+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How did you start?

How did you start?

I was chatting with a friend about my unusual hobby of collecting Garth music. He said what do you need with 8 million copies of the same CD? I said it was like when I was collecting football cards or someone collecting stamps. It was my hobby. He asked why I chose Garth CDs. I told him I was enamored with Garth. I had a friend from Minnesota that was a Garth fan. He came to visit me and try all the Southern California roller coasters. We were killing time at the shore and went to a used record store. I found a radio copy of the Thunder Rolls. I was addicted after that, Since then I have been getting radio copies, different covers etc. How or why do Garth fans collect what they collect of Garth's?

In the USA, the best country in the world
    good post... I'll have to to think some, as my collecting didn't start at QUITE the same level as my fandom, but ballooned shortly thereafter
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I remember going into a record store in New Zealand in 1993, and seeing an In pieces poster up, I ask the store assistant if they had any for sale. She just grunted at me, "They're promo posters not for sale"

About a week later I was in the same store, a different store assistant, so I went up to them and asked them the same question, he said "hang on" went back to the back room and came back with three huge posters
    of In Pieces!!!!

So I was a poster person for a while.

I always regret not buying a tee shirt I saw in a shop window of a dog in a cowboy hat with the words "Garth Barks" that wouldve been a cool thing to collect.

Good question.

Mine is kind of a long story, but I'll try to make it short. I grew up with music in my blood. I have had a couple of distant relatives that ended up being very successful in the music business. Unfortunately, I didn't get any of their talent just the love of music.

Ever since I was a little kid my mom took me to concerts. I was constantly surrounded by music. I remember my grandparents loving Haggard, Jones and Conway Twitty. My mom loved the stuff that was current at the time like Alabama and Eddie Rabbitt. My first recollection of Garth was actually the "If Tomorrow Never Comes" cassette single, which I still have. My mom loved that song and had bought the single.

Even though I grew up loving country around that same time I started getting into my own music, like most kids do. I liked some pop, but what really grabbed my attention was the hard rock of the late 80s/early 90s. I loved bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Cinderella, Aerosmith, Van Halen and Metallica. I got all into that stuff and although country had been my childhood it became secondary once I found hard rock. That was until the grunge movement. Grunge killed off all my favorite bands at the time and I just couldn't get into all the flannel and depressing music. (I do enjoy some grunge now but hated it then.) When grunge happened I sort of reverted back to my love of country. That is when I really got into Garth in the very early 90s. I was aware of him back when the first album came out, but really became a fan in the Ropin' The Wind time frame. So for 2-3 years I was aware of him, but really became a huge fan with that release.

Since I am what I'd call a "completist" that is where my collecting started. I'm one of those people, prior to streaming, where I would have to find every officially released song an artist had ever recorded, and sometimes the "non-official" ones too. I'd buy a soundtrack or single for a random B-side or track. To me it was about having all the music, not necessarily all the different covers. However, if there was a single remix of a song I'd hunt that down too. All of that got applied to Garth.

With Garth it is still mostly about having all the music, but every now and then I enjoy some of the different covers/versions of albums. I have all the Double Lives and will get all the Triple Lives (assuming I don't have to buy more vinyl boxes to try and get the various covers). I will usually get a First Edition of everything and one copy of every official release.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Hmm——

This will probably not be the most complete history of my Garth fandom, but its a start…

For me, it all started with a trip to Durango, Colorado for my college orientation. I was with a few other people in a car driving downtown, and heard Garth’s first album on the car’s cassette player. Not knowing who it was, I asked someone, as honestly it didn’t sound that bad to me. I’d hated country music growing up. My dad listened to country after he came back from a short military assignment in Korea and honestly, I couldn’t stand it.. This was different- this music ‘wasn’t bad’…

Fast forward to later that summer and I was at my church youth director’s house for some reason (probably counseling over a love interest but that’s another story).. He had ‘No Fences’ on CD, and I borrowed it. Needless to say I was hooked from the first time I head “unanswered Prayers”…. It TOTALLY spoke to my situation…. (The line “Each night I’d spend praying that God would make her mine…”. Really spoke to me).. Between that and FILP and The Thunder Rolls, I was hooked.. I bought my own copy of No Fences before leaving for college…

That fall I bought Ropin the Wind on release day.. (I have bought every single album on release day or before since that release w/ the exception of the original GB album (bought on thanksgiving of that year) and ‘The Hits’.. that one actually caught me by surprise I have no idea why).. I about wore that out over the fall, and picked up an interest in other artists as well. I started country dancing, kept learning about Garth (I ended up being called a ‘garth encyclopedia’ my sophomore year) and kept listening to his music. That spring…. ‘This is Garth Brooks’ aired on NBC…. I borrowed a tape of it.. copied the tape and that started my collecting craze..

Then came an ad/submission to ‘country music’ magazine……. That led to starting to collect garth shows, and posters, etc. I still have a mint condition promo poster for no fences that I would LOVE to have signed by Garth. I obtained the jukebox .45 of the live versions of FILP and TTR, (made our country dances at college fun when I could play my recordings there!)….

Graduated college, and as Garth kept releasing stuff I kept purchasing. The ONLY things I have Garth wise that have been purchased by someone else honestly were the first VHS video collection, and the sheet music books for his first 3 albums. (All were presents). I kept corresponding with people in ‘country music’ magazine, as well as on AOL’s country music newsgroups (it’s where I first met some people who p***ed me off and who I probably p***ed off too. However, that’s what enabled me to grow my collection of garth audio and video. I began voraciously recording everything I could when Garth was on…. I remember getting multiple different versions of the hungry years and finally found ‘all the songs’ on the set, leading to what I have now.

I’m in a (never ending process it seems as life is busy..) conversion process of taking all my tapes and CD’s and digitizing and organizing them. Eventually I would like to show what’ in my collection be it the A/V material (my focus) or the posters, apparel, you name it. Garth fandom has never wavered for me, though about the time of the release of double live I realized I don’t have to re buy and re buy and re buy the same stuff multiple times over just for a cover and new photos (God bless the internet and people who collect and share…. Made things easier..).

The Retirement debacle didn’t damage my fandom, but it shifted it to being more open to Garth’s failings…. (Some would say I became too critical……. ). That shifted my collecting a bit- I’ll still grab anything Garth releases but I’m ‘aware of the game’ as it were..

That being said- BRING ON FUN!! BRING ON THE VINYL (even if I never open it!) Bring on anything that falls under the banner of NEW GARTH MUSIC….

Lol anyone have audio or video of complete shows on the stadium tour? I have ND (from CBS), audio from Denver, the dive bar stop that was recorded…. Oh well…. There’s stuff there somewhere)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread