thought he would have released Weekend because he mentioned it in interviews. But at least he got a number 1 from it!
    good points actually. I dont know if Garth can (or should?) still be AS concerned with #1s etc.. he's an album 'guy' and the like, and we all know his penchant for numbers, but it seems to me like sales are down physical media wise- all along the board it would seem. tastes change..

    Lemme think...

    from Gunslinger, we had Baby Lets Lay Down and Dance, and Ask Me How I Know released as singles...

    what should have (well, let's say what would I LIKE TO HAVE SEEN released as singles?)

    Honky Tonk Somewhere
    Weekend - used to not think so, but it's catchy- could see a video for this one (but Garth wouldn't ever do it IMO )
    He Really Loves You (may not have been super successful though)
    Whisky to Wine
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,002
    What do you think about Eighteen? More of a song for us Garth loyalist?

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,133
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    What do you think about Eighteen? More of a song for us Garth loyalist?
    I need to listen to it again- it had a nice sound the first few times I listened to it, but (I guess I wasn't as fanatical of a fan as I thought) I didn't go overboard trying to decipher all the hidden 18's..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts