+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garth Brooks Special Announcement April 8th (Build Series)

I don't know, U2 is still making big records with big accolades and they're not afraid to play their new stuff.

My favorite Bruce album was 2012's Wrecking Ball and Rolling Stone declared it his best album he ever made. And Bruce plays the perfect mix of setlists

I guess what I'm trying to say is Garth could stand to be a little more like U2 & Bruce a bit
    if you could see yourself the way that others do, you'd wish you were as beautiful as you

I wonder how Garth would do right now with the country music market. Brooks and Dunn, Reba and George have the top 3 albums on the country chart this week while Billy Ray Cyrus has a #1 on the pop chart and his Achy Breaky Heart is moving up the country chart again as well as his song on the Billboard 100. I would strike while the iron was hot. :-) Maybe the younger generation is getting smart about music. Or us older folks are using our wallets to make a move on good music. And the ACMs had a lot of older acts on stage.

He just had a record breaking tour exposing the younger generation to his music. He had a number one single and a network concert that did very good in the ratings. He can be huge again in country music he just has to

Stop putting new albums in box sets
    Select good singles (stronger then me and mom were duds out the gate
    Put out an album select good singles
    Advertise the new album

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    ar. He needs to decide is he going to live in the past and be a guy who tours and try’s to pad numbers or is he going to make a real push to be number one again.
    Why does he have to decide anything? He has a built in fan base that's still around from the 90s. Look at how the stadium shows are selling out. Even when fans get ticked when the first round of his vinyl being sold is botched, they still come back and love him. Because he's one of us at the end of the day with a stroke of genius when it comes to marketing. Who even pays attention to number 1s on the radio anymore? Or number 1 in album sells for the week for that matter with streaming available. But when you see thousands of people showing up to see you at huge stadiums in every part of the country, why would anyone need to make different decisions? He's giving the people what they want based off how they buy tickets to his shows. And he knows these are people who have seen him multiple times but STILL want to see the same thing again.

Although Garth is my favorite artist I'm a pretty big fan of several huge rock bands like Aerosmith, Metallica and Kiss and follow their message boards as well. It's so funny because it is basically the same type of arguing on every message board regardless of the artist.

My theory on why this happens is very simple. The people who care passionately enough about an artist to post on their message boards regularly are a very, very small minority of an artist's following. Sure, we are the "best" fans (if I do say so myself HA!) because we pay attention to every album, song, concert and move an artist makes. We analyze the setlist, we pour over sales information, we argue over what should be released as a single, how a product should be marketed or which album is the most underrated. We don't just go to the concert in our city, but sometimes we go to several in our city or make a road trip to other cities. We know the banter between songs, the minor changes in the setlist or when we've seen an insanely rare song played in housekeeping.

The average music fan is lucky if they even know all the songs on a greatest hits album. My friends and I have even coined a term for this kind of fan which is the last name of one of our friends who is a very, very casual music fan. He only owns and knows the greatest hits albums by his favorite artists.

I think we have to keep this in mind. In most cases an artist isn't going after us. We are such a small percentage even if we were lost we wouldn't make a dent in their overall bottom line. It is the casual fan that makes their careers run. It is clear by the way Garth does things that this is his focus. From a business perspective I don't blame him, but as a hardcore fan it is disappointing. I've just come to the realization that it is what it is. He is going to continue to cram his 90s hits/catalog down our throats because that is all 99% of the fans out there care about. Very few are clamoring for the new Garth album and there would probably be a mass exodus to the bathroom if he broke out 2 new songs in a row. That is just the reality of it all. I'm not saying that is what I want, but it is the truth.

That is why when we get something like "Guy Goin' Nowhere" or "Unwound" on Triple Live I get excited. That is why if I catch "Hard Luck Woman" played in housekeeping I savor it as if I've just spotted Bigfoot. We have to take what we can get because we aren't the focus. We aren't who he is marketing too and trying to sell his product to. Streaming is only making fans more casual and music more disposable. To me it is destroying the album and the way we grew up listening to music. I don't think it's good because you don't have to invest in an artist and what they do. You just have to pay your $10 a month and music now is disposable as that bad 80s movie on Netflix.

At the end of the day the discussions are interesting and fun. Shoot, I even jump in the middle of them often, but I just think it is important to remind ourselves that most people don't care like we do. Most people don't even know what Garth is doing now, the projects in the pipeline or anything else. They just see Garth is playing a stadium show in their city and they like "FILP", "The Dance" and "Unanswered Prayers" and want to go.

I guess my point is we can gripe, complain and get angry he doesn't do what we want him to do or we can realize that we are so in the minority that if he did what we wanted it wouldn't pull in the casual fan. That casual fan, as much as they annoy me, are essential to his massive career.
    Last edited by rhd13; 04-18-2019 at 11:58 AM.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Although Garth is my favorite artist I'm a pretty big fan of several huge rock bands like Aerosmith, Metallica and Kiss and follow their message boards as well. It's so funny because it is basically the same type of arguing on every message board regardless of the artist.

My theory on why this happens is very simple. The people who care passionately enough about an artist to post on their message boards regularly are a very, very small minority of an artist's following. Sure, we are the "best" fans (if I do say so myself HA!) because we pay attention to every album, song, concert and move an artist makes. We analyze the setlist, we pour over sales information, we argue over what should be released as a single, how a product should be marketed or which album is the most underrated. We don't just go to the concert in our city, but sometimes we go to several in our city or make a road trip to other cities. We know the banter between songs, the minor changes in the setlist or when we've seen an insanely rare song played in housekeeping.

The average music fan is lucky if they even know all the songs on a greatest hits album. My friends and I have even coined a term for this kind of fan which is the last name of one of our friends who is a very, very casual music fan. He only owns and knows the greatest hits albums by his favorite artists.

I think we have to keep this in mind. In most cases an artist isn't going after us. We are such a small percentage even if we were lost we wouldn't make a dent in their overall bottom line. It is the casual fan that makes their careers run. It is clear by the way Garth does things that this is his focus. From a business perspective I don't blame him, but as a hardcore fan it is disappointing. I've just come to the realization that it is what it is. He is going to continue to cram his 90s hits/catalog down our throats because that is all 99% of the fans out there care about. Very few are clamoring for the new Garth album and there would probably be a mass exodus to the bathroom if he broke out 2 new songs in a row. That is just the reality of it all. I'm not saying that is what I want, but it is the truth.

That is why when we get something like "Guy Goin' Nowhere" or "Unwound" on Triple Live I get excited. That is why if I catch "Hard Luck Woman" played in housekeeping I savor it as if I've just spotted Bigfoot. We have to take what we can get because we aren't the focus. We aren't who he is marketing too and trying to sell his product to. Streaming is only making fans more casual and music more disposable. To me it is destroying the album and the way we grew up listening to music. I don't think it's good because you don't have to invest in an artist and what they do. You just have to pay your $10 a month and music now is disposable as that bad 80s movie on Netflix.

At the end of the day the discussions are interesting and fun. Shoot, I even jump in the middle of them often, but I just think it is important to remind ourselves that most people don't care like we do. Most people don't even know what Garth is doing now, the projects in the pipeline or anything else. They just see Garth is playing a stadium show in their city and they like "FILP", "The Dance" and "Unanswered Prayers" and want to go.

I guess my point is we can gripe, complain and get angry he doesn't do what we want him to do or we can realize that we are so in the minority that if he did what we wanted it wouldn't pull in the casual fan. That casual fan, as much as they annoy me, are essential to his massive career.
    Ok, Ryan- I was all set to jump in as a few of the replies in this thread were begging a response of some sort.. but BOOM.. you hit the nail on the head and I don't know if I could have said it any better- great post man, great post!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Ok, Ryan- I was all set to jump in as a few of the replies in this thread were begging a response of some sort.. but BOOM.. you hit the nail on the head and I don't know if I could have said it any better- great post man, great post!
    Agreed!! Great insight and analysis. I fully agree. Fantastic post!

Unfortunately, you are so right, rhd13!
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

I agree but I have no doubt Garth reads this page. He can’t make it on die hard fans only but that does not mean you forget your inner circle either. I am just asking for him to throw us a bone once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I wonder how Garth would do right now with the country music market. Brooks and Dunn, Reba and George have the top 3 albums on the country chart this week while Billy Ray Cyrus has a #1 on the pop chart and [COLOR="rgb(0, 0, 0)"]his Achy Breaky Heart is moving up the country chart again[/COLOR] as well as his song on the Billboard 100. I would strike while the iron was hot. :-) Maybe the younger generation is getting smart about music. Or us older folks are using our wallets to make a move on good music. And the ACMs had a lot of older acts on stage.
    Shoot me now...

is it really? (I've not paid attention to the charts in a while)

that song... ugh... horrible.... #1 song in 1992 I think, #1 most hated song in 1993.. Only two chords the entire song, an E and an A if I remember right... yikes

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

The Bain of my Toddler Years.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    The Bain of my Toddler Years.
    Dang I'm old.. I was a sophomore in college

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread