+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will the "website" portion of PG every come back?

Will the "website" portion of PG every come back?

I really liked reading all of those old press releases regarding the original albums (up to Double Live I think).

It really took me back to the time when the albums were first being released in the 90's.

Any chance they articles come back again?

No.

Not because I don't want to. Let me explain.

In a nutshell, the website and this forum are owned by a guy who made it his passion for years. About ten years ago, he lost interest and does not participate. Unfortunately, he has the digital "keys" to unlock the other parts of the website and has chosen not to allow any content of the website to change. Without his assistance, nothing outside the forum can be altered. Myself and one other member run the forum board. We have access to all the content and permissions for the board, but nothing else.

We don't like it, but that's that.

Well by chance have you looked into that thing I gave you about starting a Discord server?

There is no way for me to migrate the forum to a new server

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    No.

Not because I don't want to. Let me explain.

In a nutshell, the website and this forum are owned by a guy who made it his passion for years. About ten years ago, he lost interest and does not participate. Unfortunately, he has the digital "keys" to unlock the other parts of the website and has chosen not to allow any content of the website to change. Without his assistance, nothing outside the forum can be altered. Myself and one other member run the forum board. We have access to all the content and permissions for the board, but nothing else.

We don't like it, but that's that.
    Thank you for breaking it down for me. But up until a few months ago when one would type planetgarth.com it would take you directly to the actual site and not directly to the forum.

Even if the previous owner didn't want to update the site, why remove access to the old articles ?

Thanks again for your answers and for hosting this great forum!

Let me clarify- The same guy still owns Planetgarth.com and the forums within. I do not have any ownership at all. I just run the board with another member. The owner was tired of receiving emails from various people questioning other parts of the site (outdated stuff, broken links, etc..). Rather than continue to deal with it (and since he has no interest in updating it), he redirected everything to the forum board- which has obviously the most "fresh" stuff.

Got it! Thanks for spelling it out for me, shame but it is what it is.

FWIW, if he reads the board, I say thank you for running a great (and definitive) GB site.

No worries! I do miss the good ol' days of PG. Back in the early 2000's, this place was hoppin'! More than 400 active posters, and another 2,000 or so casual posters. We had a convention and created a book about PG fans. It was crazy.

Yet, I still love this place because we have genuine and knowledgeable people who still post :)

Scott not included ;) :D

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    No worries! I do miss the good ol' days of PG. Back in the early 2000's, this place was hoppin'! More than 400 active posters, and another 2,000 or so casual posters. We had a convention and created a book about PG fans. It was crazy.

Yet, I still love this place because we have genuine and knowledgeable people who still post :)

Scott not included ;) :D
    Hey now Spud! ;)

I remember that book- kinda felt like an outsider at the time, I don't remember all the details (there seemed to be a clique of 'in with it' people at the time) but I remember getting a copy of the book- its' on my garth collection somewhere! :)

In the early 2000's, it was def hopping here. there were some good times, some bad times.. there was the AllGarth knockoff upstart that failed... reports, concert photos, lyrics to garth songs, you name it. I believe the trading post was far more active back then too.. (for garth memorabilia, etc..). times and things have evolved unfortunately. (even the potatoes in charge ;) )
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread