+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has Garth got the courage to do a REAL Live Anthology

Has Garth got the courage to do a REAL Live Anthology

Garth Brooks has a lot going on. A Live album
    and a studio album, a appearance at the Grand Old
    Orpy, a concert at Notre Dame stadium, are all
    suppose to be coming up in the next few months.

His Live Anthology is the thing that may end up
    defining his legacy, it all depends if Garth has the
    balls and integrity to show respect to what an
    Anthology should be.

An Anthology just can't be like a greatest hits,
    or a box set, or a collection, he's done plenty of
    those in the past, it has to a complete unaltered
    history of his career, he doesn't get a second chance
    to do his own Anthology of his early days of touring.

The Live Anthology due for release in the next few
    months, will be based on Garth's first two tours,
    1991/1992 and 1993/94, 1994 being the only world
    tour Garth Brooks has ever done.

Garth has two options, he can produce a Faux Live
    Anthology which may just contain, what the 1998 Entertainer
    Box set had, and that is a DVD of his four big TV specials
    This is Garth Brooks, This is Garth Brooks 2, Ireland and
    Back and Garth Live from Central Park, with just a fancy
    booklet talking about those shows.

Or he can produce a Live Anthology that contains countless
    hours upon hours of never released concert footage from
    concerts from Germany, Norway, Spain, Scotland, New
    Zealand and Australia, they were all filmed, he can release
    footage from concerts in Phoenix, Seattle, Boston, from
    his early days where he was such a wild man on stage and
    nothing was out of bounds.

The Dream Chasers, and Crazy Duck Productions, the
    people he hired to film his early days must have a mountain
    of archival footage that Garth owns the rights to, that
    will fit in perfectly with an Live Anthology.

Because that is what a Live Anthology should be,
    the raw footage, the footage that shows that time
    period in the early 90's where the fans were just
    as crazy as he was, that time in music history
    where no matter what genre you loved, it was
    Garth that you most wanted to see.

I know the footage exists and Garth has the rights
    to it, I only hope that he has enough courage to
    include it in the Live Anthology and it
    just doesn't end up being rehashed TV specials.

Garth gets one chance to do a Live Anthology of
    his early days, one chance to show the world
    what he was like as a performer then, one chance
    to show the world, footage that they have never
    seen before.

Will he take that chance?

Time will tell.

Doubtful.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I'll simply say this..

Brett- he will NEVER be able to do something that will meet the expectations and desires you have.. It simply isn't possible. no matter what he did, you wouldn't be able to be totally happy with it- there would be something missing... something not international enough.. or raw enough etc... I'm sorry to sound like a pain but that's the truth- your expectations are way too high

Now, will he do something even closely akin to what you're talking about here? I would love to see it myself- but as Garthmedic says.. 'doubtful'.. the first live anthology will (whether he admits to it or not ) I'd bet, be largely drawn from TIGB, TIGB2, Ireland and Back, CP. It'll be over produced/added to/perfected/touched up.. Garth's too much of a dinosaur and a thick headed stubborn person to let the fans who have clamored for it have what they TRULY want. either his fear, or his ego, one of them will keep him from it...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I'll simply say this..

Brett- he will NEVER be able to do something that will meet the expectations and desires you have.. It simply isn't possible. no matter what he did, you wouldn't be able to be totally happy with it- there would be something missing... something not international enough.. or raw enough etc... I'm sorry to sound like a pain but that's the truth- your expectations are way too high

Now, will he do something even closely akin to what you're talking about here? I would love to see it myself- but as Garthmedic says.. 'doubtful'.. the first live anthology will (whether he admits to it or not ) I'd bet, be largely drawn from TIGB, TIGB2, Ireland and Back, CP. It'll be over produced/added to/perfected/touched up.. Garth's too much of a dinosaur and a thick headed stubborn person to let the fans who have clamored for it have what they TRULY want. either his fear, or his ego, one of them will keep him from it...
    But I have high hopes, I have high hopes, I have high in the sky in the sky hopes.

I know I come across that way, and fair play that people think that too, because of the posts I do here.

But in fairness to myself.

Garth Brooks's New Zealand concert in 1994 FAR EXCEEDED my wildest expectations.
    Garth's phoenix concert in 1996 FAR EXCEEDED my wildest expectations.
    Garth at the 2010 WYNN concert FAR EXCEEDED my wild expectations.

Nearly all of Garth's studio albums FAR EXCEEDED my wild expectations.

The boxset/collections/announcements have been on par or below.

Again, I can see why you said, what you said skywise, I do come across that way, that is true.

And I do know full well, that there wont be over 50 hours of unseen footage for the Live Anthology. That would be asking too much.

Believe me I will be over the moon if there is footage from concerts that has never been released before, even just a little bit. That will FAR EXCEED my expectations
    and I will be happy with it.

If there is zero new/unseen footage, then I will be unhappy with it. If this is the case, I hope though there is a booklet where he talks about the tv specials and WE LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

Last year seinfeld came to New Zealand to do standup, I went in with crazxy high expectations, expectations that were unfair to Seinfeld, ones that not even he could meet, and in the end,
    SEINFELD FAR FAR EXCEEDED those expectations.

Again this is an anthology, not a boxset/collection.

If Garth can get anywhere near my crazy expectations then I will be happy! :-)
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 08-13-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Honestly, I didn't even know an Anthology was a thing until Garth. That plays to my musical fan ignorance. So I'm enjoying whatever he puts out.
    Last edited by garthcop; 08-13-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typo

I think there is a balance here. There is a lot of truth to Skywiseís assertions about expectations. Itís easy to be unrealistic because there are things we want. I think it is not even debatable that the Big 4 shows (TIGB, TIGB 2, Central Park & Ireland) will get attention. The question becomes how much or how little? I also think itís a fair question to ponder how much emphasis will be put on other aspects of the tours?

For me, Iím keeping my expectations low. I do think it is possible we get what was in the Entertainer box with a book. However, Iím hoping we get some extra stuff from the Big 4 shows OR EVEN BETTER stuff from the tours no one has seen. I just donít think we can EXPECT that. If we do there is a real chance we will be disappointed. We just wonít know until itís close to arriving.

In other words, Iím cautiously hopeful.

I really don't expect much. I assume that, much like the first Anthology, the live volume will focus on many of the stories we've already heard: that he copied Chris LeDoux's show, that he wanted to bring a rock style show to country, and about how he tries to connect with as many people as he can during the shows, etc. It'll also have stories from various bandmembers and industry insiders, etc, telling about how Garth's show was legendary and how it changed things in country music. It'll focus hard on the TV specials and the big concerts from back in the day. And it'll have tons of photos.

As for the music or DVDs that will be included, I imagine we'll get many of the same DVDs that were in the Entertainer box (perhaps now in HD on Blu-ray), and maybe a couple of CDs resembling what he did with "The Road" discs in the Ultimate Collection box (where they had a sample of songs from Double Live with a few previously unreleased tracks thrown in). But that's about it! And frankly, I think that'd be enough. The purpose of an Anthology is to document history. So it'd be stupid to put it out under that guise and then ignore or leave out some of the most historical concerts Garth has done simply because we already got them in another boxed set 12 years ago.

And let's face it, Garth will never give us something completely raw that hasn't been doctored, fixed up, and sterilized in the studio. So if that's what we're hoping for, then sorry to say but we're going to be disappointed.

All that said, my one wish for the Anthology would be 2 CDs containing a complete show from the 97-98 tour, from start to finish, as it was played, in the order it was played, including all encores and housekeeping, etc. Just one complete show. He can doctor it up, fix any mistakes, and sterilize it all he wants. But still just one complete show. Again, I have almost zero hope that we'll get something like that, so I won't be disappointed when it doesn't show up. But still it's at the top of my wishlist.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 08-13-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I really don't expect much. I assume that, much like the first Anthology, the live volume will focus on many of the stories we've already heard: that he copied Chris LeDoux's show, that he wanted to bring a rock style show to country, and about how he tries to connect with as many people as he can during the shows, etc. It'll also have stories from various bandmembers and industry insiders, etc, telling about how Garth's show was legendary and how it changed things in country music. It'll focus hard on the TV specials and the big concerts from back in the day. And it'll have tons of photos.

As for the music or DVDs that will be included, I imagine we'll get many of the same DVDs that were in the Entertainer box (perhaps now in HD on Blu-ray), and maybe a couple of CDs resembling what he did with "The Road" discs in the Ultimate Collection box (where they had a sample of songs from Double Live with a few previously unreleased tracks thrown in). But that's about it! And frankly, I think that'd be enough. The purpose of an Anthology is to document history. So it'd be stupid to put it out under that guise and then ignore or leave out some of the most historical concerts Garth has done simply because we already got them in another boxed set 12 years ago.

And let's face it, Garth will never give us something completely raw that hasn't been doctored, fixed up, and sterilized in the studio. So if that's what we're hoping for, then sorry to say but we're going to be disappointed.

All that said, my one wish for the Anthology would be 2 CDs containing a complete show from the 97-98 tour, from start to finish, as it was played, in the order it was played, including all encores and housekeeping, etc. Just one complete show. He can doctor it up, fix any mistakes, and sterilize it all he wants. But still just one complete show. Again, I have almost zero hope that we'll get something like that, so I won't be disappointed when it doesn't show up. But still it's at the top of my wishlist.
    Actually thats very good points, it does seem crazy to document history and leave out his four big tv specials, I do hope since its going to focus on his early days of touring we do get someone outside of those four concerts. Yes a disc
    with one complete concert will be cool, I guess we have to wait and see, it will also be great to se ehow he evovled his show and how it came to be, (as you mentioned the Chris LeDoux thing) HD footage of TIGB would be great too.

I've always had the theory that he holds on to so much stuff so that after he's gone he'll continue to issue music and other material through his estate. I know it's kind of morbid to think about, but he's a smart business man. I'm sure he's got his kids and grandkids taken care of but this would provide more income. I'm sure there's a ton in the vault as well as he's mentioned before that all his show's are recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I do hope since its going to focus on his early days of touring we do get someone outside of those four concerts.
    Now that would be a nice thing- dont' know if it'll happen but it'd be a nice thing!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

The one thing that hasn't really been mentioned in this whole discussion is what the format for the Live Anthology will be like. For the first Anthology we got a book and 5 CDs. Are all of them going to be formatted this way or will there be variation? Clearly we are getting a book with each one, but is 5 CDs going to be the standard? Could we get 5 DVDs instead of CDs? Could there be a mix of 5 CDs/DVDs? Is it possible the number changes and it could be any number (like maybe 10)? Not sure anyone but Garth and his team knows.

I feel like for the Live Anthology there will have to be some sort of DVD component, but do we actually know this for sure? Sure, he has mentioned the DVD Anthology series, but we have none of those released yet and nothing has been said since the Billboard article last year about it.

If the Live Anthology is 5 CDs I do think that opens it up for a lot of interesting audio. With the exception of a few unreleased live tracks on The Ultimate Collection we really only have Double Live as live audio from Garth. So 5 CDs leaves room for a lot of interesting tracks.

If the Live Anthology is 5 DVDs my guess would be that we get the "Big 4 shows" and maybe one other item. (Maybe a show from one of the World Tours - one can dream). I do feel like the "Big 4" shows would need to have something different to them if they are released again. Maybe they add in the songs that were performed at those concerts, but cut from the TV specials. I'm pretty sure Central Park is the only one of those shows that the entire show was available in sequence (the original VHS release had the encore which was cut from the HBO special). I just don't like the butchered up versions of the specials we primarily got on The Entertainer box set.

If it is a mix of CDs/DVDs I think the number of discs will play a big role on how much "new" stuff we get. If we get 5 then I think it really limits the potential of how much "new" material we see. If that number is larger, say closer to 10 - maybe 5 CDs/5 DVDs, then the options are endless for the stuff we could see.

My point is the format for this Live Anthology is going to play a HUGE role in the whole thing. Since none of us knows what that format will be it is hard to even hazard a guess. I just have a gut feeling we are getting the "Big 4" on DVD. My hope is that they are the complete shows which have never been seen. If we are lucky we might get a show from each of the 2 World Tours. I've not really expecting it, but I hope that is the case.

After writing the post above it kind of hit me what I hope we see. I know what I am about to write is probably completely unrealistic and I DO NOT EXPECT this is what we will get. I'm simply saying if someone asked me, which they obviously didn't, this is what I'd want to see.

I would love to see a bigger set of about 10 discs. Since it is an Anthology which is used to document the live history of his career it actually makes a lot of sense that TIGB, TIGB 2, Central Park and Ireland are included. As I've mentioned a couple of times, what would make that rerelease worth it to me personally would be the complete, unedited shows. What I mean by unedited is the full setlist in its entirety, encores and all. You know that was all captured on film. I don't care if they overdubbed it, mixed it and doctored it up. That's fine. Just release the fulls shows.

I also think it makes a lot of sense to include one complete show from each tour. It seems to me a complete TIGB show would kind of cover the Ropin' The Wind Tour. That leaves the 2 World Tours. Although technically TIGB 2, Central Park and Ireland cover those tours those are kind of unique shows. I think it would be interesting to see regular arena shows from the 2 World Tours. We know that World Tour I was captured by Crazy Duck (or whatever they were called) so it seems that would be available. Don't know if the other tour (1996-1998) ever had a show full recorded, but if so that should be an option for a disc.

That would leave us with 6 DVDs. I think I'd like to see some sort of documentary about the tours with behind the scene footage, stories, etc. I think this may be covered in the DVD series if it ever actually comes out. That would be 7 DVDs and leave us with maybe 3 audio discs. I think this could cover some of the "hits" that he would inevitably include, and I would be OK with. However, about a disc worth of material ought to be some unique songs that were played. How about "We're An American Band"? How about "Face To Face", "Wild Horses", "The Race Is On", "We Bury The Hatchet", "What She's Doing Now"? Those were all songs that were in his sets throughout the years played by the FULL BAND! There are no reasons there can't be a few tunes like that to round out the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    After writing the post above it kind of hit me what I hope we see. I know what I am about to write is probably completely unrealistic and I DO NOT EXPECT this is what we will get. I'm simply saying if someone asked me, which they obviously didn't, this is what I'd want to see.
    . what'd. you want to see? (ok had to ask ).

I would love to see a bigger set of about 10 discs. Since it is an Anthology which is used to document the live history of his career it actually makes a lot of sense that TIGB, TIGB 2, Central Park and Ireland are included.
    . let's see, if they follow the other anthology format a bit.... TIGB was released in 1992... (I think- in January...). TIGB2 was may of 1994 if memory serves.. I&B? ehh that's 1998, and CP was in 1997..

you could have each full (hopefully ) show in the set, bookmarking each disc. TIGB, TIGB2, CP, I&B. Each disc could then have interviews, or background materials, or 'extras' around each show. THEN, in a 5th disc, you could have maybe snippets, etc. from the tours (media events/promotions, appearances, etc..). I know it's a lot of licensing work maybe, but think about it- Garth could make it happen. Think KISS doing their 'Kissology' series.... some great tidbits on that set including live shows.. PLUS (knowing Garth's penchant for sales).. you could have diff. stores (amazon, target, Walmart, etc.) getting diff. bonus discs (again kinda like KISS did w/ a diff. bonus disc for bestbuy, Walmart, and amazon/other retailers)... with diff. tidbits.. makes for collections, resale, you name it.. it's a thought anyway

