Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 32

Thread: Should he/shoudln't he (potentially heated post) (should Garth comment on shootings)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568

    Should he/shoudln't he (potentially heated post) (should Garth comment on shootings)

    Bringing from inside studio G thread to keep that one on track...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale
    Unfortunately because of POLITICIANS the phrase "Thoughts and Prayers" sounds awful, doesnt sound genuine at all, they've ruined the phrase, entertainer or no entertainer, if you aren't
    going to say something significant, I would prefer he doesn't mention it at all, not even in passing.
    wouldn't be the first time that politicians have ruined things.. I would prefer he just not mention it at all if he has to make something more than in passing statement wise... Garth's an entertainer, not a politician. may be a not popular opinion but I dont love Garth for his commentary on social issues of the day nor do I honestly care to hear him opine as if any other celeb... I love Garth for his Music. let him keep to his music, to garth being garth.

    Saying hes an entertainer and not a debater, that kinda borders on the "Shut up and dribble" comment.
    this may be unpopular, but yeah.. in this case Garth should 'shut up and dribble'.. There's enough crap on the plate of our world from all sides/angles.... why corrupt entertainment too?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Bringing from inside studio G thread to keep that one on track...

    wouldn't be the first time that politicians have ruined things.. I would prefer he just not mention it at all if he has to make something more than in passing statement wise... Garth's an entertainer, not a politician. may be a not popular opinion but I dont love Garth for his commentary on social issues of the day nor do I honestly care to hear him opine as if any other celeb... I love Garth for his Music. let him keep to his music, to garth being garth.



    this may be unpopular, but yeah.. in this case Garth should 'shut up and dribble'.. There's enough crap on the plate of our world from all sides/angles.... why corrupt entertainment too?
    I dont think having a strong opinion if your an entertainer is corrupting entertainment, his Kids and grandkids and friends have to go to the same malls as the rest of us, go to schools/bars/ sports events/concerts etc etc.

    I have no issue with Garth saying nothing and not mentioning it at all.

    I think saying nothing at all, is better than just saying soundbite type statements Like "Love each other"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I dont think having a strong opinion if your an entertainer is corrupting entertainment, his Kids and grandkids and friends have to go to the same malls as the rest of us, go to schools/bars/ sports events/concerts etc etc.
    Garth having an opinion is fine- just because you're an entertainer doesn't mean you can't have opinions.. doesn't mean he has to go political on everything.. that could be corrupting his 'entertainment' with political messages.. sure that's an opinion, but I'd rather hear garth opine about country music and hear good music than I would hear him try to play social influencer..

    I have no issue with Garth saying nothing and not mentioning it at all.
    I agree here- I don't have a problem with that either...


    I think saying nothing at all, is better than just saying soundbite type statements Like "Love each other"
    I'd rather hear a love one another message than a political rant from Garth.. or nothing.. either one really..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  4. #4
    Garth mentioning it or expressing his opinion on the issue is his choice. He has a right o express it just like you do. If people don't like the opinion, that's not his fault. The last time I checked the 1st amendment wasn't predicated on whether or not someone agreed with an opinion.

  5. #5
    I hate that we can't edit posts beyond a certain time limit. Skywise in another thread basically gave what his answer will be. My problem is when people say just because he or anyone that's an actor, singer or anyone else in the entertainment that automatically precludes them from exercising their rights. That's a bunch of bullocks.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Garth having an opinion is fine- just because you're an entertainer doesn't mean you can't have opinions.. doesn't mean he has to go political on everything.. that could be corrupting his 'entertainment' with political messages.. sure that's an opinion, but I'd rather hear garth opine about country music and hear good music than I would hear him try to play social influencer..

    I agree here- I don't have a problem with that either...


    I'd rather hear a love one another message than a political rant from Garth.. or nothing.. either one really..
    Any statement could be considered to be political. Heck his songs could be considered to be political. If ya going to
    address something, address it.

    Has wimpy said though , he can saying he likes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Garth mentioning it or expressing his opinion on the issue is his choice. He has a right o express it just like you do. If people don't like the opinion, that's not his fault. The last time I checked the 1st amendment wasn't predicated on whether or not someone agreed with an opinion.
    That’s a very true statement- I won’t argue with it- we all have opinions.... and can share them
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    I hate that we can't edit posts beyond a certain time limit. Skywise in another thread basically gave what his answer will be. My problem is when people say just because he or anyone that's an actor, singer or anyone else in the entertainment that automatically precludes them from exercising their rights. That's a bunch of bullocks.
    A good point, I am not saying personally that he can’t say anything, but I will also freely say that I don’t consider myself a fan of his to hear his political opinions, but his music instead
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Any statement could be considered to be political. Heck his songs could be considered to be political. If ya going to
    address something, address it.

