+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Inside Studio G - 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    do you guys want a full recap? I just re-read my post and it pretty much covers the main parts...
    I think you covered it!

Also vinyl preorders are going out in October !!??
    Thatís pretty big news to me .
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    That’s pretty big news to me .
    Yeah I’m really excited about that. He said they’ve already arrived in the US. I wonder if October is a worst case scenario. I can’t imagine they’ll be held up in customs for THAT long.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    That’s pretty big news to me .
    I got the impression that they could be going out around that time...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

That would be pretty cool if they came out in October. It has been a long wait. Plus I can see what I got as far as Triple Live covers. I wonder how long he will wait to go for certification.

The October shipment dates sounded exciting for about 12 seconds until I realized that I already have almost everything in the box except for maybe a handful of new live songs on Triple Live, especially since it seems the only bonus tracks will be 3 songs we already got over 20 years ago. I dunno, I'm just finding it harder and harder to get excited about yet another re-release of the old stuff.

That said, I am way excited about FUN. I just wish Garth was too.

But for those who are excited about the Legacy sets, Amazon's current price on the unnumbered Limited Edition Box is $47.84, which is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    The October shipment dates sounded exciting for about 12 seconds until I realized that I already have almost everything in the box except for maybe a handful of new live songs on Triple Live, especially since it seems the only bonus tracks will be 3 songs we already got over 20 years ago. I dunno, I'm just finding it harder and harder to get excited about yet another re-release of the old stuff.

That said, I am way excited about FUN. I just wish Garth was too.

But for those who are excited about the Legacy sets, Amazon's current price on the unnumbered Limited Edition Box is $47.84, which is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'm right there with you Emerald. For me the only thing I'm excited about is just the physical package itself. Excited to see what 3 Triple Live covers I get and how the packaging itself looks. Nice piece to add to the collection.

As far as the music it appears there is literally nothing to be excited about. There is no indication that Triple Live is going to have anything other than what we already have and it appears that the "bonus tracks" on the CDs are going to be the "bonus tracks" for the original Limited Series 21 years ago. If that is the case it is really, really disappointing.

At the end of the day I bought the package as a collector's item so I'm cool with the purchase. Would be nice to at least have a few tracks of some sort that we don't have. Oh well.

On a side note, does anyone know if Garth has indicated that the CD version of Triple Live is going to have the 6 different covers? It's clear the vinyl is going to have that, but what about the CD?

I have to admit, I was surprised to hear Garth speak so positively of the Chris Gaines record. But he's absolutely right--the music is great and speaks for itself. I really do feel that if the album had been marketed as a standard Garth record--rather than Garth playing a fictional character--it would have been much better received.

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    I have to admit, I was surprised to hear Garth speak so positively of the Chris Gaines record. But he's absolutely right--the music is great and speaks for itself. I really do feel that if the album had been marketed as a standard Garth record--rather than Garth playing a fictional character--it would have been much better received.
    I wish he would have found a way to follow through on the whole concept. Even if it had bombed at the box office. Pure Country is the worst acting I've ever seen but it had a cult following because of George. I bet a Chris Gaines movie would have done ok. Even if it was only released to DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I wish he would have found a way to follow through on the whole concept. Even if it had bombed at the box office. Pure Country is the worst acting I've ever seen but it had a cult following because of George. I bet a Chris Gaines movie would have done ok. Even if it was only released to DVD.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this. I just don't think the music would have been successful had it been Garth doing a rock/pop record as a stand alone thing. I think the concept is the avenue where the music could've worked.

To this day I am still amazed how detailed the whole concept was. A fake Behind The Music, fake albums, a complete backstory detailing all kinds of crazy things about the character. The attention to detail was unreal. How cool would it have been to get The Lamb album or Garth to go back and record all of Chris Gaines' previous albums which was mentioned as a legit possibility had the thing taken off.

I totally believe it could've been a cult classic had it actually made it to being released.

I am still convinced the media caused the thing to fail. If you were a Garth fan at that time surely you remember how many times Garth had to explain this wasn't an "alter-ego" but a character in a movie. The media continued to call it an "alter-ego" time and time again. Even articles about it now will call it that.

From what I remember the movie never got beyond the planning stages. Garth misjudged the timing of releasing the material. If that album had come at the same as the movie, I think it would have be received in a much better light. When the album was released the media had no idea what it was. There was no movie to coincide with music. So they just saw it has Garth wanting to go pop because that's where the industry was going at the time.

I don’t think the timing was totally misjudged. He talked about it being a “pre-soundtrack” so the audience could get to know Chris and his music prior to the movie. There was going to be a 2nd album, also called The Lamb, meant to be the actual soundtrack of the movie. It was intentional that it was released that early.

Would be great if one of the streaming services picked up the project & ran with it - even if on a relatively low budget, it would be good to see the character come to life.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I am still convinced the media caused the thing to fail. If you were a Garth fan at that time surely you remember how many times Garth had to explain this wasn't an "alter-ego" but a character in a movie. The media continued to call it an "alter-ego" time and time again. Even articles about it now will call it that.
    One of the few things that you and I agree with, and it wasn't just the media either, it was also torn apart by professional comedians and people who think they were trying to be funny. Like I remember one time, I brought up one of my favorite Garth quotes "The greatest conflicts are not between two people, but between one person and himself." and this was in a chatroom so there's always that one chance of finding an asshole, and this certain asshole brought up Chris Gaines as a joke and I gave him a "Really, dude? Really?"

But to be fair, he later apologized and told me that he was just kidding. When it comes to a thing like Garth Brooks and Chris Gaines, it's always been a touchy subject for me and I get pretty jumpy when people bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    One of the few things that you and I agree with, and it wasn't just the media either, it was also torn apart by professional comedians and people who think they were trying to be funny. Like I remember one time, I brought up one of my favorite Garth quotes "The greatest conflicts are not between two people, but between one person and himself." and this was in a chatroom so there's always that one chance of finding an asshole, and this certain asshole brought up Chris Gaines as a joke and I gave him a "Really, dude? Really?"

But to be fair, he later apologized and told me that he was just kidding. When it comes to a thing like Garth Brooks and Chris Gaines, it's always been a touchy subject for me and I get pretty jumpy when people bring it up.
    My 2 cents on the issue (hopefully briefly as not to distract from the thread title of covering inside studio G).. Chris Gaines was (like many things unfortunately in Garth's past 20 or so yrs).. good or great in CONCEPT and IDEA, and lacking or not as good in execution.

(and yes I've said it before in diff. ways but it's amazing how much it really does kinda parallel the era of 'music from the elder' by KISS. Both were 'concepts'.. both were grand scale, poor in execution. The result was some good music, that was not widely well received..)

The country audience at the time it was envisioned/formed/put out there was not ready for the concept as Garth imagined it. it alienated some, weirded out others, and well, it flopped.. (the music, as I said was good.. kinda the victim of the game as it were)..

on the whole though? a concept better left in the past... revisit some of the MUSIC somehow, leave the idea of the character or the movie in the past.... its better off there

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I personally would love another Chris Gaines album, I think he would have to do it as Garth. I think its time for Garth to get creative.

Won't ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Won't ever happen.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    Agreed
    double agreed- I think Garth 'learned his lesson' as it were..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    double agreed- I think Garth 'learned his lesson' as it were..
    I agree that it won't be revisited. However, I seem to be one of the few people that loved the whole concept. Loved the movie idea/character, the music, the fact Garth stretched his wings by having other writers, musicians, producers (ie. Don Was) work with him, etc. I think it was creatively a shot in the arm, but commercially a disaster. I also think it is part of the reason he is so gun shy about releasing new product (meaning really going all in on new music). Ever since then he seems to be even more about control of everything than he even was before.

......I also think it is part of the reason he is so gun shy about releasing new product (meaning really going all in on new music). Ever since then he seems to be even more about control of everything than he even was before.
    Hmm- I'd not thought too much about that, but I think you could possibly be on to something there

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Does anyone else find it odd that after the Chris Gaines stuff wasn't received well, a few later Garth started seriously talking about retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Does anyone else find it odd that after the Chris Gaines stuff wasn't received well, a few later Garth started seriously talking about retirement?
    Good theory, but realistically speaking, I think the death of his mother was the real trigger for that.

I actually agree that I think his mother passing away was an enormous part of it. Looking back we know there were a lot of family issues going on at that time. I mean there was him mom, there was the separation/divorce, and what father doesn't want to spend more time with their kids. I think those three things were huge in his family life.

When you look at the professional side of things you had the failure of the Chris Gaines project, but country music was starting to change around the turn of the 2000s. Many of the biggest country stars of the 90s started having trouble at radio and retail. Garth is so business savvy that you know he was aware of this. I think Scarecrow even suffered in part because of the shift. Not only was it his lowest certified album of his first 8 studio records (5 million), but "Wrapped Up In You" was the only Top 10 hit off that record. (There was a lot less promotion over the life of that record due to retirement, no touring, etc. so I'm show that played a role in it being less successful as well.) Ultimately, my point is that I think Garth was smart enough to see the changes in the industry were happening fast. You couple all the personal stuff with those changes in country music and it was actually the perfect time to step away if he was going to do it.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and I could be totally wrong, but looking back I think those that follow country music have to admit there was a real shift taking place in country music around 1999-2002 with a new crop of stars starting to take over while the 90s guard of stars were being pushed out on radio.

I am not saying that if Garth had stuck around that he wouldn't have had success at radio. I'm just saying there was a big shift happening and I think he would have definitely had a more challenging time. That is just part of the cycle of the whole thing.

I thought I would take a more direct approach with my askgarth questions.....

Hey Team Garth, a lot of your early 90's shows were filmed ,
    your entire 1994 world tour, plus shows in the states,
    will this footage ever be released in a collection for fans to buy?
    Theres only so many times we can buy double live. RELEASE THE TAPES!!

Hey Garth, are the bonus songs on "Legacy" the same ones that were on 1998's The Limited Series.

Hey Garth Its been 25 years since your last World Tour,
    And please don't say "Well I tried with Croke Park"
    There are other places to play than Croke.
    Like the rest of Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
    So no excuses, get ya ass down here.

I actually agree that I think his mother passing away was an enormous part of it. Looking back we know there were a lot of family issues going on at that time. I mean there was him mom, there was the separation/divorce, and what father doesn't want to spend more time with their kids. I think those three things were huge in his family life.

When you look at the professional side of things you had the failure of the Chris Gaines project, but country music was starting to change around the turn of the 2000s. Many of the biggest country stars of the 90s started having trouble at radio and retail. Garth is so business savvy that you know he was aware of this. I think Scarecrow even suffered in part because of the shift. Not only was it his lowest certified album of his first 8 studio records (5 million), but "Wrapped Up In You" was the only Top 10 hit off that record. (There was a lot less promotion over the life of that record due to retirement, no touring, etc. so I'm show that played a role in it being less successful as well.) Ultimately, my point is that I think Garth was smart enough to see the changes in the industry were happening fast. You couple all the personal stuff with those changes in country music and it was actually the perfect time to step away if he was going to do it.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and I could be totally wrong, but looking back I think those that follow country music have to admit there was a real shift taking place in country music around 1999-2002 with a new crop of stars starting to take over while the 90s guard of stars were being pushed out on radio.

I am not saying that if Garth had stuck around that he wouldn't have had success at radio. I'm just saying there was a big shift happening and I think he would have definitely had a more challenging time. That is just part of the cycle of the whole thing.
    I agree. He rose to the top at the perfect time for him. If it was 10 years later he might not have had the same success, especially not if he refused to do iTunes. Was there any good music that even came out the 5 years after he retired that was getting the airplay??

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I agree. He rose to the top at the perfect time for him. If it was 10 years later he might not have had the same success, especially not if he refused to do iTunes. Was there any good music that even came out the 5 years after he retired that was getting the airplay??
    I think if Garth had of came out, when Itunes first started, he would've gone on Itunes.

Whoah, I have a lot to look at in this thread! will do that later today..

re: Inside Studio G from this week.. I will do a recap if people want one, but honestly there wasn't anything that was news worthy, other than him talking about the vinyl and how they'll be doing a memory thing from the vinyl over the next 8 weeks. nothing earth shattering, just feedback/fallout mostly from Regina concert, and the like. There was a question about writing /singing/etc. with Trisha- so I'll re-listen and go over that part, but it won't be an in depth review this week- ISG was kinda a *yawn* last night honestly...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

So this monday, hes announcing a new city on the dive bar tour, right?

+ Reply to Thread