+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 98

Thread: Fun to be released End of Summer/Start of Autumn

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    rhd13,
    I became hardcore fan in junior high, right before he released The Chase. From that point on I've bought everything. So, no I'm not frustrated, because he has a track record of doing this and I simply don't have to buy everything if I don't want to. That's something you can choose not to do but still be a fan.
    Fair enough. I obviously get you can be a fan without having everything. However, that is where we are different I guess. I want every song Garth releases and it’s not possible to do that (at least not legally) without purchasing some of these sets. That’s just the way Garth has designed it.

    I’m sorry you feel some of us have made this a negative place. I’ve talked plenty about really positive stuff and being excited. As I’ve said before, ENORMOUS difference between just being mean/critical/negative and having thoughtful legitimate criticism. Oh well, guess not everyone sees it that way.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Exactly! I'm part of a couple of FB Garth fan groups. YOU DON'T SEE THIS NEGATIVITY ON THOSE SITES! It's all upbeat and excitement. Yes, some stuff people post make you roll your eyes because they are new fans and haven't paid attention to to things before asking their questions. But you don't feel beat down or ticked when you come away from them, like you do here sometimes.

    You don’t see that on other sites because they literally silence voices they don’t agree with.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I guess so. He isn't a politician working on world peace and gun control. He's a country music singer. I know people who are still fans of Elvis, the Beatles and Frank Sinatra. They are just singers and you follow them. If they do something you don't like you quit following them if it bothers you so much. Garth is a FUN part of my life. I like talking about him, buting his music (old and new) and listening to him on disc or concert. He is like my loyalty to the Green Bay Packers. I hate when they lose but I am not going to quit watching them. They make calls, plays trades I don't agree with but I still watch their games and buy shirts and stuff. I don't expect the Packers to solve the world problems but I want Rodgers to score a hundred TD's. So its the way it works sounds like a wrong thing to say. We are fans of a country singer not JFK. He's human. If I don't like a presidential candidate then I choose to vote for someone else. That I think is a better was to talk about follow someone blindly. Garth sings songs, entertains me and I will follow him. If ever he does something that bothers me very badly, maybe I will quit listening to him. I quit listening to Toby Keith because of his negativity towards a fellow artist. I didn't go on country sites and rag on him. I just quit buying his music and watching him on TV. So yes I will follow him blindly as long as he gives me joy. As I said, he isn't a world leader, just a country singer and I can choose to listen or not. As far as agree with what he does, that is his business. He can run his business any way he wants. Again if you don't agree with his business practice, don't buy. I barely enter a Target or Wal Mart anymore. I hate self check out and they push that on people and help companies put people out of jobs. I am here to listen to Garths music old and new. I love Man Against Machine as much as I love Garth Brooks. Sure I want new music but I amcontent to enjoy what he gives me.
    I could say I'm puzzled by your response... but I'm not- it's not the fist time I've seen that type of fandom...

    My thought on it this morning- kinda along the lines Ryan was posting.. Garth's a part of who I am (at least musically..) I've never... NEVER had the connection with another artist or music like I have with his music. It's far more than just being one who likes what they put out, and listens.. It's a bit more than 'being a fan' like I am of the Broncos and Rockies. I know Garth's not a politician and not working on solving the worlds' problems for certain... that might cause issue in fandom..

    Not gonna go too far in depth with things as it's in the past, but are you referring to TK and the DC spat from the last decade, or another artist?

    It's also not that straight forward with things garth wise when it comes to buying music. There are a few artists, a very few (Garth tops, then Billy Joel, KISS, Weird Al, and Steven Curtis Chapman, and Apologetix, a Christian parody group) with me where I'll buy anything the put out..

    He isn't a world leader, but he's a 'musical leader' as it were..

    btw- I agree w/ the self checkout thing- I can't stand it normally, I think it's ruining jobs and taking away the interaction between store and customer which is def a sad thing
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Skywise,....
    As far supporting an artist, what does that mean?
    Good question I suppose.. for me? supporting an artist is listening to their music, buying their releases, going to see them in shows, etc. Talking about them, enjoying what they have put out... all of it and more.. for me? it's also knowing what I can about Garth (though admittedly I've slacked in this area as Iv'e aged in my fandom) and it's collecting (for me audio/video mostly) though that has also wained as technology has changed...

    .....I am a fan. Everyone who knows me knows that about me. I've never been asked if I support Garth. Maybe I've been asked if I like his new stuff, etc. But support is a political question. So, I think it's kind of an irrelevant question. I'm just a fan.
    I don't know offhand whether or not to say you missed the point of my question or sidestepped it.. But then it could be as simple as having a different definition of 'supporting' an artist..

    You know have to be excited about everything he does.
    and that's exactly how some of the criticisms he has received should be looked at perhaps.. people aren't excited about something he's done.. people aren't blindly following.

    But here's the point, when you came to this site in the 90s, people were super excited. You didn't see all this negativity. And he didn't do everything great in the 90s. But we didn't care. We just enjoyed what we got. It was natural excitement, not constant complaining.
    Garth didn't do everything great in the 90s perhaps.. I can see your point here.. in the 90s people may have been super excited, but Garth was also 'newer'.. Country was exploding all around.. we (fans) were younger.. Garth was younger- everything was younger/newer.. the rose colored era, as it were.. speaking for myself, I was into the collecting, loving the music, and yeah- garth could do no wrong- I was idolizing him more than being a fan/showing my support... for ME, the final straw into objectivity was the debacle of the way he handled his retirement..


    thing is, through all my fandom (stretching on now just shy of 30 years I guess) its never been constant complaining.. even in my 'woke' era of fandom (sorry had to chuckle at using that word) it's still not constant complaining.. anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge garth fan. I'll still support / buy anything he puts out (hence my buying a $100 vinyl set I have no way to play or spending $600 or more to go to Indiana for the Notre Dame concert which would be broadcast 2 months later on TV)... I still read/learn anything about him I can. I just don't have the blinders on anymore is all....I can see what he is as a person and an artist, and separate the two sometimes...

    rhd13,
    I became hardcore fan in junior high, right before he released The Chase. From that point on I've bought everything. So, no I'm not frustrated, because he has a track record of doing this and I simply don't have to buy everything if I don't want to. That's something you can choose not to do but still be a fan.
    Dang, my hardcore fandom started in the run of No Fences (the first album I bought from Garth) but with every album since (from RTW on) Iv'e bought first day available, or midnight purchase if possible. every set, every cd, dvd, you name it- I agree you can choose to not buy and still be a fan.. me? my fandom involves having everything he's put out that I can get my hands on.
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Exactly! I'm part of a couple of FB Garth fan groups. YOU DON'T SEE THIS NEGATIVITY ON THOSE SITES! It's all upbeat and excitement. Yes, some stuff people post make you roll your eyes because they are new fans and haven't paid attention to to things before asking their questions. But you don't feel beat down or ticked when you come away from them, like you do here sometimes.
    Yep you roll your eyes sometimes, certainly.. some of hte questions are great, some are not.. Some of hte posts are great, some are not.. Some of the interactions in other groups for Garth are great, some are not. There are some great people in positions of admin, and some tools.. (I like the admin here ) .

    what's in some of the FB groups though.... well it's not 'the planet' as it were... at least to me

    What is this, a religion? Of course not!
    very true- Garth's just as fallen and sinful as we all are, though there are some in the larger garth fandom world who still idolize him and put him up on a pedestal where he is almost 'revered ' when that isn't right either

    And here is an example. Last week I posted that Dive Bar was up 3 spots on the charts. The response....crickets. It's like nobody wants to be excited about anything he does. In the past there would have been at least one person saying "Awesome...can't wait to see what it does next week". But, it seems people made up their mind they don't like Dive Bar or anything else Garth will do until they get a certain quality they are looking for from the 90s. BTW, Dive Bar is really good once you get hooked on it. My 19 month dances hard to it everytime I play it.
    ya see when I read things like this, its' to me like people on youtube complaining about views. are you making the post to get recognition for yourself or for garth or something else? At least with me, I can't speak for others.. I find the #'s intriguing, but I don't care about the placement of a song on the charts week by week anymore as much. I'm excited plenty about things Garth does (ask my family, who literally had to endure me stopping something mid conversation last night so I could come up and capture / download the youtube video of garth's bakersfield show this week). Personally? I love Dive bar... didn't think I would , but I do- I just am not a slave to the #'s of it's crawl. Country radio isn't playing it... at least not here.. I don't have the garth channel everywhere I go, only in one car..

    I’m sorry you feel some of us have made this a negative place. I’ve talked plenty about really positive stuff and being excited. As I’ve said before, ENORMOUS difference between just being mean/critical/negative and having thoughtful legitimate criticism. Oh well, guess not everyone sees it that way.
    ........
    You don’t see that on other sites because they literally silence voices they don’t agree with.
    exactly Ryan- here at the planet all diff. viewpoints on Garth seem to be welcome, and even those who 'complain' don't seem to be anti garth- if we were we would have left...

    for me it's not a matter of complaining, it's a matter of objectivity in my fandom (as my signature has stated for a while.)

    but then again, that is just me
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    788
    I'm very hesitant to post again in this thread because I feel like sometimes I just need to be quiet. However, I'm going to tell on myself.

    It's funny, we go through this cycle on this board every so often. Those of us who don't praise every move Garth makes get fussed on, told we are not "real fans", told we don't have to buy the box (I've explained a dozen times why I still buy the boxes), and told how negative we are.

    Every time that happens I take a step back and try to honestly assess am I being some awful, terrible, negative person. I am a mental health therapist so I work with people every day and my job requires that I be a people person, be kind, stay positive, connect with people, etc. I also have no problem stepping back and honestly assessing myself.

    The best way I know to honestly look at myself in this scenario (when it comes to frustration with Garth releases) is to look at how I respond to my favorite rock act which I follow just as closely as Garth, that would be Metallica. Just like Garth, over the last several years they have released a box set yearly.

    What is my reaction for their release, which is actually a deluxe edition of an old album. Well, at this very moment I could not be more excited for them to announce this year's box set. The reason? Well, I know there will probably be at least 2 full concerts on DVD that I've never seen before. There will probably be at least 2 CDs of outtakes, demos and B-sides with most (if not all) of material I've never heard. There will probably be at least 2 CDs worth of live shows. All of that material from the time period that the box set is covering. I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs almost salivating thinking about what will be in it.

    When Garth announces a box set my first thought is always, "I wonder if there will be anything I don't already have." And if there is it is usually a very small amount. Which, since I want all his tracks, I will end up buying it.

    My point in saying this is really simple and I think it is how most who complain feel. The things we'd all love to see are not unrealistic. As a matter of fact, at times Garth has given us the impression we are getting things we want. Who didn't think when the Live Anthology was announced that, based on Garth's hype, there would be NO NEW MUSIC in it?

    As I've said many times, I think it is a difference in philosophy. Garth is so interested in the "casual fan" that he doesn't really care about putting out product that attracts the more "loyal fan". The Metallica boxes are designed for those "loyal fans" that want more than just the studio album. Obviously, I'm wrong to some degree about Garth's strategy because clearly some don't care to buy their 7th copy of No Fences. I, however, am just disappointed that there is little for the person that has really invested in his career like many of us have.

    When it was asked if I'm always disappointed, why do I stay. Well, for starters my fandom has definitely changed. I definitely feel differently than I did and although I've been around lately I actually have gone long stretches (of several months) not visiting. The other thing is I still hold out some hope that Garth will change the backwards, stuck in the past way of doing things.

    I WANT to support Garth. I WANT to feel the excitement I once felt. I WANT to always be glowingly positive. I just can't really do that as I get ready to get a box set that (with the exception of Triple Live) has nothing newer than 1998 in it.
    Last edited by rhd13; 08-19-2019 at 10:08 AM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LA/Long Beach area
    Posts
    2,010
    I discovered Garth in the summer of 89. I loved Much To Young and it fit my mood at the time. I was depressed over turning 30 and 31 wasn't looking any better. I have been loyal to other artists over the year and still buy their music ( The Osmonds, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna). But I heard something in Garth's song that hit me. I didn't buy his album right away. I didn't want to invest in another singer. But a friend gave me a gift certificate for Tower records for my birthday and I decided to go and redeem it. I was standing in Tower and they actually had Garth on an end cap. I stood there for awhile deciding if I really wanted the album for one song. Finally, I took the chance. I picked up the cd and cassette. My car was still cassette and I had cd player at home. I started playing the cassette on the way home and I was sold. I went to work the next day raving about this new country singer. My friends weren't big country fans except for Randy Travis so they said cool. I played the cd for them at a bar b que and they liked what they heard. So for birthdays and Christmas, I started buying Garth for my friends. I forgot to say when I heard the Dance I was amazed. So my friends humored me but they did like the cd. So I began my love affair for Garth and his music. He helped me through a time where I was questioning what I was doing and other things. I began saving articles on Garth. Like I said before, I saved receipts from every album I bought and wrote everyone I bought a album for down on a list. My friends really fell in love with him with his tv special later on. I saw him play in concert with the Judds and Pirates of the Mississippi. I didn't even want to stay for Judds after seeing Garth but my date made me. So I get a little defensive when people get negative towards Garth. And I was in pr for a few years and understand an artist isn't perfect. But I also understand it is business. He can do what he wants. I buy books and music from Amazon since we don't have a book store or record shop in town. I don't like what Amazon does sometimes but it is my place to buy books and music. I guess what I am saying is, great you are unhappy with the way Garth does some things. He hasn't changed yet. I understand the need to vent. But every single time someone mentions a re release. We get it. You want new music less re releases. But you don't hit us over the head with it. Write Garth;s company. Venting to us isn't going to change things. Why try to bring us down when we are excited about whatever he is releasing. I became a collector along the way. I have so much music of Garth's I can't even keep it on shelves anymore. I still buy his stuff for friends and keep a list. But I enjoy the old and new stuff and the first editions, different covers and even the comilation albums that have a Garth song on. I do understand what people are saying but I am saying I heard you and I don't need to be hit over the head and I am sure others don't need to be hit over the head everytime he re releases something. :-)

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    . I understand the need to vent. But every single time someone mentions a re release. We get it. You want new music less re releases. But you don't hit us over the head with it. Write Garth;s company. Venting to us isn't going to change things. Why try to bring us down when we are excited about whatever he is releasing. ...... and I am sure others don't need to be hit over the head everytime he re releases something. :-)
    This sums up my point as well. An expressed disappointment here and there...ok, I get it. But just not with everything old or new he releases all the time. Some of us like everything he's doing and just choose not to spend money on his stuff if we don't want to.

    And, replying to Skywise, I'm super excited about his numbers. It's not about getting attention. I want to see my favorite artist get as many number 1s as he can! Ok. So, what should we expect on Studio G tonight

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    It's funny, we go through this cycle on this board every so often. Those of us who don't praise every move Garth makes get fussed on, told we are not "real fans", told we don't have to buy the box (I've explained a dozen times why I still buy the boxes), and told how negative we are.
    that is true..

    Every time that happens I take a step back and try to honestly assess am I being some awful, terrible, negative person. I am a mental health therapist so I work with people every day and my job requires that I be a people person, be kind, stay positive, connect with people, etc. I also have no problem stepping back and honestly assessing myself.
    I need to do something similar- at times I have, usually when I’m forced Into not replying off the cuff, which has at times gotten me ‘in trouble’. I have always worn my emotions on my sleeve and my fandoms as well. Some on PG (garthmedic I’m looking at you spud!) know this better than others

    The best way I know to honestly look at myself in this scenario (when it comes to frustration with Garth releases) is to look at how I respond to my favorite rock act which I follow just as closely as Garth, that would be Metallica. Just like Garth, over the last several years they have released a box set yearly.
    good point- I’ve done (to a point) similar with Garth and KISS (it’s kinda funny and eerie at times how their careers have paralleled each other- (talk about them influencing him! )

    When Garth announces a box set my first thought is always, "I wonder if there will be anything I don't already have." At if there is it is usually a very small amount. Which, since I want all his tracks, I will end up buying it.
    that’s kinda what I was thinking when I dropped the $100 on the vinyl set, knowing I’d never be playing the actual vinyl itself…. It’ll go straight to collection ….

    As I've said many times, I think it is a different in philosophy. Garth is so interested in the "casual fan" that he doesn't really care about putting out product that attracts the more "loyal fan". Obviously, I'm wrong to some degree because clearly some don't care to buy their 7th copy of No Fences. I, however, am just disappointed that there is little for the person that has really invested in his career like many of us have.
    That may be the tipping point into objectivity for some. The balance of appealing to the hard core/long time/loyal/ invested fan, and the ‘casual’ fan who hears ‘FILP’ at a show or online and barely knows who is singing.. (but then again, what makes casual fan vs what makes a ‘hard core’ fan…. Hmmm I feel a thread coming up)

    When it was asked if I'm always disappointed, why do I stay. Well, for starters my fandom has definitely changed. I definitely feel differently than I did and although I've been around lately I actually have gone long stretches (of several months) not visiting. The other thing is I still hold out some hope that Garth will change the backwards, stuck in the past way of doing things.
    …. Amen to that.. my fandom has def. changed as well.. Even in collecting- I want to keep going with collecting but it’s not as important to have ‘every live show’ I can of Garth anymore.. it’s just not…

    I WANT to support Garth. I WANT to feel the excitement I once felt. I WANT to always be glowingly positive. I just can't really do that as I get ready to get a box set that (with the exception of Triple Live) has nothing newer than 1998 in it.
    . I could be snarky- but no- you again spoke wise words Ryan!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,731
    This isn't a super active board. There's only a few of us who post regularly. So there should be no doubt that those of us who are here ALL absolutely LOVE Garth Brooks!

    We LOVE almost every song. Garth speaks to us. His music lights up our life. It makes us happy!! His concerts, unparalleled! His attitude about life, uplifting! His example on how to be a parent, excellent!!

    So why do some of us get so negative sometimes? It's BECAUSE of that love. We are SOOOO dedicated that we want every single song. We want to hear every possible note. We are NOT causal fans! If Garth were to sing deep cuts like Night Rider's Lament, Rodeo or Mexico, or Please Operator at a concert, we'd flip out and get strange looks from those around us wondering how we knew all the words. The average fan would head for the beer line. Not us!! We are NOT the average fan.

    So again, why are we so negative sometimes? There are many reasons that have been expressed time and time again, so there's no need to retread them now. But I think the heart of it is that we WANT him to succeed. We WANT him to be on as many radio stations as possible. We want everyone else to love him the way we do. That's why we want him on iTunes, and Spotify, and Pandora. So we can share him with new fans. We can't just hand them a CD because they'll look at us funny.

    We also want them to love him for the same reason we do, for the music and the songs and the shows. So they can get enthralled by the stories of In Lonesome Dove and Ireland. So they can enjoy the tongue in cheekiness of It's Midnight Cinderella, Kickin & Screamin, and Nobody Gets Off in This Town. We want them to cry with us when we sing The Change. We wants folks to remember Garth Brooks for the songs, the music, and the way that music and his concerts touch our souls.

    Here's what we don't want. We don't want Garth to be remembered for numbers. We love Garth because of the way he's touched our souls. Not because he has 7 Diamond awards. When people think of Queen, they think of Freddy Mercury's insane talent and they think of songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. They don't say, Queen was great because they shipped XX amount of units to record stores.

    Garth is no doubt one of the all-time GREATS!! But it seems to some of us that for all the talk about the music, Garth has become an artist obsessed with numbers. And NOT necessarily sales numbers, but shipment numbers, which seem artificial. To some of us, that focus, that unending drive, that singular mission for Diamond awards, for RIAA shipment numbers, etc. almost cheapens our experience with Garth. Numbers are so impersonal. They don't emote anything. They speak to the brain, not the heart or the soul. They aren't something that anyone wants to share with friends.

    When was the last time you told a friend, "hey, do you know why I love Garth Brooks, it's because he has 7 Diamond Awards," or "I really love Garth Brooks because he has shipped more units to record stores than any other solo artist in history." No!!! We tell people, I love Garth Brooks because of the songs themselves and the experiences we have at concerts.

    I get that Garth measures his success by the numbers. It's just the way he thinks. I guess some of us just hoped that when Garth came back from Retirement, he would be focused on the future, not obsessed with building the legacy of his past.

    I've rambled on a lot. I have a lot more to say, but if anyone is still even reading this, then I won't bore you. But let me say this. I am personally sorry for being one of the negative folks around here lately. Like Ryan said, I feel my critiques are absolutely 100% legitimate and warranted, and in no way am I trying to be mean-spirited or negative for the sake of being negative. That said, it kills the fun of things to read the critical stuff over and over again. So I'll personally try to refrain from being so vocal about my frustrations.

    One thing is for sure, when Fun eventually comes, I'll love it. When the expanded Triple Live arrives, I'll enjoy the heck out it. I will always be grateful that he did come back after retirement, and that we now have BIAOMR, MAM, GS, and TL to add to our already amazing collections of songs. When "What Gave Me Away" comes out this month on Trisha's new album, I'll love that one too. Because again, what I love about Garth Brooks has nothing to do with numbers. It's about that voice, those songs, and that feeling of excitement you get when you first hear a new Garth Brooks song.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 08-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    And, replying to Skywise, I'm super excited about his numbers. It's not about getting attention. I want to see my favorite artist get as many number 1s as he can! Ok. So, what should we expect on Studio G tonight
    fair 'nough.. I was just curious ( a terminal habit for me), as the way I read the post it was like "I posted about this ,and no one cared to respond.."

    I would love for Garth to get all the #1's and numbers he can too.. I realize that sounds contradictory to some- my Garth fandom is nothing if not complex/weird...

    For me, Garth going after sales #s is ok- heck I'd love to see No fences or another Garth album dethrone the Eagles as the top album... Anything that gets Garth in the news is something I get excited for.. I don't get all the ins and outs of the #'s all the time (I have quirks in my fandom but I don't get into that detail wise)..

    as for ISG tonight? I suspect we'll get a bit about Bakersfield, a bit about vinyl, perhaps a mention of the next city for the dive bar mini tour, and as a long shot- perhaps talking about the next city for the tour, or more as to why he won't be giving it out, as TY is set to begin a tour soon I think.. stuff like that

    feels like a fluff week if I'm being honest.. would love to have an ask garth get through about the bonus songs and if they're really just the 1998 released additional songs but that would never make it to garth's ears...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    This isn't a super active board. There's only a few of us who post regularly. So there should be no doubt that those of us who are here ALL absolutely LOVE Garth Brooks!

    We LOVE almost every song. Garth speaks to us. His music lights up our life. It makes us happy!! His concerts, unparalleled! His attitude about life, uplifting! His example on how to be a parent, excellent!!

    So why do some of us get so negative sometimes? It's BECAUSE of that love. We are SOOOO dedicated that we want every single song. We want to hear every possible note. We are NOT causal fans! If Garth were to sing deep cuts like Night Rider's Lament, Rodeo or Mexico, or Please Operator at a concert, we'd flip out and get strange looks from those around us wondering how we knew all the words. The average fan would head for the beer line. Not us!! We are NOT the average fan.

    So again, why are we so negative sometimes? There are many reasons that have been expressed time and time again, so there's no need to retread them now. But I think the heart of it is that we WANT him to succeed. We WANT him to be on as many radio stations as possible. We want everyone else to love him the way we do. That's why we want him on iTunes, and Spotify, and Pandora. So we can share him with new fans. We can't just hand them a CD because they'll look at us funny.

    We also want them to love him for the same reason we do, for the music and the songs and the shows. So they can get enthralled by the stories of In Lonesome Dove and Ireland. So they can enjoy the tongue in cheekiness of It's Midnight Cinderella, Kickin & Screamin, and Nobody Gets Off in This Town. We want them to cry with us when we sing The Change. We wants folks to remember Garth Brooks for the songs, the music, and the way that music and his concerts touch our souls.

    Here's what we don't want. We don't want Garth to be remembered for numbers. We love Garth because of the way he's touched our souls. Not because he has 7 Diamond awards. When people think of Queen, they think of Freddy Mercury's insane talent and they think of songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. They don't say, Queen was great because they shipped XX amount of units to record stores.

    Garth is no doubt one of the all-time GREATS!! But it seems to some of us that for all the talk about the music, Garth has become an artist obsessed with numbers. And NOT necessarily sales numbers, but shipment numbers, which seem artificial. To some of us, that focus, that unending drive, that singular mission for Diamond awards, for RIAA shipment numbers, etc. almost cheapens our experience with Garth. Numbers are so impersonal. They don't emote anything. They speak to the brain, not the heart or the soul. They aren't something that anyone wants to share with friends.

    When was the last time you told a friend, "hey, do you know why I love Garth Brooks, it's because he has 7 Diamond Awards," or "I really love Garth Brooks because he has shipped more units to record stores than any other solo artist in history." No!!! We tell people, I love Garth Brooks because of the songs themselves and the experiences we have at concerts.

    I get that Garth measures his success by the numbers. It's just the way he thinks. I guess some of us just hoped that when Garth came back from Retirement, he would be focused on the future, not obsessed with building the legacy of his past.

    I've rambled on a lot. I have a lot more to say, but if anyone is still even reading this, then I won't bore you. But let me say this. I am personally sorry for being one of the negative folks around here lately. Like Ryan said, I feel my critiques are absolutely 100% legitimate and warranted, and in no way am I trying to be mean-spirited or negative for the sake of being negative. That said, it kills the fun of things to read the critical stuff over and over again. So I'll personally try to refrain from being so vocal about my frustrations.

    One thing is for sure, when Fun eventually comes, I'll love it. When the expanded Triple Live arrives, I'll enjoy the heck out it. I will always be grateful that he did come back after retirement, and that we now have BIAOMR, MAM, GS, and TL to add to our already amazing collections of songs. When "What Gave Me Away" comes out this month on Trisha's new album, I'll love that one too. Because again, what I love about Garth Brooks has nothing to do with numbers. It's about that voice, those songs, and that feeling of excitement you get when you first hear a new Garth Brooks song.



    Absolutely nailed it and could not have said it better myself.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    This isn't a super active board. There's only a few of us who post regularly. So there should be no doubt that those of us who are here ALL absolutely LOVE Garth Brooks!
    . I’d def. say that’s true- we have diff styles of fandom but we all love Garth (the man and/or his music)

    We LOVE almost every song. Garth speaks to us. His music lights up our life. It makes us happy!! His concerts, unparalleled! His attitude about life, uplifting! His example on how to be a parent, excellent!!
    ben w/ the opinions I have about his retirement…. Well said!

    So why do some of us get so negative sometimes? It's BECAUSE of that love. We are SOOOO dedicated that we want every single song. We want to hear every possible note. We are NOT causal fans! If Garth were to sing deep cuts like Night Rider's Lament, Rodeo or Mexico, or Please Operator at a concert, we'd flip out and get strange looks from those around us wondering how we knew all the words. The average fan would head for the beer line. Not us!! We are NOT the average fan.
    ya should have seen the texts flying between a friend of mine at the garth show in Denver and myself- when he started up on in lonesome Dove and The Red Strokes…. We went nuts

    So again, why are we so negative sometimes? There are many reasons that have been expressed time and time again, so there's no need to retread them now. But I think the heart of it is that we WANT him to succeed. We WANT him to be on as many radio stations as possible. We want everyone else to love him the way we do. That's why we want him on iTunes, and Spotify, and Pandora. So we can share him with new fans. We can't just hand them a CD because they'll look at us funny.

    We also want them to love him for the same reason we do, for the music and the songs and the shows. So they can get enthralled by the stories of In Lonesome Dove and Ireland. So they can enjoy the tongue in cheekiness of It's Midnight Cinderella, Kickin & Screamin, and Nobody Gets Off in This Town. We want them to cry with us when we sing The Change. We wants folks to remember Garth Brooks for the songs, the music, and the way that music and his concerts touch our souls.

    Here's what we don't want. We don't want Garth to be remembered for numbers. We love Garth because of the way he's touched our souls. Not because he has 7 Diamond awards. When people think of Queen, they think of Freddy Mercury's insane talent and they think of songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. They don't say, Queen was great because they shipped XX amount of units to record stores.

    Garth is no doubt one of the all-time GREATS!! But it seems to some of us that for all the talk about the music, Garth has become an artist obsessed with numbers. And NOT necessarily sales numbers, but shipment numbers, which seem artificial. To some of us, that focus, that unending drive, that singular mission for Diamond awards, for RIAA shipment numbers, etc. almost cheapens our experience with Garth. Numbers are so impersonal. They don't emote anything. They speak to the brain, not the heart or the soul. They aren't something that anyone wants to share with friends.

    When was the last time you told a friend, "hey, do you know why I love Garth Brooks, it's because he has 7 Diamond Awards," or "I really love Garth Brooks because he has shipped more units to record stores than any other solo artist in history." No!!! We tell people, I love Garth Brooks because of the songs themselves and the experiences we have at concerts.

    I get that Garth measures his success by the numbers. It's just the way he thinks. I guess some of us just hoped that when Garth came back from Retirement, he would be focused on the future, not obsessed with building the legacy of his past.

    I've rambled on a lot. I have a lot more to say, but if anyone is still even reading this, then I won't bore you. But let me say this. I am personally sorry for being one of the negative folks around here lately. Like Ryan said, I feel my critiques are absolutely 100% legitimate and warranted, and in no way am I trying to be mean-spirited or negative for the sake of being negative. That said, it kills the fun of things to read the critical stuff over and over again. So I'll personally try to refrain from being so vocal about my frustrations.

    One thing is for sure, when Fun eventually comes, I'll love it. When the expanded Triple Live arrives, I'll enjoy the heck out it. I will always be grateful that he did come back after retirement, and that we now have BIAOMR, MAM, GS, and TL to add to our already amazing collections of songs. When "What Gave Me Away" comes out this month on Trisha's new album, I'll love that one too. Because again, what I love about Garth Brooks has nothing to do with numbers. It's about that voice, those songs, and that feeling of excitement you get when you first hear a new Garth Brooks song.
    …. BOOM… another mic drop- thanks or sharing emerald!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    This isn't a super active board. There's only a few of us who post regularly. So there should be no doubt that those of us who are here ALL absolutely LOVE Garth Brooks!

    We LOVE almost every song. Garth speaks to us. His music lights up our life. It makes us happy!! His concerts, unparalleled! His attitude about life, uplifting! His example on how to be a parent, excellent!!

    So why do some of us get so negative sometimes? It's BECAUSE of that love. We are SOOOO dedicated that we want every single song. We want to hear every possible note. We are NOT causal fans! If Garth were to sing deep cuts like Night Rider's Lament, Rodeo or Mexico, or Please Operator at a concert, we'd flip out and get strange looks from those around us wondering how we knew all the words. The average fan would head for the beer line. Not us!! We are NOT the average fan.

    So again, why are we so negative sometimes? There are many reasons that have been expressed time and time again, so there's no need to retread them now. But I think the heart of it is that we WANT him to succeed. We WANT him to be on as many radio stations as possible. We want everyone else to love him the way we do. That's why we want him on iTunes, and Spotify, and Pandora. So we can share him with new fans. We can't just hand them a CD because they'll look at us funny.

    We also want them to love him for the same reason we do, for the music and the songs and the shows. So they can get enthralled by the stories of In Lonesome Dove and Ireland. So they can enjoy the tongue in cheekiness of It's Midnight Cinderella, Kickin & Screamin, and Nobody Gets Off in This Town. We want them to cry with us when we sing The Change. We wants folks to remember Garth Brooks for the songs, the music, and the way that music and his concerts touch our souls.

    Here's what we don't want. We don't want Garth to be remembered for numbers. We love Garth because of the way he's touched our souls. Not because he has 7 Diamond awards. When people think of Queen, they think of Freddy Mercury's insane talent and they think of songs like Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, We are the Champions, and We Will Rock You. They don't say, Queen was great because they shipped XX amount of units to record stores.

    Garth is no doubt one of the all-time GREATS!! But it seems to some of us that for all the talk about the music, Garth has become an artist obsessed with numbers. And NOT necessarily sales numbers, but shipment numbers, which seem artificial. To some of us, that focus, that unending drive, that singular mission for Diamond awards, for RIAA shipment numbers, etc. almost cheapens our experience with Garth. Numbers are so impersonal. They don't emote anything. They speak to the brain, not the heart or the soul. They aren't something that anyone wants to share with friends.

    When was the last time you told a friend, "hey, do you know why I love Garth Brooks, it's because he has 7 Diamond Awards," or "I really love Garth Brooks because he has shipped more units to record stores than any other solo artist in history." No!!! We tell people, I love Garth Brooks because of the songs themselves and the experiences we have at concerts.

    I get that Garth measures his success by the numbers. It's just the way he thinks. I guess some of us just hoped that when Garth came back from Retirement, he would be focused on the future, not obsessed with building the legacy of his past.

    I've rambled on a lot. I have a lot more to say, but if anyone is still even reading this, then I won't bore you. But let me say this. I am personally sorry for being one of the negative folks around here lately. Like Ryan said, I feel my critiques are absolutely 100% legitimate and warranted, and in no way am I trying to be mean-spirited or negative for the sake of being negative. That said, it kills the fun of things to read the critical stuff over and over again. So I'll personally try to refrain from being so vocal about my frustrations.

    One thing is for sure, when Fun eventually comes, I'll love it. When the expanded Triple Live arrives, I'll enjoy the heck out it. I will always be grateful that he did come back after retirement, and that we now have BIAOMR, MAM, GS, and TL to add to our already amazing collections of songs. When "What Gave Me Away" comes out this month on Trisha's new album, I'll love that one too. Because again, what I love about Garth Brooks has nothing to do with numbers. It's about that voice, those songs, and that feeling of excitement you get when you first hear a new Garth Brooks song.
    Nothing else needs to be said. Thanks!

  15. #75
    I think a lot of the frustrations we have that we need to understand is, I don't think Garth knows where he currently fits into the current musical landscape. Let's face it, it's not the 90's anymore. The business has changed and to be honest I'm not sure it's changed for the better IMO.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Let's face it, it's not the 90's anymore. The business has changed and to be honest I'm not sure it's changed for the better IMO.
    a good point- Music has changed- gone are the days of being beholden to a label etc.. artists are more accessible, but you have to wonder almost if the accessibility has proven to be a negative
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  17. #77
    To put my two cents in on this conversation, let me put it to you guys this way, I never really gave a shit about Garth's re-releasing habits, mostly because I prefer to worry about bigger problems going on, not only in my personal life but also around the world. That being said, in a way I actually embraced his re-releasing habits because they actually proved very practical for me. Flashback to 2005, second box set comes out after Katrina, two of my Garth CDs were cracked and pretty much unplayable (Sevens and Disc One of Double Live) when that box set came out, I was not only happy to get new copies of those albums, but I also got to enjoy the first pressing of The Lost Sessions.

    Flash forward to this year, now there had been occasions where in-between 2005 to now, where I would window shop on Ebay to look up Garth on Vinyl and even though I could never afford some of the vinyl that was in mint condition, I always wondered what it would be like to play Garth's records on a vinyl record player and in a way, MetalJesusRocks on Youtube inspired me to make that an aspiration of mine to collect that vinyl whenever I had enough money to play it. Now here's the reason why I personally felt villified when you guys attacked Garth for announcing his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, because when I first heard of his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, I was actually very happy because it gave me an opportunity to actually save A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS on those records as opposed to what would've happened if I had gone the Ebay route and shelling out potentially thousands of dollars. Now I know you guys mean well and vilifying retro collectors obviously was not y'alls intentions, but that was the feeling I was having when you guys attacked Garth over it.

    But here is the REAL PROBLEM that I'm having with Garth, when it comes to his new stuff, he's done nothing but trend chase. Meaning that he keeps releasing songs that do nothing to move the genre towards a better direction that desperately needs to go. Dive Bar, for example and him picking Blake Shelton, let's face it along with him, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia, those individuals I mentioned are probably the most polarizing figures in Country Music right now and Garth wants to team up with them instead of picking people like Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs and Wade Bowen? I understand trying to be relevant, but rarely does staying in a circle ever really work, sometimes you got to go outside that circle and make your own thing.

    The point I'm trying to make is if Country Music were able to evolve back to what made it good in the 80's and 90's, Garth needs to think about being a leader for that evolution especially since he could easily have the potential of taking George Strait's title of The King. And I bring up George Strait because he can only go so long before he either completely retires or passes away, and when Strait passes away whose worthy of taking George's title if Garth ain't worthy of it?
    Last edited by ElectricOutcast; 08-19-2019 at 05:37 PM.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,731
    I will say this about the vinyl release. Garth is doing it just about as well as it can be done.

    He's releasing an analog version along with an updated digital version. He's including CDs so that folks have a more mobile option to hear the contents. He's offering it in separate boxes that can either be purchased all together or individually. He's adding an individualized number (and even let you choose your number if you wanted) for the collectors. He's also offering some boxes without the numbers at a discount if folks want to go that route. The packaging looks great and from what I understand he had the vinyl pressed at one of the premier plants rather than one of the cheaper ones. He also offered it to "fans" first before sending it to retail.

    This is also a great release for what it is because most of his stuff hasn't been available on vinyl for more than 20 years and some of it has never been available on vinyl.

    Now the relatively few things that he perhaps could have done better were to release finalized tracklists right from the beginning so folks knew what they were buying when they pre-ordered (except that Garth hardly ever releases final tracklistings for anything until just before release, so that was nothing new), and maybe he could have picked better albums to include in this first package (although we all know why he picked these particular albums).

    All in all, this is going to be a fantastic release, and in almost every respect, Garth has done it 95% right from a fan perspective, which is a lot better than many other artists do!! For those of you who like and collect vinyl, I'm thrilled for you!! This will undoubtedly be the release of the year for you!!

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    788
    I agree with Emerald. There are things about this box to be excited about even for those that are disappointed in the "bonus tracks".

    - I honestly don't even remember Garth's records being available on vinyl so for those here that are huge vinyls fans this is a big deal.

    - I love the fact that he gave the option of 3 different box sets. It does give those that are picky about their audio on vinyl an opportunity to go a few different routes.

    - The price point for the initial sale was amazing. I mean, paying $100 for the 3 boxes really was a steal. (One of the reasons I purchased)

    - The packaging looks like it could be really gorgeous and a nice collector's item for sure.

    - The thing I'm most excited about is seeing which three Triple Live albums I get. I would love to have all 6 of those, especially the 7 Diamond Celebration and the Ryman since I was actually at both of those shows. My hope is that these 6 covers will be available for the CD versions as well.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Flash forward to this year, now there had been occasions where in-between 2005 to now, where I would window shop on Ebay to look up Garth on Vinyl and even though I could never afford some of the vinyl that was in mint condition, I always wondered what it would be like to play Garth's records on a vinyl record player and in a way, MetalJesusRocks on Youtube inspired me to make that an aspiration of mine to collect that vinyl whenever I had enough money to play it. Now here's the reason why I personally felt villified when you guys attacked Garth for announcing his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, because when I first heard of his plans to release his stuff on vinyl, I was actually very happy because it gave me an opportunity to actually save A FEW HUNDRED BUCKS on those records as opposed to what would've happened if I had gone the Ebay route and shelling out potentially thousands of dollars. Now I know you guys mean well and vilifying retro collectors obviously was not y'alls intentions, but that was the feeling I was having when you guys attacked Garth over it.
    . I see your point here (and lol- love the shoutout to metaljesusrocks from YT, great retro game channel- I also like John Hancock's channel (and cinemassacre for AVGN as well)..


    But here is the REAL PROBLEM that I'm having with Garth, when it comes to his new stuff, he's done nothing but trend chase. Meaning that he keeps releasing songs that do nothing to move the genre towards a better direction that desperately needs to go. Dive Bar, for example and him picking Blake Shelton, let's face it along with him, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia, those individuals I mentioned are probably the most polarizing figures in Country Music right now and Garth wants to team up with them instead of picking people like Chris Stapleton, Luke Combs and Wade Bowen? I understand trying to be relevant, but rarely does staying in a circle ever really work, sometimes you got to go outside that circle and make your own thing.
    not gonna fault you on your opinion, but I know you have a deep dislike for those artists in particular.. Im just curious to ask- is there a poss. the dislike is clouding understanding of Garth's reasoning (lol if we can ever know what his reasoning truly is for something).. I do see your point on what you're saying re: them though.. I also know your like for wade Bowen, etc.. makes sense. Luke Combs to me still sounds bro-country, I'd almost lump him I w/ the others you have mentioned you're not a fan of. Tha'ts my take on him though... (the ice cold beer never broke my heart song... its like it WANTS to be good but stays in bro country realm...

    The point I'm trying to make is if Country Music were able to evolve back to what made it good in the 80's and 90's, Garth needs to think about being a leader for that evolution especially since he could easily have the potential of taking George Strait's title of The King. And I bring up George Strait because he can only go so long before he either completely retires or passes away, and when Strait passes away whose worthy of taking George's title if Garth ain't worthy of it?
    Hmm- good question re: George Strait.. honestly? I dont' think Garth would take the title if offered- (if it were really a 'title').. George Strait's one of his biggest heroes.. I know he's said "I've tried to be George strait'. but you cant/he couldn't.. even if it were possible. there's only 1 GS just as there is only 1 GB..

    I like the notions of the evolving f country.. brings back a discussion I had with a friend who moved to Nashville in the late 90s.. we talked about the pendulum type swinging of country from one type of format to another... It will swing back to a more normal sound at some point.. or at least it'll swing away from the bro country crap....

    Things is, music progresses.. fans progress.. artists who want to maintain longevity should 'progress' in ways too.. Garth has seemed to fence straddle this point- sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't progress musically and as an artist
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I agree with Emerald. There are things about this box to be excited about even for those that are disappointed in the "bonus tracks".

    - I honestly don't even remember Garth's records being available on vinyl so for those here that are huge vinyls fans this is a big deal.

    - I love the fact that he gave the option of 3 different box sets. It does give those that are picky about their audio on vinyl an opportunity to go a few different routes.

    - The price point for the initial sale was amazing. I mean, paying $100 for the 3 boxes really was a steal. (One of the reasons I purchased)

    - The packaging looks like it could be really gorgeous and a nice collector's item for sure.

    - The thing I'm most excited about is seeing which three Triple Live albums I get. I would love to have all 6 of those, especially the 7 Diamond Celebration and the Ryman since I was actually at both of those shows. My hope is that these 6 covers will be available for the CD versions as well.

    My only thing w/ the vinyl (and yes I talk about it as one who has purchased it) that could be seen as a complaint- Im' still not gonna be going out of my way to buy a record player which would then have to be hooked to speakers and/or a receiver, etc. all for the purpose off playing Garth albums which could scratch, at the hope of hearing a 'warmer' sound... it's a niche thing to do, still a niche format.. Retro is one thing... progress is another..

    That being said- the way he's handled the sale (minus the bonus song thing which we #1 don't know for CERTAIN until release/unboxings..) has been great. I'd love to see the packaging inserts, etc. and all the inside stuff. I'm not likely to open my set(s) though to do so unless I have to.. MIB means 'mint in box" not opened and looked at once... . I am happy I got the # I wanted though- not any of my kids birthdays (wouldn't be able to choose) or my wedding date (I could have done the I guess)... did get the number for day I accepted Christ.. a great reminder to have..

    Im' sure there will be further cover releases depending on the set's reception once it's 'out in the wild' as it were
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  22. #82
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    I think a lot of the frustrations we have that we need to understand is, I don't think Garth knows where he currently fits into the current musical landscape. Let's face it, it's not the 90's anymore. The business has changed and to be honest I'm not sure it's changed for the better IMO.
    I think there's a lot of truth in that.

  23. #83
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    840
    It would be awesome if for one album he just took a break from concentrating on sales and did something that he may have always wanted to do that was a break from normal but a gift for us fans. Kenny Chesney has two albums like that, his current one being one of those. I guess in a way the Chris Gaines album was that. He needs to do something like that again.

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    It would be awesome if for one album he just took a break from concentrating on sales and did something that he may have always wanted to do that was a break from normal but a gift for us fans. Kenny Chesney has two albums like that, his current one being one of those. I guess in a way the Chris Gaines album was that. He needs to do something like that again.
    It would definitely be nice... Garth's seemingly proven though that he won't 'do what others do' when it comes to suggested ways to release music/types of music/etc..

    I'm sure Garth thinks things like the vinyl are 'gifts to the fans'... And they ARE.... to a casual fan/new fan.. to the hardcore/longtime ones? not quite a gift...

    Chris Gaines was not a 'gift to the fans'.. It was more along the lines of a concept album ill fated in delivery. Kind of (I know Ive made connections before) KISS' music from the Elder
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  25. #85
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    It would be awesome if for one album he just took a break from concentrating on sales and did something that he may have always wanted to do that was a break from normal but a gift for us fans. Kenny Chesney has two albums like that, his current one being one of those. I guess in a way the Chris Gaines album was that. He needs to do something like that again.
    In a sense, I feel like the Vegas show and the BIAOMR set that followed were sorta this for Garth.

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    In a sense, I feel like the Vegas show and the BIAOMR set that followed were sorta this for Garth.
    def a lot closer to that than CG honestly....

    interesting take on things, emerald
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  27. #87
    What is the latest word form Garth for the release date of Fun. Last I heard was, it will be released in the life span of "Dive Bar"

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    What is the latest word form Garth for the release date of Fun. Last I heard was, it will be released in the life span of "Dive Bar"
    He said “maybe” it’d be released during Dive Bar’s run. The reality is that no one knows. He doesn’t talk that much about it. Legacy is the clear focus point release this year. Everything else is just frosting.

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    7,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    He said “maybe” it’d be released during Dive Bar’s run. The reality is that no one knows. He doesn’t talk that much about it. Legacy is the clear focus point release this year. Everything else is just frosting.
    if anyone knows the exact inside studio G where he said this, I can go back and verify (have em all downloaded) but I do remember him at some point saying 'during the life' of dive bar.. honestly though? emerald's right and the reality is no one knows (but garth's 'camp'..) He's def. focusing more on vinyl this season....
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LA/Long Beach area
    Posts
    2,010
    Well we are into September and still nothing on FUN or Triple Live. I guess he is going for bigger numbers by selling the Legacy set. If he sells the 3 boxed set I guess that is 42 items versus 1 for FUN and 3 for Triple Live. I guess it is selling somewhat. It keeps going up and down in the rankings on Amazon. I wonder how it is doing at Target and Best Buy. You'd think there would be a hint of advertising. I bet for Black Friday there will be a big push to sell the rest of the numbered copies. I think I brought this up before. A radio station posted a photo right before Garth announced Legay and said that they had a box set mailed to them and they were supposed to give it away. Whatever happened to that. Never heard another word. So that means Garth had unnumbered sets already. I wonder how many of each he is having produced. How high did the numbered sets go and how many un numbered sets were made? We see the Oct 1 date approaching fast. I am thinking of ordering a second boxed set and oneextra box to have a copy of the albums to play.Getting closer. So if he sells 1 million boxed sets and certifies the back catalog I wonder where his numbers will be on Neilsen sound scan and RIAA.?

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts