+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dive Bar

I was thinking, with Dive Bar and All Day Long, I really hope he keeps the Neon Circle G theme for the album cover, as it would perfectly fit the tone of the songs we've heard so far.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I was thinking, with Dive Bar and All Day Long, I really hope he keeps the Neon Circle G theme for the album cover, as it would perfectly fit the tone of the songs we've heard so far.
    Maybe update it/ put a bit more into the cover but yeah... I agree, use it (at least partially) for the cover!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

This song may be the end of both of their careers! Lol. It's not bad. But it's more of the same Garth as released since his comeback that hasn't worked. I like it cause it's Garth and catchy. Maybe it'll make it to the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    This song may be the end of both of their careers! Lol. It's not bad. But it's more of the same Garth as released since his comeback that hasn't worked. I like it cause it's Garth and catchy. Maybe it'll make it to the top 5.
    good points in some respect... I dont' know if its a career ender, it sounds like somewhat more of the same certainly.. but that's kinda the sound he's heading towards currently.. it'll make a run- how far? depends on how 'summer' treats it

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I know everyone has their opinion, but I actually disagree pretty strongly and I'm surprised. I kind of expected to hate this song because I really haven't liked many of his singles since the comeback.
    - "People Loving People" felt like this narcissitic attempt to heal the world through a 2nd rate version of "We Shall Be Free".
    - "Mom" and "Stronger Than Me" were just so sappy it almost felt ridiculous.
    - "Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance" was just terrible.

That leaves "All Day Long" as a pretty decent song (horrible production) and "Ask Me How I Know" which I really liked.

This to me feels more authentic than just about any single he has released since the comeback. I hear the 90s Garth in there and for the first time, in a long time, I'm actually excited about his new music.

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from that it is the same old sound he's been focusing on, but the difference is this feels like a more radio friendly song without being a complete sellout to try to pander to radio. It feels like Garth. Good grief, there is a prominent steel guitar in there. When's the last time you heard that on country radio?

This is why despite getting frustrated I love the guy. There are moments he hits it out of the park and I think this is it. Even if it flops at radio I think this is a great record. I haven't worked in radio since the early 2000s so I don't claim to know how radio will respond to this. I'll just be shocked if this is a total flop though.

I think he's trying to get as close to bro country but making it about bars instead of pickup trucks. I like it. But he keeps coming back to this type of tempo and topics of alcohol instead of songs that tell a story like he was good at.

Now that I will agree with. I still think this may do well.

Yeah I really like this and All Day Long. One thing about both of those songs and even Honky-Tonk Somewhere (which I think is the best song on Gunslinger) is that even though they're similar in topic, tempo, and tone, the lyrics and plays on words (to me, anyway) are actually rather clever and the melodies are classic Garth. Add Midnight Sun, Beer Run, Under the Table, Please Operator, Longneck Bottle, Two Pina Coladas, and FILP and you've got a pretty good Bar compilation / playlist.

Btw... if anyone wants or needs a copy of Dive Bar, pm me. I maybe possibly might be able to help you out.

Hmm- after second listening- I def. do like it a bit better- just wish it wasn't so short, and Garth's right (at least at the beginning) they do sound alike

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I think he's trying to get as close to bro country but making it about bars instead of pickup trucks. I like it. But he keeps coming back to this type of tempo and topics of alcohol instead of songs that tell a story like he was good at.
    Welcome to modern day country music. It's part of the reason I barely listen to do it anymore.

I went into it thinking I will hate this song but I actually really like it. It is better then all day long and the train wreck that stronger then me was. It gives me hope for the rest of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I know everyone has their opinion, but I actually disagree pretty strongly and I'm surprised. I kind of expected to hate this song because I really haven't liked many of his singles since the comeback.
    - "People Loving People" felt like this narcissitic attempt to heal the world through a 2nd rate version of "We Shall Be Free".
    - "Mom" and "Stronger Than Me" were just so sappy it almost felt ridiculous.
    - "Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance" was just terrible.

That leaves "All Day Long" as a pretty decent song (horrible production) and "Ask Me How I Know" which I really liked.

This to me feels more authentic than just about any single he has released since the comeback. I hear the 90s Garth in there and for the first time, in a long time, I'm actually excited about his new music.

I guess I can see where you guys are coming from that it is the same old sound he's been focusing on, but the difference is this feels like a more radio friendly song without being a complete sellout to try to pander to radio. It feels like Garth. Good grief, there is a prominent steel guitar in there. When's the last time you heard that on country radio?

This is why despite getting frustrated I love the guy. There are moments he hits it out of the park and I think this is it. Even if it flops at radio I think this is a great record. I haven't worked in radio since the early 2000s so I don't claim to know how radio will respond to this. I'll just be shocked if this is a total flop though.

This is pretty spot-on to me. I liked some of the album cuts off MAM and Gunslinger (I actually kind of like Pure Adrenaline), but almost everything has suffered from very poor production - until this track. I don't know if they used Blake Shelton's producer or if they got something figured out, but the vocals seem to fit much better in the mix on Dive Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlpadacas View Post
    This is pretty spot-on to me. I liked some of the album cuts off MAM and Gunslinger (I actually kind of like Pure Adrenaline), but almost everything has suffered from very poor production - until this track. I don't know if they used Blake Shelton's producer or if they got something figured out, but the vocals seem to fit much better in the mix on Dive Bar.
    Yes, I'm hoping the other songs we've heard off "Fun" so far are just rough mixes compared to the finished, fully mixed and mastered album.

If anyone needs a copy of Dive Bar please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankfanken View Post
    If anyone needs a copy of Dive Bar please let me know
    Pretty much every track starting with BIAOMR has had the same shortcomings.

+ Reply to Thread