+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 53 of 53

Thread: Prediction- Dive Bar goes number 1

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    after being n the charts for 33 weeks? (I think that's what y'all said). it may be/should be? what's next in the pipeline of singles I wonder
    Maybe that "Party Gras" song he keeps talking about

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Maybe that "Party Gras" song he keeps talking about
    makes sense (or it would)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,003
    Any idea how this song is doing this week? I'm in one of those addicting facebook debates on a Garth fanpage with the moderator who doesn't even know about Planetgarth and says this song is climbing fast and will hit number 1. But it dropped 2 spots this past week. I don't call that climbing.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Any idea how this song is doing this week? I'm in one of those addicting facebook debates on a Garth fanpage with the moderator who doesn't even know about Planetgarth and says this song is climbing fast and will hit number 1. But it dropped 2 spots this past week. I don't call that climbing.
    dont know myself..

    what FB fanpage is the debate happening in? I may wanna observe
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,003
    Garth Brooks Believers - Official Group. Arguing with Jason Bryan. For all I know he may be right. I've just seen him trying to argue with other people in the past and he tried to argue with me on this so I was ready for a battle. Lol.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    8,139
    lol... I was pretty sure that's the group- I'll have to go look

    He knows about PlanetGarth. It's my assumption (from what I 'member) that he's been banned from PG... his user name was chrisgaines. (or chrisgainesfan I think?)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,003
    Ah. Makes sense. He said PG was a female who worked at Sirius XM Lol

  8. #38
    I could be wrong but I think the Mediabase chart mirrors the Billboard. Dive Bar is #5 on the Mediabase chart.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    I could be wrong but I think the Mediabase chart mirrors the Billboard. Dive Bar is #5 on the Mediabase chart.
    That's what he is saying. I'm all for it. Don't mind being wrong.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    847
    It all depends on what chart he is referring to. On Billboard’s Country Airplay (which most consider the more important chart) “Dive Bar” dropped one spot to #9. It’s peak was last week at #8. On Billboard the song lost plays and audience impressions as well so it appears to be done on that chart. Unless it gets some sort of artificial push I can’t imagine it goes any higher.

  11. #41
    The song is getting a final push this week. It will end up somewhere around 3-5 on the charts and drop like a rock next week.

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    It all depends on what chart he is referring to. On Billboard’s Country Airplay (which most consider the more important chart) “Dive Bar” dropped one spot to #9. It’s peak was last week at #8. On Billboard the song lost plays and audience impressions as well so it appears to be done on that chart. Unless it gets some sort of artificial push I can’t imagine it goes any higher.
    For some reason. Billboard no longer lets me see the airplay chart. I have to join their subscription service.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    The song is getting a final push this week. It will end up somewhere around 3-5 on the charts and drop like a rock next week.
    This may be true, but that is insane. I used to work in country radio and I’ve never seen a song pushed so hard. This was losing spins/points weeks ago yet has had multiple artificial bumps. I’m not sure this last push is going to push it that high. We shall see.

    This is almost as bad as the RIAA manipulation. Geez!
    Last edited by rhd13; 02-29-2020 at 07:59 AM.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    It all depends on what chart he is referring to. On Billboard’s Country Airplay (which most consider the more important chart) “Dive Bar” dropped one spot to #9. It’s peak was last week at #8. On Billboard the song lost plays and audience impressions as well so it appears to be done on that chart. Unless it gets some sort of artificial push I can’t imagine it goes any higher.
    Ah. That was the exact case I was making in my self imposed debate on that FB page.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Santa Maria
    Posts
    2,216
    On Hot Country songs on billboard this week, Dive Bar moved up 5 spots to #17. I don't know how that will effect the other charts. Been going like this for 35 weeks.

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    847
    This went up to #6 on Billboard Country Airplay. I am just stunned. Can't believe this song is still going. The push at radio has been insane. This song was dead weeks ago but they just keep pumping out ads and a promo campaign in Billboard and trying to run it up the chart. Good for them I guess. This is the first time I've really felt a song of his at radio felt like the RIAA numbers where it just feels the final result has been padded by an artificial push.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    847
    I realize most people don't see the ads that end up in Billboard or Country Aircheck which are the "magazines" that radio stations use and have the charts in them. It is commonplace for ads to be ran to ask for airplay and for votes in the award shows. Sometimes you have artists/labels thanking radio for their support of a #1 song as well.

    Garth has had ads the last several weeks really pushing "Dive Bar" with the kind of hype/spin you'd expect. A couple of weeks ago there was an ad for "Dive Bar" that said "20 in 2020 = 5 Decades of #1's: A 1st for Country Radio: A 1st for Country Music". This ad doesn't even make sense because if "Dive Bar" hit #1 it would be his 21st on Billboard so it should be 21 in 2020???? I guess 21 isn't the nice round number they wanted for the ad. Plus when the ad was placed the song was barely in the Top 10.

    Now the story that is circulating, which has to have been put out by his team, is that he is the first artist to have a Top 5 hit in 5 consecutive decades. So the story on it changed once it appeared it wasn't going to hit #1. The interesting part is it still hasn't hit top 5 on Billboard, only Mediabase, so technically it is accurate but it also feels kind of a stretch. Of course, we are kind of used to the number stretching at this point.

    I'm just so concerned that at this point it isn't just the album sales that are about the numbers, but now that mindset has entered into the way he is pushing the singles at radio. It's all about chart placement and the historic spin he can put on it. As I said in another thread, when everything is described as historic then it kind of makes all of it not that big of a deal. I LOVE watching the numbers, but it is frustrating that seems to be all this is about any more.

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,850
    I agree that, since the comeback, Garth's priority #1 appears to be legacy building. Heck, his last release was even no-so-subtly called "Legacy." Maybe that comes from his marketing background. Maybe it's based on his love of sports where stats and numbers are what defines many athletes and teams.

    As for me, though, I just love Garth, and so I wish he would worry less about, as rhd13 put it, artificially padding numbers and making everything "historical," and just focus on making great music and putting on great concerts. I felt like if he was moving forward a little more organically and without so much concern about how "historical" everything was, his legacy and history building would take care of itself.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I realize most people don't see the ads that end up in Billboard or Country Aircheck which are the "magazines" that radio stations use and have the charts in them. It is commonplace for ads to be ran to ask for airplay and for votes in the award shows. Sometimes you have artists/labels thanking radio for their support of a #1 song as well.

    Garth has had ads the last several weeks really pushing "Dive Bar" with the kind of hype/spin you'd expect. A couple of weeks ago there was an ad for "Dive Bar" that said "20 in 2020 = 5 Decades of #1's: A 1st for Country Radio: A 1st for Country Music". This ad doesn't even make sense because if "Dive Bar" hit #1 it would be his 21st on Billboard so it should be 21 in 2020???? I guess 21 isn't the nice round number they wanted for the ad. Plus when the ad was placed the song was barely in the Top 10.

    Now the story that is circulating, which has to have been put out by his team, is that he is the first artist to have a Top 5 hit in 5 consecutive decades. So the story on it changed once it appeared it wasn't going to hit #1. The interesting part is it still hasn't hit top 5 on Billboard, only Mediabase, so technically it is accurate but it also feels kind of a stretch. Of course, we are kind of used to the number stretching at this point.

    I'm just so concerned that at this point it isn't just the album sales that are about the numbers, but now that mindset has entered into the way he is pushing the singles at radio. It's all about chart placement and the historic spin he can put on it. As I said in another thread, when everything is described as historic then it kind of makes all of it not that big of a deal. I LOVE watching the numbers, but it is frustrating that seems to be all this is about any more.
    Kind of makes you question any time a song goes number 1.

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I agree that, since the comeback, Garth's priority #1 appears to be legacy building. Heck, his last release was even no-so-subtly called "Legacy." Maybe that comes from his marketing background. Maybe it's based on his love of sports where stats and numbers are what defines many athletes and teams.

    As for me, though, I just love Garth, and so I wish he would worry less about, as rhd13 put it, artificially padding numbers and making everything "historical," and just focus on making great music and putting on great concerts. I felt like if he was moving forward a little more organically and without so much concern about how "historical" everything was, his legacy and history building would take care of itself.
    I tend to agree on that last sentence. I get it is a business and all artists want to take care of their legacy. However, I feel just making great music, playing the huge shows and allowing things to happen a little more naturally would benefit him.

    Everything doesn't has to be labeled as "historic" or some sort of achievement that is rare or that no one has ever done. It's cool enough to make great records and sell out stadiums. Every single thing doesn't have to be "record breaking". I've heard that hype so much I just roll my eyes now.

  21. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Kind of makes you question any time a song goes number 1.
    Yes, it does to some extent. I worked in radio so I get there are ads, labels push for plays and all those types of things. I've just always felt there was at least some organic element to it. (I think it has gotten worse since I quit working in that field.) I remember the higher ups at our station would track requests, what songs got listeners excited, etc. So it was always clear to me that our audience played a role in what got played. I specifically remember some songs that were regional hits that were hits in our listening area that didn't really become that huge nationally. Now, it just seems like there are the few big conglomerates (like iHeart radio) that there is too much manipulation and artificial pushes. Unfortunately, "Dive Bar" is a perfect example of this I think. That song was dead weeks ago, but it still gained points last week.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Santa Maria
    Posts
    2,216
    I think it is funny that people don't know about buying ads to help push an album to the top of the charts. It is like music award shows, those can be bought also. Money talks. LOL

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I think it is funny that people don't know about buying ads to help push an album to the top of the charts. It is like music award shows, those can be bought also. Money talks. LOL
    I agree for the most part. The thing is people still have to buy/stream the album and radio still has to play the songs. There have been many ad campaigns that didn't pay off. In reality, Garth's campaign for "Dive Bar" didn't. The ad I saw was pushing for him to be the first act to have a #1 hit on country radio in 5 different decades. It didn't happen so ultimately the campaign didn't totally work.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts