+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Triple Live (fan cut) discussion

Needs more of the magic

Too much of the "magic" was cut out of this. For example, how could the last song on this set not be "Standing Outside the Fire?" And it should start the way it did almost every night starting around St. Louis (if I remember correctly - maybe it was later): with him saying "Give me everything you've got left" and playing on his own.

I am enjoying it, but it is missing a piece of its soul.

I will say, even though I don't love them, the fade ins & outs DO make it much easier to tinker with the run order and make these playlists.

Way too much thinking going on here. The record company literally just took half of their half-done songs and put them in a zip file as a neat little teaser. Nothing more.

3 discs becusue those are probably where those songs will live on the full album.

Quote Originally Posted by StormHawk View Post
    Way too much thinking going on here. The record company literally just took half of their half-done songs and put them in a zip file as a neat little teaser. Nothing more.

3 discs becusue those are probably where those songs will live on the full album.
    I think you are somewhat right. Iím guessing 10-14 songs more is all that is left though. Regardless, just like Double Live it is just a random track list with no flow (a live greatest hits per se). Thatís why I personally wanted to make it flow like a show.

I think I got a more legitimate complaint that needs to be addressed: is it me or did the entire thing just sound too damn quiet?

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I think you are somewhat right. I’m guessing 10-14 songs more is all that is left though. Regardless, just like Double Live it is just a random track list with no flow (a live greatest hits per se). That’s why I personally wanted to make it flow like a show.
    Haha... I'm starting to realize that now that I've arranged the tracklist to flow more like an actual show, I'm actually somewhat dreading having to figure out where to put all those extra songs when we get them. First world problems at their worst!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Haha... I'm starting to realize that now that I've arranged the tracklist to flow more like an actual show, I'm actually somewhat dreading having to figure out where to put all those extra songs when we get them. First world problems at their worst!!
    You don't know how good this makes me feel because I've been thinking the same thing. HA! Maybe we are both crazy

Over the 3 1/2 years I got to go to 14 shows and there were clearly patterns of songs that emerged. The basic setlist was the same every night with a few substitutions/add-in slots or songs that he switched out the 2nd half of the tour. Also, the house cleaning segment also seemed to have songs that showed up on a more regular basis. Based upon all that I took a stab at the track list of Triple Live several weeks ago (in another thread). Of course, this was before he dropped it on us Monday. It appears this first version is a shortened version based on his comments. Of the 26 songs on this first version, 23 were on my list. The only three I whiffed on were "Mom" (just didn't think this would make it but clearly he loves it), "Guy Goin' Nowhere" (my predictions were made before he told us this was on there), and "The Fireman". The other 23 I had listed.

In total I specifically guessed 32 songs and I said I believed it would include most of those I listed, but there would be a few "surprises" (and that's already happened). I also guessed when all is said and done we will have a 36-40 track list. Again, this is not what I'm hoping for or anything like that. It is a guess based upon a little setlist analysis and the fact that a two disc Double Live set had 25 songs. That seems to make it reasonable that a 3 disc set would have somewhere in the 36-40 range. Two songs I failed to pick initially that I now think could make the set are "Shout" and "American Pie". "Shout" was played after "Shameless" when it was added to the set and "American Pie", when played, always closed. Don't think I've ever seen it played when it didn't close the set out. If anyone has seen it played when it wasn't the closer I'd be curious to hear about that show.

With all that said, here is how I would add those songs in Emerald. I will bold the songs that I have guessed still may be coming. Again, this is just a guess and not even really an expectation. If we don't get this I'm not going to be crazy disappointed. Just a fun game to play.

1. Man Against Machine
    2. Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance
    3. Rodeo
    4. Two of a Kind
    5. Beaches of Cheyenne
    6. River
    7. Two Pina Coladas
    8. Papa Loved Mama
    9. Ain't Goin Down
    10. Unanswered Prayers
    11. If Tomorrow Never Comes
    12. To Make You Feel My Love
    13. That Summer
    14. People Loving People
    15. Ask Me How I Know
    16. The Thunder Rolls
    17. In Another's Eyes
    18. Whiskey To Wine
    19. Walkaway Joe
    20. Shameless
    21. Calling Baton Rouge
    22. FILP
    23. The Dance
    24. The Fever
    25. Guy Goin' Nowhere
    26. Mom
    27. Fishin' in the Dark
    28. Tacoma
    29. The Fireman
    30. More Than A Memory
    31. We Shall Be Free
    32. Much Too Young
    33. Longneck Bottle
    34. All-American Kid
    35. SOTF

I will say with the exception of "Guy Goin' Nowhere" and "Mom" at the top of the encore and "SOTF" as the closer the encore could go in any order for me. The way I see it is house keeping is always pretty random except he usually starts with just him and a guitar and brings the band on later. There are exceptions to this pattern throughout the tour, but I like the continuity of acoustic then full band in that house keeping portion for my track list.
    Last edited by rhd13; 08-31-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Since I've ripped all the songs off his TV-specials to MP3, and together with every other album Garth has released, uploaded to my Google Play Music account, I have plenty of shows and songs to choose from, but this is my playlist where I've kept all the songs from Triple Live, since I Love the sound and fan mix. (Little low sound but..)

1. The Old Stuff (Dublin) (Hard to choose between The Old Stuff and Not Counting You from Reunion Arena)
    2. Rodeo
    3. TBOC
    4. Two Of A Kind
    5. That Summer
    6. The THunder Rolls
    7. Papa Loved Mama
    8. Ask Me How I Know
    9. Shamless
    10. PLP
    11. Fishin'
    12. IAE
    13. WTW
    14. Mom
    15. Much To Young (Central Park)
    16. Callin' Baton Rouge
    17. UP
    18. If Tomorrow Never Comes (Dublin)
    19. The Fever (Dublin)
    20. FILP
    21. The Dance
    ------
    22. Ain't Going Down
    23. The River
    24. Tacoma
    25. Guy Going Nowhere
    26. The Fireman
    27. MTAM
    28. Two PiŮa Colada
    29.We Shall Be Free
    30. AHBA (This is Garth Brooks, Too - Texas Stadium)
    31. SOTF
    Last edited by swecow; 08-31-2018 at 11:47 AM.

I never really listened to Tacoma. Maybe 4 times? It’s now one of my favorites off of this release. This live version is so much better.

Which leads me to another thought... Do you think we’re going to see these quirky versions on the retail version (Tacoma w/ Nebraska, Callin Baron Rouge with the ‘State Anthem’, In anothers eyes welcome to yankee stadium, some of the other hits where there is minimal Gath and max crowd). My logic behind that is this is supposed to be a live experience, so the full album may be more produced with less ‘live show grit’ and more polished versions. That would fit more with Garth’s quality controlled brand.

Edit to add:
    I’d also really like to hear the talk into Thunder rolls on the album. Though, it’s slot behind Ask Me How I know (or whatever new single) is sort of contextually important to that setup.
    Last edited by StormHawk; 09-02-2018 at 05:08 PM.

I'm really enjoying this. It has a much more life feel than double live did.

I absolutely love Guy Going Nowhere. I think it has a Jackson Browne feel to it.

After a week with it, I have to say that I still just don't like it. I actually like Double Live better between the two.

I don't get the 'live' feeling on this, only a feeling of someone forcing effects on me to cover up something in the mix or make me feel like it is more live than it is. In DL the tracks from Coast 2 Coast, and the TIGB/2 specials were obvious. I feel the Ryman tracks are the same on TL. I could make the exception with "Whiskey To Wine", but the other tracks from there just feel so out of place. Even the crowd on those feels so small. I thought TL was a reflection on the tour, which I never considered the Ryman show a part of. It was a one-off, not an actual 'tour' show. Just don't think it should be included. I feel the same for the Houston shows, and the specific inclusion of "Fireman". That one doesn't even feel fun after the initial shock of hearing it. It sounds too patched up and rehearsed - not the way many of these housekeeping songs sounded on tour.

The Wall of Sound bothers me even more on here than it did at the shows. I can't stand it, think it is distracting, and this mix drops them all over the place at times. They are used to cover things up in certain spots, and highlight spots in other places that were never highlighted at the actual shows.

Guy Going Nowhere was cute at first. After the 3 or 4 listen, I'm over it. Just like the sequel "This Road I'm On", I really can't relate the way I feel I'm supposed to. I get the impression that it should be viewed as a larger metaphor concerning life as a whole, follow your dreams, don't listen to the naysayers..... But all I hear is "hey, suck it, I'm famous and you told me I wouldn't be". Good for you, happy for you. But there are plenty of other songs I'd rather hear that I can actually relate to.

More Than A Memory - just horrible on this version, when compared to the DL version. The crowd alone swings this one for me. The DL version was captured right when that song hit the top, during the 'retirement', and you can FEEL it in the crowd. This version.....meh. Just how I imagine Ask Me How I Know will feel on Quadruple Live (limited edition backstage bus drivers mix).

That Summer - better on DL. The River - better on DL. FILP - far better on DL. 2PC - DL. Thunder - DL (really miss the tribal yell before the 3 verse on this tour, heard it every time but is absent on TL). Unanswered Prayers - just don't need another version of this, until he decides to stop faking an 'O' every time he plays it. Kind of how River has become. I digress.

If I mix the two albums together, I'm left with only Ask Me How I Know, People Loving People.........and that's it, off TL. The rest are served in a more entertaining capacity on DL, or are filler that is not needed/wanted to begin with for me.

DL had the feeling of being tinkered with, un-live stuff tacked on, etc. Even with that, the producing was head and shoulders above what TL has in this package. There are multiple performances of a song stitched together in TL, but I'm unsure why. In spots it feels like they just left something off-key on purpose, to avoid the same 'overdub!' cry from DL, yet change to an entirely different performance a minute later. Then, at the end, change to yet another performance just to get a certain crowd reaction. If you haven't noticed this yet, don't search for it. Completely ruins the thing for me once I figured it out on one song. Dug into it, and my checks were on point. Then I had to start checking other songs.....and I can't listen to it anymore.

I'll give the 'normal' mix a fresh take when it comes out, to be fair to it. As for the 'fan mix' - it's done for me and already deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by GBJR77 View Post
    ...Quadruple Live (limited edition backstage bus drivers mix).

I think it's safe to say that I am enjoying this album much more than you, but the above part of your post made me laugh! I can just hear Garth saying "and now you can hear what the shows sound like to the bus drivers sitting backstage in the garage... it's really cool and really helps you feel like you're right there and part of the crew!!"

It's funny. After a week I have fallen in love with it. It's how it was when you were there.

I honestly haven't listened to any songs other than People Loving People, Ain't Goin Down, Tacoma, Ask Me How I know, Fishin In The Dark, Mom, Whiskey To Wine and We Shall Be Free.

It is safe to say the live ambience is much much better than the horrid (IMO) Double Live! If the tracklisting is expanded for Triple Live I will definitely buy it.

Now I need to import the tracks to audacity as I really want the stage mix to dominate instead of the 50/50 split we get now.

I find all the different views of Triple Live fascinating.

I think it's safe to say that I am enjoying this album much more than you, but the above part of your post made me laugh! I can just hear Garth saying "and now you can hear what the shows sound like to the bus drivers sitting backstage in the garage... it's really cool and really helps you feel like you're right there and part of the crew!!"
    "And without those guys in the crew, kickin' ass and helping us do our job, it could not be done. So to be able to present this mix to you all, it's a beautiful thing".

I can totally see him putting that out if it got him another triple platinum certification.

Question: if Garth played The River did he ask any of you to light up your cell phone flashlights? I was at the three shows in San Antonio and I joined the crowd in turning on my cell phone flashlight. I ask because I think I was at one of the shows where The River was recorded live.

No... I fired up my flamethrower... It was cool!

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Question: if Garth played The River did he ask any of you to light up your cell phone flashlights? I was at the three shows in San Antonio and I joined the crowd in turning on my cell phone flashlight. I ask because I think I was at one of the shows where The River was recorded live.
    He did the "Light em up" bit during The River in all 3 shows I saw.

I did 14 shows and I think he said “light em up” at every single one.

I was at the Saturday night concert that started super late, what a great night that was

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    I was at the Saturday night concert that started super late, what a great night that was
    I was at the Sunday night show. He talked how great Sat. night was! LOL

Not sure if this has been brought up yet but does anyone notice that the crowd noise has a weird 'metallic' sound on some of the tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    Not sure if this has been brought up yet but does anyone notice that the crowd noise has a weird 'metallic' sound on some of the tracks?
    That's been driving me crazy I thought my Bluetooth headphones where giving out
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

All it is is muffled background noise and radio chatter.
    “Ok, Tony. It looks like winch 4 on the main light rig is down. Go to light show C.”
    “I see a sign for a lady on chemo in the back left corner under the big Chick Fil A sign. Somebody bring her to the front and Garth will do Red Strokes to her.”
    “Damn, I shouldn’t have eaten between shows. Bill, cover my board while I run to the ****ter.”

Quote Originally Posted by StormHawk View Post
    All it is is muffled background noise and radio chatter.
    “Ok, Tony. It looks like winch 4 on the main light rig is down. Go to light show C.”
    “I see a sign for a lady on chemo in the back left corner under the big Chick Fil A sign. Somebody bring her to the front and Garth will do Red Strokes to her.”
    “Damn, I shouldn’t have eaten between shows. Bill, cover my board while I run to the ****ter.”
    I laughed way to hard at this I couldn't totally see Garth doing something like this LMAO
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

Papa loved mama... in my experience on this tour it never got the album lead in. Just a big chord, a few symbols and away with the verse. Was this off of Atlanta or maybe Yankee Stadium?

I can’t believe there’s still no HD cover available!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by pudge104 View Post
    I can’t believe there’s still no HD cover available!
    Well, there is this ...

https://i0.wp.com/www.twistermc.com/...over.jpg?ssl=1
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread