+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garth compared to Tim and Kenny

Garth compared to Tim and Kenny

Garth is the bigger superstar but why is it he struggles to get his current songs in the top 10 while Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney are pretty much from the same decade and will routinely have a monster hit every couple of years. Ex., Humble and Kind and Get Along, etc. going back to the 90s?

It's been noted that artists like Garth and KISS are living on the success of the first 5 years of their careers. But these two guys have remained constant. You could throw in Keith Urban with that if you wanted to. Is it who the song writers are or being is it in better touch of what the current fans want? We know Garth gets the promotion that other artists don't get for his singles, but they still fall flat on the charts and radio.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Garth is the bigger superstar but why is it he struggles to get his current songs in the top 10 while Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney are pretty much from the same decade and will routinely have a monster hit every couple of years. Ex., Humble and Kind and Get Along, etc. going back to the 90s?

It's been noted that artists like Garth and KISS are living on the success of the first 5 years of their careers. But these two guys have remained constant. You could throw in Keith Urban with that if you wanted to. Is it who the song writers are or being is it in better touch of what the current fans want? We know Garth gets the promotion that other artists don't get for his singles, but they still fall flat on the charts and radio.
    It's hard to say the full impact that the retirement years had. I don't think he'd change a second of it, but it can't be denied that leaving the industry for nearly 15 years made it appear that he is no longer a contemporary artist. Another thing is that Kenny, Keith, and Tim, being very physically fit, come across as a lot younger and contemporary than their ages would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    It's hard to say the full impact that the retirement years had. I don't think he'd change a second of it, but it can't be denied that leaving the industry for nearly 15 years made it appear that he is no longer a contemporary artist. Another thing is that Kenny, Keith, and Tim, being very physically fit, come across as a lot younger and contemporary than their ages would indicate.
    Good points! Kenny is 51 but you can't tell. Keith is around 50 too.

Garth does not promote his albums or singles. Ask me how I know showed if you put out a good single it will make it. He also promoted the single by playing it on shows. On gunslinger he left a few songs that could have been singles. On MAM he could have pushed a few more.

Second problem is he is so anti YouTube it hurts him. He will cry it is because of the writers but we all know it is because he wants sales and records. I can go on YouTube right now and watch any of Kenny or Timís videos and Garth pulls them if they go up cause he is greedy. Canít tell you how many artist have been mentioned to me that I looked up on YouTube and became a fan.

Tim and Kenny want to be real artist while Garth has become a novelty act that wants to figure out ways to sell you the same songs over and over.

Gunslinger was utter garbage. It is unlistenable.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Dang, I woulda added some to this discussion, but right now, most of the good points have been made!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    Gunslinger was utter garbage. It is unlistenable.
    Thatís how I feel about MAM and Sevens

MAM and Gunslinger both were garbage. On Keith, Kenny and Tim's fitness. Kenny has always been a fitness fanatic. Keith I'm sure has a personal trainer. Tim said he dropped 30 lbs when he stopped drinking. Garth is your typical 50+ year old male. He's overweight because more than likely he doesn't exercise and eats what Trisha cooks. On why radio doesn't play him like the others. Well those guys have kept up with the trends of country music. Garth wants his music to be "country." I don't think the 15 yr layoff did him any favors either.

Garth tries to look young by dying his hair and facial hair way too dark. Yikes. He needs to lose the facial hair altogether and lose the beard...forever.
    As far as his singles tanking at radio, he needed to release more songs off MAM and Gunslinger.
    On MAM, “She’s Tired of Boys,” “Cold Like That,” and “Midnight Train” should have been singles but he kept blaming RCA for not releasing more songs off MAM. Gunslinger-“Honky-Tonk Somewhere,” “He Really Loves You,” and everyone’s most hated song but one that I love, “Sugarcane.”
    He’s not releasing his album “Fun” because Trisha has a new single out and he doesn’t want to overshadow her is my guess. But he promoted the hell out of “Ask Me How I Know” but none of the others. I just don’t get it. He has good songs that he doesn’t release. And some awful songs that he should have never released to radio.
    As far as his weight, that has no bearing whatsoever on his success of sending singles to radio.
    Last edited by LostSessions; 06-04-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

That's some good feeback. I personally didn't care that much for MAM. Something about it just wasn't good enough. Maybe because the right singles weren't selected for release. But I love Gunslinger. I think that is more Garth than MAM.

During his retirement he did have More Than A Memory which seemed to show that Garth still had it and that there was some more number 1s to look forward to when he returned. Maybe there are still some we have yet to hear. In the meantime, he does have a great catalogue from the 90s that still makes him great. And it's still great to hear his voice on new stuff, even it no longer tops the charts. Maybe later in his career there will be another whole catalogue of stuff we get to hear that was recorded through the years but never released. He did talk this week about recording Joe Nichols stuff and meeting with Pink to song write. I bet they put something on tape even though he said they just talked about family.

I can't stand all this hate for MAM

But let's see, Garth is his own label, he refuses to play with iTunes and Youtube so he's fallen way behind.

FWIW, I think Tim's radio days are numbered and Kenny's last album definitely under-performed sales wise.

Yeah I really like MAM. The only song I don't like on that one is the title track. But Midnight Train is an all-time top 5 Garth song for me. Simply amazing!! Tacoma, Rodeo & Juliet, Mom, Send Em On Down the Road, You Wreck Me, and People Loving People are also great tracks. (btw... in the middle of Rodeo & Juliet, there's a woman who says something in the background at about the 1:22 mark that I've never been able to understand... can anyone help me out?). All in all, I really like it and I like the chances that he took on it. I wish he would have kept the original plan and released it as a double album.

That said, I also agree that Gunslinger sounds more like traditional "Garth." Honky-Tonk Somewhere and Whiskey to Wine are some of my all time favorites --- I can just listen to them over and over and never get tired of them. I also really like Weekend, He Really Loves You, Ask Me How I Know, and Cowboys and Friends. I have even come to really like Bang Bang as a fun, don't take it too seriously kind of song. I like the tune of BLLDAD but the lyrics are a little icky (hey, we just met, let's do the horizontal tango). And then there's my least favorite Garth song of all time, Sugarcane. What a terrible song!! I can't even begin to describe the issues that I have with almost every part of it. But since that song and the less than stellar 25th anniversary of FILP aren't even on the standard album, I don't let it affect my overall opinion of it. More or less, I think Gunslinger overall is pretty great and I still listen to it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    I can't stand all this hate for MAM

But let's see, Garth is his own label, he refuses to play with iTunes and Youtube so he's fallen way behind.

FWIW, I think Tim's radio days are numbered and Kenny's last album definitely under-performed sales wise.
    Kenny's last album was sort of a specialty album. It was inspired by and dedicated to all the hurricane victims in the Caribeean. He had one last decade that was like that too. He seems to like to take the liberty to experiment every once in a while since he has the capital to do that. It's actually a good album. He'll rebound sales wise on the next one.

Tim does seem like he may need to reinvent himself. His latest single has not done well.

I think MAM is an album you either love or hate. I like it because it was his comeback album. His voice comes thru good on it. Midnight Train is him at his best. But it underperformed in my opinion from someone who had 15 years to produce something equivalent to what made him big in the first place. And he still hasn't really regained what that was. But he doesn't have to.

I think iTunes is an old argument now. Garth is on Amazon now and lots of people have Amazon.

I actually think both MAM & Gunslinger are good (not great) albums. It’s never been the music I’ve had problems with. It’s just the way he’s conducted business lately.

Garth just went 12 rounds with you guys after reading this- Im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    Garth just went 12 rounds with you guys after reading this- Im sure.
    Does he even know this places exists?

RE: I think iTunes is an old argument now. Garth is on Amazon now and lots of people have Amazon.

Do they ? I thought it was one of the lower tier streaming services, definitely behind Apple and Spotify

It's still huge, a few people use Amazon site buy stuff once in a while....

Oh absolutely, but how many of the people that pay for prime are Garth fans? I think someone posted the stats recently and they weren't very impressive.

Does anyone recall that thread?

Oh absolutely, but how many of the people that pay for prime are Garth fans? I think someone posted the stats recently and they weren't very impressive.

I do recall the thread, Amazon stats were awful, not a major player at all, far from it.

I don't think there are many people looking for Garth unless you are a Garth fan. Maybe that will pick up a little if this new single with Blake is good. But if you are Garth fan, I would imagine you have Amazon music. It's so much better than Itunes anyway. They have almost every song. If it's numbers are low, it cause people just haven't tried it out yet. If you don't do it because you boycott streaming or online stuff, then you're just going to find it harder to get what you want. Even Trisha in an interview this past week came out and said this new album is probably her last because she's seen more success with releasing singles that can be streamed compared to all the effort that goes behind making an album that people don't appreciate as much as the artist who makes it does.

But like I said earlier, the Itunes thing is old. Why do we still argue about it????????

I don't think there are many people looking for Garth unless you are a Garth fan. Maybe that will pick up a little if this new single with Blake is good. But if you are Garth fan, I would imagine you have Amazon music. It's so much better than Itunes anyway.
    Here's the best part about that statement- it's an opinion.. While I agree that there may not be many people looking for Garth unless they're a garth fan (heck a casual glance at the local radio playlists, where Garth is playing TONIGHT in Denver, shows that they really haven't been playing his music much).. Better than iTunes? ehh.. that's the opinion part.

They have almost every song.
    .... I have not culled through every corner of every song of every artist in every genre, I'd wager this is opinion too..

If it's numbers are low, it cause people just haven't tried it out yet.
    also opinion- perhaps they dont' like streaming their music? or prefer physical purchases? just saying.

If you don't do it because you boycott streaming or online stuff, then you're just going to find it harder to get what you want.
    thats def a true statement- streaming/digital is the way of the future, in many forms. music, games, movies.. you name it

Even Trisha in an interview this past week came out and said this new album is probably her last because she's seen more success with releasing singles that can be streamed compared to all the effort that goes behind making an album that people don't appreciate as much as the artist who makes it does.
    Now if only Garth could learn from TY's opinion here and make some changes in a way.. go digital. to a point

But like I said earlier, the Itunes thing is old. Why do we still argue about it????????
    Why? because there are strong opinions all around- we can all find stats and figures to back our feelings and preferences. you for example I'm sure could find stats up there for your points re: amazon.

a cursory glance brought this quote in iTunes favor

Amazon vs Apple Music: The Verdict

Overall, if you are looking for greater quality at an amazing price, you must have to go for the Apple Music or iTunes. On the other hand, if you would like to have a large music catalogue that also includes the rarest collections like rare tribal songs of China, you should go for Amazon Music Unlimited.

Otherwise, there is no reason to hang around the Amazon Music. It costs more, yet the service is unsatisfactory. The only drawback Apple Music has is its buggy and heavy windows apps, otherwise, Amazon Music is no match to Apple Music and iTunes.
    apples v oranges.
    coke v pepsi
    mac vs pc
    iOS vs android
    dc vs marvel

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Good analysis. However, I've never had an issue with Amazon music and can steam any artist and their songs I've ever wanted. Maybe if you are glued in on just one or two artists it's not the best. I've been able to explore several other artists and their music that I normally wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Does he even know this places exists?
    Actually, other Garth fans I've come across stay away from this site because it's too negative about him.

Good analysis. However, I've never had an issue with Amazon music and can steam any artist and their songs I've ever wanted. Maybe if you are glued in on just one or two artists it's not the best. I've been able to explore several other artists and their music that I normally wouldn't have.
    Fair nough- though I’d say as an Itunes person I also can accomplish the same things with them. I do know that (IMO at least) both services would show the weak state of country music as a whole equally

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Actually, other Garth fans I've come across stay away from this site because it's too negative about him.
    Lol ok that made me chuckle-

I am sure Garth’s aware of it (almost positive of that based on experience from about 14 yrs ago or so) but I doubt he reads it- peripheral members of his influence may though

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I know people have different opinions on this, but I personally believe there is a HUGE difference between just being mean/negative and giving educated, legitimate criticism. There are extremes here for sure. There are some that praise everything Garth does. Others criticize everything he does. However, I don’t think that is most. It’s been my experience that most people here love Garth, but are simply frustrated with things and express those views. I usually love what Skywise & Emerald say. They make outstanding points at times. As long as its not mean spirited and an educated, legitimate viewpoint to me that is not necessarily mean or negative. People comment and get frustrated BECAUSE THEY CARE.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I know people have different opinions on this, but I personally believe there is a HUGE difference between just being mean/negative and giving educated, legitimate criticism. There are extremes here for sure. There are some that praise everything Garth does. Others criticize everything he does. However, I donít think that is most. Itís been my experience that most people here love Garth, but are simply frustrated with things and express those views. I usually love what Skywise & Emerald say. They make outstanding points at times. As long as its not mean spirited and an educated, legitimate viewpoint to me that is not necessarily mean or negative. People comment and get frustrated BECAUSE THEY CARE.

Just my two cents.

Good points. And I'm not trying to take shots at everyone here. I'm just relaying what I've heard. It doesn't change the way things are and will be.

Garth has admitted that in the past, he has read the site. I am quite sure someone close to him still does. Yes, we are opinionated- much more so over the past 5-10 years. That's OK. PG is just a shell of what it used to be. It will never go back to that. Facebook rules the net now.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    Garth has admitted that in the past, he has read the site. I am quite sure someone close to him still does. Yes, we are opinionated- much more so over the past 5-10 years. That's OK. PG is just a shell of what it used to be. It will never go back to that. Facebook rules the net now.
    Facebook is only popular with the 40+ crowd. In the past 2 years it's lost almost 20 million users. That might seem like a lot but that's about 10% of their user base. Message boards started dying with the invention of social media. Myspace was the first one that started the decline. Before that forums were the only place you could chat in real time besides AIM. Not only do you have places like Twitter, Facebook but there's also Discord.

+ Reply to Thread