+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Garth @ Notre Dame on 10/20

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    I would just turn it into a positive instead of being so negative. Awesome concert plus you got to be an extra on a TV...Besides, did you have anywhere else to be Saturday night?
    This....😀

I have to say, I don't understand why some people were SO disappointed. I think there were 4 songs he had us go back and re-sing the chorus on a time or two, and I believe it was That Summer he stopped just a few bars in to start over wanting a bigger reaction from the crowd. The only thing I could have done w/o was the wave part. I didn't find it at all excessive otherwise. I still thought it was a great show, in spite of the weather.
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthfan92 View Post
    I have to say, I don't understand why some people were SO disappointed. I think there were 4 songs he had us go back and re-sing the chorus on a time or two, and I believe it was That Summer he stopped just a few bars in to start over wanting a bigger reaction from the crowd. The only thing I could have done w/o was the wave part. I didn't find it at all excessive otherwise. I still thought it was a great show, in spite of the weather.
    where were your seats? I THOUGHT there'd have to be another PG'er that was there..

I'm not gonna bust on peoples' opinions on things.. Just gonna say, and maybe it's me... But this is one time I think negatives are wrong. was it the best of all time? no.. was it the worst? no. as Ryan (I think?) said, the truth is in the middle not the extremes...

my only complaint (now looking back on it) was the weather and Garth's really not in control of that... I do feel rather sorry for the people who had been double fisting (at least twice) the 24oz beers, and then got in an argument with someone (wife/ex husband/husband I think).. They were thrown out (well the guy was I think his wife left with him.. but man she'd have to be mad !) literally 5-10m before Garth came on stage...

I DID notice he sang the first and third VERSES of All Day long, and the first and second CHORUSES... ehh forgivable....

long travel day.. . longer travel experience but a great time IMO
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I was not there but I have read a ton of reviews of the show so here is where I am at.

Why did he decide to do a show outside this late in the year? He was off all summer, yes could have rained then too but would not have been so cold. If he wanted the student experience then do it in August or September. Read where the fans were getting soaked in the first few rows by water coming off the tent above stage

TV came and said letís make this for a network special. I donít fault him for it but fans did not buy tickets for that and sign up for it. From what I have read many were disappointed over having to see several songs be redone.

If he was going to do this for TV why not just sell two shows, wear the same stuff and edit that way? If one time thing then take what you get

The stage to me looks horrible. Bars and crap everywhere. I would rather have it in the end zone like everyone else does it.

Why is he doing Beatles songs? He talks about Merle haggard and George Jones and strait but does Beatles songs? Would have rather heard something new

He talks about this tour being new stuff but what new stuff did he bring? All day long and ? Where was ask me how I know? Where was whiskey to wine (forgot Trisha might melt) another lie about new stuff.

I hope the network special turns out good but for a lot of people it seemed like a let down

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I was not there but I have read a ton of reviews of the show so here is where I am at.

Why did he decide to do a show outside this late in the year? He was off all summer, yes could have rained then too but would not have been so cold. If he wanted the student experience then do it in August or September. Read where the fans were getting soaked in the first few rows by water coming off the tent above stage

TV came and said letís make this for a network special. I donít fault him for it but fans did not buy tickets for that and sign up for it. From what I have read many were disappointed over having to see several songs be redone.

If he was going to do this for TV why not just sell two shows, wear the same stuff and edit that way? If one time thing then take what you get

The stage to me looks horrible. Bars and crap everywhere. I would rather have it in the end zone like everyone else does it.

Why is he doing Beatles songs? He talks about Merle haggard and George Jones and strait but does Beatles songs? Would have rather heard something new

He talks about this tour being new stuff but what new stuff did he bring? All day long and ? Where was ask me how I know? Where was whiskey to wine (forgot Trisha might melt) another lie about new stuff.

I hope the network special turns out good but for a lot of people it seemed like a let down
    I spent a lot of time on social media yesterday, facebook and twitter and youtube.

I would say a lot and I mean over 50% of the complaints about him redoing songs, weren't genuine they were from trolls. I say this because on twitter the negative tweets came from accounts that had just been set up in the past few weeks, and their twitter handles seems to have a huge long number 8-12 digits after their name.

It seemed like they were from people who werent even at the concert but had a beef with Garth.

Im sure there were people who didnt like him redoing some songs though.

On the whole the feedback was positive, and for me personally some of the clips looked amazing,
    he looked to be enjoying himself so much and giving 100% and hats off to the crowd for being
    so vocal and so into the concert in such appalling conditions.

Ive watched a lot of garth clips from concert and this concert really stood out to me as something
    special, it was everything combined, the weather was part of it, it was as Garth called it an event,
    not just a normal concert, I was super impressed by it all. Cant wait to download the TV special.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    where were your seats? I THOUGHT there'd have to be another PG'er that was there.
    I was towards the back of F6. Fantastic seat if only I wasn't so short, so still watched a lot on the screen.

Thanks for your review, Scott. Glad you had a good time.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    Thanks for your review, Scott. Glad you had a good time.
    no problem!! had a great time (though I've picked up a cold out of the deal.. oh well small trade off!)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Garthfan92 View Post
    I was towards the back of F6. Fantastic seat if only I wasn't so short, so still watched a lot on the screen.

ah man! I was in Section 105, row 4. which worked out great as yes it was the upper bowl but I was in the first row of the upper bowl so no one in front.. I ALMOST had tickets close to your area when my phone glitched out...

great show even w/ the weather eh?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post

there were TIMES when people were getting wet due to the stage.. it wasn't 'soaked' by any means, and it wasn't constant.. as for why he chose this datE? that's a million dollar question- could have had something to do with availability, could have had something to do with well really almost anything. I do know that there were several ND students working the merchandise tents ( got the feeling they were business majors, etc.. but that may be just me) and I heard more than once them say they were on fall break... MAAYBE it was so more fans could come to the show- don't know..

TV came and said let’s make this for a network special. I don’t fault him for it but fans did not buy tickets for that and sign up for it. From what I have read many were disappointed over having to see several songs be redone.
    while I personally found it rather fascinating to see the 'production/business' side of Garth on display with the entertainter/artist side. I will say that it wasn't SEVERAL songs... it was 7 (The River, 2 Pina Coladas, Standing Outside the Fire, Let it Be / Hey Jude, and FILP. The River, 2 pina coladas, standing outside the fire were really 'blink and it's over' re shoots. more for catching the crowd singing the last chorus... and it was one time, done. Let it Be and Hey Jude did have to be redone multiple times, but again, only a limited part/chorus, not a whole song. FILP was 're sang' for the chorus like the other songs, after the show / before housecleaning.

...The stage to me looks horrible. Bars and crap everywhere. I would rather have it in the end zone like everyone else does it.
    Yep.. you could do that- and you'd never reach the entire stadium. not like the 'in the round' stage did. was it perfect? no. I think the mariner star setup that's coming (4 directions) will be better. but it was fine.. (and the stage could rotate though it really didn't much. that may have been a weather casualty)

it's part of the Music 101 thing for each show. this was prob. more o a trial run on it.. it'll be tweaked. trying to get the kids of today to remember the greatest songs of all time (as he put it..) only ehh part was the falsetto singing in the first song.. that can/will be cleaned up I'm sure..

this show wasn't a part of the tour.. it's the 'blueprint' or 'test run' of sorts.. I think it should have been a model of the show, until CBS came in.. then it became an event...

can't say that the people in the stadium seemed to be let down, at least not in the areas around me. maybe down on the floor there were some complainers, can't be certain- they had more direct rain / snow/ weather/cold, and the like. but a let down? not from what I saw..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Personally I didn't mind the re-shoots. They weren't the entire song, just the chorus. And it made for a unique experience. It was fun listening to Garth's banter back and fourth with the crowd. When he sang the river the stadium lit up with everyone's cell phones. When we did the re-shoot, he had us clap our hands. Then he said the people on TV are going to wonder how the hell we clapped our hands while holding onto our iphones. That got a laugh out of the audience. At one point they shot one of the promo's for the special and he had us do it again. Then he joked that the last take was for his personal collection. It was funny and entertaining.

The best thing about this concert is that I get to watch it on TV. I'm gonna do the same thing I do with everyone of his specials. Record it and listen to it over and over. I'm gonna have a professional recording of a Garth concert that I was at. What more can I ask for.

Wow, tough crowd! I do find it annoying to sit through the reshoots. I saw his show in LA in 2008 and it was weird because the first hour was being recorded live to the nation on CBS. There, you had commercial breaks and he would sometime sing a different song that wasn't being recorded or he would just banter to fill time. The show was smoother once the live feed ended. He could just do his normal show. I was at both Yankee stadium shows. He tried some silly ramp running idea with the opening of "Sugar Cane" being played by the band. It never saw the light of day. He was trying to entertain and come up with something fresh and new. Even though it didn't work, I appreciated him trying. Ultimately, he's doing his job. He's entertaining!

Mostly, for me, I prefer arenas to stadiums, though. I probably won't be going to more than a couple of his stadium shows because for me, the show loses its intimacy. Plus, the crowd noise seems to escape when outdoors. The Yankee Stadium shows weren't very loud compared to his arena shows. I had 5th row and 8th row for those shows and I actually think I might have enjoyed them more if I was able to see more of the staging and lighting. I also knew what I was getting into before I attended the concerts. The stadium shows are more of an "event." That's just my opinion. Others may love the "event" feel more than his regular arena shows.
    "Just keep taking chances and having fun."

My lord are some of you on here sounding like absolutely whiny, entitled people.
    I thought my Meat Loaf fan forum was bad at times...

Garth is who he is, and hes human. Sometimes he says things that end up not happening, or can't happen for some reason. Sometimes he gets excited and wants to share that with us and it ends up not turning out. Sometimes a large corporation, CBS, wants to put him back on air as his own special, not just a blip at an awards show. Who is he to say no to that huge offer?

Was it perfect? No.
    But if he wasn't out there, performing, ya'll would be pining for it like we did for years before he came back.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    So is “Live Again” actually “Learning to Live Again” or something else?

PS - Hope you had a blast Skywise!
    Different song. It was originally in contention for "Gunslinger"; I remember hearing part of the chorus in the background of one of the Studio G videos. Maybe its appearance in Saturday night's setlist is a good sign it's on the new album?

Here's the original version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6uxUYWlMGM

Definitely a song I can imagine Garth nailing.
    Last edited by coco1997; 10-22-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    ah man! I was in Section 105, row 4. which worked out great as yes it was the upper bowl but I was in the first row of the upper bowl so no one in front.. I ALMOST had tickets close to your area when my phone glitched out...

great show even w/ the weather eh?
    Yes, in spite of the weather, I still thought it was great! My orig seat was in section 30, but a friend that ended up not being able to go transferred me hers last minute.

+ Reply to Thread