    Has wimpy said though , he can saying he likes.
    And what if he chooses not to address it? Will you then be disappointed that he did not? Or will you agree that it was his right not to and his right to sidestep it if he chooses
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    And what if he chooses not to address it? Will you then be disappointed that he did not? Or will you agree that it was his right not to and his right to sidestep it if he chooses
    What ever he does, it's his choice.

    If he does address it, I Hope it will be more deeper than him just saying "people Loving people"

    If he doesnt then thats okay.

    Remember "prime time" though, he said he would talk of the issues of the day.

    If he just says a politicians soundbite though, I wouldnt get much out of it.

    Anything he does is his choice.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    A small town within the big city
    Posts
    1,966
    Garth has not been political in his career; I think that's smart. However we've not had this kind of violence against civilians since the civil war. I witnessed the gains made by Elijah Cummings and John Lewis. I saw the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK on my telly's evening news. We are sliding a very deep slippery slope back to the turn of the last century. I sus he will have a heartfelt response that is not political.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,302
    He has always stayed away from politics, but this isn't really a political issue. It's about violence and hate in our society. I actually sent an ask Garth at one point asking about the Prime Time segments, since we hadn't seen anything yet. His response was basically that they would talk about things as they came up, but pretty much stay out of politics. I would expect he may mention it at the end briefly and play a little bit of "The Change" perhaps. I think that will be about it, which is ok with me.
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

  13. #13
    But what would people consider being political? Having a suggestion to help curb the problem?? Mentioning guns?? mental health??

    What is considered to be a helpful comment?? And what is considered to be a political one??

    if he politely says....

    "Commonsense needs to prevail, we should all take a deep breath, listen to the experts and try to make sure that acts of violence are less likely to occur."

    That cant be political, because he is not mentioning a political party or a politician's name or any specific group.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    If he does address it, I Hope it will be more deeper than him just saying "people Loving people"

    If he doesnt then thats okay.
    fair 'enough


    Remember "prime time" though, he said he would talk of the issues of the day.

    If he just says a politicians soundbite though, I wouldnt get much out of it.

    Anything he does is his choice.
    yeah I remember the prime time 'announcement' - also remember the 'g alert'.. both things that seem to have gone by the wayside
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    Garth has not been political in his career; I think that's smart. However we've not had this kind of violence against civilians since the civil war. I witnessed the gains made by Elijah Cummings and John Lewis. I saw the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK on my telly's evening news. We are sliding a very deep slippery slope back to the turn of the last century. I sus he will have a heartfelt response that is not political.
    He'll have a 'people loving people' type of response if anything, I'd wager... Garth hasn't been political, which def. is smart.
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    But what would people consider being political?
    on this issue? good question...

    Having a suggestion to help curb the problem?? Mentioning guns?? mental health??
    mentioning guns/gun control... . yes.. probably political.. mental health? probably not too political, though is /was mental health the precipitating factor in this latest bout of violence?

    ]What is considered to be a helpful comment?? And what is considered to be a political one??
    a helpful comment? something that brings hope/healing/strength/love to people.

    a political comment? one that mentions guns, the president, stuff of that nature.. IMO


    if he politely says....

    "Commonsense needs to prevail, we should all take a deep breath, listen to the experts and try to make sure that acts of violence are less likely to occur."

    That cant be political, because he is not mentioning a political party or a politician's name or any specific group.
    depends on who you look to/how you look at it- on one hand? i can agree with you- on the other hand? the phrases "common sense needs to prevail".. "listen to the experts to try to make sure,..."

    thats approaching if not crossing the political line, honestly. 'common sense needs to prevail' sounds to some I'm sure as 'common sense gun regulations or reform/banning'.. 'listen to the experts to try to make sure..." - who are hte experts? which 'side' of the aisle has the experts?

    problem isn't GUNS.. it's humanity... we are a fallen, sinful, prideful species.....
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Posts
    250
    I have always appreciated Garth not getting political. I am a huge conservative and if Garth came out as a Democrat thatís fine, if he comes out attacking my president we have problems. Just be respectful thatís all. I am a high school history teacher and will not ever push my political beliefs on to anyone. Had a student ask me if I liked Obama 5 years ago and my response was he is our president and we should root for him to succeed.
    I do agree with skywise just shut up and play. If you wanna be political go run for office.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I have always appreciated Garth not getting political. I am a huge conservative and if Garth came out as a Democrat that’s fine, if he comes out attacking my president we have problems. Just be respectful that’s all. I am a high school history teacher and will not ever push my political beliefs on to anyone. Had a student ask me if I liked Obama 5 years ago and my response was he is our president and we should root for him to succeed.
    I do agree with skywise just shut up and play. If you wanna be political go run for office.
    That's what I was talking about in my posts.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    on this issue? good question...

    mentioning guns/gun control... . yes.. probably political.. mental health? probably not too political, though is /was mental health the precipitating factor in this latest bout of violence?

    a helpful comment? something that brings hope/healing/strength/love to people.

    a political comment? one that mentions guns, the president, stuff of that nature.. IMO


    depends on who you look to/how you look at it- on one hand? i can agree with you- on the other hand? the phrases "common sense needs to prevail".. "listen to the experts to try to make sure,..."

    thats approaching if not crossing the political line, honestly. 'common sense needs to prevail' sounds to some I'm sure as 'common sense gun regulations or reform/banning'.. 'listen to the experts to try to make sure..." - who are hte experts? which 'side' of the aisle has the experts?

    problem isn't GUNS.. it's humanity... we are a fallen, sinful, prideful species.....
    Guns might not be the problem, but they do make it a hell of a lot easier for the fallen people to kill.

  20. #20
    I don't deny that a lot of the problem in today society in general is because of the change in how the younger generations are raised. Randa and Skywise are teachers and my sister has been a teacher for 25 years. She will tell you very quickly that most of today's parents see raising their kids basically as an inconvenience. We now have two generations of young people that were plopped down in front of screens like computers, tv's and consoles instead of parents communicating with their children. If you look at the percentages of kids that can read on their grade level it's sad. So yes society has changed drastically in the last 25 to 30 years. I would love to have Randa's and Skywise's opinion on the issue of how they see their students being raised.

    On the issue of gun control. What's wrong with denying people who are known to have mental issues or people with a history of violent crimes access to firearms. I'm not one of these people that think that an all outright assault weapon ban will cure the issue either. Not I think particularly think people should be owing AR-15's and AK47's. That's for people who are smarter than me to figure out.

    What happened in the last two days goes deeper than guns it goes to the root of the ideology that they encompass. When you think that your better than people just because their skin color is different that yours that's a major league problem. All of this racist rhetoric that has blossomed over the past decade has gotten out of hand. One of my friends said that he thinks the majority of the problem is we as a country really don't like or respect each other. We tolerate one another to a point, but we don't like or respect one another. I just touched what I perceive what's wrong with society. I didn't even touch what I think is wrong with our government.
    Last edited by wimpy77; 08-05-2019 at 03:58 AM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon..
    Posts
    4,987
    This post is about Garth taking a political stance. Lets stick to that. Thanks.

    If you want to debate gun control or other topics, that's ok. Please take it to the back porch forum and be respectful.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I have always appreciated Garth not getting political. I am a huge conservative and if Garth came out as a Democrat that’s fine, if he comes out attacking my president we have problems.
    I have always appreciated (even if not vocally) garth's willingness to promote the idea of respecting the office of president, even if not the person. (it's just the way he's seemed to be.) that's how is should be.
    Just be respectful that’s all.
    very true- I find it amazing that those who rail on against all the hate of the right, or the conservatives, or the president, etc. are so equally willing to spew their own hate and think it's ok.

    I am a high school history teacher and will not ever push my political beliefs on to anyone.
    Amen to that! I am the exact same way!! It's not our position to teach students HOW to think on issues/politics, but give them facts and access to both sides and let them make their own decisions...

    Had a student ask me if I liked Obama 5 years ago and my response was he is our president and we should root for him to succeed.
    I have had similar interactions as well-

    I do agree with skywise just shut up and play. If you wanna be political go run for office.
    hopefully Garth doesn't wax political...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    That's what I was talking about in my posts.
    had to kinda run back through the thread to se if i had it in context...

    I'm not saying garth doesn't have the RIGHT to spout his mind- heck we all do. there's a respected editorial cartoonist locally who has been spouting crap lately. is he a celebrity? not in the wide swing of things.. but locally? kidna- still, I wish he'd do what he does best, draw, and not wax political..

    Just because someone has the RIGHT and the ABILITY to do something doesn't mean they should, or that even as a fan , that we should then applaud or think it's great... just sayin
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Guns might not be the problem, but they do make it a hell of a lot easier for the fallen people to kill.

    The fallen people are the issue....
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    I don't deny that a lot of the problem in today society in general is because of the change in how the younger generations are raised. Randa and Skywise are teachers and my sister has been a teacher for 25 years. She will tell you very quickly that most of today's parents see raising their kids basically as an inconvenience. We now have two generations of young people that were plopped down in front of screens like computers, tv's and consoles instead of parents communicating with their children. If you look at the percentages of kids that can read on their grade level it's sad. So yes society has changed drastically in the last 25 to 30 years. I would love to have Randa's and Skywise's opinion on the issue of how they see their students being raised.

    On the issue of gun control. What's wrong with denying people who are known to have mental issues or people with a history of violent crimes access to firearms. I'm not one of these people that think that an all outright assault weapon ban will cure the issue either. Not I think particularly think people should be owing AR-15's and AK47's. That's for people who are smarter than me to figure out.

    What happened in the last two days goes deeper than guns it goes to the root of the ideology that they encompass. When you think that your better than people just because their skin color is different that yours that's a major league problem. All of this racist rhetoric that has blossomed over the past decade has gotten out of hand. One of my friends said that he thinks the majority of the problem is we as a country really don't like or respect each other. We tolerate one another to a point, but we don't like or respect one another. I just touched what I perceive what's wrong with society. I didn't even touch what I think is wrong with our government.
    lemme take this one to the back porch....
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    The fallen people are the issue....
    Which means, you try and make it harder for them to obtain a weapon that they could kill a lot of people with, and make it easier and cheaper for them to obtain clinical help.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Which means, you try and make it harder for them to obtain a weapon that they could kill a lot of people with, and make it easier and cheaper for them to obtain clinical help.
    fallen people are still fallen people. unfortunately the human spirit will find a way to the path of doing harm- how do you make it harder w/o trampling rights of others? how do you effectively segregate a portion of the pop into those 'ideas' as you have them, but not infringe on others?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    fallen people are still fallen people. unfortunately the human spirit will find a way to the path of doing harm- how do you make it harder w/o trampling rights of others? how do you effectively segregate a portion of the pop into those 'ideas' as you have them, but not infringe on others?
    Its really really easy. People with a history of mental health issues cant buy assault weapons. If you want to buy an assault weapon, and theres a red flag next to ya name (issues at school, work, etc etc) then your not allowed to buy an assault weapon

    If you dont have any issues with mental health, then feel free to buy an assault weapon.

    Yes people with mental health issues, will always find a way, but why not make it harder for them to purchase.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,568
    Well, since you're still on this thread and not taking it ot hte back porch as spud asked...

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Its really really easy. People with a history of mental health issues cant buy assault weapons. If you want to buy an assault weapon, and theres a red flag next to ya name (issues at school, work, etc etc) then your not allowed to buy an assault weapon

    If you dont have any issues with mental health, then feel free to buy an assault weapon.

    Yes people with mental health issues, will always find a way, but why not make it harder for them to purchase.
    who qualifies the history of mental health issues?
    who decides you have an issue?
    whats the standard for diagnosis?
    what if treatment has worked? are you then able to purchase?
    what if there is vindictive action on the part of a relative to say get you put on list?

    those are just a few questions that arise.. it's not gun.... it's the whackadoodle imbecile who's doing the shooting
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Bringing from inside studio G thread to keep that one on track...

    wouldn't be the first time that politicians have ruined things.. I would prefer he just not mention it at all if he has to make something more than in passing statement wise... Garth's an entertainer, not a politician. may be a not popular opinion but I dont love Garth for his commentary on social issues of the day nor do I honestly care to hear him opine as if any other celeb... I love Garth for his Music. let him keep to his music, to garth being garth.



    this may be unpopular, but yeah.. in this case Garth should 'shut up and dribble'.. There's enough crap on the plate of our world from all sides/angles.... why corrupt entertainment too?
    Well let me ask you something, you encourage everybody on this site to have an opinion about something and not be afraid of it, yet you're gonna tell Garth to 'shut up'? I don't know about everyone else around here, but that mindset to me spells HYPOCRITE!

Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts