+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Are Looking Bad

Things Are Looking Bad

I don't see Charlotte or Cincinnati happening as scheduled.

Coachella is being postponed until October. Pearl Jam is postponing their Summer Tour indefinitely. Other events are going to start cancelling too. I can see the Final Four, NBA & NHL Playoffs and even MLB all making drastic decisions in the coming days.

I could see them still putting Vegas on sale, since it's not until August, but it too could be impacted if the overall situation does not improve significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGarthFan View Post
    I don't see Charlotte or Cincinnati happening as scheduled.

Coachella is being postponed until October. Pearl Jam is postponing their Summer Tour indefinitely. Other events are going to start cancelling too. I can see the Final Four, NBA & NHL Playoffs and even MLB all making drastic decisions in the coming days.

I could see them still putting Vegas on sale, since it's not until August, but it too could be impacted if the overall situation does not improve significantly.
    I guess it depends when they think the peak is, Italy is a complete mess, they say China has already reached its peak and cases are going down.

Here in New Zealand we have had five cases (Our population is just a tad under 5 million)

Australia are in the 100's I think.

I think as soon as the numbers of reported new cases each day drop, then I think it will be safe, how long that will take? Not sure, maybe a few months????

Would hope the world is on top of this thing in six months time.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 03-10-2020 at 08:08 PM.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I still at this point wouldn't panic- be vigilant but not panic... too many people are panicking and probably taking things out of proportion
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

He haven't hit peak here in the states about probably won't for a while longer. Epidemiologist here have said probably late April or early May. I totally agree with Skywise. People are panicking and imo it's the media's fault.

There is a difference between panic and taking necessary precautions to stop it from spreading. Even if the precautions might seem exaggerated now. I live in Switzerland, and the Swiss government started with quite drastic measures at an early stage (no events with more than 1'000 persons allowed to take place was the first one. There are more and stricter ones now and new ones being taken every day). They were in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't situation". Right now, I think they were right. It is still spreading here too, but I am certain it would have been a lot worse without those measures. Let's hope we will be over the worst soon.

I was supposed to fly to Dublin, Ireland tomorrow for the C2C festival and I am surprised this hasn't been cancelled yet. I am not going. I don't want to risk getting quarantined somewhere away from home. In my eyes, it is irresponsible to let such events go ahead at the moment. But I also understand that a lot of money is involved and taking such decisions is extremely hard.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

March Madness will be played in empty arenas, only family members/staff will attend.

nba suspends season.

EPL (UK soccer comp) will play remaining games in closed stadiums and pubs wont be able to show the games.

*Cough Cough*

Excuse me..

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    *Cough Cough*

Excuse me..
    haha.

at least 4 major colleges in Colorado have cancelled in person classes for time being and have transferred or are transferring classes to virtual/online status.. the CHSAA (Colorado High School Activites Association) state championships in basketball this weekend have put out the following..

we are making the difficult decision to limit attendance to essential team personnel only, without fans in attendance. Essential personnel means only those who have been submitted on the official CHSAA gate list by schools will be able to enter the venue. No spirit teams or bands will be permitted entry. Media will be permitted to attend, if they have a CHSAA-issued pass.

In response to several inquiries from family members of participants, each player will be allowed to have a maximum of four guests attend games. CHSAA assistant commissioner Bert Borgmann will be communicating directly with schools on instructions of how those guests will enter the venues, and how things will operate within the venue.
    vigilance? or panic... dont' know -but things are changing... fast

*Cough Cough* (in elbow)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I think if Garth had concerts in april, they wouldnt go ahead, I think come May, things would be settled and getting back to normal.

I also think what the scientists are worried about, is not the form the virus has currently taken, they're worried it might change to something more sinister.

This virus is sinister enough because the patients (I almost wrote victims here) that are badly affected by it need to be on a ventilator to help them breathe and in Italy for instance, they don't have enough ventilators. Doctors have described the situation is like in a war. They have to make horrible decisions... who is most likely to survive and therefore gets the ventilator? To prevent this from happening in other countries the drastic measures are taken to make sure health care can handle the number of seriously affected patients.

The US is taking the measure they're taking because we are a country 360 million people and we only have 300,000 hospital beds. You can afford to get everyone sick at the same time. The whole point of quarantines is to hopefully contain it enough so hospitals won't be bombarded. There was a Dr. from the NIH who testified yesterday that the number of people infected could reach 70 to 150 million before it's over. Eventually the virus is going to play itself out once people get an immunity to it. How long that will take is months. A vaccine is still a year to a year and a half away. Just be smart people.

just be smart is right- they've now cancelled school for kids tomorrow and they'll be an extra week off after spring break (no school till 27th)..

also the state has canceled the spring sports for high schools, till 4/6..

it's all kinda a whirlwind at the moment.. and it's a whirlwind of suck

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Primary and elementary schools here are open but the colleges are going online after an extended spring break.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Primary and elementary schools here are open but the colleges are going online after an extended spring break.
    they have 27 districts around the state now closed fro the next 2 weeks..

colleges.. at least 8 major colleges/universities in Colorado (cu, csu, unc, fort lewis, du, metro (downtown), cu-denver, that I know of ) have cancelled classes/gone to online after break.. (impacts a lot of people, but I know there are some music majors/students who are impacted a lot as it's hard to do music classes online...

yeah it's kinda getting crappy

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Our tourist industry is in for a meltdown, Our PM just passed a law that anyone entering NewZealand tourists or New Zealanders citziens themselves will be put into 14 days isolation.

Our country relies on tourism, thats our GDP, hell spells. No one is going to come here.

Yes, difficult times ahead. My son would have been one of those tourists, he was supposed to fly on April 19th. Not going to happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    Yes, difficult times ahead. My son would have been one of those tourists, he was supposed to fly on April 19th. Not going to happen now.
    Oh wow, hopefully he will able to get to this part of the world, once all this is over. So many people are being effected.

Well it's looking like the federal government is going to lockdown the country tomorrow. No crowds over 50 people so Garth will have to either cancel stadium shows or postpone.

Well it's looking like the federal government is going to lockdown the country tomorrow. No crowds over 50 people so Garth will have to either cancel stadium shows or postpone.
    Does federal government lockdown mean, no govt buildings open?? But businesses can be open?

Since Garth's next concert wont be until May, he may not cancel just yet.

Everything we have been told in this side of the world, is that by mid late april, this will be under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Does federal government lockdown mean, no govt buildings open?? But businesses can be open?

Since Garth's next concert wont be until May, he may not cancel just yet.

Everything we have been told in this side of the world, is that by mid late april, this will be under control.
    They don't know if it will under control or not. His first stadium show in early May and the next one is in mid May. There's no way he'll be able to play those. Lock down means no going anywhere except work and basically to the grocery store. A lot of places have already shut bars down and most restaurants can do take out only.

Where did you hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGarthFan View Post
    Where did you hear this?
    The government is going to do a press conference on new recommendations and the head of the administration's virus team has advised him to put a lockdown on the country. It was reported that he wanted 2 months as the CDC is advising but he right now the government is only comfortable with 14 days initially and can expand from there.

We (in Switzerland) are waiting for the press conference of our government too right now. It is expected that all shops/restaurants/sport clubs etc that are not necessary to survive, will have to close. People will have to stay at home unless they have an urgent reason to leave their homes (like a job that you can't do from home, or grocery shopping or walking your dog).

New Zealand has just closed its borders for non residents. Kiwis can come back, but in the meantime, no overseas visitors. Not sure how long for.

I guess it had to be done, but this will hurt New Zealand, hopefully it will be weeks and not months.

+ Reply to Thread