+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apple Shutting down Itunes

Apple Shutting down Itunes

Okay, if someone can really dumb it down for me.

Apple is turning Itunes into three diferent apps??

So you can now only use Itunes on your cellphone???

So what sites will become the main player to download music?

Im guessing its not Amazon????

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Cheers. Im guessing those that have itunes on a windows PC, wont lose the music they already have?

For the record, I honestly don't know, but hopefully users will have a way to back those files up. Second if this is about Garth and Itunes, you need to face reality and let it go, he ain't gonna do it.

I guess you can call them Ghost Tunes 2.0 now....lol

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    I guess you can call them Ghost Tunes 2.0 now....lol
    Obviously you are joking here, but I couldn't help but think of the fact that iTunes completely reshaped the music industry and changed the model while Ghost Tunes was non-existent to anyone who was not a die-hard Garth fan.

My first thought was that iTunes is shutting down and Garth has yet to embrace selling his music digitally. We have now gone on to full on streaming. Garth is now literally an entire generation behind in technology.

iTunes as a single app that sells, streams, and plays music, movies, and podcasts is only dying in its current form. The single app will be replaced by 3 separate apps that will handle each of those segments of media separately. So there will still be a music app that sells, streams, and plays music. The AppleTV app will now sell, stream, and play movies & TV shows. And the podcasts app will now serve all the podcast subscription functions that are currently in iTunes. iBooks used to be sold and managed through iTunes but it got its own app years ago.

It’s already working mostly like this on iOS, but now Apple will do the same on MacOS. The change isn’t really that huge. Instead of one app to do everything, the same functions will now be split up into multiple, less clunky apps.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Garth is now literally an entire generation behind in technology.
    Umm no he isn't, you can stream him on Amazon Music, can't do it on Spotify for free but Amazon Music is actually pretty cheap. Not trying to attack your opinion or anything, but you're not using common sense.

Plus Amazon said in a press release a couple months ago that Garth was one of the top 10 artists streaming on Amazon. Not a big thing but still....I personally will stay a dino and support CDs and vinyl. Maybe if Garth changes I will but highly doubtful. All the artists I love do vinyl and CDs still so I am happy. If a emp or solar flare kills technology I will still have my CD player and batteries.

Umm no he isn't, you can stream him on Amazon Music, can't do it on Spotify for free but Amazon Music is actually pretty cheap. Not trying to attack your opinion or anything, but you're not using common sense.
    Wow! “Not using common sense.” He is available nowhere digitally but Amazon. He refuses to stream anyway but Amazon. Name another major artist that is only available on one platform like that and makes their music that difficult to get. I’m sorry, it’s well known he is totally behind the times.

So it is kind of offensive to say I’m “not using common sense” but technically you are correct. His music is available digital/streaming but I’m going to stress that it is “technically” available. I used my lack of common sense to do a little research to prove my point that I’m trying to make. There are 247.5 million people that subscribe to a monthly streaming service. Amazon picks up just over 12 million of those people. In other words, Amazon is just slightly over 5% of the streaming market. That means for 95% of all people that subscribe to a streaming service his music IS NOT AVAILABLE! 95%!!! As far as buying music digitally, sure you can buy his full albums on Amazon, again not most peoples go to to buy digital music. Of course, you have to buy his full albums which the average music consumer hasn’t done for 15-20 years.

Technically you are right, you can get his music digitally and streaming but practically, in a world where everything is at our fingertips, it’s not readily available like every other artist on the planet. That’s my point and I don’t think that point is devoid of common sense.

Okay some really really dumb questions about streaming Garth with Amazon.

Am I right in saying that........

You can download a whole Garth album from Amazon, without having to sign up to anything extra??? (an annual payment)

You can buy a physical Garth album from amazon without having to sign up to anything extra??? (an annual payment)

If you want to stream songs from a Garth album (without downloading it) You have to subscribe to Amazon, (an annual payment)?

If you want to download an individual song from a Garth Album, you have to subscirbe to amazon (an annual payment)

You of course can buy any physical Garth album from stores in the usa?

You cannot download/stream any Garth album from any other site other than amazon?

You can buy a Physical Garth Brooks album from online stores other than amazon eg: walmart Target??????

So it is kind of offensive to say I’m “not using common sense” but technically you are correct. His music is available digital/streaming but I’m going to stress that it is “technically” available. I used my lack of common sense to do a little research to prove my point that I’m trying to make. There are 247.5 million people that subscribe to a monthly streaming service. Amazon picks up just over 12 million of those people. In other words, Amazon is just slightly over 5% of the streaming market. That means for 95% of all people that subscribe to a streaming service his music IS NOT AVAILABLE! 95%!!! As far as buying music digitally, sure you can buy his full albums on Amazon, again not most peoples go to to buy digital music. Of course, you have to buy his full albums which the average music consumer hasn’t done for 15-20 years.

