+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Figures Don't Add Up

Figures Don't Add Up

Hear me out. The Legacy is numbered. It starts at 000001. You can pick any 6 numbers as your number. Doesn't that mean you pick up to 999999? Wouldn't that make it 1 short of a million. So production wise I can't see them stopping the machines to make only certain numbers. It wouldn't be cost effective. So that figure of 500,000 doesn't seem right. And that is just numbered sets. The pre sale has also had unnumbered sets for sale at Amazon, Best Buy, Target etc. So if you add unnumbered sets, how many would that be produced? So I am thinking there is probably at least 1.5 million copies being produced. I think Garth is using this as a big PR moment. When he announces numbers he will say the 500,000 was mistaken and was for unnumbered copies. I think he will announce a couple more Diamond Awards, shipments will include the 25th anniversary edition of The Chase/In Pieces. Plus he hasn't had the catalog certified in many years. He has so many opportunities to gather new music buyers with A & E doc in November, the CMA's and a possible 8th EOY award and maybe vocal duet with Dive Bar, all the talk shows. and Ellen where he will probably give the audience a boxed set. So many opportunities to push Legacy. Since it was ranked on album chart, Anthology might get counted in shipments and maybe he will hit 200 million shipped. I could be wrong but I am hoping I am not. I am just sad he won't probably get to 100 million on Sound Scan. Maybe he is saving that for next year.

I have always admired your enthusiasm, but I just can't see many of these things. I don't think he is "hiding" any box sets and then going to miraculous have 1 million more available. We are told there were 75,000 sold in the original online sales. That means there were 25,000 numbers taken. My guess is they either just sequenced them out after that or let a computer randomize the numbers. Sure, logic dictates there should be 999,999, but remember Garth uses his own logic in doing these things.

I said this another thread, but I don't think there is any way he moves 500,000 vinyl box sets. The top selling US vinyl last year moved like 48,000 copies. Garth has already moved 75,000 (25,000 sets of 3) to his most rabid fans. I can't imagine there are almost half a million people willing to gobble up a vinyl box set. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

You keep mentioning him hitting 200 million. I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I've always been about perspective with this stuff. I've followed the RIAA numbers since I was a kid and considering only 5 acts have even sold 100 million in RIAA units hitting the 200 million mark is an astronomical feat. NO ONE has ever done it including the Beatles. As I've said before if he passes the Beatles or reaches the 200 million mark the Beatles will just recertify their catalog and pass him back. Their catalog is in dire need of recertification.

The other thing is it just feels so lame at this point. He is trying so hard for certifications and the average person doesn't realize it. The people who follow numbers do. Part of me thinks if he does pass the Beatles or hit 200 million by this consistent repackaging campaign it will actually hurt him. If he passes the Beatles don't think there won't be tons of music business folks talking about how he manipulated the numbers to pass them. The higher he goes the more scrutiny this RIAA certification campaign is going to get him in the general public.

Maybe you can have the number 000000?

Why are you so obsessed with his numbers? And Rhd13 is correct. If he does pass the Beatles the Beatles will immediately re-certify their catalog and the industry are going to making sure to discredit it.
    Last edited by wimpy77; 10-20-2019 at 01:02 AM.

I guess its a guy thing. I worked in sports information for years and have been a sports fan for years and am always interested in numbers. I always want to know how a team is doing. I treat Garth the same way. I like to know how he is doing. I think because Garth was a jock growing up, he is into numbers also. It will always be a back and forth game with the Beatles and Garth. He will certify, they will certify and the fans will continue to buy the music. Even if Garth holds the record for one day, he will still have the record and can use that in PR forever. Plus I want him to keep releasing product new and old for as long as he can. I will continue to buy and collect every version and cover of each album also as long as he keeps putting them out. I am sure things will change in the future as old Garth and old Beatles fans pass away and the younger generation takes over. Look at the state of the music industry now and the low numbers of physical product. I mean cars don't come with CD players anymore. But like Michael Jackson and The Eagles keep pushing Thriller and Greatest Hits we will see competition. I think the Eagles are pushing Hotel California (which is ranked #3) to move up on Michael and to help Greatest hits. It is only 7 million behind Thriller. To me it is FUN to check the standings like with football (my packers are in first place) and see how an artist is doing. Maybe he will be criticized again like when he passed Elvis but it sure hasn't hurt his career. In the big picture of life nobody gives a hoot in the long run. That is why I am as you say obsessed with the numbers.

+ Reply to Thread