+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on Garth Touring the World

Thoughts on Garth Touring the World

Ireland aside.

I decided to do this post after reading a review of the Garth Brooks Live Anthology
    over at the Garth Brooks Believers Facebook page.

I asked the reviewer this question.....

Sounds Brilliant, cant wait for it now. Are you allowed to say if the Ireland chapter is about Croke park or the Point in 1994 and are you allowed to say are there any photos from "1994 world tour"... Spain, Germany, Norway, England, Switzerland, Ireland, Scotland, New Zealand, Australia. Anyway great review and the book looks like a must have!!

The reviewer replied.

brief few pages about overseas at the time, not a lot, didn't spend much time on it.

I originally thought, Well that sucks, but then I thought it's an open and honest thing for Garth
    to do.

His touring the world in 1994 was just a brief part of his live career, and he shouldn't dwell on it or
    talk it up, because his concerts outside the USA/Canada (again not counting Ireland) was such
    a small part of his Live touring career, so it makes sense he only spends a little time talking about
    it.

And that's okay, he doesnt have a massive fanbase outside USA, I do hope he enjoyed himself in 1994,
    because although he may of not gotten massive crowds he was well well received by the
    fans, and I hope he knows how much his fanbase appreciate him touring. It would kill me
    to think, that Garth thinks we didnt love his concerts and didnt wanted him to come back.

I think (I sound like a parrot repeating myself but "apart from Ireland") after 1994 he never had
    any intention at all to tour overseas, either on his 96-98 tour or 2014-2017 and all the talk was
    just talk, he didnt want to offend overseas fans and it did look better for marketing to call a tour
    a "World Tour" and to mention over cities cities sounds good in interviews.

Again , its all good, we have the memories of 94, but lets be honest, he wont tour europe/Oz/NZ again,
    and please dont say, after this stadium tour, he might, its just something that doesnt interest him.

I have the faded memories of 94, no photos, video footage just memories, they are brilliant memories,
    I hope Garth's memories of his concert here were good ones too, we sang, we chanted, we clapped.

All I would ask of Garth is not to bring up the words "World Tour" again on this tour or any future tour
    he might do.

I think that is fair enough, dont you?

PS: And all those that are seeing him on this tour, HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your post. It definitely sums things up.

I never will quite understand. There are plenty of bands out there, who are more popular in their home country than outside of it. Yet they still tour away from home. There are bands who have limited popularity outside their primary country, yet there are 1 or 2 other countries where they also have a great number of fans. With the exception of Garth, they will play in those other countries, and usually combine with additional countries for at least a several week tour of perhaps 10-20 shows.

You say that Garth is not that popular outside the U.S. But he does have fans in various countries, enough to sell out plenty of shows if he wanted to work out an itinerary. And guess why other acts tour extensively? IT'S TO MAINTAIN & GAIN MORE FANS along the way. It's no different than in the U.S., where someone takes a friend to see Garth, and they end up being hooked, and maybe buying some albums/downloads. If anyone should know, it's Garth, that with concerts, comes free media exposure, which now includes social media via tweets, Instagram, etc. On the other hand, avoid even a single show, and guess what he gets. NADA.

Garth has the big ego, and prides his Sales totals. Yet he's willing to maintain more or less invisibility outside the confines of the U.S. That's fine, but DO NOT put him in the same class as Paul McCartney, Rolling Stones, Springsteen, U2, Billy Joel, James Taylor, all of whom are apparently more well known around the world than he will ever be. What's sad, is that with his talent, he could be much more popular worldwide, and increase his sales significantly, with a little bit of effort. Clearly there is a/are reason(s) he won't do it, and money/sales certainly has nothing to do with it.

And the fact it takes up such a small part of his Anthology, shows where his feelings lie, and what a minor role shows outside the U.S. played in his history. Sad.
    Last edited by SoCalGarthFan; 11-10-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Did Croke Park 1997 get a mention in the book? Or what about selling 400,000 tickets in 2014?

On a different note, Ireland really ****ed things up... Imagine a huge chapter on his comeback, that would have been cool.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    On a different note, Ireland really ****ed things up... Imagine a huge chapter on his comeback, that would have been cool.
    No offense to fever, or anyone else living there but this is paramount to this (yet again) belabored complaint that is brought out about Garth and the touring abroad, etc...

I would still say that no matter what garth may say publicly.. The Ireland fiasco burned him.. BAD.. financially? ehh maybe some. to his rep, his 'control', his ego, you name it.. burned him big time. Why would he go back anytime soon?

Garth's not stupid, and he loves the people.. But Garth's no saint either. he's a fallen sinful human like we all are, with a nature that holds grudges, gets angry, and has an ego to bruise.. couple that with the asinine way he was treated (yes 20-25 years ago) in some media over in Europe (as evidenced in TTRTW) and it's almost understandable why he'd want to maybe steer a bit clear...

I'd love to see him conquer the world touring wise, be huge, you name it.. His influences and idols have done it.. he could too.. but he hasn't... I think Fever's comment is a great one, and really perhaps a big reason why.. Ireland (once again, no offense to the PG'ers and fans living there) messed up
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

That being said, (and again I don't know how much it's performance and how much was honest, and how much was Garth being at ND , home of the fighting "Irish") but when he sang Ireland in housekeeping- simply amazing- and the passion in his voice? intense

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    Did Croke Park 1997 get a mention in the book? Or what about selling 400,000 tickets in 2014?

At the Garth Brooks believers facebook page, they said the book is broken down to eight chapters.

The book is broken up into eight themes, or “chapters” and they are “Central Park 1997,” “Beginnings,” “Being In A Band, Being On Your Own,” “On The Road ... At Last,” “An Opening Act,” “Headliner!” “The Television Specials 1991-1993” and finally “Over There” (Ireland).

So ireland does have a whole chapter!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    No offense to fever, or anyone else living there but this is paramount to this (yet again) belabored complaint that is brought out about Garth and the touring abroad, etc...

I would still say that no matter what garth may say publicly.. The Ireland fiasco burned him.. BAD.. financially? ehh maybe some. to his rep, his 'control', his ego, you name it.. burned him big time. Why would he go back anytime soon?

Garth's not stupid, and he loves the people.. But Garth's no saint either. he's a fallen sinful human like we all are, with a nature that holds grudges, gets angry, and has an ego to bruise.. couple that with the asinine way he was treated (yes 20-25 years ago) in some media over in Europe (as evidenced in TTRTW) and it's almost understandable why he'd want to maybe steer a bit clear...

I'd love to see him conquer the world touring wise, be huge, you name it.. His influences and idols have done it.. he could too.. but he hasn't... I think Fever's comment is a great one, and really perhaps a big reason why.. Ireland (once again, no offense to the PG'ers and fans living there) messed up
    Your line, "hes a sinful fallen human being like we all are", reminded me of that Rowan Atkinson skit from not the nine oclock news, where he asks a Priest,

Rowan "If God exists, how come he lets people doing a good deed get hurt?"
    Priest "Well we are all sinful in a way"
    Rowan "Speak for yourself, Padre"

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post

If his hurt "pride/ego" is the reason, then he's a Big Baby. Again, why punish the fans who bought tickets to the Dublin shows, who still want to see him. Why punish fans in all the other European countries who had nothing to do with the Ireland fiasco. The people who run Croke Park screwed up. The residents in the area around Croke Park are pieces of you know what. They probably would have raised a stink if their hometown heroes U2 scheduled 5 shows. For Garth to take it personally at this point, shows the lack of class on his part. If he wanted to send a message, then play everywhere but Dublin.

It all comes back to his BS about not wanting to disappoint the fans by doing 3 shows instead of 5. He must think we're all complete idiots. Follow his rationale. I don't want to screw 140,000 fans, so I'll screw 350,000?

More to add....When he stood his ground and cancelled the 2014 shows, he was taking the high road. He look magnanimous, and by not compromising, it looked like he had commitment. He told those Dublin people where to go. As of next June, 5 years will have passed. If he wanted to make a point, and get venues to come crawling to him on their knees, clearly enough time has passed. Either he's not calling places like Wembley Stadium, or he is, "Sir, Garth Brooks on line 1."........"Tell him I'll get back to him by next Year," and his calls are not being taken. Which is more likely?

I think there's alot of blame to go around. The fans knew the 3 show limit, yet tons of them got tickets to more than one show, they intern added more shows.

I agreed with GB and would've cancelled all the shows, which fans are you going to deny? Which night?

Tampa Florida had their shows cancelled, for apparently no reason, if I remember right, the NHL playoffs didn't even make there.

Im not from ireland, but Im blame those residents.

They got greedy.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 11-11-2018 at 10:13 PM.

In terms of Garth though, there was nothing stopping him touring outside USA/Canada at any time.

If Charley Pride can get his ass down to nz (for about the 50th freakin time) there shouldve be no issue for Garth.

Again my OP sums up my feelings on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Tampa Florida had their shows cancelled, for apparently no reason, if I remember right, the NHL playoffs didn't even make there.
    They actually did, and it ended up being the ONLY scenario that would have messed with Garth's shows. If Tampa had faced another team, home ice advantage would have changed, and the schedule would have been different (and should have been able to work with Garth's shows). I blame NBC entirely for that however, as I think they dictated the schedule for optimal ratings. I remember after Tampa won their semi-final, even being from Chicago, I was actually hoping the Hawks would lose their game & series the following night to avoid Garth having an issue!
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Your line, "hes a sinful fallen human being like we all are", reminded me of that Rowan Atkinson skit from not the nine oclock news, where he asks a Priest,

Rowan "If God exists, how come he lets people doing a good deed get hurt?"
    Priest "Well we are all sinful in a way"
    Rowan "Speak for yourself, Padre"
    Ehh- never watched Rowan Atkinson- I really don't find him that funny..

Not gonna debate the sin nature, at least not in this thread-

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGarthFan View Post
    If his hurt "pride/ego" is the reason, then he's a Big Baby.
    very possibly.. name calling won't make him tour over there though..

Again, why punish the fans who bought tickets to the Dublin shows, who still want to see him. Why punish fans in all the other European countries who had nothing to do with the Ireland fiasco.
    Garth's the only one who really has the answers to that..

The people who run Croke Park screwed up. The residents in the area around Croke Park are pieces of you know what. They probably would have raised a stink if their hometown heroes U2 scheduled 5 shows.
    yes they did- they screwed up, and they may have very well screwed Europe and/or Ireland/other areas out of getting to have a Garth show in the near future..

It all comes back to his BS about not wanting to disappoint the fans by doing 3 shows instead of 5. He must think we're all complete idiots. Follow his rationale. I don't want to screw 140,000 fans, so I'll screw 350,000?
    sometimes, ya really gotta just learn to let it go.. What does the continual harping on it really accomplish?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Garthfan92 View Post
    They actually did, and it ended up being the ONLY scenario that would have messed with Garth's shows. If Tampa had faced another team, home ice advantage would have changed, and the schedule would have been different (and should have been able to work with Garth's shows). I blame NBC entirely for that however, as I think they dictated the schedule for optimal ratings. I remember after Tampa won their semi-final, even being from Chicago, I was actually hoping the Hawks would lose their game & series the following night to avoid Garth having an issue!
    I still have the ticket stub. I would've got shows on two straight weekends. I remember they announced the cancelled shows as we waited for the show to open the Sunday before Tampa.

+ Reply to Thread