+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Garth Brooks: The Live Anthology Part III

I'm going to reserve judgment until we get the tracklist, but if the Triple Live songs that have already been released make up 26 of the 52 songs that will be kind of disappointing. That leaves us with only 26 songs and then the question becomes how many of those were on Double Live/The Road (from the last box set)? I'm really hoping that there are at least some live things we haven't heard. Of course, ideally Triple Live would just be bundled with it and not actually in the Anthology, but the way the Billboard article reads it seems pretty clear that Triple Live is a part of those 52 tracks.

This definitely answers one of the questions I've had though. It appears that we may have a pattern here of a book and 5 discs. I kind of thought he might break the pattern with the live volume and include some DVDs. I do hope we eventually see the Anthology DVD set which was talked about last year in the original article.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I do hope we eventually see the Anthology DVD set which was talked about last year in the original article.
    What do you wanna bet that the DVD portion is never spoken of again??

I kinda thought there wont be a DVD portion at all.

Very very surprise NO DVD at all. Very surprise that Triple Live is going to play a part.

5 discs 52 songs, around ten songs per disc is extremely light.

It would appear the songs will be taken from his previously aired live performances.

If there is nothing that hasnt been released before that is a huge let down.

In saying that the Book, will rock!!!! And the AR thing might of be interest to people who have it
    on their phones.

I am kinda curious on how this will effect Triple Live? Will it confuse the casual Garth fan? Will Triple Live be released first since he has already done the TLFM? And is he doing to much catalog stuff at the same time? I mean he has the Diamond series thing also coming out. Don't get me wrong, I am currently updating my collection since I added a couple of pieces recently. I love new stuff and hope with all this new stuff will mean that people are not showing any interest in his stuff that is out right now. LOL. Then we have the new year coming up with new album. Then maybe anniversary edition of Garth Brooks. With all this new Garth product coming out, I need to make room and am going to take my U2 stuff to the trading post and grab some of the Garth items they have.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    hmm- not gonna do too much speculating (I hope ) but I'll say this, the complaints will come, have started already... I guess it's gotta happen..

Still.. my takeaways...

yes, I'm like charles.. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cover!!!!

]The 52 recordings include the music from Triple Live
    So, that's gonna be what, at least 26 songs of the 52? that's half... .. 10.4 songs average per disc.. ok...

10 augmented-reality experiences available through the Garth Live app to book purchasers.
    could be interesting, or could be a huge cluster$$$$ dep. on people I guess. like the ideas of an app, but not too into AR stuff...

The book traces the six-time CMA Entertainer of the Year from his college appearances while attending Oklahoma State University in Yukon to his rise to stardom opening for acts like Reba McEntire, The Judds and Kenny Rogers, through his most recent tour, which drew 6.4 million people
    .. not gonna happen, but if ever there was a time to get official Hungry years era recordings/stories, this seems to be the perfect time

Additionally, each Anthology is expected to have its own two-and-a-half-hour documentary.
    didn't happen with the first set. . will that be rectified? (re release???) or what form will documentaries take? could be video stuff to come yet!

Anthology Part III includes interviews with Brooks, wife Trisha Yearwood and his band and crew, as well as 100 behind-the-scenes and performance photos
    I keep singing the line "oh the stories we could tell if it weren't for the code of the road..." This could be interesting. I'd love to hear the EARLY stories. honestly it'll be al ot of (I'm sure) interviews w/ current band members. but the road stories, the poss. for anecdotes we've not been exposed to- that could be fun!

all in all, can't wait for 11/20!! I'm going to go to AZ the next day, I have reading material ready to go!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Book will be brilliant.

In terms of Multimedia, To have no video, and if 26 of the 52 songs are from triple live, if all of
    the other have been released previously, if there is an extra cost to do the AR thing, I think
    it's fair enough that there are complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I am kinda curious on how this will effect Triple Live? Will it confuse the casual Garth fan? Will Triple Live be released first since he has already done the TLFM? And is he doing to much catalog stuff at the same time? I mean he has the Diamond series thing also coming out. Don't get me wrong, I am currently updating my collection since I added a couple of pieces recently. I love new stuff and hope with all this new stuff will mean that people are not showing any interest in his stuff that is out right now. LOL. Then we have the new year coming up with new album. Then maybe anniversary edition of Garth Brooks. With all this new Garth product coming out, I need to make room and am going to take my U2 stuff to the trading post and grab some of the Garth items they have.
    And I forgot to mention the maybe vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Mods can close this thread, since we have the other thread.
    I merged the threads instead and added "Part III" to the title...much better to keep all discussion on a topic in one thread.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Book will be brilliant.

