+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is garth missing the boat on streaming

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I'm sure theat he probably said it.. or parroted words from his "team" who told him, if not directly. He is wrong, it's that simple. it's not an 80/20 split where apple takes 80%.. it's a situation where Apple takes 30% and the rest (label, artist, songwriters etc) take 70%. Do artists still get screwed over? sure perhaps they do. but its' not Apple's doing... another hole busted in his anti Apple Music stance actually...
    As I've mention in the past, I had the wife of one of the Texas Country Artist (Casey Donahew) speak to my high school students. (Ironically, his name was featured on the marquee when they were talking about Stillwater on the Road Less Traveled documentary). She went into great depth on how Itunes ruined the industry because Apple did take most of the profits and people stopped buying albums and just bought the singles on Itunes. So only the big time artists ended up making money. Everyone else had to start really relying on merchandise sales and getting paid well for their gigs. According to her though, Apple did take most of the money. So, maybe it's changed the last 10 years. Pretty much everything Garth said about Apple was 10 years ago. He moved on.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    As I've mention in the past, I had the wife of one of the Texas Country Artist (Casey Donahew) speak to my high school students. (Ironically, his name was featured on the marquee when they were talking about Stillwater on the Road Less Traveled documentary). She went into great depth on how Itunes ruined the industry because Apple did take most of the profits and people stopped buying albums and just bought the singles on Itunes. So only the big time artists ended up making money. Everyone else had to start really relying on merchandise sales and getting paid well for their gigs. According to her though, Apple did take most of the money. So, maybe it's changed the last 10 years. Pretty much everything Garth said about Apple was 10 years ago. He moved on.
    I'm sure things have changed, I'm going off of what's said online on apple's and other sites... (not devaluing her comments nec, just that I'm going off of diff. sources..). it could be that she was talking music sales and the like, or it could be my #'s are coming after the onset of Apple Music (the service) that started in 2015...

regardless, a few things are right...

#1- you're def. right in that things have changed in 10 years.. Would be interesting to see if people could go back to the dawn of the digital music era really with the same type of knowledge they have now- how would things be different?

also (and I had to chuckle at this statement, it's so true)

Pretty much everything Garth said about Apple was 10 years ago. He moved on.
    it's not only apple- pretty much everything Garth's saying/doing musically is 10 years ago.. OR MORE.. (that's what made me chuckle)

Apple should change their ways some, sure. So should Garth
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    That. 0.003 is how much the song makes per stream. The artists doesn't see all of that $4.5 million. That money has to be split between the songwriters and and label.
    Yeah that's what I was saying. If he only saw $1500 of it, it's because of his label deal, not because that's how much streaming pays.

I can tell you that that is not true. Apple has always kept 30% of iTunes sales since the beginning, although I've heard they've cut deals with labels for certain big-name artists that had them keeping less than that. I know a lot of musicians do see Apple as having ruined the market with iTunes, but that's up for debate. I do agree with Garth that it sucks not having people listen to full albums like they used to. But on the other hand, piracy was ramping up so quickly when iTunes came around that if it wasn't created, album sales would have plummeted anyway.

I'm sure I can dig up an article from back when iTunes launched that talks about the cut Apple keeps, but I know for a fact the standard was 30% for Apple, 70% to the label.

Quote Originally Posted by handinhand12 View Post
    ... I do agree with Garth that it sucks not having people listen to full albums like they used to........
    the attention span of the music buying public has shrunk, in the same way that the entertainment attention span in other areas has shrunk.. people are way, way into immediate payout/gratification. I think that development has been (at least in part) due to the rise of the 'net and cell phones and the like..

Good point though, that it's up for debate.. I know there have been selections on iTunes which were 'album only' and thus not able to be purchased as singles.. The sticking point for Garth about singles/sales/songwriters etc. has been debunked more than once. Imagine though ,what Garth COULD do if he were to put his collection on apple, but have it as 'album only' and maybe even add in a 'bonus' or two of some sort with a purchase. would be great..

his problem is the 30%......

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    the attention span of the music buying public has shrunk, in the same way that the entertainment attention span in other areas has shrunk.. people are way, way into immediate payout/gratification. I think that development has been (at least in part) due to the rise of the 'net and cell phones and the like..

Good point though, that it's up for debate.. I know there have been selections on iTunes which were 'album only' and thus not able to be purchased as singles.. The sticking point for Garth about singles/sales/songwriters etc. has been debunked more than once. Imagine though ,what Garth COULD do if he were to put his collection on apple, but have it as 'album only' and maybe even add in a 'bonus' or two of some sort with a purchase. would be great..

his problem is the 30%......
    Exactly. I’ve always thought he should just make every song Album Only if that’s what he wanted to do. It has to be about the 30%. If he wanted sales to matter in the age of streaming, I’m confident he could find a way. Like you said, he could have bonus songs available for sale. Put up the core catalog for streaming, but for those fans that want more, put bonus songs up for download that you only get if you buy the full albums.

We all know the whole BS about the song writers getting cheated was just a ploy to sell full albums. He should be in iTunes if nothing else to reach new younger fans. It’s a shame but it’s his career

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    We all know the whole BS about the song writers getting cheated was just a ploy to sell full albums. He should be in iTunes if nothing else to reach new younger fans. It’s a shame but it’s his career
    ]
    He should be, definitely.

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I don't think the younger fans are listening to Itunes much anymore. It's all Spotify. And, 90s country has become big among teenagers (I know, I teach them) which doesn't require an Itunes account. So, I think he will end up coming out ok without doing Itunes. There was probably a 5 year period there that maybe he could have taken advantage of. But, would it really have made a big difference? I don't see young people going to Itunes just to look for Garth Brooks.

I don't think the younger fans are listening to Itunes much anymore. It's all Spotify. And, 90s country has become big among teenagers (I know, I teach them) which doesn't require an Itunes account. So, I think he will end up coming out ok without doing Itunes. There was probably a 5 year period there that maybe he could have taken advantage of. But, would it really have made a big difference? I don't see young people going to Itunes just to look for Garth Brooks.
    I have to totally agree, I asked a young girl who was at dialysis what she liked in country music and most of the artists were from the 90's except Taylor Swift, Cam and Maren Morris. I had someone give my brother some CDs and he just wanted the old school R&B stuff. So I took the country onesand gave them to a couple friends. I was talking to one who doesn't buy CDs anymore. She just listens to country radio locally. I asked why and she said she likes to save her money for concerts. She said CDs cost to much and she doesn't like to stream. The young girl who liked the 90's stuff was a big You Tuber. I know the chat was with two different people only but it seems like a small representation of whats going on. Maybe the music business needs to make music cheaper and attract back some people. When Shari said she saved her money for concerts that made me think of Garth. His shows sell out and he is still very popular on the concert circuit. That could be another reason for smaller sales. I actually feel sorry for artists. A lot are just releasing singles and you don't get an album for long stretches. Oh well, I will be happy with whatever Garth releases just so I have music. Since I don't stream every album especially the Live ones are a little different so they are fun to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I have to totally agree, I asked a young girl who was at dialysis what she liked in country music and most of the artists were from the 90's except Taylor Swift, Cam and Maren Morris. I had someone give my brother some CDs and he just wanted the old school R&B stuff. So I took the country onesand gave them to a couple friends. I was talking to one who doesn't buy CDs anymore. She just listens to country radio locally. I asked why and she said she likes to save her money for concerts. She said CDs cost to much and she doesn't like to stream. The young girl who liked the 90's stuff was a big You Tuber. I know the chat was with two different people only but it seems like a small representation of whats going on. Maybe the music business needs to make music cheaper and attract back some people. When Shari said she saved her money for concerts that made me think of Garth. His shows sell out and he is still very popular on the concert circuit. That could be another reason for smaller sales. I actually feel sorry for artists. A lot are just releasing singles and you don't get an album for long stretches. Oh well, I will be happy with whatever Garth releases just so I have music. Since I don't stream every album especially the Live ones are a little different so they are fun to listen to.
    The most recent episode of the Bill Simmons Podcast has a technology expert as the first guest. They talk a lot about streaming. He said the music industry is quietly emerging as the winner between podcasts, Netflix/Disney Plus/etc. subscriptions, airpods, etc. The reason being is because now it really is all about the music and not the product the music is sold on, aka..a CD. They get into the math of everything, but it was really fascinating. It's kind of what Garth has been preaching, but not quite the way he intended it to be taken with singles versus albums as the way people now prefer to consume their music through these different platforms.

+ Reply to Thread