+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dive Bar

I was thinking, with Dive Bar and All Day Long, I really hope he keeps the Neon Circle G theme for the album cover, as it would perfectly fit the tone of the songs we've heard so far.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I was thinking, with Dive Bar and All Day Long, I really hope he keeps the Neon Circle G theme for the album cover, as it would perfectly fit the tone of the songs we've heard so far.
    Maybe update it/ put a bit more into the cover but yeah... I agree, use it (at least partially) for the cover!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

This song may be the end of both of their careers! Lol. It's not bad. But it's more of the same Garth as released since his comeback that hasn't worked. I like it cause it's Garth and catchy. Maybe it'll make it to the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    This song may be the end of both of their careers! Lol. It's not bad. But it's more of the same Garth as released since his comeback that hasn't worked. I like it cause it's Garth and catchy. Maybe it'll make it to the top 5.
    good points in some respect... I dont' know if its a career ender, it sounds like somewhat more of the same certainly.. but that's kinda the sound he's heading towards currently.. it'll make a run- how far? depends on how 'summer' treats it

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I know everyone has their opinion, but I actually disagree pretty strongly and I'm surprised. I kind of expected to hate this song because I really haven't liked many of his singles since the comeback.
    - "People Loving People" felt like this narcissitic attempt to heal the world through a 2nd rate version of "We Shall Be Free".
    - "Mom" and "Stronger Than Me" were just so sappy it almost felt ridiculous.
    - "Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance" was just terrible.

That leaves "All Day Long" as a pretty decent song (horrible production) and "Ask Me How I Know" which I really liked.

This to me feels more authentic than just about any single he has released since the comeback. I hear the 90s Garth in there and for the first time, in a long time, I'm actually excited about his new music.

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from that it is the same old sound he's been focusing on, but the difference is this feels like a more radio friendly song without being a complete sellout to try to pander to radio. It feels like Garth. Good grief, there is a prominent steel guitar in there. When's the last time you heard that on country radio?

This is why despite getting frustrated I love the guy. There are moments he hits it out of the park and I think this is it. Even if it flops at radio I think this is a great record. I haven't worked in radio since the early 2000s so I don't claim to know how radio will respond to this. I'll just be shocked if this is a total flop though.

I think he's trying to get as close to bro country but making it about bars instead of pickup trucks. I like it. But he keeps coming back to this type of tempo and topics of alcohol instead of songs that tell a story like he was good at.

Now that I will agree with. I still think this may do well.

Yeah I really like this and All Day Long. One thing about both of those songs and even Honky-Tonk Somewhere (which I think is the best song on Gunslinger) is that even though they're similar in topic, tempo, and tone, the lyrics and plays on words (to me, anyway) are actually rather clever and the melodies are classic Garth. Add Midnight Sun, Beer Run, Under the Table, Please Operator, Longneck Bottle, Two Pina Coladas, and FILP and you've got a pretty good Bar compilation / playlist.

Btw... if anyone wants or needs a copy of Dive Bar, pm me. I maybe possibly might be able to help you out.

Hmm- after second listening- I def. do like it a bit better- just wish it wasn't so short, and Garth's right (at least at the beginning) they do sound alike

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I think he's trying to get as close to bro country but making it about bars instead of pickup trucks. I like it. But he keeps coming back to this type of tempo and topics of alcohol instead of songs that tell a story like he was good at.
    Welcome to modern day country music. It's part of the reason I barely listen to do it anymore.

I went into it thinking I will hate this song but I actually really like it. It is better then all day long and the train wreck that stronger then me was. It gives me hope for the rest of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I know everyone has their opinion, but I actually disagree pretty strongly and I'm surprised. I kind of expected to hate this song because I really haven't liked many of his singles since the comeback.
    - "People Loving People" felt like this narcissitic attempt to heal the world through a 2nd rate version of "We Shall Be Free".
    - "Mom" and "Stronger Than Me" were just so sappy it almost felt ridiculous.
    - "Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance" was just terrible.

That leaves "All Day Long" as a pretty decent song (horrible production) and "Ask Me How I Know" which I really liked.

This to me feels more authentic than just about any single he has released since the comeback. I hear the 90s Garth in there and for the first time, in a long time, I'm actually excited about his new music.

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from that it is the same old sound he's been focusing on, but the difference is this feels like a more radio friendly song without being a complete sellout to try to pander to radio. It feels like Garth. Good grief, there is a prominent steel guitar in there. When's the last time you heard that on country radio?

This is why despite getting frustrated I love the guy. There are moments he hits it out of the park and I think this is it. Even if it flops at radio I think this is a great record. I haven't worked in radio since the early 2000s so I don't claim to know how radio will respond to this. I'll just be shocked if this is a total flop though.