In terms of Multimedia, To have no video, and if 26 of the 52 songs are from triple live, if all of
    the other have been released previously, if there is an extra cost to do the AR thing, I think
    it's fair enough that there are complaints.
    IF there is an extra cost.... IF all of the others have been released previously.. key word there is IF. no one knows.. that's why I said I'm not gonna do too much speculating. The rampant speculating will lead to disappointment when what Garth actually delivers isn't what was expected due to speculation...

not trying to pick on you brett, but just let ride.. enjoy what will come rather than prepping yourself to be disappointed and complaining about what Garth delivers...

Not gonna say I'm salivating at 'AR' features myself.. that's not something that'll move many units (to me- it's gimmicky).. the real gems lie in the possibility of unreleased live recordings and the stories in the book portion

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I know everybody has different opinions on this, but I have no problem with speculation about what is on these projects. I think that is part of the fun. Where I do have a problem is when the fun speculation becomes expectation. People get excited and expect something that has never been promised and that is where the problem lies I think.

The reality is I'm not sure why we expect much music wise because history has shown us that Garth's box sets/big projects are primarily re-releases aimed at what I have called in the past "the lowest common denominator". He is after the casual fan to move as many units as possible. That is not any of us on this board. Typically he gives us just enough to make it worth the ridiculously low price so we will purchase as well.

Look at the history of "new" stuff in his box sets:

- Limited Series - 6 new songs

- Limited Series (2nd release) - 11 new songs (The Lost Sessions), a worthless DVD, and a new cover for Double Live. The Lost Sessions was released later with 17 songs so if you just wanted new music you could've skipped the box and gotten all the music a few months later.

- Blame It All On My Roots - This was the one exception. 4 discs of "new" material and a DVD of the Vegas show.

- The Ultimate Collection - Despite 10 discs of material only 1 disc was new, Gunslinger. With the other 9 discs there was a total of 6 "new" songs.

- Anthology 1 - Five CDs with 19 previously unreleased tracks and the book.

With the exception of Blame It All On My Roots the audio of all of these boxes have been very heavily weighted towards re-released material. There is no evidence to show we are going to get a boat load of stuff we've never seen or heard. We may get a few bits and pieces, but I think to expect him to drop an entire box of something that no one has ever heard is just something that is not going to happen.

On a side note, the MOST EXCITING part of the Anthology project for me was the DVD portion. I am really concerned that this has not been talked about in a year.

5 discs... my fear is that discs 1 & 2 will basically be a paired down version of Double Live with some of The Road tracks mixed in, and Discs 3, 4, and 5 will be Triple Live.

And heaven help me, but I really hope all the tracks are sung by Garth this time. No Tony Arata live performances, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    5 discs... my fear is that discs 1 & 2 will basically be a paired down version of Double Live with some of The Road tracks mixed in, and Discs 3, 4, and 5 will be Triple Live.

And heaven help me, but I really hope all the tracks are sung by Garth this time. No Tony Arata live performances, please.
    Honestly, I think this is the most likely scenario with, if we are lucky, a handful of tracks that have never been released.

I love Garth and will buy whatever he puts out but to be honest this whole anthology thing has been disappointing so far. I think he did it wrong and itís a shame. I am so tired of him putting out crap to appeal to the younger crowd and ignoring his die hard fan base. I donít know if he put the anthology together or his people did but it is not good and I feel like he could have asked anyone on here to do it and it would have been a thousand times better.

Anthology 1
    - pics are great but could have been better.
    - Tell me the thoughts that went into the album. What songs almost became singles, songs you were not a huge fan of
    - How did you come up with your look, why a cowboy hat
    - How did you find the band members.

The biggest disappointment was the CD and DVD missing. Should have had
    - DVD of all network specials for the first 5 years
    - DVD of all award shows both performances and winning awards
    - DVD of any performances he did on TV shows like Hee Haw and etc
    - DVD of interviews he did
    - DVD footage of early shows he did

- CD of acoustic covers
    - CD of songs that almost made the album

If he did this we would have a complete collection of everything Garth for each era and feel like itís all covered. He instead took the easy way out and I feel cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I know everybody has different opinions on this, but I have no problem with speculation about what is on these projects. I think that is part of the fun. Where I do have a problem is when the fun speculation becomes expectation. People get excited and expect something that has never been promised and that is where the problem lies I think.
    If i'm honest when looking at things, Ryan, i think thats kinda how i am too.. the speculation becoming expectation.. almost like saying it enough times will make it true. speculating on what should happen enough times, will make it what will happen. That's not ever going to be the case. Whatever Garth will do with the anthology (and well, with any of his releases) is simply that. what Garth will do. over speculation turns into expectation, and that turns into grumbling/griping/tired whining (for lack of a better way to put it) I've been guilty of doing it myself....