As I've mentioned a couple of times, what would make that rerelease worth it to me personally would be the complete, unedited shows. What I mean by unedited is the full setlist in its entirety, encores and all. You know that was all captured on film. I don't care if they overdubbed it, mixed it and doctored it up. That's fine. Just release the fulls shows.
    hate to say that it'll prob. never happen but it would be nice for certain

I also think it makes a lot of sense to include one complete show from each tour. It seems to me a complete TIGB show would kind of cover the Ropin' The Wind Tour. That leaves the 2 World Tours. Although technically TIGB 2, Central Park and Ireland cover those tours those are kind of unique shows. I think it would be interesting to see regular arena shows from the 2 World Tours. We know that World Tour I was captured by Crazy Duck (or whatever they were called) so it seems that would be available. Don't know if the other tour (1996-1998) ever had a show full recorded, but if so that should be an option for a disc.
    hehe there are recordings in video of the other tour (I can think of Atlanta, Charlotte (I think), Winston Salem, Philadelphia (I think) to name a few)... but this is a good point, though it does lend itself to the 'big 4' being a focal part of each disc..

However, about a disc worth of material ought to be some unique songs that were played. How about "We're An American Band"? How about "Face To Face", "Wild Horses", "The Race Is On", "We Bury The Hatchet", "What She's Doing Now"? Those were all songs that were in his sets throughout the years played by the FULL BAND! There are no reasons there can't be a few tunes like that to round out the collection.
    that would be the pipe dream but a good one to have. I know he did we bury the hatchet at the concert in Denver in 1996.. I remember it as he said he was rusty with it. they did We're an American band in pueblo co in 1993 as the encore (or part of it).. so yeah there's stuff there

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I'll throw one more thing out there.

I think it is inevitable the "Big 4" shows get a lot of time in the new Anthology, but I would be totally OK if there was just a "chapter" in the book about each of them and all the audio and video was "new" stuff from the tour.

Again, I don't EXPECT this. Just saying that would be amazing.

I would like to see a true live version of "The Old Stuff" from the 97-98 tour released as well.

Im still so looking forward to the anthology, more so than the new live album and the new studio, fingers are crossed that it does have a doco feel done with class to it.

Find this old thread, it appears Garth has over 200 hours of footage from his 1994 world tour, that was filmed by the dream chasers.

And yes I know that doesnt mean he will include any of it in the anthology, but he does have the footage.

http://www.planetgarth.com/forums/sh...the-Walls-quot

Just been on the web, and it appears that Kiss will release part four of Kissology this fall in the USA.

Would that have any effect on Garth's release date for the Live Anthology? It wouldnt be delayed because he
    doesnt want to release it at the same time???

Brett- not that i've been on the web a lot looking at KISS stuff recently ( ) but where was that announced? that sounds like it'd be interesting to see what they'll release... will it delay Garth? I doubt it.. KISS is far from the relevant force they were...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Brett- not that i've been on the web a lot looking at KISS stuff recently ( ) but where was that announced? that sounds like it'd be interesting to see what they'll release... will it delay Garth? I doubt it.. KISS is far from the relevant force they were...
    I did a google search for Kissology 4, just wanted to compare how they did their anthology series.

It came up with some links from July of this year, saying it will be released in the fall.

https://sleazeroxx.com/kiss-bassist-...ing-their-time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPZXWZcUrIk

yeah ,unfortunately that's the same stuff that's been bandied about for a while.. there are interviews back a few years saying much the same.. With Paul and Gene off doing things (art, the 'vault', etc..) I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll come out... which would make it's interaction poss. with Garth's anthology moot...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread