+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Luke Combs vs No Fences

Luke Combs vs No Fences

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ngest-no-1-run

I thought this was an interesting article. Comparing Luke Combs album with No Fences. Despite all tea, sea and actual album sales, Combs hasn't sold as many albums as Garth was in the day. Plus Garth was ruling the Top 200 as well as country charts. It is kinda sad the industry has changed so much. Maybe I am a dinosuaer but buying an album back then was an event. I remember standing outside Tower Records before work and waiting for them to open. The local Sacramento radio personality asked why I was buying 11 copies of the album and I said for my friends. I did slip him my Hungry years cassette once and he did an entire special radio on it after they cleaned it up. Radio was worth listening to then. Now I barely turn it on.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    def. an interesting article of sorts..

Since its release on June 2, 2017, This One's for You has earned 2.3 million equivalent album units, with 499,000 in traditional album sales.
    I found this interesting- since 2017, this #1 album has a TOTAL of 499,000 traditional album sales. traditional sales , where Garth continues to seemingly want to hang his hat, aren't the way to move music anymore. I also remember the days of waiting outside places etc to buy his CD's.. Heck, starting with Ropin The Wind I've bought every Garth CD in a similar way.. Either staying outside / at a midnight sale, or ON release day, or pre ordered. I used to love going to Media Play back in the day, as they'd be open for a midnight sale. Fresh Horses, DL, CG, Scarecrow, 7's, the magic of Christmas... all bought that way . I remember skipping (well coming in late to class) psych class in college to go downtown and buy The Chase. Ropin the Wind I bought on the day of release shortly after I'd started college. I remember getting the leadoff single "Lost in You" for the CG album the same way. People around me thought I was nuts but that was how I was in the day.

The LTD series? bought on Day 1 LTD series 2? same wy. Garth Entertainer set? Walmart exclusives? I was at the store AT midnight on day of release, sometimes having to have people go into the back to get my music.

I've tried listening to country this summer on the radio- It's near on impossible... most of it's crap on the local airwaves. The "classics" stations are playing the 80s and 90s... that's the better radio location for now
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

What I don't like about sales now, is a song can be played a certain number of times and that counts as an album sale. Can you imagine how inflated Garth's sales would have been back in the day. Country radio is to formulatic for me. I to was at midnight opening and standing in line. Miss those days.

And another thing 2 years and 1 month after No Fences was released it was certified 9x platinum. 2 years and 1 month of Luke Combs album only has 499,000 traditional and 2.3 million equivelent. You really cant compare those 2 albums. And garth had released 2 more albums in that time to top those charts.
    Last edited by Scarecrow; 07-18-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

At least Combs is one of the good guys that is ranked equal with Garth.

I think it's safe to break my hiatus and say that I hope Luke Combs lasts long enough to beak Shania's Come on Over record. That record was the bain of my childhood from 97 to 99. The worst country record in history.

The thing about 'Come On Over' was that she released pop version a year or so after the country version and that kept it on the top longer. It would be great if luke combs beats that record cos i agree with Outcast, its not even a country album.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    The thing about 'Come On Over' was that she released pop version a year or so after the country version and that kept it on the top longer. It would be great if luke combs beats that record cos i agree with Outcast, its not even a country album.
    And I know most people love to bash Garth and how he became an influence in the direction of where Country Music has been going (Which I think is bullshit), but if you want to talk about a perfect example of how Country Music REALLY went to a pop direction look no further than Come On Over by Shania. 1997 through 1999, no matter what station you were at, be it country, pop and rock, every station PLAYED EVERY SONG ON THAT ALBUM TO DEATH. You could not GET AWAY FROM IT!

Looking back on it now, I hated this album so much, I should have looked for either a Heavy Metal record or a Video Game Soundtrack. At least Chris Stapleton and Luke Combs are making an effort to do it right.

Technically No Fences has another week at #1 if you count the boxed set. Maybe more. Will ne interesting to see how the figures for Legacy will impact the charts. Will Fun dethrone Legacy from the top to be dethroned by Triple Live. Could he have the top 3 albums? It will be fun to see how things play out at end of year. Will the 42 disc Legacy sell more copies once it is released to retail. Did Amazon Prime up the numbers? Will Fun be a hit? And what kinda impact will Triple Live and its for now 6 covers? I know people want new music and they are getting it with Fun. Hopefully they will support Fun so Garth will keep releasing new music. But I am also a numbers person and collector. So I am excited to see Garth make a run at 200 million with these 3 records and adding to his Diamond Awards. Plus they have been hyping The Ultimate Hits on Amazon which could add to that albums total. So with 42 million Legacy numbers, at least a million for Fun and 6 million for Triple Live, Garth is pretty close to the 200 million number. Plus he could pull No Fences past Shania for top selling country album add Fresh Horses, In Pieces and The Chase to Diamond. And you add sales from the different albums being sold if you can find them. That's for RIAA numbers. For soundscan he is at 74 million and still #1 so his numbers will go up there. I wonder if he can get 26 million on soundscan to his 100 million actually sold. Like I said, so much to look forward to. I plan on buying 2 copies of each cover. That means 12 for Triple Live, another retail of the boxed set, at least 2 for Fun and that doesn't even take into fact that he may have first edition covers. Then for Xmas, certain friends will get Garth under the tree. I am hoping he can work out something to get all his music displayed at retail. But then that means next year we might get a Diamond vinyl boxed set, a xmas vinyl boxed set, the release of his albums not on vinyl yet. Looks like a collectors dream coming up. Thanks for reading my mutterings on PG. I love chatting about his numbers.

+ Reply to Thread