+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rehashing ( :) ) The "rehash" idea

In the USA, the best country in the world

Rehashing ( :) ) The "rehash" idea

from another thread
    I hate to get into this but I just want to know why people get mad at him for rehash/rereleasing etc. He releases new material. The people who want new music get new music. So he releases old stuff. You do not have to buy or even should care. Save your excitement for new stuff. Nobody promised you new music everytime he releases something. Why draw the line? Let people who want to collect do so and let new audience get there first crack at Garth. When new album comes out, enjoy. I guess I don't understand why people complain about rerelease stuff. It is very simple..don't buy. Nobody is forcing you. He isn't just doing rerelease stuff. Man Against Machine, Gunslinger, the fan mix, new album next year. Again, nobody is asking you to buy the music again. Garth is in the music business to sell music. If he wasn't in it to sell music, he could just play at the local honkey tonk every Friday night. If people want to spend their money on rehash, it is there money. My brother asks me why I have so many copies of the same Garth albums. I say, the same reason you buy dvds, it gives me enjoyment. I know that is a bad analgy butI just don't understand someone complaining about something they aren't expected to buy. (sorry for the lack of editing but I had eye surgery last week). I hate being negative but I just don't understand people complaining. Wait for the new album and let those others enjoy. Remember Garth has only sold 148 million records of all his catalog. The United States has 311+ people so that means a lot of people don't own the old stuff.
    thought about a long rambling reply to this... but then decided it's not in the cards..

Those who have eyes to see, will see. those who don't..... well, they won't.. In some cases, the pedestal (or altar?) is still intact
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Later albums being released on vinyl is in no way shape or form "rehashed" The first 5, yes, they have all been released on vinyl and minidisc. So this is exciting for collectors or people looking for something to hang on the wall, or even enjoy the vinyl listening experience. While it's not a must have or must purchase for the majority of his fans, for a few of the fans, it's HUGE!
    Different folks, different strokes... Let's not be to judging on people with different motivation on how they choose to spend their money.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Later albums being released on vinyl is in no way shape or form "rehashed" The first 5, yes, they have all been released on vinyl and minidisc. So this is exciting for collectors or people looking for something to hang on the wall, or even enjoy the vinyl listening experience. While it's not a must have or must purchase for the majority of his fans, for a few of the fans, it's HUGE!
    Different folks, different strokes... Let's not be to judging on people with different motivation on how they choose to spend their money.
    Agreed! Well said.

While I agree that this is likely yet another method to pad sales of the first 7 albums, it's not going to be aimed at the masses, but rather to niche collectors. In that sense, I think it's brilliant. (That is until he announces that 1 new song will be included on each album and this will be the only way to get them, then I'll be pissed) haha

Let me ask you something, say you did want to collect some Garth vinyl and he hadn't announced his official move to re-release his stuff on vinyl last night, would you have rather paid these prices? https://www.ebay.com/b/Garth-Brooks-...?rt=nc&_sop=16

Or let him re-release his catalog on vinyl so that way it'd be a bit cheaper? Personally I'd pick the latter, and if that seriously bothers you guys, then we have a serious problem here.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    interesting post, Bitter.

online oxford dictionary (the one that came up when searching) has rehash defined as "Put (old ideas or material) into a new form without significant change or improvement."

Ehh-if tha'ts the definition, then Garth's albums (late, early, who cares) being re released YET AGAIN (if that's what happens) via a vinyl format IS A REHASH release..

I see the point about 'hanging things on the wall" but yeah- at $20-25 or so a pop....... that's an expensive wall piece...

"enjoy the vinyl experience".. not gonna judge someone's listening preferences there, but as much as vinyl has 'surged' the last few years.. it's still a niche, outdated format... it does go lock step w/ the notion of Garth being a dinosaur, mind you, and staying in the past, but its not a widespread format.. IMO (and again this is just my feeling not saying otherwise) this is a poor choice of a niche to reach fans.. there would be better 'niches' to explore

like you said though- diff folks, diff strokes.. Maybe I've grown up... or out of ... my obsessive phase of Garth fandom, I don't know.. I just don't see the benefit in spending 200-300 on 10+ albums that would be space taking conversation pieces... unless there was some incentive...

