+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, yes or no?

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, yes or no?

So I heard something interesting this morning, apparently Kenny Chesney and Faith Hill were either being nominated or considered for nomination into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but not Garth.

Now they didn't know that Garth is a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Songwriters Hall of Fame, so I wanted to ask, should Garth be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to complete the trifecta or no? Personally and I'm just being pragmatic, I've heard that some rock stars turned down their inductions, and I think he might do the same thing.

Faith Hill is as rock as Kenny G, they would be crazy to let her in, IMO. Kenny, I don't know, he has rock star qualities, huge shows, big productions and is a huge draw, so maybe, but mercy no, not Faith.
    GB, yes, of course, he brought life into country with his rock influence, showing the whole you can mix both perfectly. A electric guitar and country lyrics. Redefined a genre.

Now to clarify, when I said they didn't know, I forgot to mention that I was listening to a Rock and Roll morning show in St. Louis and they also have nothing but love for Garth.

To me this is simple. If it is the “Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame” then no country artist should really be inducted. Of course, it is really more the “Pop” HOF because they let all styles of music in. If they induct country artists he should go in, but I for one think it should be separated. I don’t want Bob Jovi in the Country Music Hall of Fame because they are an enormous rock band that once had one big country hit.

Yeah but keep in mind, Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley are on both organizations. And this is also the same organization that inducted Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and the rest of the N.W.A. in the Hall of Fame, I think they can make room for Garth.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    heck maybe they'd induct Chris Gaines

honestly, I dont see it- Garth's never 'flown his flag' as he says with Rock music.. if there was a general 'music' hall of fame for all genres? sure.. but not as a rock and roll person, he's never been one. besides- the organization took how long to induct KISS, then wouldn't let the band perform if all 4 original members weren't there? kinda a bummer organization anyway... CMHOF- much better
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Yeah but keep in mind, Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley are on both organizations. And this is also the same organization that inducted Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and the rest of the N.W.A. in the Hall of Fame, I think they can make room for Garth.
    To me there is a bigger issue here. If an organization is the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame then I'm not sure country, rap, pop, or whatever artists should be included. The Hall has become a hodge podge of whatever the music elitists want to put in which is yet another reason I don't think Garth would ever get nominated. The organization is kind of a joke and has no identity.

That aside, the cases of Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Hank Sr. (the three major country acts in the Rock Hall) are totally unique. Elvis had a lot of country music crossover success, but he is clearly one of the founders of rock n' roll as we know it. Johnny Cash was one of the handful of guys at Sun Records, along with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, etc. who basically laid the foundation for rock music as we know it. Hank Sr. technically went into the Rock Hall as what is called an "early influence" inductee as someone who influenced the beginnings of rock.

My point is those are all three very unique cases. As far as I know, no other major country act is in the Rock Hall. George Jones, Waylon, Willie, Merle, Patsy Cline, Loretta, Dolly, etc. are not in and I assume that is because they aren't rock n' roll. Granted rap artists aren't rock n' roll either, but I think in the general populations mind everything counts but country music towards the institution. I will say most of the rap artists that are in though are pioneers of the genre. Run D.M.C., Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, NWA - those are all acts that were part of the start of that format.

As I said in my earlier post, I believe in separation unless you are just going to turn it into a "Pop" (as in popular) Hall of Fame. Country music is its own unique format with its own unique fan base, way of doing things, and what it represents. There just comes a point to me where it gets crazy. I'm not being silly, I'm being serious. Where is the line? Bon Jovi had a #1 country hit and recorded in Nashville. They have written with country songwriters, lived here for a period of time, etc. Should they be considered for the Country Hall someday? Songs like "Wanted Dead or Alive", "Blaze of Glory" and their entire album Lost Highway have a lot of country flavored influence. Could they be inducted in the Country Hall for bringing country sounds all around the world? What about Bob Dylan who clearly was an influence on many country artists including some of the guys from the 60s-70s? He was such a big influence on country music they had an exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame for about two years recognizing his influence. I went and saw it. Should he be in the Country Hall? I just feel like there is a line there and that is probably an unpopular opinion, but it is just how I feel about it.

Sure, if Kenny Chesney or Faith Hill goes in the Rock Hall I'm all for Garth being inducted. He should be considered WAY BEFORE either of those. However, I'd argue Waylon, Willie, Merle, George Jones and a bunch of other country acts be considered before Garth.

I think the bigger issue is the Rock Hall of Fame doesn't even know what it is or what it represents.
    Last edited by rhd13; 10-10-2018 at 10:22 AM.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    To me there is a bigger issue here. If an organization is the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame then I'm not sure country, rap, pop, or whatever artists should be included. The Hall has become a hodge podge of whatever the music elitists want to put in which is yet another reason I don't think Garth would ever get nominated. The organization is kind of a joke and has no identity.

That aside, the cases of Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Hank Sr. (the three major country acts in the Rock Hall) are totally unique. Elvis had a lot of country music crossover success, but he is clearly one of the founders of rock n' roll as we know it. Johnny Cash was one of the handful of guys at Sun Records, along with Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, etc. who basically laid the foundation for rock music as we know it. Hank Sr. technically went into the Rock Hall as what is called an "early influence" inductee as someone who influenced the beginnings of rock.

My point is those are all three very unique cases. As far as I know, no other major country act is in the Rock Hall. George Jones, Waylon, Willie, Merle, Patsy Cline, Loretta, Dolly, etc. are not in and I assume that is because they aren't rock n' roll. Granted rap artists aren't rock n' roll either, but I think in the general populations mind everything counts but country music towards the institution. I will say most of the rap artists that are in though are pioneers of the genre. Run D.M.C., Grandmaster Flash, Public Enemy, NWA - those are all acts that were part of the start of that format.

As I said in my earlier post, I believe in separation unless you are just going to turn it into a "Pop" (as in popular) Hall of Fame. Country music is its own unique format with its own unique fan base, way of doing things, and what it represents. There just comes a point to me where it gets crazy. I'm not being silly, I'm being serious. Where is the line? Bon Jovi had a #1 country hit and recorded in Nashville. They have written with country songwriters, lived here for a period of time, etc. Should they be considered for the Country Hall someday? Songs like "Wanted Dead or Alive", "Blaze of Glory" and their entire album Lost Highway have a lot of country flavored influence. Could they be inducted in the Country Hall for bringing country sounds all around the world? What about Bob Dylan who clearly was an influence on many country artists including some of the guys from the 60s-70s? He was such a big influence on country music they had an exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame for about two years recognizing his influence. I went and saw it. Should he be in the Country Hall? I just feel like there is a line there and that is probably an unpopular opinion, but it is just how I feel about it.

Sure, if Kenny Chesney or Faith Hill goes in the Rock Hall I'm all for Garth being inducted. He should be considered WAY BEFORE either of those. However, I'd argue Waylon, Willie, Merle, George Jones and a bunch of other country acts be considered before Garth.

I think the bigger issue is the Rock Hall of Fame doesn't even know what it is or what it represents.
    nicely put!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Agreed with rhd. But they nominated John Prine this year. They need to stop calling it the Rock n Roll hall of fame.

I agree with comments about country in rock and roll hall. But I am guessing Garth would love to be entered into RR Hall because it is the more prestigious of the halls. Country fans may disagree but when people talk about halls for music, that one is tops. So Garth I think will want that feather in his cap. Personally I would change the name to Music Hall of Fame. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I agree with comments about country in rock and roll hall. But I am guessing Garth would love to be entered into RR Hall because it is the more prestigious of the halls. Country fans may disagree but when people talk about halls for music, that one is tops. So Garth I think will want that feather in his cap. Personally I would change the name to Music Hall of Fame. JMHO
    Oh, I'm guessing you are right and he'd probably love it if he got that call. I don't think he will.

I would say among the average music fan out there the Rock Hall is more prestigious than the Country Hall, but when you start to do a lot of digging the Rock Hall has a LOT of issues and controversies surrounding who is in and who isn't. The acts from all different genres is just one complaint. There are many acts who have literally waited over a DECADE to get in that most people felt were sure fire Hall of Famers. KISS and Van Halen both almost never got in.

Sure there will always be debate over who should and shouldn't be in no matter what the institution does. I get that. However, I think there are a lot of mediocre bands in the Hall. There are always some really great bands that have failed to be inducted. This is because the institution was ran by Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone magazine basically. If they liked you, you were in. It is basically a class of elitist, music snobs cramming their idea of what they like on everyone.

It is well documented they hate hard rock and heavy metal that is why there are only a couple of hard rock bands in the place. It's kind of a joke to be honest and it really bothers me because it only tells a part of the story of music.

The Country Hall is much better. It is brutally hard to be inducted into the Country Hall and it is hard to say that anyone in the place doesn't deserve the nod. The one complaint would be there are probably some not in that should be.

It's all very interesting.

I agree with the Rock Hall only being rock, but they've said before it's artists who INFLUENCE rock and roll, no matter the genre. LL Cool J is there, just like ABBA, Beastie Boys and many other non rock artists. I get it, but at the same time, it's silly to call it Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Now to clarify, when I said they didn't know, I forgot to mention that I was listening to a Rock and Roll morning show in St. Louis and they also have nothing but love for Garth.
    I'm from STL. What station? and is there a link?

Quote Originally Posted by themusicuni View Post
    I agree with the Rock Hall only being rock, but they've said before it's artists who INFLUENCE rock and roll, no matter the genre. LL Cool J is there, just like ABBA, Beastie Boys and many other non rock artists. I get it, but at the same time, it's silly to call it Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    Yes, I get putting in artists that have influenced rock. I guess my point is where does it stop? I just don’t feel putting in dozens of country artists makes sense especially when some of the greatest rock bands of all-time can’t even get inducted. That whole institution is messed up.

Eh, I could care less what they call the R&R Hall of Fame, or who they let in. It's just a museum, after all. If they want to nominate and vote in the Easter Bunny, it's really up to them. I don't get too fussed when I visit Hard Rock Cafes across the world and check out their memorabilia that has nothing to do with "hard rock" per se. The R&RHOF is no different. Also, "rock & roll" is such a generic term, that it could potentially be synonymous with pop, rap, r&b, etc. Rock n roll as a strictly held genre certainly influences all of those other genres, including country, and all of those genres certainly influence rock.

So if they want to nominate and induct Garth, then great! He's certainly a prime example of an artist who has had phenomenal crossover success. I'm also sure Garth would be honored to be considered and/or inducted, especially after learning from the Vegas show just how much rock influenced Garth's country sound. So again, if they want him, then sweet!! I'm not going to get too hung up on the label.

+ Reply to Thread