+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great Article on Garth Brooks

The only comment I’ll make is I’ll refrain from commenting.

One more thing, I totally call BS on Garth truly believing this is the greatest night of his career. Are we really to believe a random show in Denver, no matter how great it was, outdoes Central Park, Texas Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Ireland, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    One more thing, I totally call BS on Garth truly believing this is the greatest night of his career. Are we really to believe a random show in Denver, no matter how great it was, outdoes Central Park, Texas Stadium, Yankee Stadium, Ireland, etc.?
    Nope! Maybe the greatest night of his career since his comeback. But, no way it beats what he did in the 90s in those places.

And, he's getting older. He probably appreciates things like Denver more than he normally would since I do believe he's somewhat taken back by the turnout he's getting on this tour.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Well, 'dem's fighting words right there .. I will say this much as one from Denver.. until he decides another place tops it, I'll say that his comments were genuine- based largely on him continually in the past week (ISG, etc.) sticking with that.. being there with (I think they're calling it 84,500 now) people.. it seriously did feel like being at the pepsi center or smaller... Garth was asked again, and said that up until this weekend he'd have said those 'three days in ireland' were his favorite- until denver last weekend..

this was far more than just 'a random show in Denver'... I THINK it was the largest show on the tour so far.

Does this sound hypocritical? maybe- but with his comments about denver on the stage taken into context with statements made a few days AFTER the show, taken alongside an 'impromptu investigation' about the comments by a local news channel (at least on twitter as they said).. I'm inclined to take him at his word for the moment

The review itself? I've read it (the Westword is a local 'paper', the kind that's produced and then mass shipped to free boxes all over the city... a local only paper) .. It tried HARD to make Garth's show a political statement.. Everything has to be made political. . Slam conservatives, hype SJW convo. points, you're guaranteed a few readers/comments (and Westword isn't exactly a neutral/non SJW type of paper..) . however it turned to an honest review, even with a few inaccuracies (the stage was not rectangular for example... "when the thunder rolls" being a wrong song title as well.. the reviewer? clearly not well versed on Garth's biggest hits). the "dedication" of a song to the journalist? also a falsehood- journalist asked about what type of sign one should bring to make sure he saw it to play their song. Garth simply asked her 'what song would you like me to play" and then he told that story at the concert (the song was 'that summer' btw) - there wasn't a dedication...

of course the 'halo' with the obligatory pride month infused 'rainbow' of WSBF (which is more than just a Gay rights type of anthem) was prominently mentioned- while political (IMO) it was a cool effect.. Garth used it many times during the night w/ different things- wristbands with LEDS for people in the upper 'halo' of the stadium...

ok- that was longer than I needed it to be
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    And, he's getting older. He probably appreciates things like Denver more than he normally would since I do believe he's somewhat taken back by the turnout he's getting on this tour.

I will say that I think this is more on point than we think- I think (or at lest it felt) the 'taken back' by the response to the tour? his surprise? it's not a polished reponse- it's genuine

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Nope! Maybe the greatest night of his career since his comeback. But, no way it beats what he did in the 90s in those places.

ok- now here's devil's advocate (with a tinge of hometown pride built in). is this HIS opinion? or YOURS? is it based on fact, or desire? is there a "can't let anything beat (insert city here) as might happen in the future w/ other shows compared to denver or is it objective and based on evidence....

who's to say that Garth DIDN'T have the best night of his career last saturday at Mile High?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    ok- now here's devil's advocate (with a tinge of hometown pride built in). is this HIS opinion? or YOURS? is it based on fact, or desire? is there a "can't let anything beat (insert city here) as might happen in the future w/ other shows compared to denver or is it objective and based on evidence....

who's to say that Garth DIDN'T have the best night of his career last saturday at Mile High?
    Sure it is possible that this was the greatest night of his career in his opinion. If that is the case I expect us to have a Quadruple Live cover and a section about it in his comeback edition of the Anthology. I’m just of the belief that this is an overhype to go along with “biggest ticket sales of the tour” statement.

I think my biggest thing with how I feel is everything Garth does is “record breaking”, “biggest”, “best”, “most tickets sold”, “greatest”, “ultimate”, etc. I feel like it’s the boy who cries wolf. How can everything be that? I am not saying that this show in Denver may not have been that in his opinion. He may genuinely feel that way. I just find it hard to believe this tops those shows he’s rammed down our throats for years.

I was at the Ryman show and I’m almost positive he said something very similar that night. Oh well, not something to get worked up over.

Garth is the king of hyperbole! That is all.

Sure it is possible that this was the greatest night of his career in his opinion.
    ok- lol I don't wanna seem like a jerk (and Ryan, I apologize if I do - it's honestly not my intent) but I chuckled at this one.. 'in his opinion'.. it'd def. be his opinion ) (but really, isn't that the opinion that would matter?

If that is the case I expect us to have a Quadruple Live cover and a section about it in his comeback edition of the Anthology. I’m just of the belief that this is an overhype to go along with “biggest ticket sales of the tour” statement.
    Garth is def. one to over hype things (not quite so sure he was over hyping here but.... I agree he does o that. heck I'd love to see a denver cover or photos/footage of it in a future release of some sort- it'd be worth it!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I think my biggest thing with how I feel is everything Garth does is “record breaking”, “biggest”, “best”, “most tickets sold”, “greatest”, “ultimate”, etc. I feel like it’s the boy who cries wolf. How can everything be that? I am not saying that this show in Denver may not have been that in his opinion. He may genuinely feel that way. I just find it hard to believe this tops those shows he’s rammed down our throats for years.

well, it would depend I guess on hte criteria that's being used to judge the 'validity' of such a statement. a local news station did an impromptu investigative report on it (at least as far as twitter goes) and at least on this tour, nothing has been said to other cities that would indicate such a feeling about being hte greatest of his career. I think (at least at this point) he does genuinely feel that way- at least based on how he explains it during last weeks' ISG.

as you said though it's not really something to get worked up over.. till Oregon/the next shows, Denver has the 'spotlight' city wise.. at least so far on this tour, we have the largest tickets sold amount for a single show.. (heck I gotta take SOME pride i that at the moment)..

would have loved to see the Ryman show live.. I'd have to listen to the recording i have (if they have the inter song 'banter' on my recording to check his statements..) I did get to see ND live and he didn't exactly say something about greatest night of a career, but he DID talk about coming back to ND to end the tour....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I really just posted the article, because I like the bit about we shall be free, and how the upperdeck turned into the rainbow colours.

Skywise, I didn’t see that as being a jerk. After I reread it it is funny how I worded it. I do agree with Emerald. He is the king of hyperbole. Again, nothing to get worked up over. I still think he made a very similar statement at the Ryman.

Garth is the king of hyping everything up.

He didn't ram anything down your throat....

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    Garth is the king of hyping everything up.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post

It's just that he says this after every stadium show, which I'm sure you've noticed. I'm sure Denver was great. And I'm super excited he's experiencing that because he says he'll keep doing what he's doing if people are willing to show up. And they are! He did seem to blown away by it during Studio G. But you can't say Ireland was probably not the best nights of his career after watching that and seeing the interviews of those involved their saying it was a religious experience. Just read the latest book in the Anthology series to see how he would describe Central Park the same way.

It doesn't really matter. We're just Garth fans who like to keep the facts straight I'm glad to hear him say those kind of things. It makes me even more excited for when he comes to my neck of the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    He didn't ram anything down your throat....
    Right, he didn’t literally ram it down our throats, that would be a figure of speech, but he absolutely has hyped a handful of shows to death. Those shows have been in box sets, covers of live albums, that is most of what the Anthology is about, etc. it’s always been about TIGB, TIGB 2, Central Park & Ireland. He is all about hyping & creating a moment. I love the guy, but the rehashing, overhyping has always given me problems, all the way back to the early 90s. It’s even worse now.

It's just that he says this after every stadium show, which I'm sure you've noticed.
    no, he hasn’t.. at least not in a public mention la social media/twitter. That’s where the “impromptu investigation thing came in in a prior comment. Ace to local news station

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9ne...d-ec3b6385b8aa

I'm sure Denver was great.
    it absolutely was

And I'm super excited he's experiencing that because he says he'll keep doing what he's doing if people are willing to show up. And they are!
    I think rounded tally for Denver was 84,500

He did seem to blown away by it during Studio G. But you can't say Ireland was probably not the best nights of his career after watching that and seeing the interviews of those involved their saying it was a religious experience. Just read the latest book in the Anthology series to see how he would describe Central Park the same way.
    I’m sure opinions can and maybe will change but at the moment, Garth himself (not in a book not in fan analysis of his past concerts) has said on multiple occasions now (at show and on ISG), has said Denver was his favorite show- even if it’s not yours (or you or others like central park or Ireland more) it appears to be HIS favorite currently

It doesn't really matter. We're just Garth fans who like to keep the facts straight!
    . Absolutely!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I’ve heard this exact verbiage come out of his mouth 11 different times just since Kansas City 07. I first heard it in Iowa City at the end of his last U.S. show before going overseas for the first time. To me it’s no longer genuine, and is void of any actual meaning when I think of how I would apply criteria to make a statement like this.

That said, I don’t care. He may feel that way, in the moment, if he’s of the mind that he is unsure if the train can keep rolling. If that’s the case, the most recent night would be the best of his career as it’s one more he didn’t know if he’d get.

Or it could just be marketing bs like the rest of his career has been. I’m leaning that direction.

I guess we all think that the show we have been too, is Garth's Best show. If Garth is saying Denver is, we have to take his word for it.

Someone mentioned the Live anthology being centered around TIGB TIGB2 Central Park and Croke.

Here's the thing though , Before he came out of retirement, it seems to be too much of a coincidence that his favorite shows were all the ones that were made into tv specials.

Yes I can understand Croke park and all that.

But I remember seeing footage from Crazy Duck Productions from shows he did in the USA 93/94 and the crowd looked way way more hyped than TIGB TIGB2 (oh if anyone has those crazy ducks clips,
    feel free to message me with them :-), I would appreciate it)

Some of the shows he did that werent televised, the crowds were out of control.

Gotta say the Denver concert he just did looked incredible from the clips I saw on youtube.

All in all this year, I think Garth hasnt hyped things up as much, we havent really had announcements for announcements, yes he has talked about
    doing something that has never been done before at a show, and a new way of watching concerts, (something digital) that was suppose to be done by
    now, unless it was the Led light thing during we shall be free. But apart from that, I think its been a great year for Garth.

I just hope the new studio album and live album are amazing.

Ahh KR - man, first off good to hear from ya again!

Quote Originally Posted by GBJR77 View Post
    I’ve heard this exact verbiage come out of his mouth 11 different times just since Kansas City 07. I first heard it in Iowa City at the end of his last U.S. show before going overseas for the first time. To me it’s no longer genuine, and is void of any actual meaning when I think of how I would apply criteria to make a statement like this.
    fair 'enough, though I think you hit on a point (intentionally or not) when you said 'when I think of (my emphasis) HOW I WOULD APPLY CRITERIA'...

first off- what would your criteria be?
    2nd- our criteria isn't nec. Garth's....

That said, I don’t care. He may feel that way, in the moment, if he’s of the mind that he is unsure if the train can keep rolling. If that’s the case, the most recent night would be the best of his career as it’s one more he didn’t know if he’d get.
    there is definitely a country song or a song of some genre at least inside that sentiment.. if you're still writing, oughta put brain and pen to paper!

Or it could just be marketing bs like the rest of his career has been. I’m leaning that direction.
    while I'm beginning to think not ALL of his career has been marketing, he's certainly a master of it and thus has done his fair share of it during his career

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post

Someone mentioned the Live anthology being centered around TIGB TIGB2 Central Park and Croke.

Here's the thing though , Before he came out of retirement, it seems to be too much of a coincidence that his favorite shows were all the ones that were made into tv specials.
    I mentioned those, and no, I don’t think it is a coincidence those were always mentioned. This proves my point exactly. Garth always tries to create moments. He has continually talked about how special those shows were. Same thing in the Anthology.

It boils down to this. I don’t care what he thinks his best show is. My point is I think I’m just tired of everything being blown out of proportion. As I said above, I feel like everything is always “record breaking”, “greatest ever”, “most tickets sold”, etc.

That’s my point. If Denver is the greatest night of his career then that’s great. Good for him. Like someone else posted above, he may not have said those exact words, but I have personally been to several shows where statements similar to that were said.

Just to prove I’m not crazy, here is one I was thinking about. Garth’s Opry induction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people....induction/amp/

It boils down to this. I don’t care what he thinks his best show is. My point is I think I’m just tired of everything being blown out of proportion. As I said above, I feel like everything is always “record breaking”, “greatest ever”, “most tickets sold”, etc.

That’s my point. If Denver is the greatest night of his career then that’s great. Good for him. Like someone else posted above, he may not have said those exact words, but I have personally been to several shows where statements similar to that were said.
    ***dang it, I had a whole reply wiped out and erased- ugh ****

I hear ya on the overhyped aspect to things.. agree too..
    According ot Garth, Denver has been the greatest night of his Career- So far... .. I'm gonna harp on this (and not to nit pick but ehh- its the nature of the beast here).. 'similar' doesn't mean 'same' or 'equal'... it's 'resembling without being identical'..

ok.. off soapbox (or maybe into defending Denver's standing as a show!) for now

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Just to prove I’m not crazy, here is one I was thinking about. Garth’s Opry induction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people....induction/amp/

Fine.. I give up- Take Denver's moment and make it less... despite Garth's words, I guess..... .
    Last edited by Skywise; 06-15-2019 at 10:16 PM.

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Here in KC I was at his show in 96 and it almost tore the building down. The crowed was just crazy hyped up and Garth was on fire. I have been to 5 of his concerts since and they were great but did not come close to the 96 concert. When he did the 9 shows in 07 here he said greatest night of his life, I remember this because I thought no way that touched 96. Garth is going to over hype everything and play the aw shucks thing. It reminds me of how he over hypes Trisha and how he is Mr Yearwood. Was Denver the greatest night? I donít know or care, I just know he will make this statement again in the future.

+ Reply to Thread