+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new way for artists to release their albums

The new way for artists to release their albums

Garth wasnt in this report, but there was a real interesting item on our news, it talked of
    how the different way artists release their albums now.

They had some marketing guy say, artists have to be a bit more quirky if they want
    their albums to be noticed. They said sometimes it can backfire, like with U2 giving
    their album away for free with apple, with the album going directly to users phones
    and how the public didn't like that.

Then it talked of the genius behind Beyonce just dropping an album without any marketing
    and how many artists are now using that method.

They went on to talk about Coldplay announcing their upcoming album, just be taking out
    small ads in the buy/sell/exchange section of newspapers.

The marketing radio expert expects more different ways in the future, that artists will let the
    public know they have a new album.

Yes, Im guessing the replies to this, will be Garth, will do what he wants, and he will.

But lets face it, the way he has promoted fun since early 2018 is probably not on the top
    of the list of ways to promote your album.

I know in the 90s it was simple, release a single go on radio, and announce the release date a
    few months in advance.

But now, it has to be different, and the way Garth has treated his last albums seems so
    amateurish, putting it in a boxset, putting it with another album, exclusive deals with retailers.

Fun though has taken it to a new level, announcing the album and delaying it, people paying 10
    dollars for an album they're thinking theyre getting soon. What a horrible way to promote.

Garth isnt going to change, but crystal ball idea here, if you could give Garth advice on how he should
    do album announcements and how he should promote the album once released, what would you say???

I would say, just drop the album on the public, go on studio G, and say, "Oh my new album's out now"

Have one stand alone version for initial release at all retail, put at least 14 songs on it.

Release a video and single with it on the day of release.

And have some easter eggs on it. Something that is completely different.

My big turn off is pre sales. I hate them. I read a lot and if you check out book sites, they are advertising books that won't be released till late next year. They want you to pre order them. Same with music. I don't mind a couple months at most but six months or more is crazy. I see stuff on music sites telling people what date music is coming out way to far in advance. Movies do the same thing. I am sure some people like knowing and waiting and pre ordering but I guess I am old school. Drop the product with a couple weeks notice. I liked the old days when they would annouce a new album and you went to the store early to get it. But probably a bunch of people didn't want to get up early, or make time to go. I had so much FUN in the 90's standing and waiting outside Tower Records with other Garth fans, waiting for the latest CD to come out. It was a mini event. Somebody would have a radio blaring country music, sometimes the local radio station would show up etc. It was real marketing. I'd like to see Garth go back to the 90's and release his music at a retailer on the day of release without preorders. Just say het on November 1 I'll be dropping my new CD. But everyone is scared Luke Bryan or someone else will also release an album on that same day. Hey cream rises to the top. If you put great music out, it will show itself. I am rambling. I guess I want to be surprised with hearing the music first instead of buying GREtest hits CD with pre released songs a year in advance. It was cool popping on the new CD and hearing Shameless, The River and other songs for the first time. This need for instant gratification by the younger crowd is bs.

I’m in a band and make music so it’s something I think about a lot. I haven’t pressed physical versions of my music yet but I’d like to think that I will sometime, if just to have at the merch table.

I think the biggest thing that should be done is to give people a reason to buy a physical copy. Right now, most people are going to get their music digitally. The people buying physical copies are collectors and fans. I only buy physical if I’m a fan of the artist. Everything else I listen to on Apple Music.

Artists should keep this in mind. They could put the base album out digitally and then make physical packages for the fans and collectors. Give them reasons to buy like bonus songs, demos, artwork, maybe a book or movie about the making of the album, etc. Fans would buy and the extra content would allow it to be sold for a higher price, bringing in more money.

Some artists already do this. Taylor Swift’s newest album has four different deluxe editions being sold. That’s insane to me but whatever. What I’m really saying is that I think digital music and physical music should be differentiated somehow. Right now for the vast majority of artists, you can find the same music digitally as you would physically. But maybe that shouldn’t be true. Maybe someone should try only putting out their singles digitally and releasing the full album physically. Or releasing occasional EPs digitally and then a full album with all the EPs as well as bonus tracks and content physically. If streaming music services evolve to be more of a promotional tool like radio is, more money might flow in.

I could be wrong. I’m definitely not an expert. It’s just something I’ve been thinking about.

I know itís popular to release singles and not an album but imagine Garth without Alabama clay, cold shoulder etc. Some of my favorite Garth songs were not singles.

What you do is release singles and with social media itís easy to promote an album. I do not like the several versions itís a gimmick

I don't like presales either. He does it for numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    I don't like presales either. He does it for numbers.
    I donít mind pre-sales, but wish we could get a release date so itís clear how long weíre going to have to wait for the release.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I know it’s popular to release singles and not an album but imagine Garth without Alabama clay, cold shoulder etc. Some of my favorite Garth songs were not singles.

What you do is release singles and with social media it’s easy to promote an album. I do not like the several versions it’s a gimmick
    It’s not as easy as you think. For the ginormous artists like Garth and Taylor Swift, they’ll get sales, but everyone below that is screwed. Even with social media advertising it’s all down to chance whether you catch on or not because the market is insanely oversaturated. It’s getting cheaper and cheaper to produce music and it’s extremely cheap to advertise on social media. It’s just so hard to stand out at all in the market that it’s going to continue being a game of chance where we have a very small amount of large artists and a vast majority of the rest that can’t support themselves.

Everything in terms of radio hits gets dictated on whether or not you're on Spotify playlists that are made by a bunch of nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by handinhand12 View Post
    It’s not as easy as you think. For the ginormous artists like Garth and Taylor Swift, they’ll get sales, but everyone below that is screwed. Even with social media advertising it’s all down to chance whether you catch on or not because the market is insanely oversaturated. It’s getting cheaper and cheaper to produce music and it’s extremely cheap to advertise on social media. It’s just so hard to stand out at all in the market that it’s going to continue being a game of chance where we have a very small amount of large artists and a vast majority of the rest that can’t support themselves.
    I think that is because we base a hit on how many copies sold. In the olden days you fell in love with an album or an artist. There are many albums in my collection where I just happened to like just that album no matter how many the artist ended up releasing. Now you get a new song every few weeks, you may like 1 or 2 but you don't get an album to see if you like the artists work. Nowadays I forget about an artist if they never release an album or just get bored. Plus some of my favoriye albums by a known artist may not have been a big hit. Like Elton John's The Fox. Great album but I was willing to buy based on his album track record. I agree that the market is way over saturated and with auto tune you don't get pure singers anymore. And if 2 or 3 artists release an album the same day, it can look like a flop. How will Garth do this Friday when Mirabda Lambert releases her new album. Who will be #1. Or the week after when Luke Combs releases his new album. Egos are a funny thing. I am hoping Garth has enough boxed sets sold to take #1. We will see the Friday new numbers come out on the 8th. Personally I don't like Lambert so I hope Garth does very well.

+ Reply to Thread