+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What the popularity of vinyl means for Garth fans

What the popularity of vinyl means for Garth fans

With the surge in the popularity of vinyl, I think itís bad news for Garth fans desiring more new music. Garth is able to now continue the reissue of older music. With at least three more Anthology sets as well as certainly more Legacy collections, the reissues will continue for several years. My concern is that Garth will push new music to the wayside in favor of chasing numbers. My hope is that he allows new music maybe to be packaged with these vinyl projects.

I think he will release new music but if he follows the trend of today's artists, not that major of a deal. Times have changed. I am glad to see vinyl coming back. I have my albums from the 70's and have dabbled in vinyl over the years. I think vinyl is something that gets Garth excited. If vinyl does sell well I am sure he will release the new stuff on vinyl. I say if you like vinyl embrace it and if you don't, don't ruin it for those who do. Personally I would love to have his entire catalog on vinyl. :-)

Most artist would focus on new stuff and release vinyl as a side note. Garth acts like it is some new format that is going to change the entire game. The next few years is going to be very disappointing

I am still confused at how well vinyl will do with the millinials into streaming and downloads. But articles about millinials ( I know I keep misspelling it), say they are getting into vinyl. Looking at the ads for Black Friday and Christmas sales, I saw a lot of record players being advertised. I mean even Kohls had 3 models for sale as well as vinyl albums and accessories. Several older for lack of a better word have released their catalog in vinyl. Barenaked Ladies just released a vinyl only album (which I bought and it is great). Wal Mart has expanded thier vinyl selection as has Best Buy. So is vinyl coming back big time? For some reason as I sat in the dialysis chair for my five hours I was thinking about how Garth would handle the vinyl going forward. Does he release the new stuff as he has been doing in CD and Amazon only, or does he open it up with others to make money (what there is) from the streaming and downloads. Does he force fans into buying vinyl only. When I was watching the A & E doco, he seemed heartbroken when telling the story about the songwriter who needed money when he first came to Nashville. Since he really doesn't need the money this late in life, does he do what will help the songwriters and just do vinyl and CDs? What will the people fighting the vinyl fad do if he releases FUN and new albums the old way. Personally I would like Garth to open up all avenues for the new stuff. Start releasing the new stuff on all programs Itunes, Apple, Amazon...whatever. If he wants vinyl to do good, then include stuff only available with the album. I remember back in the 70's the posters and things that the vinyl records came with. He could double albums for vinyl only with the regular version and the second disc with outtakes, demos etc that can only be available on vinyl. So many avenues to explore. Garth doesn't need his music to sell 10 million copies anymore. He can release his catalog on vinyl and work towards double diamond and diamond status with shipping. And my last though after laying in the chair. I had a fellow Garth fan confirm that he bought Legacy as part of a ticket bundle for Michigan. So is Garth trying out bundling in anticipation for FUN? Work the kinks out now? Well I had other thoughts while I laid in the chair but those will be saved for another time. I think my cuz and I are headed to the big city and going to stop by a real record store. I will pick up a couple of Garth CDs that aren't in the used section and help his Soundscan numbers...LOL. I am buying them for Xmas gifts for a couple of people I am indoctrinating into Garth fans including the bus driver who takes me to dialysis. I just gave her Christmas Together which I found at wal Mart. She really wants to hear Chris Gaines so maybe I will find one there. It is funny how many people are discovering Garth so late in his career. I wear my Garth hoodie and t-shirts to dialysis since I have to be comfortable so everyone knows I like Garth and it is a conversation starter. :-)

Millennials are fickle. Randa is correct. Most artist use vinyl as a side note and not a major way of moving physical copies of music.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Millennials are fickle. Randa is correct. Most artist use vinyl as a side note and not a major way of moving physical copies of music.
    Unfortunately (to the detriment perhaps of the poss. of Garth getting newer and newer music out there, etc..). Garth is not 'most artists'. he seems to have a definite dinosaur attitude and attraction for the niche vinyl format...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread