+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garth on Queen

Excited to see the movie. Anyone see it yet?

Yes, and I really enjoyed it. I do wish they would have stuck a bit closer to the truth here and there. But I understand that they made these changes to make the movie more interesting for the general public.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

That was a COOL interview!

I agree - I wish the movie would have stuck closer to the truth. I know they needed the slight timeline revisions to make it more presentable to a 'general' public, and to give it a 'hollywood' feel. I just think by doing that, they really shorted the viewers and wasted the talents of Remi. By the end of the film he was insanely believable as Freddie.

If you like music, and/or have a general interest in Queen or Freddie, the movie will at least be a good time. The details in some spots are great, and inspiring. The re-creation of the Live Aid show is insane. I hope we get the 'full' set as a extra on retail release. I do think they showed too much in the theatre however, judging by those non-Queen fans at my showings. It drug on too long at the end for them.

My biggest gripe about the film is how it generally glosses over the 'beginning', uses the band members as props, changes one very key timeline fact...and then ends. I can't really say 'oh, that's a great film about the band'...but I also can't say 'that's a great film about Freddie'. It's kind of in the middle. More entertainment than history, again so that it is more marketable to a bigger swath of film goers. I wish that a film that tries to set itself up during the viewing as a film about Freddie, and him getting AIDS....would actually explore his life after he found out. More of his 'personal' life could've been fleshed out than what was shown, and it really would've been great to see the years after he found out and was living with AIDS while still touring and making music like a champion. The film made it feel like the career was ended at Live Aid, if you didn't know any better. That was a huge missed opportunity.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by GBJR77 View Post
    I agree - I wish the movie would have stuck closer to the truth. I know they needed the slight timeline revisions to make it more presentable to a 'general' public, and to give it a 'hollywood' feel. I just think by doing that, they really shorted the viewers and wasted the talents of Remi. By the end of the film he was insanely believable as Freddie.

If you like music, and/or have a general interest in Queen or Freddie, the movie will at least be a good time. The details in some spots are great, and inspiring. The re-creation of the Live Aid show is insane. I hope we get the 'full' set as a extra on retail release. I do think they showed too much in the theatre however, judging by those non-Queen fans at my showings. It drug on too long at the end for them.

My biggest gripe about the film is how it generally glosses over the 'beginning', uses the band members as props, changes one very key timeline fact...and then ends. I can't really say 'oh, that's a great film about the band'...but I also can't say 'that's a great film about Freddie'. It's kind of in the middle. More entertainment than history, again so that it is more marketable to a bigger swath of film goers. I wish that a film that tries to set itself up during the viewing as a film about Freddie, and him getting AIDS....would actually explore his life after he found out. More of his 'personal' life could've been fleshed out than what was shown, and it really would've been great to see the years after he found out and was living with AIDS while still touring and making music like a champion. The film made it feel like the career was ended at Live Aid, if you didn't know any better. That was a huge missed opportunity.
    Hmm- I still have to see the movie, but I'm def. interested.... have never been a huge queen fan, but after (among other things) having been exposed to more of their music through the promos for the movie, my daughter's marching band having a queen song in their performance this year, and just paying attention to things overall pop culture wise, Im def. interested in hearing more of them.

From what I've heard (little that it is) about the movie, I'd say KRR that your reviews' almost spot on. glossed over some parts that are less than Hollywood 'wide release' friendly..

Who knows what footage from the. script was left on the cutting room floor- maybe the movie's ripe for an extended release/director's cut? just thoughts
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Hmm. . Well, I went and saw Bohemian rhapsody tonight and, as one who's never really been a fan of queen..

I loved it- honestly, I can say that it may be one of if not the best movie I've seen all year. I'm wondering if it'll compete with A Star is born (haven't seen that yet) for any awards...

I know there are some differences between real life and the movie, and for me that was ok honestly. I didn't really get too caught up in them. I am quite aware that some things were toned down for wider release and even knowing that didn't distract too much from the movie. Some of the details.. Holy cow they were spot on in some spots. (loved the Live Aid performance recreation).. Remi is absolutely believable as Freddie Mercury too..

I could easily see the influence in ways that Queen had on Garth/has on Garth.. I will also wager that I'm going to be listening to lot more of their music now..

Funny part (for me) was Mike Myers' manager character. I don't remember the EXaCT words he used, but the allusion/connection with Wayne's world and Bohemian Rhapsody were hilarious (I almost busted out laughing (in a packed theater)..

all in all- love the interview Garth gave.. love the ability to see the influence Queen had on Garth's music and honestly, loved the movie too!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Mike Myers: He said nobody would be head banging in the car to Bohemian Rapsody!
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    Mike Myers: He said nobody would be head banging in the car to Bohemian Rapsody!
    Yeah!! forgot the exact words but I almost busted out laughing when he said that line-

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    He actually said: "what about 'I'm in love with my car'? Well, that's the kind of songs teenagers can crank up the volume in their car and bang their heads to. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' will never be that song....

Then after they left: mark these words. NOBODY will play Queen

+ Reply to Thread