+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wow! Even rapper does Chris Gaines

Wow! Even rapper does Chris Gaines

https://www.thefader.com/2019/07/30/...ion-cover-2019

childish Gambino covers Lost In You. Who knew....

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    https://www.thefader.com/2019/07/30/...ion-cover-2019

childish Gambino covers Lost In You. Who knew....
    Wow! That was incredible. I've always said it's a shame that the songs and music of the Chris Gaines album were overshadowed by the name and circumstances in which they were released. It Don't Matter to the Sun, That's the Way I Remember it, Driftin' Away, and Maybe are all fantastic songs and deserved better than what they got. Alison Krauss did an amazing cover of Maybe, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqcmnTxn94

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Wow! That was incredible. I've always said it's a shame that the songs and music of the Chris Gaines album were overshadowed by the name and circumstances in which they were released. It Don't Matter to the Sun, That's the Way I Remember it, Driftin' Away, and Maybe are all fantastic songs and deserved better than what they got. Alison Krauss did an amazing cover of Maybe, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFqcmnTxn94
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Garth releases the Chris Gaines album in 1999 as a Garth Brooks album without the whole alter ego gimmick, it becomes a crossover megahit and sells a billion copies.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. ‘It was awesome.

The Chris Gaines has a special place for me, I love it, and I agree that if it had been a Garth release it woulda set the world on fire.

My wish is a vinyl release with the holographic cover. I’d buy so many copies someone would commit me.
    Last edited by fences2312; 07-31-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added my vinyl wish

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Part of me is still shaking my head- its Lando Calrissian singing Chris Gaines....

seriously? it's not too bad a cover for certain..

I'd have to listen to more of the CG album again, but at the TIME it was put out (1999), knowing what Garth's music was sounding like then, before the Scarecrow album, remembering country at the time...

would it have been a big hit? no- it would have still been a misunderstood eclectic collection of songs that range from a 'garth sound' to 'garth trying ot be someone else".. I doubt it would have been a huge mega hits/smash album... not in a million years...

youd' have had a hit perhaps with 'driftin away', if they 'countrified' it a bit (maybe a steel guitar)

strongest song would have been It don't matter to the sun.. it's the unapologetic this is actually garth brooks singing' song.......

next would have been main street perhaps- not a top song, but dep. on how it was worked, could have been something...

Digging for Gold? maybe- if not for the singing voice Garth used- it's gotta be deeper, and the pop vibe would need to be replaced with more of a country sound...

The rest- too pop sounding (which is the intent of the album largely..) Garth would have been somewhat laughed at I'd wager.. critically at least...

The CG 'event' is largely best left in the past....... it was an interesting if short sighted idea for the time..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Garth releases the Chris Gaines album in 1999 as a Garth Brooks album without the whole alter ego gimmick, it becomes a crossover megahit and sells a billion copies.
    I agree totally 100%.

If there wasnt meant to be a movie, if he didn't release it under another name, if it was just released as "Garth is doing a one off Rock/pop album and will go back to country. Then that album would've exploded world wide.

Just bought a UK version of Lost In You for my collection.

Personally I have a wish that Chris Gaines would do some Garth Brooks covers. It could happen, not???

The 20 year anniversary is coming up. Chris Gaines should go to the vault and have Garth Brooks re-release In the life of Chris Gaines with some bonus tracks.

This is somewhat amusing though, I have listened to both episodes released so far: https://www.chrisgaines.show/

+ Reply to Thread