+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EOY Again!

EOY Again!

Eric Church has to be pissed! Lol

HA! Yep

HOLY COW!!!

We dont get the show on tv here, but ive been following on twitter, that must be a upset right!!!

WELL DONE GARTH!!!!

WOW!!!!! How awesome is that for Garth.

I am shocked Eric church did not take a swing at him. Love it knowing that cry baby did not get it

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Wtg garth!!!!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

The carrie underwood fans are going off on twitter.

Ther eric church fans are pissed.

Garth sold out 12 huge stadiums this year, played dive bars, did a ton of charity work, as we know did Inside Studio G. Hes always been respectful and represents country well,
    he deserves this.

A lot of comments are coming out that he shouldve mention Carrie in his acceptance speech. I dont
    thats a big deal myself.

Good on him, man inside Studio G is going to be good next week.

Garth's trending on twitter now.

Congrats to Garth.

I am not surprised the Carrie fans are going off on twitter. They go off on everyone. In the past they went off on Miranda for her FVOY wins. They went off on Faith Hill in the last year over something I was not really sure what they are ranting about. What really took the cake for me was the day it was announced Carrie had her second baby, it was also announced one of the Pistol Annie's baby had been born too. Boy some of them took to social media and attacked the Pistol Annie's member telling her it was Carrie's day and no one cared about her baby. I can not believe they behave the way they do. In fact, I was a huge Carrie fan but her fans have turned me off on even enjoying her music.

Twitter is the cesspool of the internet.

Had lost a fellow political colleague to the Twitter angry machine (non-Garth reasons) because she kept adopting this "my way or the highway" attitude that not only frustrated me but also people WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HER ALLIES! So one night I got frustrated with her, after she called me hateful, so I called her out for being a *****...didn't end well.

So yes, Twitter is now a cesspool and I've been toying with the idea of just shutting mine down, because I don't even use it anymore.

Anyway, I'm almost sad that I missed Garth winning, but if they had left Old Town Road out of the show I would've watched it. I feel sorry for you guys that like that song, but it never belonged to Country Radio nor did it deserve an award, I do not give a shit if Billy Ray Cyrus was on it. Old Town Road, does not belong to Country Music.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Had lost a fellow political colleague to the Twitter angry machine (non-Garth reasons) because she kept adopting this "my way or the highway" attitude that not only frustrated me but also people WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HER ALLIES! So one night I got frustrated with her, after she called me hateful, so I called her out for being a *****...didn't end well.

So yes, Twitter is now a cesspool and I've been toying with the idea of just shutting mine down, because I don't even use it anymore.

Anyway, I'm almost sad that I missed Garth winning, but if they had left Old Town Road out of the show I would've watched it. I feel sorry for you guys that like that song, but it never belonged to Country Radio nor did it deserve an award, I do not give a shit if Billy Ray Cyrus was on it. Old Town Road, does not belong to Country Music.
    I watched the awards last night (haven't done that in a while).. They never played the song that I remember- vocal event was announced as an award 'awarded earlier in the evening'.. they showed billy ray and Nas several times during night (Nas looked positively uncomfortable) but that was about it

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I was actually pulling for Carrie myself, but Garth got it. I liked what he told Luke Combs. I would add Thomas Rhett to that list, if they nominated him. All the Garth haters are probably people who have not followed his career for as long as most of us (no offense to any new fans). I have a Twitter account but very seldom use it. Garth raised the bar extremely high for everyone in country music and I personally think every artist in Nashville today owes him credit for what he's done.
    Last edited by Steven75407; 11-14-2019 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

I didn't think he would get it at first. But when they showed a clip of him at the Arizona concert when announcing him as a nominee, it was obvious that those were spiritual experiences that people are experiencing. On top of that, he's entertaining nearly 100K people at once in some of the locations. It was a no brainer. I bet the committee thought so too.

Im not a fan of Old Town Road either but it seems as if you also have a “my way or the highway” attitude.

It's amazing the # of people going "What has Garth done recently?" or even "I thought he was still retired." They can't believe he won in large part because they aren't paying attention to what he's doing. It just blows my mind!
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Garthfan92 View Post
    It's amazing the # of people going "What has Garth done recently?" or even "I thought he was still retired." They can't believe he won in large part because they aren't paying attention to what he's doing. It just blows my mind!
    Well, in fairness, it's not like he's been a radio staple since the comeback. Even Ask Me How I Know, which supposedly went #1, I almost never heard on the radio. He's not on Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, or anywhere else that the average music listener actually listens to music nowadays. The Ultimate Collection was only sold at Target... and only on CD... a dying format. His "latest" album went up for pre-order at just one single retailer a year and a half ago, and STILL hasn't been released. Legacy by all accounts has done well, but it's all older material and is being sold on an even more niche format than CDs.

Sure, his tours have been hugely successful, but even Garth himself has all but admitted that they're basically nostalgia shows where he'll mostly only play "the old stuff." And yes, the Dive Bar video has had an enormous number of views, but again, since it's not on Youtube, so it's probably still going mostly unnoticed by the general public.

So while we here know that Garth has had a LOT going on the past year... I can totally see where the average younger country music listener might legitimately ask, "what has Garth done lately to justify winning EOY?" Especially when compared to radio, YouTube, streaming, and touring giants like Carrie, Keith, and Miranda.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he won, but it doesn't feel quite as deserved as his previous wins.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 11-15-2019 at 01:42 AM.

Good points Emerald. But...you knew a but was coming...lol The average music fan isn't voting. Its the people who work the business and see everything we, the average music lover, don't see. The purpose of the CMA's is to promote those who are trying to Sell country music to the masses and reward them for it. Despite our dislike of the constant repackaging of his catalog, it does sell on some level and the radio stations play his catalog. So I think he fit the guidelines for CMA "rules" and deserved the win. I had friends who went to Carrie's concert and it wasn't sold out. Who is to know if others were the same way. You really didn't hear much of her unless you were in the stops she was playing. And unless you were midwest or back east I don't think Eric Church was big thing. Yes West Coast bias. So yeah Garth hasn't done anything but release so-so singles, do big stadium tours, small dive bar tours but I think he is still selling catalog and that is what makes money for the country music business and they don't want to kill the golden calf. Country is just starting to make a mark on streaming and the usual country album debuts with 30-50 thousand (unless you are Taylor Swift and she ain't country anymore). Luke Combs is selling but he is only around 3 million after a year or so. Garth will probably fall behing the cowd if he doesn't get this streaming thing handled. He is old school and that is ok. It sells catalog just like Beatles and Elvis and Eagles.....

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I am right there with Emerald. We, as big Garth fans, know what he has got going on, but I don't think it is always as far reaching as we think.

Not only do you have all the things Emerald listed, but I just wanted to add a few things. There have been years when the Entertainer of the Year has had 4 #1 singles. Garth hasn't had a Top 10 hit since 2017. You have years where the Entertainer of the Year has multiple albums on the country charts. Garth hasn't released a studio album of NEW material since 2016. From a purely objective place I think you can make a very strong argument he shouldn't even have been nominated much less won. Again, I know that is a very unpopular opinion here, but the reason people are upset is not a crazy one. Garth has been awarded twice, in 2016 and 2017, for his touring prowess since the comeback. He's only done around a dozen of so shows (that one could buy tickets to) in 2019. When you couple that with his lack of output of new music I get the rage.

I think in the long run the 7th EOTY trophy helps his legacy. However, in the short run I think it hurts. The CMA tried to put this show together to celebrate women and prove that they are turning a page in the industry. In the end, the same ol' guy won to many of them. His win, for many, is a representation of the problem in country music. Even though I don't think Garth did anything wrong. He just did his job. However, we all know people aren't reasonable especially in this social media/spew venom world we live in.

I have mixed feelings. I'm happy for Garth. He's arguably the GOAT and definitely the greatest of the past 30 years. I love anytime he gets recognized for all he has done for the format. On the flip side, the objective part of me TOTALLY GETS why people are so upset.

One final point, I do understand that the industry votes and it isn't the general fan. I used to work with people who were voters. However, the CMA voters are notorious for sticking with the status quo and taking forever to award someone new and different. Sometimes it is the fans who are actually more in touch with the pulse of what is happening more than the voters themselves. I think that is the case here.

I meant to put this in my post above and forgot. When it comes to the CMAs and who I think should win I usually try to play the objective game. I know the acts I personally want to win, but I try to play out who I honestly think is most deserving. One thing I always do is look at the year end Billboard charts, which should be coming in about 2 weeks. The Entertainer of the Year nominees should be people that end up in the top 5-10 of all the different categories and charts that Billboard publishes. In other words, any way you twist it or measure it that person should have made a solid impact in that area. When those charts come out will Garth be in the top 10 of any of those year end charts? I sincerely doubt he will be in the Top 5-10 of a single one, much less all of them. That to me says an awful lot about why there is so much screaming and yelling about this win. The numbers, with the one exception of his 12 stadium shows, don't support the win.

I'm not anti-Garth. I'm not a troll trying to stir things up. I just simply saying that I totally understand why. There is a legit argument against this win.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I meant to put this in my post above and forgot. When it comes to the CMAs and who I think should win I usually try to play the objective game. I know the acts I personally want to win, but I try to play out who I honestly think is most deserving. One thing I always do is look at the year end Billboard charts, which should be coming in about 2 weeks. The Entertainer of the Year nominees should be people that end up in the top 5-10 of all the different categories and charts that Billboard publishes. In other words, any way you twist it or measure it that person should have made a solid impact in that area. When those charts come out will Garth be in the top 10 of any of those year end charts? I sincerely doubt he will be in the Top 5-10 of a single one, much less all of them. That to me says an awful lot about why there is so much screaming and yelling about this win. The numbers, with the one exception of his 12 stadium shows, don't support the win.

I'm not anti-Garth. I'm not a troll trying to stir things up. I just simply saying that I totally understand why. There is a legit argument against this win.
    Good points!

great points on both posts, Ryan.. I gotta say

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

To me entertainer of the year is 2 things. One it is the guy who is on the road and sells tickets and brings attention to country music and 2 itís the guy who just is on fire that year with singles and buzz.
    Garth did huge shows this year and had a tv special. He also has done the dive bar tour and got a lot of attention for that. I have no problem with him winning the award.

Btw if I am giving it to the hottest artist itís luke combs all day

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post

Btw if I am giving it to the hottest artist it’s luke combs all day
    Haha!!

To be honest with you guys, with all the crap that's been thrown around this past week and even this past year, I'm leaning towards making a life-altering decision that goes against my normal character. For the record, I'm not gonna leave the Garth fandom, but I have reached a point where I'm just tired of being the Hamlet of Country Music.

the Hamlet of Country Music? I gotta ask, explain??

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

To be honest with you guys, with all the crap that's been thrown around this past week and even this past year, I'm leaning towards making a life-altering decision that goes against my normal character. For the record, I'm not gonna leave the Garth fandom, but I have reached a point where I'm just tired of being the Hamlet of Country Music.
    I've read the things you have been brave enough to share with us in the past on here. But, maybe you just need to step back and take a break from it all. Garth is an artist we all love. But we can't let anyone influence us to extreme frustration like that. At least not a celebrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    the Hamlet of Country Music? I gotta ask, explain??
    I think you know why, I'm just tired of being the only one that cares about lyrics over beer commercial jingles, which is why I've been toying with moving to Heavy Metal full time and only keeping my country music to my trinity singers: Brooks, Strait, Yearwood (90's Trinity) and my 2000's Trinity (Jack Ingram, Wade Bowen, Sarah Darling).

I think you know why, I'm just tired of being the only one that cares about lyrics over beer commercial jingles, which is why I've been toying with moving to Heavy Metal full time and only keeping my country music to my trinity singers: Brooks, Strait, Yearwood (90's Trinity) and my 2000's Trinity (Jack Ingram, Wade Bowen, Sarah Darling).
    Gotcha... I was thinking as much at least as far as motives but it was good to hear it voiced. I assume you're thinking more like 'country radio'... I'm not a huge metal fan myself other than KISS and a select few songs by other groups (and some Metallica, etc..). but I hear what you're saying..

I'm still searching for a great reason to dive back in full time with country radio and frankly there hasn't been any.. Garth doesn't get played.. in the last hour on KYGO (local main station) there have been 3 songs played that I'd be interested in listening to and two of those 3 are just because the awards show on Wed and garth having him open for the TN show this week.. I'd say have faith though, things will change.. notice no Aldean, Luke Bryan Tim McGraw (pers. dislike of his music largely) or Chesney.. some others.. not this week at the awards... Hang in there but......

maybe it's like garthcop says- step back and take a break.. you have shared a lot of great stuff here... don't wanna lose that..

btw- if you want a laugh, and some sugar coated positive garth stuff (almost ad nauseam). then hit up some of the Facebook groups on garth (Garth brooks world tour, etc..) man... it is almost humorous sometimes...

had to say it

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post

btw- if you want a laugh, and some sugar coated positive garth stuff (almost ad nauseam). then hit up some of the Facebook groups on garth (Garth brooks world tour, etc..) man... it is almost humorous sometimes...

had to say it
    Yeah I don't think they'd be able to handle my anti-Bro Country mouth, and besides I'd be more happy just hanging with the MetalJesusRocks crew on Discord, they're a more tight-knit musical family as opposed to some country music circles (present company excluded). Hell try this for funny, MJR back in 98 or may have been later, actually saw a Broadway play called Cabaret in NYC. Now I chuckled but I didn't judge him for it, because I wanted to see another Broadway musical that never saw the light of day...Batman and it was originally going to be written by Jim Steinman (Meat Loaf: Bat out of Hell).

+ Reply to Thread