This is pretty spot-on to me. I liked some of the album cuts off MAM and Gunslinger (I actually kind of like Pure Adrenaline), but almost everything has suffered from very poor production - until this track. I don't know if they used Blake Shelton's producer or if they got something figured out, but the vocals seem to fit much better in the mix on Dive Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlpadacas View Post
    This is pretty spot-on to me. I liked some of the album cuts off MAM and Gunslinger (I actually kind of like Pure Adrenaline), but almost everything has suffered from very poor production - until this track. I don't know if they used Blake Shelton's producer or if they got something figured out, but the vocals seem to fit much better in the mix on Dive Bar.
    Yes, I'm hoping the other songs we've heard off "Fun" so far are just rough mixes compared to the finished, fully mixed and mastered album.

If anyone needs a copy of Dive Bar please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankfanken View Post
    If anyone needs a copy of Dive Bar please let me know
    Pretty much every track starting with BIAOMR has had the same shortcomings.

I love Dive Bar.

But it's driving me crazy.
    It reminds me of another song, a quite famous song, but I just cant get it.

Not a country song either.

Ive listen and listen, and its in my head, but I just cant quite get it.

Anyone can help me here?? There is something about this song that is so so similar to another famous song (not the lyrics) but the
    sound.

Im going crazy here. :-)

Great song.

It may be a country song that it reminds me of, the bit starts around 1.07 in.

Not sure if this was the song I was thinking of but now Im thinking at the 1.07 mark it sounds like "I threw the rest way" by tracy lawrance??

Folks have probably already figured them out, but just in case, here are the lyrics:

Well turn that bottle up and drink it
    Crank that jukebox up and Hank it
    Bartender, pour another round
    Here's to our best bad decisions
    Situation no conditions
    Oh and memories we all need to drown
    So fill your cup
    Raise it up
    Jump in and join the club
    And float this whiskey river reservoir

We're gonna spend the weekend in the deep end of a dive bar

'Cause up in here you're not the only loved and left her lost and lonely one who's ever swam against the tide
    Thinkin' this is your oasis
    It's the safest of the places
    That a broken heart can find to hide
    So here's a toast coast to coast
    With a big old adios to wishes wasted on them falling stars

We're gonna spend the weekend in the deep end of a dive bar

Yeah it's just jabber after jabber of happy never after
    But that's just the way the story goes
    For some bar stool believers
    Wear our heart out on our sleevers
    Just going where the neon glows

Yeah we're just never quite belongers
    Hanger on-ers way too longers
    Just buzzing where the neon glows

Problems, we all got 'em
    Let 'em sink down to the bottom
    Doesn't matter who or where you are

We're gonna spend the weekend in the deep end
    The water's fine, ya'll so just come on in
    To the deep end of a dive bar
    Of this Dive Bar
    Talkin' 'Bout a Dive Bar

Thank you for sharing that vimeo link!

The production (again) is atrocious, I love Garth's loyalty but he needs to FIRE MARK MILLER, it sounds like a cheap karaoke track.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Folks have probably already figured them out, but just in case, here are the lyrics:

For some bar stool believers
    Wear our heart out on our sleevers
    Just going where the neon glows
    Pretty sure it’s “Chapter after chapter.”

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    Pretty sure it’s “Chapter after chapter.”
    Ah yes, I'm pretty sure you're right. I didn't transcribe them, I just got them from HERE

Gotta say- it's been a bit since I've listened to a Garth song (a new one) and it's gotten caught in my head the way this one is.. my thoughts are def. changing on it to the positive...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I like the song but there's just something when I hear it on the radio it's difficult to understand the lyrics, especially when Garth is singing. I used chrome audio capture to rip it from the vimeo link and then transferred it to my phone. When I listen to it on my headphones or in the truck it's clearer. I'm not an audio tech guy but something is definitely going on. People loving people and BLLDAD was the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by copinark View Post
    I like the song but there's just something when I hear it on the radio it's difficult to understand the lyrics, especially when Garth is singing. I used chrome audio capture to rip it from the vimeo link and then transferred it to my phone. When I listen to it on my headphones or in the truck it's clearer. I'm not an audio tech guy but something is definitely going on. People loving people and BLLDAD was the same way.
    JUST a thought that may be way off- did you capture things the exact same way with BLLDAD and PLP?

I wil say, for all the talk about country radio.. the country stations in Denver- where Garth just was.... have played dive bar a fat ZERO times today.. have not heard it at all

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I heard it on time this morning on 98.5. It was very early about 415am

Hehe I wasn’t up then

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

You know what this song is? It's a George Strait type of song. Can't go wrong with that!

+ Reply to Thread