+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Billboard Article Dated 6/17/2019

Billboard Article Dated 6/17/2019

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...source=twitter

So no official release date at all for Fun. Sorry but people who pre-ordered this album a year ago should have already had it by now.

The song will be on your new album Fun. When does the album come out?

We’ve probably mixed four out of the 10 to 12 [songs]. I imagine we’ll be done by the end of July. We'll see when it comes out. … We have an exclusive with Amazon, but Amazon also understands that those mass retail partners were the ones that gave us our career, and so they're very sweet to say we have an exclusive deal, but we understand that the people that listen to Garth Brooks’ stuff don't all just go to Amazon, they’re everywhere big retail is.

Can I take my following statement to be somewhat correct?

"So the album will be completed at the end of July, so A month later??? He says they have an exclusive with Amazon but amazon will allow it to be sold at other retail outlets? Am I right?

A AUGUST RELEASE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...source=twitter

So no official release date at all for Fun. Sorry but people who pre-ordered this album a year ago should have already had it by now.
    Thought it was a great article overall.

Very very good questions asked.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 06-17-2019 at 11:56 PM.

"Can he be more ambiguous about touring outside the USA???"

Will the tour go outside of North America after the three years?

I don’t know. We haven't been to Australia in a hundred years. If we do go outside the United States, which the plan is to, then the plan is also to promote the new music in these places where you're more of a current artist instead of someone that hasn't been around for a while. If not, I just don't feel the energy will be there and I'm worried that it might not be there from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post

We've probably mixed four out of the 10 to 12 [songs]. I imagine we'll be done by the end of July. We'll see when it comes out. ... We have an exclusive with Amazon, but Amazon also understands that those mass retail partners were the ones that gave us our career, and so they're very sweet to say we have an exclusive deal, but we understand that the people that listen to Garth Brooks' stuff don't all just go to Amazon, they're everywhere big retail is.
    Only 4 out of the 10 or 12 have been mixed??? Can I assume that those 4 are All Day Long, The Road I'm On, Stronger Than Me, and Dive Bar? If he's shooting for the end of July just to finish it, then there's no way he releases it any sooner than his normal Fall window, which means it'll come out just in time to get buried with the full Triple Live and the Legacy boxes. Yippee!! Another new album getting lost in the mix of a flood of product.

Great questions by the reporter

- Why is the new album taking this long to finish? I agree it will get lost or bundled with triple live.

- I am over the poor song writers BS. Just be a man and call it what it is, you wanna sell more albums

- Does he plan on going outside the US? Only if he can do his new stuff....wait what? He does not do his new stuff here so why would that be important? I love America but feel bad for the fans in other countries.

- Loved the question on why he only released two singles from MAM. His lame answer was Sony being not organized. You had a decade to figure it out and you sign with a company that is not organized? How does that effect him putting out singles?

- Vinyl is whatever but he does this whole song writers BS again

- He says he owns his master copies and can control it, that is why you cant see him on youtube. I again think garth is just missing the target here. Yes people can download your stuff on youtube and not pay for it. Lets be real here no one is buying his old albums anymore, that is why he has to bundle them with other stuff and try to pad his stats. I think garth has really screwed up bad with digital media. He has to stop using song writers as an excuse and be honest. He wants more album sales and that is why you cant him on youtube, iTunes etc. I think being on youtube would increase his popularity with the younger generation.

Gone back and re read the interview, picking up different things every time I re read it.

The album will have 10-12 songs on. Im guessing 12, because 10 will be kinda light.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    Great questions by the reporter

- Why is the new album taking this long to finish? I agree it will get lost or bundled with triple live.

- I am over the poor song writers BS. Just be a man and call it what it is, you wanna sell more albums

- Does he plan on going outside the US? Only if he can do his new stuff....wait what? He does not do his new stuff here so why would that be important? I love America but feel bad for the fans in other countries.

- Loved the question on why he only released two singles from MAM. His lame answer was Sony being not organized. You had a decade to figure it out and you sign with a company that is not organized? How does that effect him putting out singles?

- Vinyl is whatever but he does this whole song writers BS again

- He says he owns his master copies and can control it, that is why you cant see him on youtube. I again think garth is just missing the target here. Yes people can download your stuff on youtube and not pay for it. Lets be real here no one is buying his old albums anymore, that is why he has to bundle them with other stuff and try to pad his stats. I think garth has really screwed up bad with digital media. He has to stop using song writers as an excuse and be honest. He wants more album sales and that is why you cant him on youtube, iTunes etc. I think being on youtube would increase his popularity with the younger generation.
    He can't make the songwriter argument since Amazon appealed the ruling that would make companies like Spotify and Amazon pay songwriters more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    "Can he be more ambiguous about touring outside the USA???"

I don’t know. We haven't been to Australia in a hundred years. If we do go outside the United States, which the plan is to, then the plan is also to promote the new music in these places where you're more of a current artist instead of someone that hasn't been around for a while. If not, I just don't feel the energy will be there and I'm worried that it might not be there from me.
    Has it been 100 Years? Nah...that's just him exaggerating. It's too bad that he hasn't released any new music since he came out of retirement, so he could perform it down there.

I also find it weird that the people overseas are not into his old stuff. Seems like EVERY show I've seen here in the States, he makes a point of saying how he knows that EVERYONE wants to hear the Hits, so he's gonna be playin' a lot of the Old Stuff. Okay.....Mostly the Old Stuff, but he'll throw in 1 or 2 new songs, otherwise the energy just won't be there.

It's funny that Garth thinks he's a "Current Artist" in a place like Australia. Pretty soon he's going to be a "New Artist" because people down there will have stopped caring much or listening to his excuses. U2 are managing to get down to Australia & New Zealand for several shows this year, but then their World Tours generally fit the definition. I guess they're somehow much more financially savvy than Garth, since they manage to make it work without going broke.
    Last edited by SoCalGarthFan; 06-18-2019 at 04:21 AM.

Interesting article for sure. In several spots it was the typical vague answers. I swear, he can't answer a question straight can he?

My frustration point with Garth has been pretty high the last year or two and, if I'm honest, I have a foot in both worlds.

On the positive side, it is really hard not to admire his business savvy. I mean, it is pretty clear that he is continuing to generate huge amounts of money on old recordings and continuing to find ways to sell his back catalog. Considering that selling physical product is something the music industry as a whole is finding difficult to do these days it is crazy to think that he can generate this much interest in, and actually sell, old music at the rate he seems to be selling it. I think in some ways you have to be impressed by it. If everyone could do this they would. So clearly, this is something that is about Garth and his ability to figure out ways to generate and sell the stuff.

I feel there are at lot of negatives and I think the biggest is "optics" of this strategy. I have two buddies who are my age (early 40s) who are Garth fans, but not nuts like I am HA! When I mentioned a new song to them last night they were both interested. When I said it would only be available at radio they both just rolled their eyes and snickered. They asked, "What year is this? 1995." I don't think it matters if the business strategy is working if the "optics" is that you are old, outdated and not with the times. I can't help but feel that most average fans think this way. It doesn't make sense to them why they can't just go on their streaming service and find a new song like they can do with every other artist (with the few unique exceptions). They went from interested to just not giving a crap in a matter of seconds. Unlike Garth says in the article, they are not going to go search it out.

The other negative is just what we've said in here a million times. There is little attention given to the more committed fan. I'm not saying we are "owed" anything. I'm just saying that a lot of legacy/older artists find ways to please their more devoted fans. The model I always look at is Metallica. They continue to do new things with their back catalog and create new music at the same time.
    They are currently in the process of releasing a box set around every album. Each box set contains TONS of goodies. From live recordings, to demos, to DVDs of shows, etc. It is heaven for the more committed fan. Sure, it's not for everyone, but they have smaller versions of these sets for those fans that might not be up for a full box set of stuff surrounding a particular album. My point is there are ways to reach the very casual fan AND take care of the more committed fan. Of course, if you are chasing The Beatles RIAA numbers then there really isn't room to let copies slip away (which I think is the ultimate problem here). You aren't going to sell a million of a box set targeted to the more committed fan.

His strategy has actually caused me to lose a lot of interest and I'm not sure I'd call him my favorite artist anymore because of all this. It's hard to defend his moves to my other friends who are big music fans and it is frustrating when I buy my 7th/8th copy of an album/song in a box set just so I can get the 5 tracks I don't already have. (And yes, that is exactly what happened with Ultimate Collection so that isn't an exaggeration.)

As Skywise and I have both said before, he's going to do it his way and he is going to live and die by it. The problem is I think he is actually turning away some of his most devoted followers so he can pull in the people that really have nothing more than a casual interest in what he does. Oh well, it is what it is.
    Last edited by rhd13; 06-18-2019 at 10:25 AM.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    ** warning long reply **

ok- will dive into the article (no pun intended) to share my thoughts (not that they matter to anyone )

————————————

The irrepressibly catchy romp, written by Brooks, Mitch Rossell and Bryan Kennedy, has the same rowdy vibe as two of Brooks' previous classics: the iconic “Friends in Low Places” and the live favorite “Two Pina Coladas.”

ehh I'd put it more like "beer run" at first listen than "FILP" "2pc"

He is also finishing his new studio album, Fun, while a vinyl box set that includes new triple live album, are forthcoming.
    true- according to ISG this week it will be out 'in the middle of Dive Bar' (though that's still up in air as to whether its true or not). Wondering about the triple live portion of the vinyl a bit more- will it be the same old one we have already and the 'cd' version be one that's got Much Too Young (for example) in it?

. My biggest shock in all of this is I think I know my voice and I think I know his, but there were several times I looked over at Matt, the engineer, when we were mixing it going, “Is that him or me?”
    after listening to the song today- yeah- I can see this statement's truth in a lot of ways- there are def. parts where Garth and Blake sound alike. much more so than Garth and others he's worked with

now, if Garth knows/knew how much of a fan Blake was, was it really hard to think that Blake would say yes to a chance to record with him, his own song's success be da@@ed??

No. I made sure Blake understood that first and then I told Amazon, “This guy gets streams out the ass because he's on Spotify, you guys and Apple. Doing this, you're going to cut his streams on this way down, so I need you to overperform on your end. Put him on every playlist you possibly can.” Of course that helps me, but the main thing is, I just don't want to hurt Blake.
    .. hmm.. support the songwriters... what about Bryan kennedy? Mitch Rossell? the other writers on the song? just a thought.. seriously, this quote is even more a showing that it's not about the songwriters with Garth's short-sighted and misguided stance on digital music... it's about control. Garth could probably have a bigger impact as an artist nowadays if he viewed the digital frontier as one more to conquer and add to his legacy.. Instead? he hides behind proven false statements and that's his misguided perrogative

side thought- any possible objections to the notion that Garth will absolutely put this on the TL version coming out with the vinyl? all the talk of live recording.... it can't be just for video.. or archival purpose, or for the A&E special coming up etc..

We’ve probably mixed four out of the 10 to 12 [songs]. I imagine we’ll be done by the end of July. We'll see when it comes out. … We have an exclusive with Amazon, but Amazon also understands that those mass retail partners were the ones that gave us our career, and so they're very sweet to say we have an exclusive deal, but we understand that the people that listen to Garth Brooks’ stuff don't all just go to Amazon, they’re everywhere big retail is.
    hmm... A summer anthem with a summer release would seem to be a better strategy.. With all that you say you have coming up this fall (vinyl, triple live, etc.) you think that not over saturating fans might be a good strategy...

still, this kinda flies in the face of the ISG comments on monday- the day this was released.. meaning I know the article came first but..... interesting- which comments about FUN's release are accurate...

Amazon is only 12% of the streaming market, so you’re not reaching the majority of the streaming audience. Are you OK with that?

Yeah, because my job as a partner at Amazon is to bring those numbers up. And Amazon has proven time and time again to me in contracts that they will take care of the songwriters. [Streaming companies] are trying to reduce what they have to pay for overhead to songwriters [by appealing the Copyright Royalty Board’s decision requiring digital service providers to increase royalty payments]. So what you do in your exclusivity contract is to make sure your writers are taken care of.
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...ty-board-rates

Hmm- so Garth's actively working to support a company who has joined/aligned with companies he refuses to work with... pot? meet kettle??

The whole tour has been a surprise. Stadiums are [supposed to be] echo-y. They're cold. They're distant. I'm stunned. It's the warmest tour I've ever been on. When you start “The River,” the phones start lighting up from the back, coming this way and you can hear them singing so much.
    Hmm- I will say this much (have said it before will do it again if needed) The show at Broncos stadium was yes, the best garth show I've been to (and counting ND I guess Ive tech been to two stadium shows as well..) I felt like I was at the pepsi center.. The stadium DID feel very much like a smaller arena... it was very intimate in that regards, and garth talking about the river and the phones. he's spot on

batten down the hatches here come the Garth in europe/NZ/overseas and not canada comments again... Garth's great at talking without saying anything here. you can read "he's gonna go" and can also read "he prob isn't going' out of this same statement...

But by your own admission, at the beginning of the show, you talk about how you know people have come to hear the old stuff.

Sure, but still it's how you enter that place. So it's the difference between coming in as an '80s hair band -- funny I should use the term [laughs] -- and coming in as somebody who has something current that you love that also has a catalog that you've come to hear. … There's a song that I have got to do something with because the requests are above normal for me. “Cold Like That” just keeps growing and growing. It was a song off [2014’s] Man Against Machine that [fans] just will not let go of, so I've got to figure out how to get “Cold Like That” into the set.
    Well, he did disappoint my daughter w/ not including cold like that but that's neither here nor there... as long as it's brought out and someone records it so we can see/hear it live.. (other than the one little recording I have somewhere of that)

Then the quality control becomes massive, so that's been the hardest part of it all. There are guys in this building that have flown to Germany, spent months with headphones on, making sure the quality's right. So my hat's off to them.
    I know this is about the vinyl set but there in a nutshell is Garth's problem (going back to the shortsighted and maybe false comments about the original DL recordings with the static in the headphones, etc...) it's QUALITY CONTROL more accurately read CONTROL that's the issue for him

Every artist wants to reach newer fans. If they can't stream you unless they go to Amazon, they can't find you on YouTube, you’re not licensing your stuff for commercials -- do you feel you may be limiting your fans’ ability to find you?

Of course you're limiting the ability for them to find you, but at the same time, you're not just giving it away. So what I found with all creatures, no matter what age they are, if it's their quest to find something, then they appreciate it more when they find it. The thing is never chase, right? So if everybody goes, “Oh, I just want that younger demographic,” good luck, because I just raised three girls and if you chased [after them], they didn't care about it. But if they had to work to earn it, if they had to dig, if it was their idea, they loved it. So I think what you do is you just play your music the way you play it, protect the music the best you can, and when you do that, whatever happens, happens.
    newsflash garth... the music buying public are not your daughters... they grew up in a slightly different time.. even hard as that is to believe... the music public today wants things different.. you are in many ways limiting your fans for the sake of control...

[quote]We're lucky enough not to have to be in that thing. So it only makes sense that we might not play the game the way other people do. In this business we think there's a right or wrong way. And so if you don't play like the other guys do, you're in the wrong. But you've got to understand, our motivators are not the same as the other ones. It doesn't make us better than them. It doesn't make us less than them. It's just we don't have to make that quarter earnings report. It's so fun to not be handcuffed and to say, “Where's the rule book?” Instead we go, "What's a rule book?” That's a blast.And Garth will continue to do things "his own way" for certain
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

>>On the positive side, it is really hard not to admire his business savvy. I mean, it is pretty clear that he is continuing to generate huge amounts of money on old recordings and continuing to find ways to sell his back catalog. Considering that selling physical product is something the music industry as a whole is finding difficult to do these days it is crazy to think that he can generate this much interest in, and actually sell, old music at the rate he seems to be selling it. I think in some ways you have to be impressed by it. If everyone could do this they would. So clearly, this is something that is about Garth and his ability to figure out ways to generate and sell the stuff.<<
    I think one reason could be the USA has 300 million people, selling catalog is still viable. That is 275 plus million who don't own a Garth Brooks CD. I know that getting the albums are hard unless you do Amazon or whatever site to buy physical product. Why waste a chance at adding a few million. When he played here locally, his catalog stuff wasn't available. Younger buyers were combing the used music store and snapping up all his used catalog. That is where I think Garth is missing the bus. He should make some kind od deal with retailers to carry the catalog stuff and work the new stuff. I agree is turning off old fans but he can sell a lot of old music. How many newbies see a boxed set with the first 7 albums and the new CD and they say, I got all his music and new CD for $20 bucks. I don't think the 10 million or so who originally bought his original catalog go out and but the boxed sets so he is making headway with the 275 million who weren't around then. I personally like buying the various boxed sets to give to my friends who weren't around the first time.

+ Reply to Thread