+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Underrated singles

Underrated singles

Sure, we all know Garth has his signature tunes ("Friends", "The Dance," "Thunder Rolls," "Shameless," etc.). But what do you think are some of his most underrated singles.

One that jumps into my mind is "Not Counting You." It went to number 2 on the charts, but out of the 4 singles from his self totled debut album, it's not as popular. I like the song, it's one of the first ones I learned when I was a little kid, thanks to me watching my This is Garth Brooks VHS about 5,000 times.

"One Night a Day" is another one I felt is underrated. It's a soulful number, and he sure brought the crowd of 65,000 at Texas Stadium to its feet when he began that sax solo. I was there and the place went bezerk!

"That Ol' Wind" was a top 5 for Garth in spring 97, and it tells a great story. Garth is a great storyteller in his music, and this beautiful ballad is a prime example of that. That performance with him and Jimmy on the dock in Ireland could have been a great video.

Any other singles do you think were underrated?

Why Ain't I Running
    When You Come Back To Me Again
    One Night A Day

and a song that should've been a single AND would've been a hit, "Fishing in the Dark".

In the USA, the best country in the world
    oof- I'd have to give this more thought than I have time to at the moment

offhand though?

Underrated - It's midnight Cinderella, That Girl is a cowboy, and thicker than blood
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Yeah, I love "Why Ain't I Running". I guess the radio world at that time looked at Garth as "washed up." Which was nonsense because Shania had 5 hits off The Woman in Me and didn't launch a tour until 1998.

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post

and a song that should've been a single AND would've been a hit, "Fishing in the Dark".
    You wanna know something funny? I always played this song then transition to Callin Baton Rouge. One, because I've said it many times that I thought Fishing was an In Pieces song. Two, I think it would've been a good opportunity for Garth to emulate Queen with their "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions" double single.

Now in terms of my pick: Do What You Gotta Do.

Not Counting you get forgotten a lot. It is one of my favorite songs and he should go back to playing it to open the concert.

Love Wild Horses

I really would love if he started to bring back to his concerts, we bury the hatchet and not counting you.

Somewhere Other Than the Night...went to #2...maybe #1 and never included in any packages, including The Ultimate Collection.

You Move Me off Sevens.
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

+ Reply to Thread