+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Country music on the decline.

Country music on the decline.

I just read tonight about how Latin music is getting more popular now and it is selling more music than country. As of now Hip-pop is the most popular followed by pop, then rock, then r&b then Latin then country then edm whatever that is. Country only makes up about 8 percent of the market. When I think of how much I hear people around me loving country now, I would have never thought it was getting that unpopular. So now I can just look at those people and think I loved country back in the day when they thought it was crap and I loved it when it was the most popular.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Hip Hop being #1 doesn't surprise me.

That music sucks
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

In the USA, the best country in the world
    This type of statistic, while potentially troublesome, brings to my mind something a friend of mine/former youth director of mine said when I visited him 20 years ago in Nashville.. he talked about Country music being cyclical. Talked about how things once had swayed way out towards pop/disco in the 70s, and then swung or started to swing back when George Strait came on the scene.. through the 80s and 90s it began (and continued ) to swing back the other way... (I'd say the pendulum has swung far out in another direction w/ the current slate of music now)..

in the same way, popularity of country has been cyclical- it was really popular in the 80s with urban cow boy/the traditional sound coming back (in some areas), began to get a large mainstream following with the Garth led early to mid 90s (when line dancing exploded too), and now had 'swung' away popularity wise.

just a thought...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    That music sucks

very little of hip hop music is interesting at all to me.. I agree, it's not great music as a whole

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I don't care. I prefer country music, and there is plaenty of it to satisfy MY desires. I don't give 4 hoots whether other people like it. I do, and that is all that matters to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    I don't care. I prefer country music, and there is plaenty of it to satisfy MY desires. I don't give 4 hoots whether other people like it. I do, and that is all that matters to me.
    I def prefer country.... not too much a fan of the newer, bro country type of stuff but even That sounds better than a lot of what is out there on pop radio..

I've found myself really enjoying the 80s/90s country top 100 channel on SiriusXM lately...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

My thing is if Country Music hadn't gotten so stupid in the past few years, things would be a bit different. You guys might have a different opinion with the direction that the genre has been going, but I think I'm not the only one that has kept the radio off of the country stations since high school, maybe even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    My thing is if Country Music hadn't gotten so stupid in the past few years, things would be a bit different. You guys might have a different opinion with the direction that the genre has been going, but I think I'm not the only one that has kept the radio off of the country stations since high school, maybe even longer.
    Well, if stats like the one Scarecrow posted in the OP here

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow
    Country only makes up about 8 percent of the market.
    are accurate.....

Id say you're absolutely right in thinking that. Heck I know that country radio has been a 'choice' on my radio, behind 104.3 the fan sports talk, Christian radio, and talk radio for the majority of hte last 5-10 years. it used to be all I listened to, but when you have music that sucks infecting the airways- it helps change listening habits

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

It would be interesting to see the scope of the stat though. If they are talking worldwide music sales and consumption, then I would say 8% of the market is incredible since I would argue that country is primarily a United States-based genre (with obvious smaller followings in Canada, Australia, & Europe).

If they are limiting the scope to just the United States, though, then it would be interesting to see what regions of the nation they pulled their samples from. Since if they are pulling from mostly urban areas like New York, LA, San Fran, or Chicago, then sure, I'll bet there'll be more Latin and Hip Hop radio stations and purchases than there are for country. But if you're in, say, 20-30 of the midwestern and central states, I'd be willing to bet that country stations and purchases outnumber latin and hip-hop at least 3 to 1. For example, here in Utah, where I am, we have at least 3 main country stations on the FM dial (with 1-2 others with less powerful frequencies), and maybe only 1-2 hip-hop and latin stations. I may be off on that since I really don't listen to the radio much anymore. But the point is, I would argue that where I live, country makes up a much more dominant share of the market than latin or hip-hop, but that I wouldn't necessarily expect that same result in Los Angeles.

It would also be interesting to see what they characterize as "Latin." Meaning, is latin reggae, latin hip-hop, latin rock, latin tipico, latin pop, Mexican mariachi, etc. all lumped into one overall genre labeled as "Latin" simply because the artists are Spanish speaking?

Country music has forgotten its roots and sold out. Country will never be mainstream popular, it is stupid to try to compete. I am tired of the bro country crap, tired of the crossover attempts and tired of country trying to be hip. Itís a redneck genre about momma and heartache. Return back to its roots, embrace traditional country with real country people and not pop stars who decided to try it. You will still not sell more then pop but you will at least be original and pure.

And here's a problem I'm having, I know Garth might pick some songs that many of us might not agree with for The Garth Channel, but why the hell did he pick Body Like A Backroad and put it in the playlist? If you want to talk about a reason why Country Music has gotten so stupid, there's your answer right there.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    And here's a problem I'm having, I know Garth might pick some songs that many of us might not agree with for The Garth Channel, but why the hell did he pick Body Like A Backroad and put it in the playlist? If you want to talk about a reason why Country Music has gotten so stupid, there's your answer right there.
    Garth has so many stupid songs on his playlist on that channel. I rarely listen to it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    Garth has so many stupid songs on his playlist on that channel. I rarely listen to it anymore.
    Do you guys think he actually picks those songs. Garth's channel like Ozzy's boneyard and other's aren't picked by the artists. They just put their name on it for promotional reasons. I agree with everything you guys have said about the current state of country. But I also know music radio in general isn't for older people anymore. It's for the 18-35 crowd. I used to be a fan of Keith Urban but his last two albums sound like really awful EDM.

+ Reply to Thread