+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difference between Garth and Eric Church

Difference between Garth and Eric Church

Garth doesnt tear people down, he respects other artists, and lifts them up. Very humble is our Garth that is why he is my idol. Check out this link.
    https://tasteofcountry.com/garth-boo...rie-underwood/
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

He's a great guy who cares about his fans and respects the artists who preceded him. I don't know why some people call him egotistical.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven75407 View Post
    He's a great guy who cares about his fans and respects the artists who preceded him. I don't know why some people call him egotistical.
    I completely agree that Garth is extremely nice and humble on a one to one level, and even in his public persona.

The criticism that he's egotistical usually comes from those in the industry on the business side of country (i.e, fellow artists, etc). And if you look at things from their view, you can kinda see why they're jealous and/or cranky about Garth. Garth's way of going about things from a business perspective has always been "my way or no way!" He strong-armed Capitol back in the day, likely taking away focus from other artists. He rarely does duets, and when he does, he usually insists on using his producer, his band, etc. He has used the same crew, live band, studio band, and producers since the beginning, and he owns his own masters, uses his own studio, and distributes through his own label, essentially cutting out usual Nashville rainmakers. He generally likes to use a small group of songwriters, and I'm sure booking him for awards show stuff is hard because of his control issues. Of course there are more example, and there are numerous exceptions to those I mentioned, but the general idea is that to those in the industry, on the business side, Garth likely comes across as very insular, shut off, bully-ish, and yes, perhaps a tad egotistical.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I completely agree that Garth is extremely nice and humble on a one to one level, and even in his public persona.

The criticism that he's egotistical usually comes from those in the industry on the business side of country (i.e, fellow artists, etc). And if you look at things from their view, you can kinda see why they're jealous and/or cranky about Garth. Garth's way of going about things from a business perspective has always been "my way or no way!" He strong-armed Capitol back in the day, likely taking away focus from other artists. He rarely does duets, and when he does, he usually insists on using his producer, his band, etc. He has used the same crew, live band, studio band, and producers since the beginning, and he owns his own masters, uses his own studio, and distributes through his own label, essentially cutting out usual Nashville rainmakers. He generally likes to use a small group of songwriters, and I'm sure booking him for awards show stuff is hard because of his control issues. Of course there are more example, and there are numerous exceptions to those I mentioned, but the general idea is that to those in the industry, on the business side, Garth likely comes across as very insular, shut off, bully-ish, and yes, perhaps a tad egotistical.
    Well put....

He certainly is (or I'd have to say would appear as I've not met him personally... SOMEDAY.....) nice and humble and genuine in public.. There is a certain level of image you have to maintain and he's seemingly maintained that same image for going on now 30 yrs of released music).

There is a certain level of ego surrounding Garth.. He's human, and really if you look at it- he's arguably one of the most influential artists of any genre in this generation... (yes thats opinion laden sure .... ) The influence he wields (and thus his ego) can be seen as positive and negative I suppose..

All great points as to why he's seen as negative/egotistical/bullyish etc. by the industry...... It boils down to what you said though here:

Garth's way of going about things from a business perspective has always been "my way or no way!"
    . He's always been that way and he's always done things his own way.... which is both amazing, and aggravating.. it's what makes me (personally) admire him, and yet wish he would see the error of such thinking. (i.e. with apple, streaming, album sales, etc...). (Garth's way of dealing with apple is a great case study actually in his 'my way or the highway' philosophy, as well as his perhaps bully-ish way of doing things from a business standpoint)

he has a brand to protect... an image... and now (dare we say it.......). a legacy...

just my .02 at the moment
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread