+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pushing Legacy

Pushing Legacy

I notice on Amazon and other sites that they are pushing the individual box sets not just the 3 boxed set. I think he is going for the numbers in both RIAA and Nielsen Soundscan. Plus he is working on the Diamond awards. That is cool for those of us who need a couple for friends at holiday time or just want an extra rareties set. And the prices aren't bad. I wonder, also, has he sold a bunch of numbered sets and needs to work on unnumbered sets. Time is getting closer to actual shipping day and someone posted that we may get the set shipped in October. I wish he would just annouce everything. But this begs to question, will their be a bundle with unnumbered box sets and FUN? Does this mean the set is successful enough for a Legacy 2? And what will be the albums in Legacy 2? Will he release FUN around the time of CMA's since he could be in the running for Entertainer of Year, Male vocalist and event with the duo for Dive Bar? It would be a fantastic marketing thing if he made it to EOY nominee. I know he would also love to be male vocalist but adding another EOY would be surreal. The marketing would be everywhere he sells his music. Get the new album by EOY Garth Brooks, get Garth's Legacy collection and see his career spanning music and also see how Garth earned his EOY with Triple Live. And if he did get Male vocalist and Trisha got Female vovalist (she is on the short list like Garth) that could see a bundle of the two vocalists for CMA. I know I am dreaming but it would be fun. Maybe they will release all his cds to capitalize on this. So many marketing possibilities. But getting back, I wonder if Legacy boxed sets will get any lower for the individual sets. One day closer.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the fact that he has pushed Legacy so hard is fascinating to me. Prior to it becoming his focus we had Triple Live, three more Anthology sets, and Fun all as projects that were getting focus and on their way. All of those projects came to a halt to get this Legacy set out there. Triple Live (the stand alone version with what should be all the tracks) got pushed back a year, Fun has gotten pushed back several months and the Anthology sets aren't even being talked about any more. All the focus seemingly went to this vinyl set.

That brings up the question as to why? The only two things that I can think of is he saw a chance to capitalize on a hot vinyl market (which ironically has been happening for the last few years now) and he saw a chance to try and pad some RIAA numbers quickly. Obviously, there could be other things behind the scenes we don't know about.

I'm just kind of amazed that everything else got pushed back to get this out. It's disappointing to me personally because I'm much more interested in the Anthology sets, the new album and a full Triple Live (probably in that order of interest). I feel like his new album is definitely going to get lost in the shuffle and I even wonder what the status of the Anthology sets, especially the DVD documentary that was supposed to happen, are at this point.

I agree. I am happy with the set even though I haven't got it yet. But I wish he would just clean the slate, get everything he has said would come out, get it out. As I always say, I am a collector and like to add to my collection. I also love Garth's music and concerts. But if he wants to pad numbers, a concert bundle of his latest album or a special concert disc or even Triple Live would be a great way to get new fans and old fans to try his music. I know he doesn't like to what others are doing but...Makes me wonder if he is already working on Legacy 2. He could actually do the rest of his album catalog and then do the discontinued stuff in vinyl. It would be cool to have all is albums in vinyl. Expensive but cool.
    I hope once he hits his RIAA goals and Nielsen Soundscan goals, then he will be more relaxed with when music comes out. If he falls behind and I am sure he will with the Beatles catalog, he can start again. Which I am curious about the Beatles catalog. Does the Michael Jackson estate still own the Beatles catalog? I could see the Beatle survivors (Paul and Ringo) wanting to sell their music instead of Beatle music if they didn't own the rights. They make more money that way. Who knows.
    And why doesn't Garth do like Pearl Jam, Barenaked Ladies and Tori Amos and other artists and release every concert on some sore of record or DVD. People like buying a show they were at or just love the live shows. I know I bought several of each of the 3 artists I mentioned cds of various concerts including ones I went to. I guess with no real record stores it would be hard but he could do it through Amazon and his web site.
    But we are getting closer to Legacy 1. I hope he gets the numbers he wants so we can get more Legacy and more new music.

Michael Jackson never owned the Beatles mastertapes, just the publishing. EMI and Apple records own the masters and it's said the Beatles get the highest royalty rate compared to other artists.

That being said the Beatles are putting out deluxe anniversary editions of all their albums so it'll be hard for Garth to catch up
    Last edited by CER956; 08-14-2019 at 12:58 PM.

I think it's just a simple fact that Garth REALLY cares about RIAA numbers. THAT's the real reason why he's not on iTunes or YouTube. It may have something to do with songwriters, but not much. For Garth, it's about RIAA and control. Anything that threatens either one of those gets shunned.

And along with that, I think he feels his old stuff will always be more "marketable" than his new stuff. So that's what he focuses on. Re-sell the old stuff in as many different packages as possible. First digital, then retailer-exclusive boxed sets, then books, now vinyl. Next? Probably a new greatest hits package next year or the year after. Probably 2-disc deluxe versions of the first 7 albums will get re-released at some point as well.

Sure he'll record a new album here and there, and with each one he'll devise some way to ensure it goes platinum, but at the end of the day, I don't think that's where his real focus is ever going to be again. I hate it, but I think that's where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I think it's just a simple fact that Garth REALLY cares about RIAA numbers. THAT's the real reason why he's not on iTunes or YouTube. It may have something to do with songwriters, but not much. For Garth, it's about RIAA and control. Anything that threatens either one of those gets shunned.

And along with that, I think he feels his old stuff will always be more "marketable" than his new stuff. So that's what he focuses on. Re-sell the old stuff in as many different packages as possible. First digital, then retailer-exclusive boxed sets, then books, now vinyl. Next? Probably a new greatest hits package next year or the year after. Probably 2-disc deluxe versions of the first 7 albums will get re-released at some point as well.

Sure he'll record a new album here and there, and with each one he'll devise some way to ensure it goes platinum, but at the end of the day, I don't think that's where his real focus is ever going to be again. I hate it, but I think that's where we are.
    Sounds about right but it's kinda pathetic IMO. Granted the fans win because he saturates the market with product that we have the right to buy or pass on but it's just so desperate at this point.

That being said, wake me up when he puts out expanded versions of the studio albums but knowing how chintzy Garth is with bonus tracks, I'm not too hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    Sounds about right but it's kinda pathetic IMO. Granted the fans win because he saturates the market with product that we have the right to buy or pass on but it's just so desperate at this point.

That being said, wake me up when he puts out expanded versions of the studio albums but knowing how chintzy Garth is with bonus tracks, I'm not too hopeful.
    Garth has so many songs that he has never released, I think I read around 1998 that he had recorded 1500 songs, he has over 200 hours of concert footage from the early 90's that he has never been released.

Its about time he opens up the vault. Imagine a DVD set of "The complete 94 world tour"

Imagine a 10 disc CD package of unreleased music, now that is something I would get excited about.

I think the album "Fun" will be trampled on by "Legacy" and the same goes for Triple Live.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post

I was thinking about this yesterday. I actually remember one of the old Believer magazines having an update of where Garth stood in the RIAA numbers. I think it has always been extremely important.

Here is the thing, it's not that numbers are bad. I have followed the RIAA numbers since I was a teen in the 90s. I'm a huge baseball fan and everyone who loves baseball loves statistics and players chasing milestones or records. However, there is an attitude in baseball (and least in my perception) that there should be some sort of natural achievement of those numbers. The numbers are a measure of how good someone is, not something the player should spend their career chasing. This is one of the reasons why the steroid era is looked so down upon. Yes, all those guys from the steroid era actually hit all those home runs, but it was done by cheating so most people don't care about the home run numbers anymore.

Another example is one of my favorite players, Jose Reyes, led the league in batting average. On the final day of the season he did not play for fear that if he had a bad day his average might go down and the guy behind him might catch him. That was viewed by a lot of fans as a really cheap way to become the batting champion, and rightfully so.

I kind of feel that way about these numbers. Garth is playing within the rules, but it feels the numbers have become the goal not just a measure of his success. The chase of them feels cheap, kind of like Jose Reyes choosing to sit to become the batting champion or guys taking steroids to hit home runs.

If you know anything about baseball, you will understand this story. The year that Ted Williams batted .400 he went into the final day of the season and the Red Sox wanted him to sit. (His average was actually .3995 which technically would be rounded to .400). Williams chose to play both games of the double header and went 6 for 7 jumping his average to .406 and cemented his legacy with his boldness. His quote was "If I'm going to be a .400 hitter I want more than my toenails on the line."

Garth may pass the Beatles or hit 200 million, but if it is achieved by constant box sets and manipulating how many discs are shipped (even though it is within the rules) it is going to feel to some that he did it with his toenails on the line.
    Last edited by rhd13; 08-15-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Garth has so many songs that he has never released, I think I read around 1998 that he had recorded 1500 songs, he has over 200 hours of concert footage from the early 90's that he has never been released.

Its about time he opens up the vault. Imagine a DVD set of "The complete 94 world tour"

Imagine a 10 disc CD package of unreleased music, now that is something I would get excited about.

I think the album "Fun" will be trampled on by "Legacy" and the same goes for Triple Live.
    You and I both would love to see and hear some of this stuff, but unless there is a drastic philosophy change this will NEVER happen.

One other thought on the numbers. I said this in another thread too, but if/when Garth passes the Beatles I think the numbers will be scrutinized by a lot more people. We all know it will be a huge headline, especially in the music world, and I am fully convinced there will be articles about how he has achieved this number that talk about the RIAA rules, the box sets since he has come back, etc. There is no way that Billboard and places like that don't delve into the numbers.

I also think the Beatles will go, hold on...wait just a minute, and drop an enormous recertification campaign at that point as well. If he passes them I just don't think it is going to be met with universal acclaim and people now proclaiming Garth as greater than the Beatles. It is going to introduce scrutiny of those numbers. I think passing The Beatles could be negative, not positive, because of how much scrutiny it could potentially bring by people who watch the numbers. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by rhd13; 08-15-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I was thinking about this yesterday. I actually remember one of the old Believer magazines having an update of where Garth stood in the RIAA numbers. I think it has always been extremely important.

Here is the thing, it's not that numbers are bad. I have followed the RIAA numbers since I was a teen in the 90s. I'm a huge baseball fan and everyone who loves baseball loves statistics and players chasing milestones or records. However, there is an attitude in baseball (and least in my perception) that there should be some sort of natural achievement of those numbers. The numbers are a measure of how good someone is, not something the player should spend their career chasing. This is one of the reasons why the steroid era is looked so down upon. Yes, all those guys from the steroid era actually hit all those home runs, but it was done by cheating so most people don't care about the home run numbers anymore.

Another example is one of my favorite players, Jose Reyes, led the league in batting average. On the final day of the season he did not play for fear that if he had a bad day his average might go down and the guy behind him might catch him. That was viewed by a lot of fans as a really cheap way to become the batting champion, and rightfully so.

I kind of feel that way about these numbers. Garth is playing within the rules, but it feels the numbers have become the goal not just a measure of his success. The chase of them feels cheap, kind of like Jose Reyes choosing to sit to become the batting champion or guys taking steroids to hit home runs.

If you know anything about baseball, you will understand this story. The year that Ted Williams batted .400 he went into the final day of the season and the Red Sox wanted him to sit. (His average was actually .3995 which technically would be rounded to .400). Williams chose to play both games of the double header and went 6 for 7 jumping his average to .406 and cemented his legacy with his boldness. His quote was "If I'm going to be a .400 hitter I want more than my toenails on the line."

Garth may pass the Beatles or hit 200 million, but if it is achieved by constant box sets and manipulating how many discs are shipped (even though it is within the rules) it is going to feel to some that he did it with his toenails on the line.

Wow that was so interesting, reminded me of a cricket player for NewZealand, who was about to retire, he was averaging 39.6 runs a game, In cricket if your a batsman and end up with a average of 40, you are considered one
    of the greats, he went into the last match, knowing he need 50 runs to make his career average 40. The situation in the game was we needed quick runs, but he decided he just wanted his average of 40, so he got it, but blew
    the game

Your post makes so much sense, Garth's playing within the rules, but its a cheap way of trying to get the numbers.

It can be a negative but they say any publicity is good publicity. I worked in PR for a while and we didn't like negative news but that is why they spin it. You turn it into positive. Sure some people will remember parts of the negative but in long run, the memories forget. Like when Garth said he had lots of money his grandchildren couldn't spend it or something like that. I don't think it ended up hurting him. The Beatles are still the top band of all time. As long as they are still selling I don't think they care. RIAA numbers aren't the same anymore. I think they are basically an ego thing anymore. Plus with SEA and TEA the stuff is watered down anyway. You can have the same song played/streamed/downloaded a certain amount of times and you get a record sale. I will celebrate Garth for reaching his goals. Remember we have a nation of 325 million people and only an average of 10 million have a Garth record. No Fences has 17 million sold but that still leaves at least 308 million without a copy. Let Garth repackage and sell his old stuff as many times as he wants. Let him release new music whenever he wants. I think if people would support his new stuff instead of complaining, he might just release more. If FUN does blockbuster sales when released, maybe Garth will see that people will support his new stuff.

I believe Garth will reach his goal with Legacy. I believe the albums that arent diamond will go Diamond thanks to Legacy. I beleive he will hit 200 Million in RIAA numbers
    and overtake the Beatles.

What will be his motivation after this though? We know he loves numbers, once hes got this goal, what does he do next??

We know what the next few parts of the anthology are going to be, book based, with Cd's already released thrown in.

A boxset of the diamond albums??

He wouldve already released triple live.

Where too from here for Garth????

We know he can continue to sell out stadiums, arenas, and dive bars.

What does he want to do next??????

I believe Garth will reach his goal with Legacy. I believe the albums that arent diamond will go Diamond thanks to Legacy. I beleive he will hit 200 Million in RIAA numbers
    and overtake the Beatles.
    Garth May pass the Beatles and hit 200 million but it ainít happening with this Legacy boxset unless he has an enormous amount of potential certifications he is sitting on.

Think about it, IF (and thatís a HUGE if) he sells 3 million boxes that will add 42 million to his RIAA count (14 discs in each box) leaving him short of 200 million. The article I saw said he sold 1 million vinyls in pre-orders. That is a little more than 142,000 boxes. That is an astronomical amount of vinyl but nowhere near 3 million boxes. I seriously doubt he moves even 1 million boxes. First it is vinyl. Second, the boxes are not cheap.

I donít think there is anyway he catches the Beatles with this box much less 200 million.

Garth May pass the Beatles and hit 200 million but it ain’t happening with this Legacy boxset unless he has an enormous amount of potential certifications he is sitting on.

Think about it, IF (and that’s a HUGE if) he sells 3 million boxes that will add 42 million to his RIAA count (14 discs in each box) leaving him short of 200 million. The article I saw said he sold 1 million vinyls in pre-orders. That is a little more than 142,000 boxes. That is an astronomical amount of vinyl but nowhere near 3 million boxes. I seriously doubt he moves even 1 million boxes. First it is vinyl. Second, the boxes are not cheap.

I don’t think there is anyway he catches the Beatles with this box much less 200 million.
    I think hes done the numbers and knows how to work the system. I think hes got a date set to announce each achievement.

Thing is, whats his motivation? I actually think he will retire again within the next year. For Garth that's his legacy. I dont sees
    him still doing whats hes doing for the next five years, I know the staidum tour was suppose to three years I think its two.

Come december 2020, he hangs up his hat, because he will have no other significant historical number to chase.

I think hes done the numbers and knows how to work the system. I think hes got a date set to announce each achievement.
    There is no doubt that he has ran the numbers and knows what he's got to do. I said this in another thread though, and that is we have to keep this in perspective. He's got to move 52 million units to hit 200 million. U2 has 52 million certified album units in the US! He can run the numbers and try to manipulate it as much as he wants, but he still has to move 52 million units. Somebody, even if it is Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon or whomever has to actually buy that many units. I'm just saying it ain't as easy as just wanting to pass the Beatles or move 200 million units. Only 23 artists have moved 50 million units in RIAA history! I just think perspective is important here. Not saying he can't do it, but it's not that easy.

There is no doubt that he has ran the numbers and knows what he's got to do. I said this in another thread though, and that is we have to keep this in perspective. He's got to move 52 million units to hit 200 million. U2 has 52 million certified album units in the US! He can run the numbers and try to manipulate it as much as he wants, but he still has to move 52 million units. Somebody, even if it is Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon or whomever has to actually buy that many units. I'm just saying it ain't as easy as just wanting to pass the Beatles or move 200 million units. Only 23 artists have moved 50 million units in RIAA history! I just think perspective is important here. Not saying he can't do it, but it's not that easy.
    Yes but this is unique he could say to a retailer you have to buy the three different packages and so many. 42 units is a huge purchase.

There are 14 discs in each box, All he has to do is go to different retailers (get them to buy X amount of the Three boxes, so 42 Units) and he's done it. 100K per retailer.

Or 20 different retailers at 50K per retailer (I should be on shark tank :-) ) hes done it. My maths is probably horrible though.

But with this type of boxset, 14 discs in three different packages, 42 discs in all, he could do it, by going with several different retailers.

I think that's his goal, I think hes worked out the numbers. Come December he will hit 200 Million at RIAA.

Remember he doesnt have to sell, he just has to ship.

So if he manages to ship 333K per package (3 pacakges) thru various retailers he gets his 42 million that will take him to 190 Million.

Im sure he will manage to get the other 10 Mil units from somewhere.

There must be at least ten major retailers that will buy this thing.

I remember the 1998 Limited series took him from 68 Million to 80 Million in one jump.

I actually think he will retire again within the next year. For Garth that's his legacy. I dont sees
    him still doing whats hes doing for the next five years, I know the staidum tour was suppose to three years I think its two.
    Interesting thought, although I'd have to disagree. He may chase #'s, but he also loves performing and the connection with the fans. I don't see him walking away from that. Now that the girls are grown up, he seems the happiest he's ever been being back out there again. He's also said more than once that his retirement days are behind him now, so I don't think he's going anywhere. The number of arena shows had to be incredibly draining though. Are stadiums the right balance? That remains to be seen, but I definitely think he'll keep touring in some capacity.
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Garthfan92 View Post
    Interesting thought, although I'd have to disagree. He may chase #'s, but he also loves performing and the connection with the fans. I don't see him walking away from that. Now that the girls are grown up, he seems the happiest he's ever been being back out there again. He's also said more than once that his retirement days are behind him now, so I don't think he's going anywhere. The number of arena shows had to be incredibly draining though. Are stadiums the right balance? That remains to be seen, but I definitely think he'll keep touring in some capacity.
    You know thats good points, but I can see him saying something like "Im going to fully support Trisha now in her career" Hes not going to do another arena tour, thats for sure, if he does
    say 10 stadiums next year and a few bars, that might do it for him.

Yeah he did say three years, so if hes under contract, that will take him to 60 years old. He might want to stop.

He will end up close to 200 million but it will not be with Legacy. The way I see it is he has lots of music not certified yet. Unless it isn't counted, he potentially has the Ghost Tunes bundle no matter how small the sales were. That was several discs. Christmas Together has shipped over a million and will probably be around this Christmas so they shipped a bunch plus with Garth and Trisha both promoting music it is a great opportunity. Legacy is already advertising and putting individual boxed sets on sale instead of the 3 package set.He hasn't certified most of his albums since 2006, who's to know how many of TUH were pressed before he supposedly shut down the printing. Then you have the 25th anniversary of TC/IP, then FUN and Triple Live. I think he has played the numbers and if he is close he will ship more catalog cds out. He also has a chance to bundle sets for the holiday season coming up with FUN and Triple Live, FUN and Christmas Together, FUN and Christmas Together. People buy what they see is a deal and something for someone they think may want it.I also think he wants Diamond Awards. A great advertising ploy for those albums and his catalog as a whole. His bar tour/stadium tour is going to get people wanting certain songs off certain albums, (mainly greatest hits packages). He also has the Amazon stuff. I think he knows the numbers are there. He may not keep the title for long but...I think the other goal is first to 100 million in actual sales. The Nielsen Soundscan numbers will be big if he sold a bunch of boxed sets. He was at 74 million a couple months ago so 26 million is a lot. I mean the Beatles with their selling power and a movie about their music and their remastered stuff hasn't caught Garth yet. So that is probably a perfect goal for Garth to reach. I can also seeing him try to get No Fences up to Double Diamond and the title top selling Country album. Pass Shania, pass Double Live. I see lots of goals.

But things I'd like to see is a ticket/CD bundle. With 50,00 fans average.... He can do a Legacy 2 or just start releasing the catalog individually. He has No Fences 30th anniversary coming up, so a special edition album would be nice. He does have the duet album with Trisha that was talked about earlier in the year and they recorded that song for it at the Opry stage or something. I think he will try to help Trisha up her sales.

He is on the cuff of a EOY, male vocalist, and Special event at CMA's. Trisha is in the running to make ballot as female vocalist. Can you imagine sales and publicity if they make it to final ballot. Garth and Trisha can even bundle FUN and her new cd for that and if they win any of those awards. I think Garth just has a chance at EOY but not male vocalist and maybe vocal event since Blake Shelton is with him and he may need to get an award. CMA's are in November. Again, lots of opportunities to sell his product on a national stage. I am sure he has ads ready for the show if he makes the final ballot.
    I would like to see him finish the stadium tour, the Dive Bar tour and then settle back in to a residency back in Vegas for a year or two. He can do a Garth/Trisha show. Promote the queen, sell some music and merchandise. Garantee that overseas visitors can see him, he can do an occasional concert around the country to sow his oats and maybe a FAIR tour. I keep wondering if he will retire but don't see it. But as I keep saying, we have several months to go before we get numbers. But I can see lots of PR from CMA's if he makes final ballot and maybe shipping CMA Entertainer of the Year on catalog.
    Sorry for the rambling. Like I said before, I am semi bed ridden as I work on my infected foot and dialysis. Gives me lots of time to think. LOL.

Remember he doesnt have to sell, he just has to ship.

So if he manages to ship 333K per package (3 pacakges) thru various retailers he gets his 42 million that will take him to 190 Million.

Im sure he will manage to get the other 10 Mil units from somewhere.

There must be at least ten major retailers that will buy this thing.

I remember the 1998 Limited series took him from 68 Million to 80 Million in one jump.
    It doesn't work that way though. Each box has 14 discs. If he sells 333,333 of each box that is only 1 million boxes. That's not 42 million, but 14 by an RIAA count. He would have to sell 3 million boxes to get 42 million.

I guess my thing is it just seems like everyone thinks if Garth puts out a box set it is somehow going to push him over 200 million units. Look, more people have walked on the moon than even have 100 million RIAA units. I'm not saying Garth won't get there because I think he's going to continue to bundle and push, but it isn't like releasing something and it is automatic. Retailers have had a lot of leftover units when they have bought the whole guaranteed 1 million like what happened with Target and The Ultimate Collection. I saw those selling for like $6.99 just to move it. If I'm a big retailer I'm thinking a long time before I buy a a million copies of something.

Again, I think the ceiling on this is also limited. It is vinyl and it is expensive. The 3 box set is almost $200 on Amazon and the individual sets are just under $70 on Amazon. Your average "Joe" is not dropping that on this set. Those are two things that will drastically slow down the huge units. We even have people on this board, who are Garth nuts, that won't spend that money on this set.

As I said above, if he sold 1 million pieces of vinyl, as was mentioned in a press release, that is a huge amount, but less than 150,000 boxes. If he sold 150,000 pre-orders when there was a huge marketing push to sell he's not selling 3 million total boxes. It's just not realistic.
    Last edited by rhd13; 08-17-2019 at 01:20 PM.

There is also one more thing to consider. If he chooses to have each album, not the box, certified then it actually will make a difference. The RIAA certifies at 500,000, 1 million and then every subsequent million after that. If you sell/ship one copy less than the next million it won’t be certified. My gut is he is close to Diamond on at least The Chase & In Pieces (and possibly Fresh Horses) and something like 150,000 - 200,000 units might do the trick. If that is the case he will get Diamonds for those of this box. I personally think that is the current goal. He seems to be aiming for Diamonds (remember the Diamond Celebration) and he has albums close. To me I don’t think the Beatles or 200 million is the goal at all with this box. I think it is getting those albums to Diamond. That is why the box contains the studio albums it does.

Interesting article on vinyl sales. They are doing robust business in 2019. The article mentioned in 2018 the Beatles sold 300,000 units in vinyl. Garth will hopefully do that with Legacy.

September 6, 2019 12:38PM ET
    Vinyl Is Poised to Outsell CDs For the First Time Since 1986

In the near future, the revenue generated by record sales is likely to surpass the revenue generated by CDs
    By Elias Leight

Record sales keep growing.

David Sharp/AP/Shutterstock

Sales of vinyl records have enjoyed constant growth in recent years. At the same time, CD sales are in a nosedive. Last year, the Recording Industry Association of America’s (RIAA) mid-year report suggested that CD sales were declining three times as fast as vinyl sales were growing. In February, the RIAA reported that vinyl sales accounted for more than a third of the revenue coming from physical releases.

This trend continues in RIAA’s 2019 mid-year report, which came out on Thursday. Vinyl records earned $224.1 million (on 8.6 million units) in the first half of 2019, closing in on the $247.9 million (on 18.6 million units) generated by CD sales. Vinyl revenue grew by 12.8% in the second half of 2018 and 12.9% in the first six months of 2019, while the revenue from CDs barely budged. If these trends hold, records will soon be generating more money than compact discs.

Analogue music fans queue to enter an independent record shop in Soho on the 11th annual Record Store Day.11th annual Record Store Day, London, UK - 21 Apr 2018Over 200 independent record shops all across the UK come together to celebrate the unique culture of vinyl music with special releases made exclusively for the day.
    Vinyl Now Makes One-Third of the Money in Physical Music
    CDs Are Dying Three Times as Fast as Vinyl Is Growing

Despite vinyl’s growth, streaming still dominates the music industry — records accounted for just 4 percent of total revenues in the first half of 2019. In contrast, paid subscriptions to streaming services generated 62 percent of industry revenues.

“We welcome [the growth in vinyl],” Tom Corson, now the co-chairman and CEO of Warner Records, told Rolling Stone in 2015. “It’s a sexy, cool product. It represents an investment in music that’s an emotional one. [But] it is a small percentage of our business. It’s not going to make or break our year. We devote the right amount of resources to it, but it’s not something where we have a department for it.”

Still, the vinyl resurgence has been a boon for some artists, especially classic rock groups. The Beatles sold over 300,000 records in 2018, while Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, and Queen all sold over 100,000.
    Last edited by gbkubfan; 09-06-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: can't do link

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I'm sorry, I had to laugh at this one..

"In the near future, the revenue generated by record sales is likely to surpass the revenue generated by CDs
    By Elias Leight"

when you couple that near headlines like this

"CD sales are falling three times faster than vinyl is growing" https://thevinylfactory.com/news/cd-...vinyl-growing/

it becomes a little bit less of a headline..... def. trying to pump up the vinyl.. if course they're gonna surpass CD's if CD's are falling sales wise at 3 times the rate of vinyl's growth..

I find this more interesting honestly, from Billboard last year

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...vinyl-analysis

They're both niche status bound IMO... the majority of the target demographic (young people, millennials, etc.) aren't driving the needle of sales to physical media... if they were you'd see upticks in sales for CD players, turntables, speakers, etc.. you dont'.. Streaming (ugh) and digital music is till the current way to consume I believe... the best way? ehh that's debatable- but it's the 'way' of the current target audience I think...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

There is no way, Vinyl will ever outsell CDs.

I'd still rather buy old stuff (and even new stuff )on vinyl than cd at this point since I've bought Garth's music on cd over and over all these years...

I'll just stream in my car, vinyl may be niche but in my opinion so are cds.
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

We may have a new CD (FUN), Legacy, the CMAs, so Garth should have a great end of the year. Hopefully this means he is excited again. Dive Bar is doing ok on some charts, he is doing stuff with Trisha. :-)

Garth is going to look pretty good if Legacy does great with all this promotion. Besides the CMA's, he has a spot in the Ken Burns doc, he has the A&E doc, he'll probably make a few appearances with Tra on her tour, maybe a Good Morning America type visit, maybe a late night show, then there is Dive Bar video, the maybe release of FUN. The reason I say he will look good is he is going to be showcased with his catalog music in both docs so people who see his music from the start of his career will be tempted to buy Legacy if not The Ultimate Hits. If he doesn't do Dive Bar on CMA's (if he performs) then probably catalog music.

+ Reply to Thread