+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kinda confused or ??????

Plus they will be more in awe that he passes 200 million. That he has 10 or so Diamond Awards. That he passes the Beatles. I think this will be the big one. I saw an article somewhere asking why the younger generation ignores the Beatles. The one mark that is unargueable except for the fact people had to buy the same music is the sales mark on Nielsen Soundscan. 74 million is impressive. I really thought the Beatles would be selling a lot more with the releases of Yesterday (the movie). But the sales amounts were low and didn't make a major impact. Garth may resell his catalog but his touring helps the sales. So yes, most fans and people won't worry or know how he got his records and he clearly played by RIAA rules. But people do buy his music.

This article seems to explain things in some ways.

https://chartmasters.org/2019/01/gar...d-songs-sales/

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I saw an article somewhere asking why the younger generation ignores the Beatles. The one mark that is unargueable except for the fact people had to buy the same music is the sales mark on Nielsen Soundscan. 74 million is impressive. I really thought the Beatles would be selling a lot more with the releases of Yesterday (the movie). But the sales amounts were low and didn't make a major impact.
    I know you are REALLY wanting Garth to pass the Beatles at hit the 200 million mark. I understand that. However, I just don't agree with some of the statements about the Beatles.

The Beatles are like Star Wars. They are the single most popular music act that has ever been. For the decade of the 2000-2009 they were the #2 act in sales behind only Eminem and their greatest hits album "1" was the #1 selling album of that decade.

Even in 2018 they were ranked as the #53 artist on Billboard's 200 Album Artists chart. They were ahead of other mammoth artists who have released new music in just the last year or two like Metallica, Blake Shelton, Keith Urban, Adele, Carrie Underwood, Florida Georgia Line, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Kenny Chesney and Sam Hunt just to name a few.

There is also their place in the streaming world. This week they are ranked as the #98 artist in the world on Spotify.

All this for a band that hasn't recorded a note of new music since 1970!!!

I get that Yesterday may not have boosted their album sales by much, but I'd put money it has enhanced their place on streaming services and enhanced their legend.

As far as SoundScan, I understand that Garth leads them on SoundScan, but as I said in a previous post, SoundScan started in 1991 and basically covered ALL of Garth's massive sales. The Beatles had been inactive for 21 years when it started and it covered NONE of their best selling years. Despite that they are still the #2 act of all-time on SoundScan and the last numbers I saw showed they were only 3-4 million behind Garth.

I just think this talk of the Beatles demise among the younger generation is a little premature.

One other point and then I will hush. I am all about perspective and I think we need some on these RIAA numbers. In the history of the RIAA and American music only 23 acts have surpassed 50 million in certified album sales. (Garth needs 52 million to hit 200 million.) That means that Garth has to move as many units as U2 has sold in their ENTIRE CAREER in the US. Garth has to move those 52 million units at a time when albums don't sell like they did in the 90s, at a time when he is not as commercially popular as he was in the 90s, and when he chooses not to stream (which does count towards RIAA certification).

I am not saying he can't/won't do it. I am sure there are some albums in his catalog that are probably under certified or close to hitting a new certification mark. The big thing though is I think we are going to get a box set every year for the next decade with multiple discs and there were be an attempt to actually get the retailers to buy those boxes at super low prices (just like we have seen) in order to guarantee they sell a certain amount. Is it possible, yes. Is it an uphill battle even with the box set trickery, absolutely.

Just remember that, he's got to move as many records as U2 did in their entire career (in the US) to hit the 200 million mark. I think he may get there, but I think it's going to take a lot of box sets to do so.

Absolutely agreed!! If you peruse the RIAA site (https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section), and look up the Beatles, you'll notice that really only a handful of their albums have been certified since 2010. The rest haven't been certified in decades, some since the mid-90s. Since that time there have been several re-releases of almost every album (i.e. 2009 mono and stereo remasters and recent super deluxe editions of Sgt Pepper, White Album, & next month's Abbey Road, and various vinyl re-releases), streaming, iTunes & other digital sales, etc etc etc. When Apple finally gets around to recertifying the entire catalog, I bet you will see HUGE jumps in the Beatles' RIAA numbers.

If Garth certifies next year and by some miracle of a chance actually passes the Beatles, you can bet your gluteus that Apple will get off its duff and re-certify the entire Beatles catalog and the Beatles would once again be out front by a wide margin.

It's a nice fantasy thinking that Garth will one day pass the Beatles, but, like Ryan, I just don't see it happening. If Garth's NEW albums were as popular now as his old albums were in the 90's, then maybe. But they're not, and Garth doesn't seem to have enough confidence in his own new stuff to make it happen. Instead, he seems hell-bent on re-selling us his old stuff in as many formats as he can muster (digital, boxed sets, books, vinyl, and probably another greatest hits package next year or 2021). If that's his strategy, okay, but at some point folks are gonna decide they have enough copies of FILP and Rodeo.

I agree on the RIAA numbers, Garth has a high road to follow. Shipments is a big deal and they can ship a lot of catalog for the Beatles with 48 albums. But I think Garth is doing great on Soundscan. Since that is done in real time. But nobody thought Thriller could be passed and Eagles did it. I really don't understand why Garth won't do a ticket bundle at concerts. I would love to see a concert only album. That would be cool and really jack up the numbers. I don't buy he doesn't want to be like others. I personally think he's scared that nobody will purchase a concert bundle since sales are recorded by start of concert tour. But anyways, I am enjoying the race for 200 million and 100 million. It will be close.
    As for so many repeats on catalog I think back to the 60's and 70's. My father and step mother bought every album released by Tammy Wynette and Johnny Cash. Most of them had the same songs but were titled The furthur hits, Cash sings the prison songs or Tammy sings the breakup songs. They'd play them over and over. I think that's why I took so long to embrace country music. Everything was Tammy or Cash. This was for other singers and it made it easy to buy birthday and Xmas gifts. Just find another Cash or Wynette release.

So I know I am a little slow on this. But looking at Legacy on different retail sites, I notice that they are selling numbered sets and unnumbered sets. Does this mean Garth has a million numbered sets made as well as who knows how many unnumbered sets. Does that mean Legacy will have shipped 42 million or more with numbered sets? How many unnumbered sets will he ship? This will be quite interesting for RIAA purposes. If he decides to get everything certified. Wow. Neilsen Sound Scan will also be interesting. He won't get way far ahead since they only count as one unit sold but with the recent push on The Chase, In Pieces, The Ultimate Hits, No Fences, and with the holidays approaching Christmas Together he can get a lot of sales counted. Plus if they set up end caps for his catalog. Wow again. I wonder if he will certify when Legacy is released or wait for holiday season to quiet down. Will he wait until after Black Friday? If it doesn't sell well will it go on sale real quick?

I imagine it’s a million total, with a certain portion of those being numbered and the rest unnumbered.

+ Reply to Thread