+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If he did a duets project with other country stars

If he did a duets project with other country stars

Back in 2011, Randy Travis released a duets project with other stars from country and other fields of music for his 25th anniversary in the business. I think it would be interesting if Garth did the same. Now, I don't want any bashing of artists here, this is just an idea he could do.

Tracks:
    Rodeo feat. Jason Aldean
    If Tomorrow Never Comes feat. Chris Young
    Wrapped Up in You feat. Keith Urban
    American Honky Tonk Bar Association feat. Brad Paisley
    The Beaches of Cheyenne feat. Kenny Chesney
    More Than a Memory feat. Lee Brice
    Much Too Young feat. George Strait
    Two Pina Coladas feat. Zac Brown Band
    Shameless feat. Billy Joel
    Callin" Baton Rouge feat. Dierks Bentley
    What She's Doing Now feat. Blake Shelton
    The River with Martina McBride
    Papa Loved Mana with Luke Bryan
    Victim of the Game with Trisha Yearwood
    We Shall be Free with Darius Rucker
    Good Ride Cowboy with Toby Keith
    Something with Reba, I don't know what song but they're good friends.
    Learning to Live Again with Tim McGraw
    Ain't Going Down with Chris Janson
    Unanswered Prayers with Carrie Underwood
    That Summer with Thomas Rhett
    Fever with Steven Tyler
    The Dance with Scotty McCreery

I know Garth said he wouldn't sing with any other lady than Trisha but he did sing backup vocals on McBride's "Cheap Whiskey" and she backed him on "I'll Be the Wind. " He loves Reba, as I mentioned earlier, and I read in an interview with Carrie Underwood, she recalled meeting Garth when she was little and telling him, "If you ever need a duet partner, here I am," or something like that.

I still think he and Strait could bring a crowd to its feet with a duet of Unwound.

I think a duet between these two would be a masterpiece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7iIclCGS4

For those that don't know, this is Wade Bowen doing a cover of Cold Shoulder. Also I get Billy Joel being picked for Shameless, but I think Chris Stapleton would make better sense for that song.

I like the idea of doing more duets with a wider variety of artists, but personally, I don't see much value in redoing the old songs as duets. The 25th Anniversary version of FILP cured me of that!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I like the idea of doing more duets with a wider variety of artists, but personally, I don't see much value in redoing the old songs as duets. The 25th Anniversary version of FILP cured me of that!
    I hear ya with that one- the FILP "remake" as it were, was ...... well...... horrible... (now if it had truly been a duet w/ him and George Strait, for example? brilliant..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Hmm after thinking about this a bit......

I realized just how awful country music has become.... Now don't get me wrong, I recognized the artists (well all but one) but I can't say I'd listen to them.

as for dream duets? an album like this .... Id' rather see it as a tribute album, not a duets album.. (kinda along the lines of the Kiss My A@@ album that KISS put out where Garth sang Hard Luck woman..)

But then to do that, you'd have to find out (at least for me). what would be the best songs to include.. THEN I'd have to match it to artists...

I can imagine that Garth would want to include Bruno Mars & Lady Gaga, maybe , in a tribute CD..

What would the best tribute artists be then? For Garth?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Hmm after thinking about this a bit......

I realized just how awful country music has become.... Now don't get me wrong, I recognized the artists (well all but one) but I can't say I'd listen to them.

as for dream duets? an album like this .... Id' rather see it as a tribute album, not a duets album.. (kinda along the lines of the Kiss My A@@ album that KISS put out where Garth sang Hard Luck woman..)

But then to do that, you'd have to find out (at least for me). what would be the best songs to include.. THEN I'd have to match it to artists...

I can imagine that Garth would want to include Bruno Mars & Lady Gaga, maybe , in a tribute CD..

What would the best tribute artists be then? For Garth?
    I've said it multiple times, I think Garth's songs would be perfect for the Texas Country/Red Dirt Crowd (Pat Green, Jack Ingram, Sunny Sweeney, Wade Bowen, Radney Foster, Cody Canada and The Departed, Mickey and The Motorcars, Bruce Robinson, Todd Snider and The Randy Rogers Band). I say that because I think if the "Old Stuff was new" again, it probably wouldn't be as big a hits today but they'd be influential in the Texas Country/Red Dirt crowd.

In terms of outside the Country genre, Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga would be a likely scenario, but I also got some other people who'd be perfect for a tribute album. Greek Fire, Overscene, The Wallflowers, Jason Isbell, Panic at the Disco, James Taylor, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, U2, The Eagles+Vince Gill.

Some of y'all might have to look up some of the bands I picked, but they have a good sound trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Some of y'all might have to look up some of the bands I picked, but they have a good sound trust me.
    hehe ok, challenge accepted- (in a way ) lemme see who I know of the people you mentioned..

hmmm- bold Asterisks by the ones I've never listened to/heard of

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    (Pat Green,
    Jack Ingram
    Sunny Sweeney, *
    Wade Bowen,
    Radney Foster,
    Cody Canada and The Departed, *
    Mickey and The Motorcars, *
    Bruce Robinson,
    Todd Snider*
    The Randy Rogers Band.*
    Greek Fire, *
    Overscene, *
    The Wallflowers,
    Jason Isbell, *
    Panic at the Disco,
    James Taylor,
    Bob Seger,
    Bruce Springsteen,
    Patti Smith,
    U2,
    The Eagles+Vince Gill. (Is Vince singing with/for them now? I know he's done some work but it's not a regular gig... I could be wrong I haven't followed him much lately)
    James Taylor would be a great choice for The River , IMO but what other songs would fit what other bands/artists best?

hehe how'd I do

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Perhaps the ones you got in (*) I can show you on Discord, but it'll have to be later because I'm kinda busy right now.

He and Stapleton would kick butt on "Tacoma". The song's country blues vibe is right up the 4 time CMA Male Vocalist of the Year s alley. Other than Garth, Chris is the only one I can picture singing it.

+ Reply to Thread