+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something Wierd

Something Wierd

I was at the RIAA site and noticed that Garth was still at 148 million but Elvis was revised to 139 Million from 146.5. I am curious to what happened? I was thinking Elvis could catch Garth but that didn't happen. Anyone heard anything?
    Last edited by gbkubfan; 12-03-2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: wrong total

The only thing i can think of is possible returns to the record label maybe due to stores not selling cds anymore. Thats just my guess
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Throughout history the RIAA has changed totals. For instance Prince used to be at 39.5 million. They ended up dividing his sales into Prince, Prince and the NPG, Prince and the Revolution, etc. Another example is Kenny Rogers totals went down when they separated out his albums with Dottie West.

I’m not sure if this is the case with Elvis, but I’m not aware of them lowering a certification level for any other reason. Once you get the award it’s yours. Don’t think they ever remove the award. It just sometimes gets shifted around.

This is why RIAA certifications are so muddy and most people use Soundscan for keep up with records.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    This is why RIAA certifications are so muddy and most people use Soundscan for keep up with records.
    I mean I agree and disagree. If all someone cares about is 1991 and after then Soundscan is clearly the way to go. The problem is if someone cares about anything prior to 1991 (or a broader historical context) Soundscan is pretty worthless. Soundscan can tell you nothing about the Beatles, Elvis, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson or anyone else prior to 1991. So while I agree Soundscan is the go to thing after 1991 it really can't provide any great historical context because it doesn't cover over 4 decades of what is generally referred to as the rock era.

Also, I don't feel like the RIAA is that muddy. They have made changes over the years to better things. Some of the changes I mentioned above come because they are trying to give a more accurate account of what has happened.

I think the biggest thing with RIAA is understanding what it represents. It is shipments (which prior to the digital age that was what labels were concerned with because they got paid for the store buying the album). They still cover shipments, but now it is primarily digital and streaming. So they are always trying to give an accurate account. Sure, it isn't perfect, but it is the best we've got to cover all eras.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't feel it is muddy at all, but I think part of that is because I followed RIAA numbers from the time I was a kid and because I'm interested in a broad historical context not just 1991 and forward.

Garth clearly is interested in them and I imagine that is because of the historical context. He wants that title of Best Selling Artist.

PS - It could also just be an error on the website. I have seen when they are changing things or making updates that for a brief period of time there is an error for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I was at the RIAA site and noticed that Garth was still at 148 million but Elvis was revised to 139 Million from 146.5. I am curious to what happened? I was thinking Elvis could catch Garth but that didn't happen. Anyone heard anything?
    So I went to an Elvis message board to see if anything had been said about this. According to a post on that board all of his EPs have been removed from that count. Sounds like the RIAA are making some sort of update or changes. Personally, I'm not sure if I think EPs should be included on the album count. Anyways, it appears it is nothing terribly weird. They are probably doing that with EPs for all artists would be my guess.

+ Reply to Thread