Technically you are right, you can get his music digitally and streaming but practically, in a world where everything is at our fingertips, it’s not readily available like every other artist on the planet. That’s my point and I don’t think that point is devoid of common sense.
    What are the top streaming services in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    What are the top streaming services in the USA?
    Apple Music and Spotify are the top 2 with close to 50 million users each. Amazon is #7 with 12 million for all of 2018. Most artists are available on all of them with some exceptions because of certain licensing issues. In other words, almost 250 million have access to just about anything they want. About 12 million have access to Garth music.

Looking further it appears about 100 million pay for services and about 150 million use free options. In most cases that means it’s not “on demand” streaming.

You will find various stats out there. I did see one that focused on 4th quarter of 2018 that said Amazon was higher. Regardless it’s one service out of about 10 options and it excludes an enormous portion of streamers.

Apple Music and Spotify are the top 2 with close to 50 million users each. Amazon is #7 with 12 million for all of 2018. Most artists are available on all of them with some exceptions because of certain licensing issues. In other words, almost 250 million have access to just about anything they want. About 12 million have access to Garth music.

Looking further it appears about 100 million pay for services and about 150 million use free options. In most cases that means it’s not “on demand” streaming.

You will find various stats out there. I did see one that focused on 4th quarter of 2018 that said Amazon was higher. Regardless it’s one service out of about 10 options and it excludes an enormous portion of streamers.
    wow Amazon is only ranked 7th?

Out of interest, is Trisha on all platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    wow Amazon is only ranked 7th?

Out of interest, is Trisha on all platforms?
    Trisha is on Spotify and iTunes. I was not expecting "Let's Be Frank" to be on either, but they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    iTunes as a single app that sells, streams, and plays music, movies, and podcasts is only dying in its current form. The single app will be replaced by 3 separate apps that will handle each of those segments of media separately. So there will still be a music app that sells, streams, and plays music. The AppleTV app will now sell, stream, and play movies & TV shows. And the podcasts app will now serve all the podcast subscription functions that are currently in iTunes. iBooks used to be sold and managed through iTunes but it got its own app years ago.

It’s already working mostly like this on iOS, but now Apple will do the same on MacOS. The change isn’t really that huge. Instead of one app to do everything, the same functions will now be split up into multiple, less clunky apps.
    Thank you for streamlining the way it works. It actually makes sense you when think about. My question is what happens to people with PC's.

Just a note. Some artists will only release an album to one streaming service for a period of time before opening it up to others. Beyoce just saw here album from last year chart because she opened it up to all after only having it on Spotify or the one her hubbie supports. And if I remember right, Taylor Swift gave one service an exclusive for a period of time also. Every artist is different. I personally think Garth should do a bundling package if he is interested in helping his numbers. Plus with his foray into vinyl I hope he does something for Record Day, maybe a limited edition vinyl of Chris Gaines or No Fences. I don't like the way they count streaming for sales either. Using the every X number of songs played to equal 1 sale seems kinda geared to radio friendly music. One song can get so many plays and make an album a hit while rest of songs never get played, yet album can debut at #1. Atleast that is the way I understand it. But again I prefer CD or vinyl so I am happy with the status quo.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I'm wondering- how long till people start complaining that they have to have 3 diff. apps now, and "I wish they had it all in one" - those type of complaints.. they'll happen..

shouldn't be too big a change overall- they've been trying to find ways to streamline/make macOS a bit more like IOS for a while now
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I'm wondering- how long till people start complaining that they have to have 3 diff. apps now, and "I wish they had it all in one" - those type of complaints.. they'll happen..

shouldn't be too big a change overall- they've been trying to find ways to streamline/make macOS a bit more like IOS for a while now
    Yeppers!

Ain't that the truth...

I've been an Apple guy for about 10 years at this point (I think) and I never had any issues with iTunes, so I'm sad to see it go but so long as I can still buy music downloads then I am a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    I've been an Apple guy for about 10 years at this point (I think) and I never had any issues with iTunes, so I'm sad to see it go but so long as I can still buy music downloads then I am a happy camper.
    I have to watch the keynote from today's WWDC start, so that I can see what it's truly gonna be- reading rumors/reports while at the pool w/ my son- not easy and not conducive to understanding all of it..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I have to watch the keynote from today's WWDC start, so that I can see what it's truly gonna be- reading rumors/reports while at the pool w/ my son- not easy and not conducive to understanding all of it..
    Essentially Apple Music will have a standalone app for your music. You can still buy songs and albums.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Essentially Apple Music will have a standalone app for your music. You can still buy songs and albums.
    buying songs and albums are great.. I don't want to be dependent on apple music's subscription system though.. I'm curious (and will have to watch) to know more about what's gonna happen with music I already have in my "library" as it were. what about stuff I want to add/manage via my mac. if I can do that w/ the music app (ala iTunes now) I'm mostly good w/ it

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Sounds like people with PCs are screwed

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Sounds like people with PCs are screwed
    According to an article I read, iTunes on PC’s won’t be affected at all.

I burn all my stuff off YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I burn all my stuff off YouTube.
    I've done that with some of my stuff

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

As some have mentioned already, as long as Apple lets me buy a song or songs, I’m good with the split. And I better not lose my 2,500 songs I have paid for on iTunes on my PC. I really don’t understand what’s going on but this is my hopes.
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

+ Reply to Thread