+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garth's Studio G Comments this week on his Record Label

Garth's Studio G Comments this week on his Record Label

Garth mentioned how there should have been more singles released from his Man Against Machine album (he really like that album it sounds like), but his label was having issues at the time. He emphasized that it's all good now. What issues do we know that the label was having when he made his comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Garth mentioned how there should have been more singles released from his Man Against Machine album (he really like that album it sounds like), but his label was having issues at the time. He emphasized that it's all good now. What issues do we know that the label was having when he made his comeback?
    There's his own label, "Pearl" But he used "Sony" for marketing and such for Man against Machine, and they were apparently going thru huge troubles at the time. So perhaps he was
    talking Sony and not Pearl.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    There's his own label, "Pearl" But he used "Sony" for marketing and such for Man against Machine, and they were apparently going thru huge troubles at the time. So perhaps he was
    talking Sony and not Pearl.
    That makes sense. It didn't seem right that Pearl would let him down.

I donít understand and maybe someone on here can explain to me why you need a record label to release a single?

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I don’t understand and maybe someone on here can explain to me why you need a record label to release a single?
    It's easier to get in on radio, streaming services and getting promoted. You can do it independently but it's much harder.

For the record, I think there were much deeper problems going on with Sony at the time, but I think most of us might remember the blowback it got when Gary Overton (Former CEO of Sony Nashville) made the comment about how "if you're not being played on the radio, you don't exist." But from an article I may have read a few years ago, I think Sony wanted Garth to go on Spotify but he wouldn't budge and I think that was one of the reasons why he left Sony on the North American side while still keeping them for international distribution.

+ Reply to Thread