The reality is I'm not sure why we expect much music wise because history has shown us that Garth's box sets/big projects are primarily re-releases aimed at what I have called in the past "the lowest common denominator". He is after the casual fan to move as many units as possible. That is not any of us on this board. Typically he gives us just enough to make it worth the ridiculously low price so we will purchase as well.
    AMEN and AMEN

On a side note, the MOST EXCITING part of the Anthology project for me was the DVD portion. I am really concerned that this has not been talked about in a year.
    very good point!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    While I love hearing Tony Arata (a very memorable part of my now almost 20 year old trip to nashville ) , I would have to wager (and it's just a guess) that you'd be more likely to hear Bryan Kennedy or Mitch Rossell singing something than Tony on this record.. that's just a guess, based solely what the one article that has talked about what would be on the cds in this set says..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I can understand including the demo to a song as legendary as The Dance but please spare me the Mitch Rosell version of Ask Me How I Know

Again I will say that I am in for this if priced at $25 or less if only to get a physical and properly mixed version of Triple Live.

But most of my listening this holiday season will revolve around the huge John Lennon Imagine super deluxe and the even bigger Beatles White Album super deluxe set.

Garth please add some real gems on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    IF there is an extra cost.... IF all of the others have been released previously.. key word there is IF. no one knows.. that's why I said I'm not gonna do too much speculating. The rampant speculating will lead to disappointment when what Garth actually delivers isn't what was expected due to speculation...

not trying to pick on you brett, but just let ride.. enjoy what will come rather than prepping yourself to be disappointed and complaining about what Garth delivers...

Not gonna say I'm salivating at 'AR' features myself.. that's not something that'll move many units (to me- it's gimmicky).. the real gems lie in the possibility of unreleased live recordings and the stories in the book portion
    Its all good skywise, I totally understand your point and where you are coming from, and have to admit guilt in some cases of doing this.

Yes I think the book will be brilliant, if Its anything like the cover.

Heres the thing though, expectations for a Anthology has to be higher than for a Box Set/Greatest Hits/Collection/Compilation.

Every artist may be different, but if you look at the Anthology's for other artists, they have all knocked it out of the park in terms of the multi media part of it.

I dont think anyone here wouldve thought, there would be Zero DVD component to this thing.

We knew triple live may be thrown in as a CD extra with the thing, but not be part of it.

52 songs over five discs is light.

NO previously unreleased material, means the fan base has every right to say.....

This is NOT an anthology, and it's purpose seems to be building up Garth's RIAA numbers.

Then again, I think the Book is going to save it.

It's just sad that Garth has so much in his vault, that has never been seen, and will never be released and History
    has shown us this is what Anthology are for.

Triple Live far exceeded my highest expectations, so there is hope that some of ther 52 songs on this have never been released before.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 10-02-2018 at 04:58 PM.

interesting your post doesn't show your whole reply? huh..

Heres the thing though, expectations for a Anthology has to be higher than for a Box Set/Greatest Hits/Collection/Compilation.
    ok playing devil's advocate... . why ?

Every artist may be different, but if you look at the Anthology's for other artists, they have all knocked it out of the park in terms of the multi media part of it.
    thats subjective but ok.. key thing is.... GARTH ISN'T OTHER ARTISTS.... he never has been.. he does things his own way (not smartly sometimes I will say..) yes his career parallels KISS in many ways, and they knocked their 3 KISSOLOGY video anthologies out of the park.... doesn't mean it'll happen w/ Garth.. (though it COULD be good)

I dont think anyone here wouldve thought, there would be Zero DVD component to this thing.
    I will agree to that, though it leaves open poss. for 'rehash' and 're release'.... personally, I'd love to see Garth do digital (ePub) formats of his anthology books too...

We knew triple live may be thrown in as a CD extra with the thing, but not be part of it.
    10 to 1, this is the physical release of Triple live, the reg. mix.. it'll be released w/ the anthology (first) then later on by it's own with more tracks etc..

52 songs over five discs is light.
    very true... but it's on par with anthology 1

NO previously unreleased material, means the fan base has every right to say.....

This is NOT an anthology, and it's purpose seems to be building up Garth's RIAA numbers.
    I disagree.. the definition of anthology is
    a collection of selected literary pieces or passages or works of art or music
    acc. to merriam webster...

this IS a collection of selected works of music... it IS an anthology... its' just not the anthology that some people WANT or EXPECT... now, that being said- we know 52 songs.. we know 5 cd's... we know 26 songs (assuming) are Triple Live (if not more).. where does it say the other songs won't be unreleased? where specifically is it stating that they'll be previously released? we don't know that yet, it's speculation.. and setting ones self up for disappointment

Then again, I think the Book is going to save it.
    dep. on what's in there, I totally agree here

It's just sad that Garth has so much in his vault, that has never been seen, and will never be released
    pure speculation. no one knows the future- it's possible that you're right but it's equally possible that you're not. could Garth's estate release things after he passes? surely... will they? who knows

and History
    has shown us this is what Anthology are for.
    according to what objective standard?

Triple Live far exceeded my highest expectations, so there is hope that some of ther 52 songs on this have never been released before.
    def. exceeded expectations.. theres always hope...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

From Rolling stone magazine...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...oncert-731941/

Like The Anthology Part I, the upcoming release, due November 20th, will include detailed text written by the superstar entertainer with Warren Zanes, as well as more than 100 performance photos and candid, behind-the-scenes images from shows throughout the world. An added feature of the new volume will be a series of augmented reality experiences available to view by downloading the Garth Live app and holding it over the book cover, as well as over various photos inside the anthology.

From Rolling stone magazine...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...oncert-731941/

Like The Anthology Part I, the upcoming release, due November 20th, will include detailed text written by the superstar entertainer with Warren Zanes, as well as more than 100 performance photos and candid, behind-the-scenes images from shows throughout the world. An added feature of the new volume will be a series of augmented reality experiences available to view by downloading the Garth Live app and holding it over the book cover, as well as over various photos inside the anthology.
    hehe I still have to read that article- printed out the PDF of it but gotta read it .. was working

the app thing sounds interesting

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    interesting your post doesn't show your whole reply? huh..

ok playing devil's advocate... . why ?

thats subjective but ok.. key thing is.... GARTH ISN'T OTHER ARTISTS.... he never has been.. he does things his own way (not smartly sometimes I will say..) yes his career parallels KISS in many ways, and they knocked their 3 KISSOLOGY video anthologies out of the park.... doesn't mean it'll happen w/ Garth.. (though it COULD be good)

I will agree to that, though it leaves open poss. for 'rehash' and 're release'.... personally, I'd love to see Garth do digital (ePub) formats of his anthology books too...

10 to 1, this is the physical release of Triple live, the reg. mix.. it'll be released w/ the anthology (first) then later on by it's own with more tracks etc..

very true... but it's on par with anthology 1

I disagree.. the definition of anthology is acc. to merriam webster...

this IS a collection of selected works of music... it IS an anthology... its' just not the anthology that some people WANT or EXPECT... now, that being said- we know 52 songs.. we know 5 cd's... we know 26 songs (assuming) are Triple Live (if not more).. where does it say the other songs won't be unreleased? where specifically is it stating that they'll be previously released? we don't know that yet, it's speculation.. and setting ones self up for disappointment

dep. on what's in there, I totally agree here

pure speculation. no one knows the future- it's possible that you're right but it's equally possible that you're not. could Garth's estate release things after he passes? surely... will they? who knows

according to what objective standard?

def. exceeded expectations.. theres always hope...
    I posted it before I was finished then I edited it to add more.

Without trying to repeat myself, I know Garth isnt every other artist, Im just going by whats been done in the past, and as music buyers when an
    Anthology gets released, I guess we expect more than a greatest hits.

The reason I think he will never release whats in his vault is because the Anthology will be the perfect time to do it, if he was going to release it, I
    think it will be in there.

If just half a dozen of the songs havent been released before I will be happy.

So basically Garth is going the Nintendo 3DS route: https://youtu.be/43uSXA9qUe8

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    So basically Garth is going the Nintendo 3DS route: https://youtu.be/43uSXA9qUe8
    Or the iPhone route

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUbCiO2SSRA

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I'm looking forward to the house keeping songs that made the cut. I just hope it's his rarer songs and not "Turn the Page" etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    I'm looking forward to the house keeping songs that made the cut. I just hope it's his rarer songs and not "Turn the Page" etc.
    I see that, but at the same time I would love to get his versions of Amarillo By Morning and Piano Man, even though he plays those songs a lot.

Yes, Amarillo By Morning for sure!!!!?

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    another Amen!!!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Yes, Amarillo By Morning for sure!!!!?

Amarillo by morning definitely, esp. if it's the whole song..

piano man would be nice too, actually..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

My biggest fear is that all the audio portion of this set are tracks from Double Live/The Road/Triple Live. That would be enough tracks to probably account for the 52 if you include a few "bonus" tracks that we haven't heard yet. However, I've been thinking that it might be odd if there were multiple versions of a bunch of the songs (ie. tracks repeated on both Double Live and Triple Live).

It appears Triple Live will be on there so I'm assuming that's about 26 tracks (around half) of the songs in the set. I think it's safe to say that there will be more tracks on Triple Live with "Much Too Young", "To Make You Feel My Love" and "All-American Kid" seemingly confirmed by Garth himself. Who knows what else might even be added.

If we don't see a repeat of several songs and we get 52 unique songs then there is a chance there are several interesting things on here. Again, not an expectation just speculating. I'm curious if we have multiple versions of the really big hits from different time periods or if we've got 52 unique songs. If that's the case it could get interesting.

+ Reply to Thread