Vinyl (to me at least, and many others it would seem) is still a dead, or dying, or antiquated, or well, Meh format..... for all its' 'listening qualities' of warmth etc...

people are free to spend their $ how they want- no one's judging that.. I have a family.. and resp.. and though I am still a collector of Garth, and have been, and will be.. my collecting isn't in the area of conversation pieces...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Don't get me wrong, I too am tired of the CDs being re-released. I do not have any of the Legacy CDs, and I've spend well over $5000 on CDs from countries here and afar. I have the first 5 on vinyl, which will make their value drop now. So I'm excited for the lps yet frustrated for other reasons.

I have said this in other threads in years past, but I think it is worth repeating. I have NO PROBLEM if Garth wants to:
    - remaster
    - make old albums available on CD (because for years they weren't readily available)
    - put the catalog on vinyl
    Good for him! I have plenty of friends that would be happy if some of those things were available. It's a smart business move on Garth's part and there is clearly some demand for it. I don't really see this as a "rehash" because as a fan I can just easily pass on that if I so choose.

I try not to complain a lot, but when I do it is this particular situation. Garth has this tendency of placing a handful of new tracks in box sets/big releases essentially "forcing" fans to buy the box, and all the material they already have, over and over again if they want this small amount of new material. The material is available in NO OTHER WAY! You can't go to iTunes and cherry pick the few songs. You can't go listen to them on Spotify. If you are going to do it legally it is either buy all this stuff you already have again or choose to sit it out. What are most serious fans going to do? Yes, I know that isn't technically "forcing" fans to do anything. It is a conscious choice, but you are put in a spot to pony up for a box set or miss out. Yes, it is a great business decision, but it is taking advantage of your most loyal supporters at the same time.

Instead of just saying this let me provide examples:
    - The Limited Series 1 - 6 new songs in a 6 disc box set
    - The Limited Series 2 - 11 news songs in a 6 disc box set (That disc, Lost Sessions, was later re-released as a stand alone edition with 6 new songs)
    - The Ultimate Hits - 4 new songs on a 2 disc greatest hits
    - Double Live (25th Anniversary Edition) - 5 new songs on Double Live
    - The Ultimate Collection - 6 unreleased tracks + a version of Gunslinger with 2 tracks only available in a 10 disc box set
    - Triple Live - Free release, but there will be at least 3 new songs on standard release
    - Anthology 1 - 19 new songs and book among 5 discs of material
    - Anthology 3 - No new music among 5 discs and book
    - This isn't counting all the "First Edition" covers, the 11 covers of Double Live, and the at least 6 covers of Triple Live if you want those.

To get all new music you would have to buy all that above which means you have at least 2 versions of almost every studio album and as many as 7 versions of the same song!

I get it is a great business move on Garth's part, but please don't say silly things like "If you don't want it don't buy it". You see the problem is we do want it and most of us have bought it with little complaint. There comes a burn out point though where you feel taken advantage of. To get all of his music (not all the different covers) you would have to have multiple versions of almost all his albums because you would have had to have bought multiple box sets. That isn't counting other comps like Ultimate Hits, the Anthologies, etc.

I get a lot of artists do this, but I also know for a fact that a lot of artists make much of that available on iTunes where you can cherry pick the tracks if all you want is the music. So if there are 6 new songs you can pay $6 instead of $25-$30 for those new songs.

I will continue to buy things that have new music and I won't complain that much about it. I'm a fan, I want it, and for the most part it is worth it for me personally. However, I get the complaints. I get aggravated too and feel like those of us who are really huge fans do get taken advantage of for our loyalty.

I should have put this with my post above, but I thought about this after I wrote it.

My mom owns one of the most famous diners in our state. It is a 50s diner and they are particularly known for their milk shakes/desserts/ice cream. People come into the restaurant all the time just for dessert. What if mom put a new policy in place where she stated that you can only buy dessert after your check reaches $25? I would argue with you that she has every right to do that because she owns the restaurant. However, I would argue with you that that would be taking advantage of some of her most loyal customers. She is taking the one thing that a lot of people want and putting them in a bind of either having to spend more money or choosing not to buy it.

Some customers would complain, some would just come to the restaurant when they were hungry for more than dessert. However, I think most would tell you she is trying to take advantage of and "force" customers to spend more money.

I think that is why there is so much frustration here. Many of us feel this way. We are being forced to buy dinner when all we want is the dessert, but we can't get the dessert any other way.

+ Reply to Thread