+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Garth on Vinyl

Garth on Vinyl

Well, even though I'm passing on the current (amazing) offer, I figured it was worth it to start a new thread to discuss the upcoming vinyl releases.

Please post if you preordered, what number you chose and why, and what if any problems you ran into.

(Also, I guess this would be as good of a place as any for any international folks to enlist the help of those in the U.S. to get these).

Been in since 6:15 and now I can't get in. The sight just spins

Been on here for 4 hours.... now it won't connect.

You would think there would be a better way

The cynic in me wonders if Garth, how shall I say it, negotiates for these sites to crash when this stuff launches because it makes for a good marketing headline, makes the stuff appear to be in high demand and urgent, causes buyers act more impulsively, etc.

For example,. Ticketmaster handles thousands of on-sales per year for concerts, sporting events, etc, but when Garth Brooks shows go on sale suddenly there's just too much traffic and the site crashes... hmmm....
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 02-26-2019 at 07:22 PM.

I could be wrong but isnít talk shop live Bryan aka hashtagís company? Could be heís just helping him out but the system canít handle the demand. 🤷*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by copinark View Post
    I could be wrong but isn’t talk shop live Bryan aka hashtag’s company? Could be he’s just helping him out but the system can’t handle the demand. 🤷*♂️
    Yes it is, but that's my point. Hashtag couldn't have anticipated that there would be high demand and, you know, got more servers lined up?!? Unless they wanted it to crash his site so that, as you'll notice on twitter, people will report that Garth on Vinyl was in such high demand that it broke the internet. Like I said, it makes a great headline and could cause someone who is on the fence act more impulsively when the site comes back up. I suppose that is a pretty cynical view. It could also be just as plausible that Hashtag grossly underestimated the demand.

Garth's latest video on Facebook says they are overwhelmed by the response and that they didn't expect so many people to try and log on to do this, so the reservation pre-order may get pushed off, but that they'll keep us posted.

And here is the statement that just went out on Garth's Facebook page:

"Here is what we know about #GARTHonVINYL - absolutely NO numbers were given out. The site was overwhelmed before it ever came up. The good news is, the on sale never started. So here’s what I plan, rehearsals for the Stadium tour start Thursday, see behind the curtain and we will do this then! love, g"

Marketing genius level ninja stuff right there!! Build hype through headlines for not only the vinyl, but for the tour as well!
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 02-26-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Finding a way to get all six covers of Triple Live will be interesting. What are the chances of getting all six covers in the 3 versions. I did see a couple more vinyl in his video talking about the large turnout.

CLASSIC post-retirement Garth. LMAO.
    He’s like a blunder in blue jeans these days.
    Over-hype, under-deliver and when the hype is real it all goes to s***.
    “Hey soooooo sorry that didn’t work... but I’ve got 5 stadium shows planned this year you should check out. Ty will be back for some and you’ll need a helmet.. again.”
    Dude is lost and it makes me sad.

ETA: I’m in on this whenever it gets fixed. Excited to finally have him on vinyl.. but it’s been complete let down for quite a few years now.
    Last edited by AronP24; 02-26-2019 at 07:47 PM.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by AronP24 View Post
    CLASSIC post-retirement Garth. LMAO.
    “Hey soooooo sorry that didn’t work... but I’ve got 5 stadium shows planned this year you should check out. Ty will be back for some and you’ll need a helmet.. again.”

ETA: I’m in on this whenever it gets fixed. Excited to finally have him on vinyl.. but it’s been complete let down for quite a few years now.
    well said, Aron- I can't say i'm in o the vinyl as honestly I don't have any way to play it w/o shelling out inordinate amounts of $ for the vinyl.. am interested in the 'bonus songs' though... whatever they may be
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I’m reposting my previous post with current edits bc somehow we can’t edit after 10 minutes.. weirdest forum rule ever but you do you, so forgive me for the repost.. but added some thoughts, and then I’m done. Promise.
    Hope you are all healthy and well and glad we are still on here together after several decades.

ETA: I’m in on this whenever it gets fixed. Excited to finally have him on vinyl.. but it’s been complete let down for quite a few years now. MATM had some amazing cuts that would’ve been HUGE on radio.. but he releases none of them as singles. Gunslinger was painful to even make it through, nevermind a re-listen on ANY of the tracks. The ‘live’ anthology is literally everything we’ve seen and heard for 3 decades through dvd’s and the original live cd’s with 107 different covers plus a new live project that rehashes the aforementioned 1998 107 different cover project with a couple new cuts sprinkled in but ALSO still combined with yet again aforementioned 107 different covered Double Live. “I know.. we’ll update it and call it.. TRIPLE live!”
    Sorry to vent. I will ALWAYS appreciate GB. I wanted to be him as a kid. Hell, I still do. But it sucks being disappointed time and time again.

So the vinyl will be released soon if I understood him. He will have it a stadium shows for sale. That means un-numbered may be in retail locations soon also. I am assuming that un-numbered copies are ready since he sent out copies to give radio stations. Plus lower numbered versions must be ready since he had a numbered version. So does that mean we could get numbered version sooner than November?
    Last edited by gbkubfan; 02-26-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: corrections

So Am I right, in thinking that NO orders at all went through today, not just the "special number" ones but all editions.

The site just crashed and no one got one.

But you can try again on Thursday.

Also has a track listing been released, so people can know what the bonus songs are?

I have been a huge Garth fan since 1993. I was and still am a Garth Brooks wantabe. But I have to agree with Emerald Isle and AronP24 100% and it greatly saddens me

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    So Am I right, in thinking that NO orders at all went through today, not just the "special number" ones but all editions.

The site just crashed and no one got one.

But you can try again on Thursday.

Also has a track listing been released, so people can know what the bonus songs are?
    No one got on , talk shop crashed....and there's no track listing yet !
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    No one got on , talk shop crashed....and there's no track listing yet !
    If Garth stays true to the pattern he’s followed since the comeback, we won’t have a tracklist until a week to 10 days before release.

So hes trying again on Thursday thru talk shop live,

Uhm what say it happens again, and goes down???

Are they're saying hes using the same system (im not a computer guy)

How could a system not cope with say 10-15K worth of orders????

I mean How many people were trying to place orders?????

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Yes it is, but that's my point. Hashtag couldn't have anticipated that there would be high demand and, you know, got more servers lined up?!? Unless they wanted it to crash his site so that, as you'll notice on twitter, people will report that Garth on Vinyl was in such high demand that it broke the internet. Like I said, it makes a great headline and could cause someone who is on the fence act more impulsively when the site comes back up. I suppose that is a pretty cynical view. It could also be just as plausible that Hashtag grossly underestimated the demand.
    It's funny that you say that because I had the exact same thoughts last night. Along with building up more hype, I think that it kind of feeds his ego a bit seeing this. I love Garth as much and usually more than the next guy, but the way things these days are done are so so frustrating.

BTW, I'm glad you said it first because typically not agreeing with Garth isn't a popular thing to do However, this group is usually more realistic then Facebook folks.
    Last edited by STLGarth; 02-27-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: edit and add content

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Ya know- the more I think about this, the crashing, the problem, all of it. I'm glad there are others who see the potential of the same thing being true that I do.

Is it conspiracy theory thinking? maybe- but Garth's either a complete dunce when it comes to technology and hiring people to handle things/anticipation of the response that will be generated by him,

OR

Garth, or someone in his 'camp', sets these things up to happen purposely. This is not the first time that 'things have crashed' or 'the response has been overwhelming' etc in the last 5 years.

Garth's ticket sales for stadium tour....
    Garth's Notre Dame appearance....
    Shows in Garth's last tour....

Those are just three things I can think of where this exact, or similar 'events' have happened around ordering, buying etc..

Garth has an advertising degree. With advertising comes promotion... We all know that Garth is good at promotion

promotion/advertising - build an anticipation/desire in your product.... Garth is doing/has done that

Really, it can come down to Supply/Demand.. Manipulate the supply side somehow, and increase the demand....

I'd honestly hope that it's more simple than that, that Garth is just truly clueless and not as smart as we think, and that has caused him to use people who can't handle things for him sometimes.....

But knowing Garth's penchant for control, sales, #'s..... I can't say that It's a forgone conclusion that positive is reality in this situation.... the manipulation angle seems far more likely to be a reality..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

This is really funny stuff to me , itís pretty simple , the servers werenít strong enough.

Some of you think vinyl is niche, but heck isnít any medium for music a niche ? Streaming is ..... cds are .... heck the radio is .

The fact of the matter is this is a popular release and this is the only place to preorder it right now. Theyíll reinforce the servers and it will work.

Garthís a popular artist , Iím not ever surprised when the servers canít support the demand whether it be on ticketmaster or anything .

The site crashing due to a few thousand orders is as plausible to me as scrapping a new record due to dropping your iPhone in water.

With technology as advanced as it is these days.....I call Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    This is really funny stuff to me , itís pretty simple , the servers werenít strong enough.

Some of you think vinyl is niche, but heck isnít any medium for music a niche ? Streaming is ..... cds are .... heck the radio is .

The fact of the matter is this is a popular release and this is the only place to preorder it right now. Theyíll reinforce the servers and it will work.

Garthís a popular artist , Iím not ever surprised when the servers canít support the demand whether it be on ticketmaster or anything .
    Not trying to be difficult, but I just read an article saying there was something like 800 billion streams last year and the 2 major streaming services have almost 100 million subscribers. Iím not sure how that qualifies as ďnicheĒ. On the contrary, there were like 16 million vinyl albums sold last year TOTAL. Thatís a very small piece of the music consumption pie and I think most would call that a niche market. The music industry itself calls it that.

This is not HSN guys ... itís talkshop , itís extremely possible that the site crashed !!

I remember Wynnís site crashed when Garth started his residency there . I seriously doubt someone said ď hey Steve Wynn , can we crash the system to create hype .Ē

I follow Bryan Moore on Twitter, he seems a real genuine nice guy, his talk shop live thing, seems to be a site that wouldnt have massive large volumes.

I think Garth is the type of person who in the early 80's wouldve bought a Beta video player instead of VHS.

I think the choices he makes are done by loyalty, rather than a business decision.

I can see why the Wynn site would crash when people were trying to buy tickets, its a Hotel/resort in Vegas, not ticket master.

I though think its strange that a site would crash like yesterday. I think the volume of people trying to order his Vinyl wouldnt had been
    in the hundreds of thousands, but more like 10-15K tops???? I probbaly think they got around 5K of orders and thats it.

Again with all due respect to Bryan, perhaps it's more of a case of Garth not being with the top people in their field.

In say this, if it ever gets proven that these crashes are purposely done, Garth needs to be called up on it.

I'm sorry to be soo cynical. I agree it is very plausible that Bryan's site just couldn't handle the traffic. Wynn's too, maybe.

But Ticketmaster?!? How many times did Garth crash that thing? And that's a site that, like I said, handles thousands of on-sale events a year for concerts, sporting events, etc. Like when a pro sports team's tickets first go on sale for the season, they are selling tickets for stadiums, not arenas, and they are selling dozens of games/events at a time. Ticketmaster handles that just fine. No problems.

But Garth puts 2-3 shows on sale at once in an arena and suddenly Ticketmaster can't handle the traffic, not just once, but multiple times.

I know it's suspicious, paranoid, and black helicopter-ish, but this whole Garth Breaks the internet thing just keep happening, and Garth is always quick to jump on it and say "sorry, I just didn't expect this many of you to show up!" All I know is that, intentional or not, it's a fantastic marketing tool and makes a great story. "Demand for [Wynn tickets, concert tickets, or vinyl] is just too big that Garth broke the internet!"

But riddle me this, if demand for Garth's stuff is so insane that it keeps breaking the internet, then why were there no similar stories about people lining up at Target to get the Ultimate Collection a few years ago? Where were the stories of the stampede of folks breaking down the doors to get Garth's latest release. In other words, this stuff only happens when Garth's stuff goes on sale on the internet. No where else.

Again, so for being so suspicious!

I guess one thing to say in this discussion, Garth is very very smart, I would say, he would know or have some idea what the demand is, and around how many Units/tickets he
    would sell, when an album or concert tickets go on sale, he must have a team of people who do this for him.

It just seems strange, that it will go down.

Or perhaps its just a legitimate server down thing.

Im also thinking now is, they may not release the number of sales to Soundscan but will do for the RIAA.

I didnt think about it being planned until it was mentioned.

Im really 50/50 on it.

I think this is so funny. Who cares if he builds hype for his music. Again, he is in the business of SELLING music. It is a business. In the big picture he is competing against a world full of other artists for your hard earned cash. Like the choice I had to make with Garth's first album. Garth or Clint Black. I chose Garth. Well with 311 million people out there in the USA, he has to work it hard.
    Everyday you see stories in the news about businesses closing like KMart, Toys R Us etc. People forget or just don't think of supporting a business or find an easier way to shop. Then when the place goes out of business they are sad and mad. Garth is just trying to stay viable as well as keep his workers paid and in a job. I applaud him for that. And if it isn't your thing, you have the right to not participate. But why complain?
    I am so glad he is still releasing music, some new, some old and some cover/live stuff. We are so lucky.
    I look at it this way. OREOs does all kinds of things to sell its cookie. Sure we have regular OREOs and Double Stuff but they have added all kinds of different flavors to keep on selling cookies.
    Emerald unfair analogy. Ultimate Collection was available at 50 zillion Target stores, Legacy was available at one web site. Apples and oranges.

Fair enough, gbkubfan

If this is his method to "SELL" the music he's already released multiple times over, then fine. It just feels rather manipulative to me if he's doing these web-crashes on purpose to generate hype and demand. But you know what made No Fences (and everything else before and after) sell so well? Great music and a great live show!! And you know what, I think THAT formula would still work better than resorting to gimmicks and parlor tricks. But whatever! Maybe I'm the old curmudgeon since these articles seem to show that the gimmick (if indeed that's what it is) is working quite well:

https://popculture.com/country-music...cy-collection/

https://themusicuniverse.com/overwhe...vinyl-on-sale/

http://kwbe.com/abc_music-co/demand-...abcid36161715/

Yeah, I'm sure Garth is quite disappointed and brokenhearted that things didn't go as planned yesterday and now has to deal with all this free press boosting his product prior to the "new" launch date tomorrow!

Somewhere the lady that tried to argue with me telling me that its completely random that females primarily occupy the front row(s) at concerts is just spinning over all of this tomfoolery about Garth having more input than we would like to imagine...

PS. There might have been a day where I would drop $100 on a garth project without knowing what I was getting, but that day has passed. Don't get me wrong, its not about disposable income, its about being tired of having a number of the exact same (albeit retitled, renumbered, repackaged) material. I have Garth Brooks, Fences, Ropin' and Pieces on Vinyl- I'd need to see Fresh Horses before I would even consider it. Sure, I'm just one person, and my decision not to purchase won't amount to a hill of beans- but I'm still one person...

+ Reply to Thread