+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fun to be released End of Summer/Start of Autumn

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    Just give me a deluxe version of FUN and I will be happy. But if the tracks that have been released so far are the highlight, then this will be my least played GB album next to Fresh Horses.
    Ah now. It's too early to even say that. I think we are going to be surprised. There's a reason it's taking so long. He seems excited about it every time he brings it up on Studio G.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Ah now. It's too early to even say that. I think we are going to be surprised. There's a reason it's taking so long. He seems excited about it every time he brings it up on Studio G.
    In what way are we going to be surprised, do you think?

More than 10 songs- 12 songs would be awesome!

What I think is sad is how many people aren't supporting Garth. They are saying negative things, saying they won't buy album. I get it. You don't want rereleased stuff. But why be negative. Do you think Garth is going to read these and say GBKUBFAN is right, I need to change the marketing campaign I spent millions on. I see the need to vent but it seems it is a constant thing. I have been listening to these rants or whatever you call them for years and it hasn't changed a thing. Sorry, I needed to vent. I am excited to get anything from Garth. Other acts wait 2 or 3 or 4 years between new music i.e Taylor Swift, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen. At least we get something every year. I love the fact I can get Anthology, a boxed set or a cd bundle for friends at Christmas. I have introduced Garth to so many people over the years. We are jaded since we are megafans who love his stuff but again, he isn't just making music for us, he is trying to attract millions of others to listen to his music. And this streaming crap. People hide their music and just play it to themselves with their ear buds on. I found so much new music when I heard music blaring out of a boom box or car player. Now I don't know who 2/3rds of the people singing or on music shows. I don't think Garth is perfect but it is his music to do what he wants. You either like it or don't. But complaining isn't going to change it. Getting off my soap box.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    What I think is sad is how many people aren't supporting Garth. They are saying negative things, saying they won't buy album. I get it. You don't want rereleased stuff. But why be negative. Do you think Garth is going to read these and say GBKUBFAN is right, I need to change the marketing campaign I spent millions on. I see the need to vent but it seems it is a constant thing. I have been listening to these rants or whatever you call them for years and it hasn't changed a thing. Sorry, I needed to vent. I am excited to get anything from Garth. Other acts wait 2 or 3 or 4 years between new music i.e Taylor Swift, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen. At least we get something every year. I love the fact I can get Anthology, a boxed set or a cd bundle for friends at Christmas. I have introduced Garth to so many people over the years. We are jaded since we are megafans who love his stuff but again, he isn't just making music for us, he is trying to attract millions of others to listen to his music. And this streaming crap. People hide their music and just play it to themselves with their ear buds on. I found so much new music when I heard music blaring out of a boom box or car player. Now I don't know who 2/3rds of the people singing or on music shows. I don't think Garth is perfect but it is his music to do what he wants. You either like it or don't. But complaining isn't going to change it. Getting off my soap box.
    I know what ya mean about streaming crap. You will never discover new music that way, its great to be in someone elses car and you hear a song, and you think "Man that sounds cool"

Im just looking forward to the new album, and I hope it's a good one.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Hmm I feel called to be a 'voice of the negative' I guess- not that I'm trying to be negative in the interest of objectivity.....

What I think is sad is how many people aren't supporting Garth. They are saying negative things, saying they won't buy album. I get it. You don't want rereleased stuff.
    honestly for a lot of people that's the point. they don't want re-released stuff yet again.. how many times can you buy the same music over and over and over with small tweaks to remastering, or to artwork, with nothing substantial as an incentive to buy before signs point to you being a sucker or the artist (garth in this case) being only one who cares about $ (ala gene simmons) or numbers (garth apparently, from evidence).

But why be negative. Do you think Garth is going to read these and say GBKUBFAN is right, I need to change the marketing campaign I spent millions on.
    absolutely in some ways a good point. Why be negative? With a lot of fans who are feeling ripped off by someone they have supported for years, for those who are feeling used by Garth's constant marketing tactics, it comes across as negative and complaining sure.

I see the need to vent but it seems it is a constant thing.
    in many ways it is a constant thing, because Garth is seemingly constant in his rehash/rerelease/go to the well yet again philosophy.

I have been listening to these rants or whatever you call them for years and it hasn't changed a thing.
    I feel the same way about the retirement debacle. If you've been on PG for any length of time, you've probably heard me rant on it so I won't do that now. But 'back in the day' as it were, i feel I was a bit vocal about how garth mishandled his retirement. I was called complainer, you name it. I was complained about, and talked to, and called anything negative.. because it seemed like I was constantly railing on it.. but it hasn't changed a thing.. I still feel the way he handled his retirement was a debacle and wrong.. BUT.. it's in the past.. This too, gbkubfan, will pass..

Sorry, I needed to vent. I am excited to get anything from Garth. Other acts wait 2 or 3 or 4 years between new music i.e Taylor Swift, U2, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen. At least we get something every year.
    this speaks a bit to the reason people are seeming to complain a lot- people are waking up/have woken up and taken off the blinders. there are a core group of people who love his stuff, and love his music, but don't love Garth's actions...

Im' excited to get anything new from Garth too- but I'm also one who has lived through the retirement as a huge fan, and feel I was just getting into the swing of the fandom , and just 'diving in headfirst' (though I'm sure my family would say differently ) when Garth ripped that fandom joy away in retirement. I love that we get things a bit more quickly nowadays.. I really do.

I love the fact I can get Anthology, a boxed set or a cd bundle for friends at Christmas. I have introduced Garth to so many people over the years. We are jaded since we are megafans who love his stuff but again, he isn't just making music for us, he is trying to attract millions of others to listen to his music.
    That's also a reason people are angry (or seem angry).. it's not that Garth isn't wanting to expand his audience, that's admirable and it increases the fandom... What people may be upset about is more that it seems Garth is turning his back on the longtime fans to a point, and solely focusing on the newer, general fan.. (whether that comes in the form of his re releasing , or only playing the same 13-15 songs in a tour main set..) There are long time fans, and there are newbie fans... and many people in between.. Garth has seemingly narrowed his focus and let portions of his fans go off to the side w/o a care.. (is this true? probably not but I can see how that's something that can be seen.
    And this streaming crap. People hide their music and just play it to themselves with their ear buds on. I found so much new music when I heard music blaring out of a boom box or car player. Now I don't know who 2/3rds of the people singing or on music shows.
    that's a 'child' of the lack of attention/detail/patience/me me me now type of society we have raised up in this generation. the collective populace has no ability it seems to wait, its all "we want it now"..

I don't think Garth is perfect but it is his music to do what he wants. You either like it or don't. But complaining isn't going to change it. Getting off my soap box.
    Agreed.. Garth's music is his, Garth is going to do what he wants, and Garth is most definitely not perfect. I agree as well, you either like it or you don't.. I think there are some who like to complain, (not nec. on PG (well not actively but I think there are a few who probably lurk), there are those who are objectively open eyed with their fandom, there are those who are devoted beyond compelling, and there are those (thankfully not as many) who are either so obsessed with him physically (another mid 2000's crowd ) or so enamored with him that they are blind to the reality of the man who is their idol. Those are what I've collectively in the past referred to as 'rose colored glass wearing' fans, or 'blind' fans..

note- we're all 'true fans'.. it's just a level of fandom that is different.. which is in itself ok
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I know what ya mean about streaming crap. You will never discover new music that way, its great to be in someone elses car and you hear a song, and you think "Man that sounds cool"

Im just looking forward to the new album, and I hope it's a good one.
    Not a huge streamer of music, though I understand the culture of the youth nowadays who are into it, and who have grown up that way..

Agreed, also looking forward to the new album- a new album of Garth is always a joy!

Lol also, this is exactly how I was intro'd to Garths music. I was sitting in the back of a car at a college orientation in Durango, colorado. I heard Garth playing on their radio, asked who it was, was told 'that's Garth Brooks' and realized - heck, this country music thing isn't so bad! (and then BOOM- my fandom exploded over the next 4 years Garth wise)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Right on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    In what way are we going to be surprised, do you think?

More than 10 songs- 12 songs would be awesome!
    I think it'll have at least that. I just think it will be good. We know he's been working on it for a long time. I like most of the stuff that we already have access to. Courage of Love isn't bad, but it was more of a spur of the moment thing where he was taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity that he wasn't seeking out. I would consider it more of a bonus song, but not what the album will be about. And even if it's not his best album since coming back, it still won't be bad.

I think it'll have at least that. I just think it will be good.
    I'm hoping so too (that it'll be good.) I'm not AS much of a downer on the last two albums as some are- there are some great moments on each..

We know he's been working on it for a long time. I like most of the stuff that we already have access to. Courage of Love isn't bad, but it was more of a spur of the moment thing where he was taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity that he wasn't seeking out. I would consider it more of a bonus song, but not what the album will be about. And even if it's not his best album since coming back, it still won't be bad.
    was gonna quote something, but dang- ya captured the thought well!!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Thank you

Why rant and be negative?

- Because I have 37 copies of each album

- Because I have watched this man promise the moon and not deliver

- Because he hype’s up everything and then fails

- Because his ego will not let him go to iTunes or YouTube and hides behind songwriters BS

- Because he just never seems to give us the real fans what we want

- Because he seems more interested in new fans then old fans

- Because he is obsessed with Trisha yearwood

I love Garth and am stuck but he needs to remember where he came from and who put him there

I have talked about this in another thread before. I think there is an ENORMOUS difference between being mean/critical/negative and having legitimate criticism.

I have never understood the idea that you are not supporting an artist if you do not agree with everything they do or say. To me that is a crazy idea. I feel like if you have an opinion, and do more than follow an artist blindly, there will be times you may not like things that they do.

I have as many as 12 copies of some of Garth's albums. I think for the pre-retirement albums I have at least 3-4 of everything. Most of those have been bought because there was a different cover, bonus tracks in a boxset, or an item I wanted to collect. To be honest, I actually don't understand how anyone who has been a fan since the 90s is not sick of buying the same thing over and over again just to get a different cover or a few bonus tracks in a boxset.

The common response I see by people is if you don't want it, don't buy it. As I've said before that is such a narrow minded way to deal with this. You see, I usually do want the 6 bonus tracks in a 10 disc box set that I don't have and we get put in the position to either buy the box set or we can't get the 6 tracks. Most other artists put that stuff up on iTunes and then you can cherry pick the 6 tracks you don't have. With Garth there is no such luck. Being a fan who REALLY wants those six tracks I'll do it, but what does it say that we keep being put in that same position? It is those of us who actually care who are being put in a spot where we have to buy stuff over and over again or not get the few "new" things we get thrown our way.

You mention artists like Bruce Springsteen and U2, but do you realize the deluxe packages, live releases, etc. that those artists release? Bruce releases so much live stuff for his fans it is hard to keep up with. One of my best friends is a die-hard Bruce fan and he's always listening to something new. That is the thing. So many artists do what many of us here on this board want Garth to do. As I've said before, check out the Metallica box sets around each album or the Eric Church 61 Days in Church set with 160 live tracks from his 2017 tour. Again, if those artists can do that Garth can too. That's the thing, he won't. Instead he peddles the same thing to us while teasing a "bonus track" that ends up being something that has been available for 21 years. Or we get a live Anthology with just Double Live and Triple Live.

Again, I don't feel I'm mean. I feel like I try to be the opposite. I try to be very measured and thoughtful in my responses. I have a real reason for my frustration and I don't think that is because I'm not supportive of Garth. My 50+ concerts and entire shelf with as many as 12 copies of one album would actually say otherwise.

I just don't think it is too much to ask for him to stop trying to sell No Fences and start giving us new music or things from the vault that are "new" product.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I have talked about this in another thread before. I think there is an ENORMOUS difference between being mean/critical/negative and having legitimate criticism.
    // BOOM!!!!! Mic Drop!!

I have never understood the idea that you are not supporting an artist if you do not agree with everything they do or say. To me that is a crazy idea. I feel like if you have an opinion, and do more than follow an artist blindly, there will be times you may not like things that they do.
    I've always likened it to two things- #1, the saying "Never meet your heroes, because they're sure to disappoint you", and the growing pains episode where Ben (yes, I know the names o the kids- yikes!) meets his rock and roll 'idol' and the guy's a total tool/jerk.., OR professional wrestling.

Does not make you any less or more of a 'true fan' or a 'real fan' (if any thing, people who are called not 'true fans' when they disagree... that shows more ignorance than anything.., it just makes you a fan who's perhaps 'wisened up' to the humanity of the artist.. (or, in pro wrestling terms, you're not nec. a 'mark' anymore.. you know the realities of the business. you've 'seen behind the curtain' to the reality as it were..

I still love Garth's music just as much as I ever have, but long gone are the days when I can say I agree with everything he's said/done...

I have as many as 12 copies of some of Garth's albums. I think for the pre-retirement albums I have at least 3-4 of everything. Most of those have been bought because there was a different cover, bonus tracks in a boxset, or an item I wanted to collect. To be honest, I actually don't understand how anyone who has been a fan since the 90s is not sick of buying the same thing over and over again just to get a different cover or a few bonus tracks in a boxset.
    honestly? I hear what you're saying here! I know I'm one who would much rather not have to purchase the same stuff again and again to get a few new songs... Still, if they're 'NEW' it's a hoop I'm willing to jump through

The common response I see by people is if you don't want it, don't buy it. As I've said before that is such a narrow minded way to deal with this.
    Amen to that!

You see, I usually do want the 6 bonus tracks in a 10 disc box set that I don't have and we get put in the position to either buy the box set or we can't get the 6 tracks. Most other artists put that stuff up on iTunes and then you can cherry pick the 6 tracks you don't have. With Garth there is no such luck. Being a fan who REALLY wants those six tracks I'll do it, but what does it say that we keep being put in that same position? It is those of us who actually care who are being put in a spot where we have to buy stuff over and over again or not get the few "new" things we get thrown our way.
    yep!

You mention artists like Bruce Springsteen and U2, but do you realize the deluxe packages, live releases, etc. that those artists release? Bruce releases so much live stuff for his fans it is hard to keep up with. One of my best friends is a die-hard Bruce fan and he's always listening to something new. That is the thing. So many artists do what many of us here on this board want Garth to do. As I've said before, check out the Metallica box sets around each album or the Eric Church 61 Days in Church set with 160 live tracks from his 2017 tour. Again, if those artists can do that Garth can too. That's the thing, he won't. Instead he peddles the same thing to us while teasing a "bonus track" that ends up being something that has been available for 21 years. Or we get a live Anthology with just Double Live and Triple Live.
    honestly, I'm not a fan of the "garth should do it, other's do" argument a lot of the time, because Garth's never been one to do things the normal way... but in this case? I'm willing to adjust my stance in the nature.. there is more he could do to broaden his impact in the live/rarity release department...

Again, I don't feel I'm mean. I feel like I try to be the opposite. I try to be very measured and thoughtful in my responses. I have a real reason for my frustration and I don't think that is because I'm not supportive of Garth. My 50+ concerts and entire shelf with as many as 12 copies of one album would actually say otherwise.
    my wish to be at more than the 9 concerts I'm currently standing at, and my collection of Garth stuff (mostly audio/video!) agree with ya!!

I just don't think it is too much to ask for him to stop trying to sell No Fences and start giving us new music or things from the vault that are "new" product.
    ****sigh I feel like I'm repeating myself but.....***

AMEN!!! ABSOLUTELY!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Then honestly, why still be a fan of his if you are always feeling disappointed? Just enjoy what he's done in the past and move on.

Then honestly, why still be a fan of his if you are always feeling disappointed? Just enjoy what he's done in the past and move on.
    "Kiteo, his eyes closed" ...... (Tamarian language, from Star Trek)

garthcop, I have to ask then...

who's more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

at what point does the pedestal break, the blinders come off, and the reality that someone can be incredible, and still make mistakes become real to you / to others?

Or do you believe that you should support everything the artist does regardless, if you are a fan?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    "Kiteo, his eyes closed" ...... (Tamarian language, from Star Trek)

garthcop, I have to ask then...

who's more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

at what point does the pedestal break, the blinders come off, and the reality that someone can be incredible, and still make mistakes become real to you / to others?

Or do you believe that you should support everything the artist does regardless, if you are a fan?
    What's he doing that is so outrageous?? Granted, he hasn't lived up to the expectations we might have had coming out of retirement. But we remember why we liked him in the first place and adjust. Because we are fans. It's hard to tell who is and who isnt a fan on here sometimes. It's fine be disappointed here and there. But what's the purpose on going on and on about it. I remember following this site closely in the 90s and it was always full of exciting news and optimism. Especially when all the Chris Gaines stuff was happening. We were excited! But now mostly what you get on here is griping and moaning. Why not make this a real fan site that gives people reason to follow it. Express some disappointment some of the time, but talk more about the things he is doing and be excited about it. That's what I miss!!

What's he doing that is so outrageous??
    not saying I didn't because i'm sure its possible I did, but who said anything about 'outrageous'?

Granted, he hasn't lived up to the expectations we might have had coming out of retirement.
    actually, I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I will the main hope I really had in him coming back was recording/releasing new music.. he's done that... (to a point ) so my "expectations" were met..

But we remember why we liked him in the first place and adjust. Because we are fans.
    perhaps.. For me, I lost the 'blinders' a long time ago, so it's not simply a matter of remembering and adjusting... It's a matter of seeing the truth of the man and being able to identify / see mistakes Garth as made for what they are.. mistakes..

It's hard to tell who is and who isnt a fan on here sometimes.
    Well, since you didn't really answer, let me say it again....

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise
    It's fine be disappointed here and there.
    very true.. being happy and being upset w/ the focus of one's fandom are both ok really...

I remember following this site closely in the 90s and it was always full of exciting news and optimism.
    Can't speak totally for the site back in THAT time as I technically didn't join until I think it was sometime in the leadup to Scarecrow's release.. I will say this much though.. there was a fair amount of exciting news and optimism at the time i joined too. There was a lot.. There were also some who spent the majority of their time talking about Garth in a physical sense, etc.. it was rather well, off putting at times..

]Especially when all the Chris Gaines stuff was happening. We were excited! But now mostly what you get on here is griping and moaning. Why not make this a real fan site that gives people reason to follow it. Express some disappointment some of the time, but talk more about the things he is doing and be excited about it. That's what I miss!!
    Ahh, so you are then suggesting that you have to or need to be positive and excited and happy about whatever Garth is doing? you should not really share your displeasure with what garth does, is that the main idea then?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

It's a fair question and I'll answer it.

Have you ever had a close family member or friend disappoint you? What did you do? Did you quit, give up on them and remember the glory days of the past? Or did you know that the person that you once remembered was in there somewhere and you hoped that they would find themselves and get back on track?

Me, I'm loyal to a fault. I will give people chance after chance to recover from mistakes they've made or the disappointments I have in them.

I believe that the Garth of the 90s is in there. I believe he can give every single one of us what we are hoping for and wanting. That is why I'm here and that is why I continue to follow his career.

Just as you struggle to understand why some of us are frustrated with the way he does things, I struggle to understand why others aren't frustrated. Serious question, have you bought every single release he has put out dating back to his first album? If so, does it not frustrate you at all that you have bought the same albums at minumum 4-5 times?

One other quick point. I feel like this is kind of minimizing what we are saying. Honestly, the ONLY THING I’m really disappointed in is the constant peddling of old music again and again. I LOVED the tour, thought both new albums were pretty good and was pleasantly surprised in the Anthology (except for Double Live and Triple Live being included). It’s not like everything is negative from my perspective. There are a lot of positive things. I’m not the one living in the past, Garth is.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    It's a fair question and I'll answer it.

Have you ever had a close family member or friend disappoint you? What did you do? Did you quit, give up on them and remember the glory days of the past? Or did you know that the person that you once remembered was in there somewhere and you hoped that they would find themselves and get back on track?

Me, I'm loyal to a fault. I will give people chance after chance to recover from mistakes they've made or the disappointments I have in them.

I believe that the Garth of the 90s is in there. I believe he can give every single one of us what we are hoping for and wanting. That is why I'm here and that is why I continue to follow his career.

Just as you struggle to understand why some of us are frustrated with the way he does things, I struggle to understand why others aren't frustrated. Serious question, have you bought every single release he has put out dating back to his first album? If so, does it not frustrate you at all that you have bought the same albums at minumum 4-5 times?
    Ryan- you have done it AGAIN!!!

Honestly.. I dont' wanna try topping that cause I can't.. you have posted wisely! (thanks for sharing it!)

***addendum**** - Garthcop- I want to publicly apologize for what may be seen as a negative post towards you in this thread.. I can't delete it now and I've had a bit goign on in my world tonight that clouded the way I responded- if I was angry/came across about things as such, I apologize- Ryan had a much more appropriate response just above... I second his response

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Great imformation from everyone. So the question now is how does Garth attract the newer potential fan and get them to sample the old music? You can crow about ITunes and You Tube so you can rip the song etc but a majority of people don't listen to music that way. Even spotify only has 1/3 of the country enrolled counting businesses. Not everyone can get a ticket to a show or he doesn't play near them. How do they discover Garth? Radio barely plays his music, new and old and people aren't listening to radio either so how do new fans get his music old and new. I am not frustrated by having more than one copy of a cd. I also have a minimum of 2 covers of each cd, not the cd, the covers. Some I actually have more. I have 25th anniversary covers, Capital covers, Pearl record covers. When Garth was at the top in the 90's and I was making better money I bought friends around 400 copies of Garth cds. I kept receipts, had a list so I wouldn't duplicate a cd and I even have over seas cds of the same stuff. But the way the music business is done has changed. We can adapt or try to stay the course. Sure vinyl isn't a major thing but downloading is way down, streaming is up and vinyl is catching on a little at a time. What I was trying to get across in my post is, don't buy the rereleased stuff, borrow the cd or whatever, do what you do to get a copy of the music you don't have. I know Garth wants a sale but a couple songs isn't going to be a bummer. Our country is so negative now. I want to enjoy my music and Garth. If I want negative I can turn on TV or read friends Facebook stuff. I come to Planet Garth to talk about Garth, his old and new music, and past Garth stuff. I don't want to read negative stuff. That is why I enjoy the Garth page on Facebook. It is concert stories, talk about new music, fan stuff. I don't recall seeing negative stuff. Maybe Garth is slow to adapt but that is his business. It is his music and he offers it in his way. Maybe if you didn't buy it, then he would change, who is to know. Maybe he will change once he reaches his goals. Or maybe he reads all this negative stuff and he will concentrate on Trisha's career and release music with her, lots of duets. :-)

So essentially you're saying people should just blindly follow and agree with everything he does. That's not the way it works.

I guess so. He isn't a politician working on world peace and gun control. He's a country music singer. I know people who are still fans of Elvis, the Beatles and Frank Sinatra. They are just singers and you follow them. If they do something you don't like you quit following them if it bothers you so much. Garth is a FUN part of my life. I like talking about him, buting his music (old and new) and listening to him on disc or concert. He is like my loyalty to the Green Bay Packers. I hate when they lose but I am not going to quit watching them. They make calls, plays trades I don't agree with but I still watch their games and buy shirts and stuff. I don't expect the Packers to solve the world problems but I want Rodgers to score a hundred TD's. So its the way it works sounds like a wrong thing to say. We are fans of a country singer not JFK. He's human. If I don't like a presidential candidate then I choose to vote for someone else. That I think is a better was to talk about follow someone blindly. Garth sings songs, entertains me and I will follow him. If ever he does something that bothers me very badly, maybe I will quit listening to him. I quit listening to Toby Keith because of his negativity towards a fellow artist. I didn't go on country sites and rag on him. I just quit buying his music and watching him on TV. So yes I will follow him blindly as long as he gives me joy. As I said, he isn't a world leader, just a country singer and I can choose to listen or not. As far as agree with what he does, that is his business. He can run his business any way he wants. Again if you don't agree with his business practice, don't buy. I barely enter a Target or Wal Mart anymore. I hate self check out and they push that on people and help companies put people out of jobs. I am here to listen to Garths music old and new. I love Man Against Machine as much as I love Garth Brooks. Sure I want new music but I amcontent to enjoy what he gives me.

I guess so. He isn't a politician working on world peace and gun control. He's a country music singer. I know people who are still fans of Elvis, the Beatles and Frank Sinatra. They are just singers and you follow them. If they do something you don't like you quit following them if it bothers you so much. Garth is a FUN part of my life. I like talking about him, buting his music (old and new) and listening to him on disc or concert. He is like my loyalty to the Green Bay Packers. I hate when they lose but I am not going to quit watching them. They make calls, plays trades I don't agree with but I still watch their games and buy shirts and stuff. I don't expect the Packers to solve the world problems but I want Rodgers to score a hundred TD's. So its the way it works sounds like a wrong thing to say. We are fans of a country singer not JFK. He's human. If I don't like a presidential candidate then I choose to vote for someone else. That I think is a better was to talk about follow someone blindly. Garth sings songs, entertains me and I will follow him. If ever he does something that bothers me very badly, maybe I will quit listening to him. I quit listening to Toby Keith because of his negativity towards a fellow artist. I didn't go on country sites and rag on him. I just quit buying his music and watching him on TV. So yes I will follow him blindly as long as he gives me joy. As I said, he isn't a world leader, just a country singer and I can choose to listen or not. As far as agree with what he does, that is his business. He can run his business any way he wants. Again if you don't agree with his business practice, don't buy. I barely enter a Target or Wal Mart anymore. I hate self check out and they push that on people and help companies put people out of jobs. I am here to listen to Garths music old and new. I love Man Against Machine as much as I love Garth Brooks. Sure I want new music but I amcontent to enjoy what he gives me.
    People are entitled to have an opinion and express it as they see fit. I'm sorry but if you don't like someone posting something negative, then you can just don't read it. It's worked for me.

Love ya Passion for Garth!

Skywise,
    Nothing to apologize though. Thanks though.
    As far supporting an artist, what does that mean? This isn't politics? I'm not out campaigning for Garth to decide run for office. I am a fan. Everyone who knows me knows that about me. I've never been asked if I support Garth. Maybe I've been asked if I like his new stuff, etc. But support is a political question. So, I think it's kind of an irrelevant question. I'm just a fan. You know have to be excited about everything he does. But here's the point, when you came to this site in the 90s, people were super excited. You didn't see all this negativity. And he didn't do everything great in the 90s. But we didn't care. We just enjoyed what we got. It was natural excitement, not constant complaining.

rhd13,
    I became hardcore fan in junior high, right before he released The Chase. From that point on I've bought everything. So, no I'm not frustrated, because he has a track record of doing this and I simply don't have to buy everything if I don't want to. That's something you can choose not to do but still be a fan.

Great imformation from everyone. So the question now is how does Garth attract the newer potential fan and get them to sample the old music? You can crow about ITunes and You Tube so you can rip the song etc but a majority of people don't listen to music that way. Even spotify only has 1/3 of the country enrolled counting businesses. Not everyone can get a ticket to a show or he doesn't play near them. How do they discover Garth? Radio barely plays his music, new and old and people aren't listening to radio either so how do new fans get his music old and new. I am not frustrated by having more than one copy of a cd. I also have a minimum of 2 covers of each cd, not the cd, the covers. Some I actually have more. I have 25th anniversary covers, Capital covers, Pearl record covers. When Garth was at the top in the 90's and I was making better money I bought friends around 400 copies of Garth cds. I kept receipts, had a list so I wouldn't duplicate a cd and I even have over seas cds of the same stuff. But the way the music business is done has changed. We can adapt or try to stay the course. Sure vinyl isn't a major thing but downloading is way down, streaming is up and vinyl is catching on a little at a time. What I was trying to get across in my post is, don't buy the rereleased stuff, borrow the cd or whatever, do what you do to get a copy of the music you don't have. I know Garth wants a sale but a couple songs isn't going to be a bummer. Our country is so negative now. I want to enjoy my music and Garth. If I want negative I can turn on TV or read friends Facebook stuff. I come to Planet Garth to talk about Garth, his old and new music, and past Garth stuff. I don't want to read negative stuff. That is why I enjoy the Garth page on Facebook. It is concert stories, talk about new music, fan stuff. I don't recall seeing negative stuff. Maybe Garth is slow to adapt but that is his business. It is his music and he offers it in his way. Maybe if you didn't buy it, then he would change, who is to know. Maybe he will change once he reaches his goals. Or maybe he reads all this negative stuff and he will concentrate on Trisha's career and release music with her, lots of duets. :-)
    Exactly! I'm part of a couple of FB Garth fan groups. YOU DON'T SEE THIS NEGATIVITY ON THOSE SITES! It's all upbeat and excitement. Yes, some stuff people post make you roll your eyes because they are new fans and haven't paid attention to to things before asking their questions. But you don't feel beat down or ticked when you come away from them, like you do here sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    So essentially you're saying people should just blindly follow and agree with everything he does. That's not the way it works.
    What is this, a religion? Of course not!

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    People are entitled to have an opinion and express it as they see fit. I'm sorry but if you don't like someone posting something negative, then you can just don't read it. It's worked for me.
    And it's getting old having to filter everything out whenever you are coming here to get away from things to enjoy new with your fellow Garth fans.

And here is an example. Last week I posted that Dive Bar was up 3 spots on the charts. The response....crickets. It's like nobody wants to be excited about anything he does. In the past there would have been at least one person saying "Awesome...can't wait to see what it does next week". But, it seems people made up their mind they don't like Dive Bar or anything else Garth will do until they get a certain quality they are looking for from the 90s. BTW, Dive Bar is really good once you get hooked on it. My 19 month dances hard to it everytime I play it.

+ Reply to Thread