+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Will Fun be Garth's last studio album

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    it's for stroking Garth's ego, promoting his projects, and the lobbying of softball questions by the majority of fans who apparently haven't been fans for a long time... it's not for the hardcore Garth fan anymore- used to be though... now it's not news it's just another 5-30m on a monday
    When studio G first started it was brilliant, now its kinda gone mainstream as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    But maybe we’ll get another couple of songs from Fun prior to its release on amazon !!

At this point , maybe Fun can be a double album
    That would require another year and a half delay. I'm calling it now that Fun will actually be held back to be eventually included in the inevitable Legacy 2 box next November. It'll be buried in all the hype of reselling all the old songs just like Gunslinger was.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    When studio G first started it was brilliant, now its kinda gone mainstream as they say.
    Eh, Studio G is fine for what it is. It's not the Garth news network, and it's not meant to be groundbreaking every episode. So whatever. He won't mention that he's delaying it yet again because that never sounds good.

But in truth, this delay was probably unavoidable once Legacy took front stage and Trisha decided to drop her album in September. Like I said above... whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Eh, Studio G is fine for what it is. It's not the Garth news network, and it's not meant to be groundbreaking every episode. So whatever. He won't mention that he's delaying it yet again because that never sounds good.

But in truth, this delay was probably unavoidable once Legacy took front stage and Trisha decided to drop her album in September. Like I said above... whatever.
    I guess thats a good point, its okay for what it is. Maybe it's had its run, or they might slightly change it up next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    But maybe we’ll get another couple of songs from Fun prior to its release on amazon !!

At this point , maybe Fun can be a double album
    that would be great.

It said in the billboard article, some retailers have in their deal that they can do returns.

Lets say, no retailer does a return, how much does Garth get added to his RIAA total.

First off, thats a great article!!!! Thanks for posting it!!!

Okay then if my math is right (Wheres sheldon cooper when you need him)

They have made 500K and sold 15%, which means they have sold 33 thousand copies of the legacy. There is 85% to sell.

I cant see him selling 467K more copies. I think he may sell another 30K, Which means 60K added to soundscan, and a sh*tload to
    his riaa numbers.
    15% of 500,000 is 75,000

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    15% of 500,000 is 75,000
    As you can see math is not my strong suit.

It said in the billboard article, some retailers have in their deal that they can do returns.

Lets say, no retailer does a return, how much does Garth get added to his RIAA total.
    That depends on whether there are 500,000 total boxes between the three sets (meaning there are 166,666 of each one), or whether there are 500,000 of each set (meaning there are actually 1.5 million boxes).

If there are 500,000 TOTAL boxes, then with 14 discs in each box, that'd be 7 million units shipped.

If there are 1.5 million boxes, then with 14 discs in each box, that'd be 21 million units shipped.

Guess that makes it obvious to see why he's focusing on Legacy instead of Fun, since a very generous first shipping of Fun would probably only be 1 million copies at best.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 10-18-2019 at 07:56 PM.

That depends on whether there are 500,000 total boxes between the three sets (meaning there are 166,666 of each one), or whether there are 500,000 of each set (meaning there are actually 1.5 million boxes).

If there are 500,000 TOTAL boxes, then with 14 discs in each box, that'd be 7 million units shipped.

If there are 1.5 million boxes, then with 14 discs in each box, that'd be 21 million units shipped.

Guess that makes it obvious to see why he's focusing on Legacy instead of Fun, since a very generous first shipping of Fun would probably only be 1 million copies at best.
    I kinda think 166K of each. So he will get 7 Million added to his total! It will be interesting to see they actual (soundscan) first week sales.

In terms of Fun, would he ship 1 million these days. Maybe an initial shipment of 500K.

In terms of Fun, would he ship 1 million these days. Maybe an initial shipment of 500K.
    500k is much more likely, I would agree

WTF!!!!
    This is why Garth gets so much hate on this board
    This is why most the comments are negative
    Garth keeps doing things like this and does not see he is running off his real fans.
    He screwed over Ireland
    He screws over his overseas fans
    Letís face it garth has thrown in the towel, he has millions and no desire to be the best again. He is at a point where he is consumed by numbers and padding his ego and legacy. He says itís because he does not want to over shadow the new album but has no problem putting out gunslinger boxed with his crappy Christmas album.

Great job Garth since you came back you have been like that drunk uncle that keeps disappointing us but your family so we are stuck.

I don't understand all of the hate for Legacy. I think it's going to be AWESOME!!! I've been dreaming of a set like this for YEARS. I hope the rest of the albums get the vinyl treatment !

Heck if he is gun shy with releasing the complete album of new stuff, I get it. If I were working with Garth I'd try to get him to release the album digitally to those that pre-ordered it. ...and then maybe early next year as the article states ,put it out in a physical form (hopefully vinyl and cd) if he's concerned about it hurting Legacy.
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

One thing for certain, if 100% of us didnt know already, after reading that article and all that is involved with releasing this thing,
    and other Garth products, the people he hired to be the go between with retail and himself, Garth is extremely on to it, knows every
    step of the business side of his career, and all of the stuff he says on Studio G, where he acts confuse, or acts like he might of let
    something slip, is all an act, I guess its part of it though.

One thing for certain, if 100% of us didnt know already, after reading that article and all that is involved with releasing this thing,
    and other Garth products, the people he hired to be the go between with retail and himself, Garth is extremely on to it, knows every
    step of the business side of his career, and all of the stuff he says on Studio G, where he acts confuse, or acts like he might of let
    something slip, is all an act, I guess its part of it though.

Absolutely spot on.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    the more I think about it, I gotta agree.. I don't think Garth can possibly be that clueless, in much the same way I don't buy his 'cell phone drop in water' excuse (or whatever the excuse was) when it came to songs for gunslinger... He's too much of a perfectionist/control person
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

As mentioned above I think there are clearly 500,000 total boxes and of that 75,000 of them have already sold. That means there will be 425,000 boxes out there at retail.

I don't know about everyone else, but that seems like an astronomical amount of vinyl. Meaning I don't think there is any way that he sells 425,000 vinyl box sets out of retail. Sure, they are technically already sold because retail has bought them, but I think we will see deep discounts at the beginning of the year just like we did for The Ultimate Collection from Target.

I looked it up and the top selling vinyl album for 2018 was Guardians of the Galaxy. You know how many copies that sold? 47,155 copies. Not even 50,000. Garth has already sold 75,000 (times 3) with his savvy marketing to all us ravenous hardcore people. Now the box goes to retail and that is where I think it gets tricky. With the top vinyl selling less than 50,000 last year all I can say is good luck moving 425,000 vinyl box sets.

Sure, we will hear all the press releases stories about how many copies this thing has sold, but those stories will be based on the sale to retail not the sale from retail to consumer. I'm telling you if you haven't bought this set and want it just hang out till early next year. They will be giving them away to get them off the shelves. Too much product for vinyl.

Sorry, somehow that posted twice so I deleted second one.

So we know for sure from the Billboard article there are 500,000 boxes and they have all sold to retail. That means he will get 7 million in RIAA certification. He can certify one of two ways. He can get a 7 times platinum certification for the entire set or he can get each individual album a certification (half a million for each vinyl and half a million for each CD/disc). Based on his desire to get Diamonds I think it is clear he goes with the latter. That means we get a one million bump for No Fences, The Chase, In Pieces and Fresh Horses. Triple Live gets a 3 million boost.

I could be totally wrong, but Garth isn't the type to hold back getting albums certified so I suspect that when he recertifies these records that is all we get. However, it is always possible he had some leftover units is his back pocket and waits to drop them all at the same time. I guess we will see.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    As mentioned above I think there are clearly 500,000 total boxes and of that 75,000 of them have already sold. That means there will be 425,000 boxes out there at retail.

I don't know about everyone else, but that seems like an astronomical amount of vinyl. Meaning I don't think there is any way that he sells 425,000 vinyl box sets out of retail. Sure, they are technically already sold because retail has bought them, but I think we will see deep discounts at the beginning of the year just like we did for The Ultimate Collection from Target.

I looked it up and the top selling vinyl album for 2018 was Guardians of the Galaxy. You know how many copies that sold? 47,155 copies. Not even 50,000. Garth has already sold 75,000 (times 3) with his savvy marketing to all us ravenous hardcore people. Now the box goes to retail and that is where I think it gets tricky. With the top vinyl selling less than 50,000 last year all I can say is good luck moving 425,000 vinyl box sets.

Sure, we will hear all the press releases stories about how many copies this thing has sold, but those stories will be based on the sale to retail not the sale from retail to consumer. I'm telling you if you haven't bought this set and want it just hang out till early next year. They will be giving them away to get them off the shelves. Too much product for vinyl.
    This push into vinyl in what is still a niche/dead format....... IMO.. a mistake to put THIS much of a push into it...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    This push into vinyl in what is still a niche/dead format....... IMO.. a mistake to put THIS much of a push into it...
    Agreed. I think there are going to be thousands of these boxes sitting on shelves after Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Agreed. I think there are going to be thousands of these boxes sitting on shelves after Christmas.
    But in a way I think that’s okay since presumably the goal doesn’t have to be to sell all 500k this year, but perhaps over the next 5 years. With vinyl, since production plants are expensive and limited in their capacities, artists will often do a large print run up front so that product can stay on shelves for years to come without having to do another print. Metallica, Zeppelin, and I presume others have done it that way with their recent anniversary reissues.

I will wait for it to get a huge price reduction to buy.

I donít understand why he put so much into this? He did not push MAM or gunslinger this hard.

Pump out another lost sessions for the fans and we would be hapy

No matter what. We always have something to look forward to!

But in a way I think that’s okay since presumably the goal doesn’t have to be to sell all 500k this year, but perhaps over the next 5 years. With vinyl, since production plants are expensive and limited in their capacities, artists will often do a large print run up front so that product can stay on shelves for years to come without having to do another print. Metallica, Zeppelin, and I presume others have done it that way with their recent anniversary reissues.
    I didn’t think about that. You are probably correct in that assessment. At the same time I know the big Metallica box sets are limited to 125,000 copies. I still think he way overshot this at half a million.

“Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...h-riaa-880959/

Interesting...
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 10-20-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I will wait for it to get a huge price reduction to buy.

I donít understand why he put so much into this? He did not push MAM or gunslinger this hard.

Pump out another lost sessions for the fans and we would be hapy
    He definitely pushed gunslinger on studio g ... just like heís done legacy .
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

“Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...h-riaa-880959/

Interesting...
    Isnt that by revenue though?

In terms of units sold it's

8.6 Million units of Vinyl sold compared to 18.6 Millions units of cd sold. Midyear report.

They're expensive and hard to make and not very many people buy them nowadays with the prevalence streaming, by-the-song purchases, playlists, etc.

Several artists have stated (I believe Keith Urban is one, but don't quote me on it) that they may shift to a single-only approach where they release a new single to radio every 6 months or so, but with no intention to ever put those singles on an album.

Artists just don't make money off albums anymore. The real money is in touring. So if an artist can come up with 1, 2, or 3 songs a year to keep setlists fresh, that's much easier and more profitable than busting your hump for a 1 to 1.5 years to come up with an album's worth of songs only to have most people not buy it.
    And it's my impression that Garth still makes money touring...his ticket sales still seem to be setting records. I'm reminded of that Sunset Boulevard quote, where the star who "used to be big in pictures" says she's still big, and the pictures got small.

+ Reply to Thread