I'm a little surprised there's no thread here discussing the PBS Documentary Country Music (that's the title - simply, Country Music - narrated by someone named Ken Burns). Maybe I missed something here, but there appear to be no new threads under Garth TV.

The documentary went from about the 1920s through 1996, and devoted what seemed to me to be a disproportionate amount of time to Johnny Cash, and June (no disrespect to them, it just stood out to me that they kept going back to them.)

But the last hour or so talked about the 90s - with a fair bit of emphasis on Garth, and his record-breaking.

Memorable things to me:

1) There was literally ONE sentence devoted to Garth and Trisha's personal relationship - saying they married 14 years after first meeting. I might have thought, well, the makers of the doc wanted to be tasteful, non-tabloid-ish, and/or want to make people look good...except that they were pretty frank about the saga of Johnny and June's relationship.

For that matter, not much was said about Garth and Trisha's musical collaborations, besides a mention of their touring together in the early 90s. And I have always felt there are sort of some myths about their professional relationship, too. It is undoubtedly the case that opening for Garth benefited Trisha in terms of exposure, but they met and first worked together when they were both new artists. Garth then had a fast rise, but he wasn't all that far ahead of Trisha, so to speak. It wasn't like he was super-established when she came along.

For that matter, fans have always talked about their chemistry and harmony and their names were kind of associated throughout the 90s, but they hadn't done a duet prior to 1997, and it seems to me I've heard stories elsewhere (not in this documentary) about some of their collaborations, including Shameless, not going real well.

I have also noticed that the different specials about Garth and/or Trisha and the different things they've said over the years have contradicted one another.

2) I'm prone to nostalgia for the musical 90s anyway but there was a lot of emphasis on how big country music was in the 90s...making me wonder the business powers-that-be don't WANT to go back to that era. I totally get that it's a business, but from where I was sitting, it looks like whatever we / they were doing in the 90s was working pretty well from a standpoint of making money.

For me - it's not even that I want the "sound" of the 90s back - I really don't have a problem with blending country and pop and such, and I exercise to music so I understand about upbeat songs being desirable. What I miss about the 90s is 1) songwriters were allowed to use the words it took to tell a story, and so we could understand a story, and 2) female artists could be over 30 and, well, not-perfect-looking, let's say. Some were laughed at (and this included Trisha). But they sold, had hits, and won awards. And as I say, something was going right business-wise.

(I do like some of the concepts that are in the songs of today, that weren't around in the 90s, though.)

3) I remembered from other documentaries that Garth was turned down by seven labels in Nashville. (CLASSIC "if at first you don't succeed" story, that is worth passing on for encouraging people - although I am sure Garth is far from alone among singers in this respect.) But they said the Capitol exec changed his mind when hearing Garth live. The way I previously heard it, the exec asked one of Garth's people, "How did we leave this?" And she was smart enough to simply say, "You said you'd get back to us."

4) This anecdote I had never heard before: the first time Garth had a recording session with Capitol Records, the exec / producer was not happy with what he was doing. Garth explained he was trying to "put a little Strait" into the music. And the exec gave him the "be yourself" lecture. I had never heard that anecdote before...am I the only one surprised (and, let's be honest, disappointed) that Garth ever had to be told that?

The story kind of sounds like multiple TV plots, where the person gets formal etiquette training or prepares a big act to attend a formal event or meet someone big...only to have that person like their natural self better, or to succeed in livening up a "stuffy" event with their natural personality.